Tips for Bayport Terminal

chrismch

We plan to drive to Bayport Terminal in November for a cruise on the Norwegian Jewel, do they ever have fog at the end of November? We will probably stay overnight near the port, does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

Any port can have fog! However, most of the fog down here in the Galveston/Houston area occurs in January, February, early March. This year has not been the norm. November is usually OK.

• 5 months later...
We are flying into IAH from Boston and I am not looking forward to the logistics of this cruise. We are flying in the night before, staying at the airport Marriott and taking Princess transportation to the port. Our problem is the return. I wish I had known about the fog issues but I booked my airfare well in advance to the first cruises out of this port. I would have stayed over in Houston and flown home to Boston the following day. Now if I miss my 1:30 flight (time recommended by cruise line) I will have to rebook my airfare and find a place to stay. I am so unsure of this that I am booking a hotel room now that I can cancel on that day. I am also going to familiarize myself with lots of different options for flying home. This is too much work for a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing. Next year's Caribbean cruise is already booked for Fort Lauderdale.

I am booked to do the exact same thing in November. Stay at the Houston International Airport Marriott through Princess and taking Princess transportation to the ship. How did this work out for you? I was also wondering what time the transportation bus leaves the hotel for the ship.

Thank you for your comments.

We are looking at a cruise departing from Bayport this fall, and I'm nervous about sailing out of and returning to this port. No hotels near port, weather delays, Houston Hobby in less than desirable area (so not many nice hotels to stay at the night before).

Can anyone who had a successful sailing out of this port chime in with their experience(s)?

I just decided to watch this thread.

We were on the very first cruise and we found it wonderful.

The employs in the terminal were all new to the port and yet I thought they did a great job.

Ye, it was a little slower, but we’ve certainly has a lot worse at other ports.

We were very near “on time” both directions.

I’ll read through & try to answer some questions.

We live in Houston.

Oh, the Best Western Plus (all suites) is probably the closest to the port and they offer free shuttle to and from the port.

Other hotels offer shuttles but charge $8 to $10 PER PERSON each way.

The Best Western costs about $125 I think and their shuttle will take you anywhere within 5 miles - except on cruise days (Sat & Sun) when they are busy with port runs.

There is a small market next door to the hotel.

There are nice hotels near Hobby - Marriott and some others.

The area isn’t that bad.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

Missed port in Belize in order to turn back to Houston to avoid fog. Currently sailing very rough seas. Delays getting in and early departure. This trip is less than ideal. Will not sail Houston again!!!!

So sorry for your bad experience.

I live in Houston and we’ve cruised out of Bayport once (no delays either way) and we’ve cruised out of Galveston many times (No delays either way).

The hotels near the ports are reasonably priced, yet they are very nice.

I wish you’d reconsider.

We’ve had problems at other ports with weather, delays, etc. but would not rule them out for future travel.

Things happen everywhere.

I guess it’s the “home” instinct to defend our own places.

Judy

We plan to drive to Bayport Terminal in November for a cruise on the Norwegian Jewel, do they ever have fog at the end of November? We will probably stay overnight near the port, does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

I’ve never had problems with fog when wve cruised from Bayport or Galveston.

Consider taking a shuttle to Seabrook or Kemah & getting a hotel there.

Best Western Plus has a free shuttle to the port & back.

This free shuttle will take you anywhere onMonday - Friday within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

This includes Kemah Boardwalk, but not NASA.

NASA is a wonderful tour and is only 7 miles from the hotel.

The hotel is between 2 & 3.5 miles from the port.

(Depends on where you look, but I think closer to 3.5.

(Not far at all.)

Shuttles on Sat & Sun are reserved for runs to abad from the port.

We’ll be on the Jewel December 6.

Can’t wait.

Judy

Never heard of ship tour nor did I see anything but long term parking for cruise passengers. This area as someone else posted is VERY industrial. It's a ways down that road back to the road to Kemah and the main drag where NASA and the other things you referenced. It's also quite a ways from I-45. We went last month and didn't find any hotels that had parking/shuttle as a perk for a pre or post nite stay. Hence we stayed on GI and drove back the next morning and parked @ the terminal. There may be such hotel offerings now but I couldn't locate that in my research and I checked off and on for months. It would certainly be a draw to some of these hotels to offer that tho as several on GI do for departures over there.

Seabrook, Kemah, and LaPorte have the closest hotels.

The Best Western Plus in Seabrook has a free shuttle to and from the port.

Judy

TIP: Hotels With Amenities

Last year, Princess' hotel package at the downtown Four Seasons was the most appealing because it included parking, transport to/from ship, and you are near (walking distance or clean fast light rail) SO MANY attractions like museums, parks, plays, and music. This Princess package sells out quickly though.

If you want to be across the street from a grocery store and next door to breakfast: Candlewood in LaPorte. Shuttle to/from port for a fee (hotel contracts a 3rd party).

If you mainly want to stay next door to a liquor store: Hampton Clear Lake. No shuttle as of last December but short taxi ride.

This year, expect a lot more hotels to be offering shuttles and cruiser amenities... They see the $$$ going to other hotels and get the picture.

Expect more presence this season from taxi, Uber and Lyft transport services too.

We tried cruising from FLL last spring and compared. While we enjoyed the novelty of Water Taxis, the cruise port experience wasn't All That like some say. My wife is no distance walker so we were having to jump in a taxi for $10 or more every time we went anywhere. (and driving our own car would have incurred mega-bucks in parking fees.) The first hotel was so disappointing we changed to Embassy Suites (a really nice property). Loved Southport Raw Bar but hey, there's no shortage of good seafood in Houston either.

Bayport just needs some more itineraries.

Sea y'all on the high seas!

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

TIP: Hotels With Amenities

Last year, Princess' hotel package at the downtown Four Seasons was the most appealing because it included parking, transport to/from ship, and you are near (walking distance or clean fast light rail) SO MANY attractions like museums, parks, plays, and music. This Princess package sells out quickly though.

If you want to be across the street from a grocery store and next door to breakfast: Candlewood in LaPorte. Shuttle to/from port for a fee (hotel contracts a 3rd party).

If you mainly want to stay next door to a liquor store: Hampton Clear Lake. No shuttle as of last December but short taxi ride.

This year, expect a lot more hotels to be offering shuttles and cruiser amenities... They see the $$$ going to other hotels and get the picture.

Expect more presence this season from taxi, Uber and Lyft transport services too.

there's no shortage of good seafood in Houston either.

Bayport just needs some more itineraries.

Sea y'all on the high seas!

Don’t forget The Hampton Inn Plus in Seabrook.

All are suites.

One of the closest to port.

Reasonable prices

Free internet

Free breakfast

FREE shuttle to port and back.

Mon - Fri - free shuttle within 5 mile radius of Hotel

Small store next door.

Last Easter, April 2014, my daughter, granddaughter and I flew to IAH from Edmonton, AB. We arranged a shuttle from IAH to the Kemah Boardwalk Inn. We only had one night there - it was Good Friday - and there was a Crawfish Festival going on that evening. Kemah has so much entertainment to enjoy - we felt that we had a full vacation before our Caribbean Princess cruise even started! On Saturday morning we took a hotel-arranged shuttle to Bayport, just a short ride away, and had no delays embarking. Great cruise destinations (our 4th time on this itinerary, but first time from Bayport). After disembarking we went to Johnson Space Center for a few hours before heading back to IAH for our 5 p.m. flight home. The previous year we took the Princess excursion to the Space Center, and only had one hour there before we were sent off to the airport, where we had several hours to pass before our scheduled flight. We definitely had better luck with our independent arrangements.

We will definitely return to Kemah before or after another cruise, hopefully will be able to spend more time there. My daughter is a teacher, so the holiday restrictions are an issue for us.

Last Easter, April 2014, my daughter, granddaughter and I flew to IAH from Edmonton, AB. We arranged a shuttle from IAH to the Kemah Boardwalk Inn. We only had one night there - it was Good Friday - and there was a Crawfish Festival going on that evening. Kemah has so much entertainment to enjoy - we felt that we had a full vacation before our Caribbean Princess cruise even started! On Saturday morning we took a hotel-arranged shuttle to Bayport, just a short ride away, and had no delays embarking. Great cruise destinations (our 4th time on this itinerary, but first time from Bayport). After disembarking we went to Johnson Space Center for a few hours before heading back to IAH for our 5 p.m. flight home. The previous year we took the Princess excursion to the Space Center, and only had one hour there before we were sent off to the airport, where we had several hours to pass before our scheduled flight. We definitely had better luck with our independent arrangements.

We will definitely return to Kemah before or after another cruise, hopefully will be able to spend more time there. My daughter is a teacher, so the holiday restrictions are an issue for us.

Good for you!

It sounds like you made the best of everything.

I love Kemah Boardwalk.

It is a great place to people watch and there is almost always something going on.

It is so close to the port - as you discovered.

I also love The Space Center. Lots of fun things to do.

Judy

Don’t forget The Hampton Inn Plus in Seabrook.

All are suites.

One of the closest to port.

Reasonable prices

Free internet

Free breakfast

FREE shuttle to port and back.

Mon - Fri - free shuttle within 5 mile radius of Hotel

Small store next door.

Just called and spoke to the Hampton Inn in Seabrook and they do NOT offer a free shuttle, let alone any shuttle, to/from the port or any type of 5 mile radius.

Just called and spoke to the Hampton Inn in Seabrook and they do NOT offer a free shuttle, let alone any shuttle, to/from the port or any type of 5 mile radius.

Then they have recently changed, because when I called a couple of months ago, they did have the shuttle.

I'd call again if I were home.

Sorry for the bad information.

Judy

Then they have recently changed, because when I called a couple of months ago, they did have the shuttle.

I'd call again if I were home.

Sorry for the bad information.

Not a problem! Just wanted to get that update out there before anyone books based off it. We booked anyway and will find alternate transportation - it's only six miles.

I found a Hampton Inn and I found a Best Western Plus on Google.com. But I could not locate a Hampton Inn Plus in Seabrook, TX. Please clarify or send link.

Thank you.

The hotel is called "Hampton Inn Houston NASA-Johnson Space Center." Link below:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-houston-nasa-johnson-space-center-HOUKMHX/index.html

Edited by Jetsgo
Link

I found a Hampton Inn and I found a Best Western Plus on Google.com. But I could not locate a Hampton Inn Plus in Seabrook, TX. Please clarify or send link.

Thank you.

I checked my October 16 posts and they all say Best Western Plus.

I don't know how I switched to Hampton.

Opps.

It is Best Western Plus.

I am in Mass. waiting to board a cruise on Friday.

I do not have that information with me.

I may have just waste a lot of time for you.

Please forgive!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Seabrook Suites: Seabrook Hotel

bwseabrooksuites.com/

(281) 291-9090.

5755 Bayport Blvd, Seabrook, TX, 77586 ...

BEST WESTERN PLUS Seabrook Suites is the closest hotel to Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal.

1 Google review · Write a review - $101▼

5755 Bayport Blvd, Seabrook, TX 77586

(281) 291-9090

This is it!

Judy

• 1 month later...

You can book the Best Western Plus Seabrooke online for about $109/night (plus taxes fees, etc.)

When I called and asked about their cruise package (parking, shuttle) she said you must call us and it costs $139/night.

I wonder if the people who book over the internet at $109/night can get the shuttle and parking for the cruise, and if so, what is the cost?

Just don't want to overpay!

• 3 weeks later...

The terminal is a very nice secured lot and well staffed by local folks that you can understand when you ask a question! Also spring for the extra $10 for the car cover....you'll be glad you did a week later! 😝

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thanks for all the info here.....The Best Weston is the only hotel that I have found that offer a free shuttle but for my stay on 14th March they want a min of a 2 night stay....Hampton Inn offer a shuttle at $10 a person......

does anyone have an idea of price for a princes hotel and transportation package please???

thanks

Mojo65. What rate did you get at the best western Seabrook?

$109 a night with hotels.com but they wont take single night bookings, has to be a min of 2.....I think the best bet is to get a hotel by the airport, and then princess transportation to the port next morning....once I have done this and have firm prices, I will post all the info

thanks

Monique

Hi - I am sailing for the first time out of Bayport next month and I don't fly out until 7pm from IAH on disembarkation day. Any advice for where/how to store luggage until my slight or must I schlep it around with me? Also, any tips for things to do in the area of the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for any advice! Sincerely, Message Board Newbie :)