Tips for Bayport Terminal

chrismch

Hi - I am sailing for the first time out of Bayport next month and I don't fly out until 7pm from IAH on disembarkation day. Any advice for where/how to store luggage until my slight or must I schlep it around with me? Also, any tips for things to do in the area of the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for any advice! Sincerely, Message Board Newbie :)

There is really nothing to do right near the port, as it is in an industrial area. It is around chemical plants and refineries (unless looking at those is your thing :D ). NASA is reasonably close, but, you would have to get some way to get there and no luggage storage. If you were flying out of Hobby you could go get off ship and grab a rental car for the day from there and see some sights. With your flights out of IAH...it really wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. (Figuring off boat by 9, hr commute to airport to get car, and back at airpot to drop off car and check in for flight by 4:30-5, it doesn't leave you much time to see much, You best bet might be to see if there is an post cruise excursion offered, that might be your best and easiest bet.

Good comments and suggestions. We are looking for a hotel close to the port as we are driving in from Florida via Alabama and will probably park during the voyage at the cruise terminal.

Book your parking online and save a few bucks.

It is also easier once you get to the port.

Drop off passengers & luggage, then park & walk back.

Simple.

AT the end of the cruise, my husband goes for the car while I wait at the curb. He comes around, loads the trunk & we are off.

This takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

No traffic if you wait and don't get off with the crowds.

I don't know what it is like for early disembarkation, but it probably isn't too bad then either.

They are very efficient at the port.

Hi - I am sailing for the first time out of Bayport next month and I don't fly out until 7pm from IAH on disembarkation day. Any advice for where/how to store luggage until my slight or must I schlep it around with me? Also, any tips for things to do in the area of the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for any advice! Sincerely, Message Board Newbie :)

See if any car rental will let you rent at Hobby & return to IAH. I think it's worth a try.

Don't miss NASA, maybe a drive downtown, drive through the largest Medical Center, or other drives through the city. Check out The Galleria, The Water Wall, and.....I know I am missing something. Google Houston, thing to do.

If you take the Princess post-cruise excursion, you can leave your luggage on the bus while you are at NASA. The same bus (with your luggage) then takes you to IAH.

Last Easter (2014) we booked independent transport from IAH to Kemah to Bayport to NASA and back to IAH. We had a marvelous independent driver who kept our luggage in his truck while we were at NASA, but I don't think he is doing the IAH trips anymore. Now that Bayport is much busier, he is concentrating on shuttles from Kemah to Bayport and nearby areas. You could check with the Kemah Boardwalk Inn to see who they recommend.

Hope this helps!

thanks for all the info here.....The Best Weston is the only hotel that I have found that offer a free shuttle but for my stay on 14th March they want a min of a 2 night stay....Hampton Inn offer a shuttle at $10 a person......

does anyone have an idea of price for a princes hotel and transportation package please???

thanks

Last year, the Princess package for Hobby Airport travel was a great deal - lodging is at the Four Seasons downtown, near all kinds of food and entertainment, and about $130/person with all transport included. Really nice hotel.

The terminal is a very nice secured lot and well staffed by local folks that you can understand when you ask a question! Also spring for the extra $10 for the car cover....you'll be glad you did a week later! 😝

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input. We booked a reservation to part at the terminal, saved money by paying in advance and also reserved a cover for the car.

We should be able to carry on and off our luggage so this makes a very easy embarkation and disembarkation procedure.

Our hotel of choice is the Drury Inn near the airport. We have enjoyed staying at these properties over the last few years and this one is close enough to the terminal to make short run in the morning.

so for people flying into Houston (Bush) i've booked the County Inn & suites by Carlson Houston Iah Airport South they have a free shuttle from the airport and I paid $70 inc all the taxes and will get a cab in the morning to the cruise port....which I think is the cheapest option, altho I don't know the exact cost of a cab, Uber cabs are about $70, super shuttle is $60 for the 2 of us...and Princess shuttle is $48 per person each way

so for people flying into Houston (Bush) i've booked the County Inn & suites by Carlson Houston Iah Airport South they have a free shuttle from the airport and I paid $70 inc all the taxes and will get a cab in the morning to the cruise port....which I think is the cheapest option, altho I don't know the exact cost of a cab, Uber cabs are about $70, super shuttle is $60 for the 2 of us...and Princess shuttle is $48 per person each way

I see $24 per person each way on the Princess site. Does this change if you fly into IAH vs. HOU? We're coming from southern California, trying to decide on LAX vs. SAN -- logistically SAN is better since we can park at our son's place and save there, but the flights out of LAX are a bit better price. Depending on which airline we choose, we end up in IAH with United and HOU with Southwest. Hope weather is in our favor in late March!

I see $24 per person each way on the Princess site. Does this change if you fly into IAH vs. HOU? We're coming from southern California, trying to decide on LAX vs. SAN -- logistically SAN is better since we can park at our son's place and save there, but the flights out of LAX are a bit better price. Depending on which airline we choose, we end up in IAH with United and HOU with Southwest. Hope weather is in our favor in late March!

I think you'll find that price is for Hobby not Bush.....we are flying cheaply with Spirit, and they don't fly into Hobby!!

I think you'll find that price is for Hobby not Bush.....we are flying cheaply with Spirit, and they don't fly into Hobby!!

We have had excellent service from Uber in SC, MA, and Houston (home).

We are flying home in March and if our friends can't pick us up at IAH, we will use Uber to get home. We are about 40 miles from the airport and I think it will be around $50 for the 2 of us.

You must set up an Uber account before you leave home.

If you do not have an account and want to set up one and you want your first ride free, you can use my code.

We both get one free ride (maximum value is $30 I think.)

My no - judithd13

You can email me if this is not clear.

judydonie at yahoo dot com

We have had excellent service from Uber in SC, MA, and Houston (home).

We are flying home in March and if our friends can't pick us up at IAH, we will use Uber to get home. We are about 40 miles from the airport and I think it will be around $50 for the 2 of us.

You must set up an Uber account before you leave home.

If you do not have an account and want to set up one and you want your first ride free, you can use my code.

We both get one free ride (maximum value is $30 I think.)

My no - judithd13

You can email me if this is not clear.

judydonie at yahoo dot com

thanks, we do have an uber account, we used them in New Orleans when we sailed from there at Xmas!!

Maybe - Princess doesn't distinguish between the two on the page where you set up the transfers; there's only one price option. We were looking at flying United into IAH but decided to go SWA into HOU, so it's become a non-issue.

Now we're wondering whether it's better to get a private car for the 4 of us since it's pretty much the same price -- plus tip, of course. Probably worth a little extra to go that route.

Maybe - Princess doesn't distinguish between the two on the page where you set up the transfers; there's only one price option. We were looking at flying United into IAH but decided to go SWA into HOU, so it's become a non-issue.

Now we're wondering whether it's better to get a private car for the 4 of us since it's pretty much the same price -- plus tip, of course. Probably worth a little extra to go that route.

I agree.....if there's 4 or more then a uber cab/cab/car would be the best way.....there's just two of us, so shuttle I think is the cheaper option....i'm still researching!!

I agree.....if there's 4 or more then a uber cab/cab/car would be the best way.....there's just two of us, so shuttle I think is the cheaper option....i'm still researching!!

Remember that with 4 people, you will need a bigger car.

Uber charges more for bigger, but with 4 paying, it should still be good.

I would check and see how much luggage each type of transportation can handle.

Judy

We were planning on taking the 240pm nonstop back to Nashville from Hobby on Southwest but now I am nervous! We really need the whole day off on monday before going back to work but I did find a nonstop on Monday morning that gets us home at 8:25 which lowers our flight costs for the 6 of us by almost $800. DH doesn't sound thrilled about the idea but then we could get off at our leisure.

We took a cruise out of Bayport in December. We flew in and out of Hobby Airport. We stayed overnight at a Hobby Airport area hotel and looked at the costs for 4 people to travel to Bayport. Pasadena Taxi gave us an estimate of $50 and the quotes we saw for various Uber drivers ranged from a little less than $50 to a lot more. We decided to go with Pasadena Taxi because we were assured of having a vehicle large enough for 4 people and all our bags. The exact fare turned out to be a little less than $50 on a Sunday morning.

Upon our return, we stood in line at the taxi rank at Bayport and just took the taxi they assigned us. It turned out to be another Pasadena Taxi and the driver gave us 3 estimates for our return to Hobby depending on the length of the trip. We chose the "middle" estimate of $60 and that's almost exactly what it cost (without the tip). We got to the airport in the time that our driver said it would take.

I hope this information is useful in determining how much you should expect to spend for taxi transportation between Hobby Airport and the Bayport Cruise Terminal.

We were planning on taking the 240pm nonstop back to Nashville from Hobby on Southwest but now I am nervous! We really need the whole day off on monday before going back to work but I did find a nonstop on Monday morning that gets us home at 8:25 which lowers our flight costs for the 6 of us by almost $800. DH doesn't sound thrilled about the idea but then we could get off at our leisure.

I think I would take the flight on Monday to save $800 but in case you decide to take the 2:40 pm flight on Sunday, I think you should be absolutely fine. Princess says not to book a flight before 1:30 pm, so I had our son, who was the only one flying after our cruise, book his flight for after that time. He booked a flight for 2:20 pm out of Hobby Airport.

The Emerald was an hour late getting back to Bayport and all of the debarkation times were delayed by 30 minutes. We were not doing self-assist debarkation, so our debarkation time was at 9:50, which got delayed to 10:20 am. We had our bags, were through ICE and in our car around 11am. We got our son to the airport around 11:45 am and he sat until 2:20 pm for his flight.

We are leaving Houston on 2/1/15 on Emerald Princess. Our hotel doesn't provide shuttle service and recommended Travel Zone:mad:

Arrangements were made. There were a total of 8 at this hotel and we got together through CC and booked a van. We had all contacted Travel Zone:mad: by the first of the year and were confirmed.

On 1/27/15 got an email from Travel Zone:mad: that all shuttles are cancelled from Jan 30 to Feb 23. No explanation...just cancelled.

One of the members of our group called and asked "why?", the response was that they are "overbooked". For a MONTH!!???:mad:

Another member of our group called and was told that Travel Zone:mad: is no longer servicing the Bayport area.

We scrambled and made other arrangements. Today got a phone call from Travel Zone:mad:. "We now have a vehicle available, would you like to reschedule?" They must be joking!!!

Which is it Travel Zone?? Are you overbooked? Or are you pulling out of Bayport?

Suggestion: don't use Travel Zone!!!!!

I am doing a back-2-back on Emerald Princess. Any suggestions

on things to do on the turn-around day?

Is it possible / expensive to take a cab to Kenmah Boardwalk?

Thank you.

It is not very far to The Kemah Boardwalk.

Try a Taxi Fare Finder online -

I found a site that said a little under 7 miles, 14 - 15 minutes and $20 - $24 - which includes tip.

NASA is another possibility. It is around 9 miles, around 18 minutes and $30 to $34 - includes tip.

These are from a taxi fare finder, so I can not guarantee that the prices are correct. Houston taxis have set rates, but I don't know if Baytown and/or Kemah have the same regulations.

I would not get into a cab without discussing price and this gives you a general idea.

Judy

It is not very far to The Kemah Boardwalk.

Try a Taxi Fare Finder online -

I found a site that said a little under 7 miles, 14 - 15 minutes and $20 - $24 - which includes tip.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm with a few people on the turn-around day, so now we

can all decide if it is worth $50 (round trip), or to just stay

on the ship.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm with a few people on the turn-around day, so now we

can all decide if it is worth $50 (round trip), or to just stay

on the ship.

Be aware that sometimes they will not let you stay on the ship.

They usually have you get off.

Sometimes they will let you back on right away and others tell you you must wait until boarding time.

You may not be able to find out about this until you board.

I think it depends on who is on duty that day.

We've had it many ways.

We have been allowed to stay on, we've had to get off & right back on, we've had to wait until boarding, and once, we not only had to wait, but instead of putting us at the front, we had to wait behind new passengers! We jumped in line on that one (New York City).

Judy