smoking permitted in all cabins ???

CCJack

The cruise lines really need to do something rather than nothing about this issue. Just accepting the fact that their ships are full and not changing with the times will not work for long - especially with all of the ships being built.

CCL spearheaded this little experiment. I was called the Paradise and it failed.

We can harness the power of the atom... we can send messages almost instantaneously around the world... we can take a picture of an individual standing in front of their house from space...

and we can't figure out how to allocate a certain number of cabins on a cruise ship for non-smokers??? C'mon, it can be done and ultimately the cruise line that figures it out will be a step ahead of the others!

Ain't science great:p

Yogi - it's still going to be a "lose lose" situation. Allocate a certain number of cabins for whoever and the next voyage the numbers will be different and people will still complain...."My cabin smells like an ashtray" or I can't smoke in my cabin etc.

The discussion of a "split use ship" (for lack of a better term) seems to be a matter of supply & demand in a free market economy.

There are people who will pay to cruise a non smoking or very limited smoking (Disney) ship.

It didn't work for Carnival. It appears to be working for Disney.

However, many Disney passengers are coming on board for the "Disney Experience" and couldn't care less about their smoking policy. In essence, they are subsidizing those who are on board solely because of the smoking policy.

Which IMHO brings us back to the concept that the cruise lines have no desire to mess with the smoking policy and risk the potential loss of income.

Regarding comments on the leaps and bounds of science: What is the cost of cloning, going to the moon, splitting an atom, and maintaining the internet (see all of the ads and pop ups?)? Yes, in general what we can conceive we can achieve. But at a cost.

Charlie

Cloning sheep, splitting atoms, men on the moon, just who do you guys think are running the cruiselines???? :confused: These things get mentioned in regards to smoking/non smoking cabins, but nobody actually mentioned the millions of dollars it took to accomplish these things??

When someone mentions not wanting alot of children, or wanting a party atmosphere, or wanting a ship that is more kid friendly, etc... you have those that say "cruise so and so if you don't like it"... guess the same thing could be said, if you want a non smoking cabin, cruise Disney :p (guess it's easy to see now that the "cruise another line" theory isn't always the easiest answer huh? ;) )

Yes, it certainly has happened

When was that?? I know there have been boiler room fires, etc... but I have not heard where any of the fires were started by cigarettes... where did you see that info? Thanks in advance!!

Cloning sheep, splitting atoms, men on the moon, just who do you guys think are running the cruiselines???? ;) )

The point is that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to please smokers and non-smokers alike. As has been already mentioned, the hotel industry figured it out quite easily. As you can also see from a previous post, one family's vacation was severely impacted negatively by cigarette smoke in the venting system

While it may not be feasible to run a completely smoke free ship it should be easy to designate some cabins as smoke free. I guarantee you that there are enough folks that don't smoke that would find a smoke free room to be an attractive option. While some idiot smokers will smoke in a smoke free room MOST smokers would take the room but not smoke in it. Restaurants made a big deal about separate non-smoking sections until they realized that the non-smoking sections were always full and the smoking section had the empty tables. Bottom line - if Carnival wants to accomodate its passengers (both smoking and non-smoking) then it can do so with no negative impact on the bottom line. I'm not advocating putting the smokers in a dinghy behind the ship but temporary smoke (e.g., in a bar) is completely different from 24/7 smoke in a cabin. I can't say that I've heard of any fires in a cabin but then I haven't following the news on ship incidents that closely. Nevertheless it is an established fact that smoking in bed is a fire risk. I'm sure the cruise lines would prefer not to have to repair burn marks in the carpet and bedspreads (those have been noted by cruise critic passengers).

As has been already mentioned, the hotel industry figured it out quite easily.

As you can also see from a previous post, one family's vacation was severely impacted negatively by cigarette smoke in the venting system

I still don't think the hotel industry and the cruise industry is a fair comparison.

I stand firm in my belief that some people blow things "way" out of proportion.

We just got off the Elation yesterday, and I'm here to tell you our room smelled like an overflowing ashtray. It would almost knock you down every time you opened the door. DH is very allergic to smoke and has a very sensitive sense of smell. The minute we would walk in our cabin, his nose would start running. I on the other hand don't have much of a sense of smell, but I could even smell this.

We talked to the Purser's desk, who said if the ship wasn't full, they could help us, but because it was there was nothing they could do, but give us a fan and a bottle of champagne. It was clearly coming from the a/c vent. We tired closing the vent it wouldn't close all the way. When we told them it was coming from the vent we were told there was no way it could be coming in from someone else's room through the vent system.

DH and I ended up climbing on the bed and covering the vent with drycleaning bags and towels. At one point a corner of the bag came loose and the air started blowing out, so I climbed up to fix it. It was like having someone blow smoke right in my face:mad: . Needless to say, it got rather warm in our room. We ended up leaving the door open anytime we were in our room with our lovely fan sitting in the door, trying to blow in some cool, fresh air. It looked like the Clampitt's Go Cruising!

Our son's were in the room next door to us, and their room was fine, until we put the plastic on our vent. Then their room started stinking. But there's no way the smell could be coming through the vent!

If it was your husbands problem, why didin't you just switch rooms with your kids?

If it was your husbands problem, why didin't you just switch rooms with your kids?

2 reasons

first - our son's suffer from very bad allergies. One son has asthma, that is triggered by smoke.

second - we will not subject our kids and their health to someone else's filthy habit just so that we can be more comoftable.

2 reasons

first - our son's suffer from very bad allergies. One son has asthma, that is triggered by smoke.

second - we will not subject our kids and their health to someone else's filthy habit just so that we can be more comoftable.

As seems to be the case with all non-smokers.

Why can't it just be a bad habit instead of a filthy one?

I always find it somewhat amusing that militant non-smokers assume that the rest of 70% of those who don't smoke are as militant about it as they.

Statistical probability dictates that the vast majority of non-smokers couldn't give a flying fig. They don't smoke because it never occured to them to, not because they are making some sort of political statement.

The cruise lines are well aware of this, and know that previously smoked in rooms would be a real problem for a very small percentage of the population.

As far as Hotels and Restaurants go, they have been dragged kicking a screaming to the non-smoking side because of legislation/city ordanances and for no other reason.

I have a question for the non-smoking lobby. If occasional exposure to second hand smoke is lethal, wouldn't there be no health benefit to a smoker quiting? (sorry about the double negative).

From the number of cigarette burn holes in the bedspreads I've seen I would say their have been quite a few near fires in the staterooms. I guess they were able to snuff them out before it spread to other cabins. The cabins do have smoke detectors in them and I would say that if you were able to get a hold of the ships fire logs you would find many stateroom smoke/fire reports.

That's not going to make CNN news.

The Paradise didn't make it because it was a total non-smoking ship. Even the builders workers could not smoke while building it(I bet that was a happy crew). Disney is not that way. Smoking is allowed in many areas but not in the staterooms. If Disney had more than 2 ships I would sail them again at any price. They are simply that different and unique from the others.

The last survey I heard was a national average in the USA that smokers are down to 23%. I find it hard to believe but If that's trure a split ship would sell out the non-smoking side quicker because non-smokers tend to book earlier since they save more money than smokers because they don't buy cigarettes.

As seems to be the case with all non-smokers.

Why can't it just be a bad habit instead of a filthy one?

Because all of our clothes - even the ones never worn all stunk of smoke. Because it makes your breath, skin, everything around you smell bad. Because it stains walls, furniture, and teeth! It's a bad habit if you have it, but it doesn't offend others. If it requires others-innocent bystanders-to have to wash their hair and clothes to get rid of your smell-its filthy!

I have a question for the non-smoking lobby. If occasional exposure to second hand smoke is lethal, wouldn't there be no health benefit to a smoker quiting? (sorry about the double negative).

LOL Duck, don't let the government even hear you mention the 25% of the population quitting... they wouldn't know what to do without the additional 20+ Billion a year it gets from the taxes :eek:

Well, I knew this would reach this point. This is a no win situation and now all your doing is bashing your heads against a wall. This subject has always been a hot item and no one wins the debate. Just try to agree not to agree. The longer this thread goes on the nastier it gets on both sides.

From the number of cigarette burn holes in the bedspreads I've seen I would say their have been quite a few near fires in the staterooms. I guess they were able to snuff them out before it spread to other cabins. The cabins do have smoke detectors in them and I would say that if you were able to get a hold of the ships fire logs you would find many stateroom smoke/fire reports.

The Paradise didn't make it because it was a total non-smoking ship. Even the builders workers could not smoke while building it(I bet that was a happy crew). Disney is not that way. Smoking is allowed in many areas but not in the staterooms. If Disney had more than 2 ships I would sail them again at any price. They are simply that different and unique from the others.

The last survey I heard was a national average in the USA that smokers are down to 23%. I find it hard to believe but If that's trure a split ship would sell out the non-smoking side quicker because non-smokers tend to book earlier since they save more money than smokers because they don't buy cigarettes.

How would a burn in a bedspread indicate a fire???? I have seen many burns in various things where there was not a fire... logic would indicate that if there was a burn mark there, that there wasn't a fire... wouldn't the bedspread have caught fire??? Or did the fire just jump from that burnhole somewhere else???

I doubt if anyone would intentionally AIM the smoke in your direction. However, if a balcony neighbor intentionally sprayed something in my direction, there would be problems. I am a considerate smoker 99% of the time, but when someone gets in my face waving their arms around when I'm in a designated smoking area, they don't deserve any consideration. More than half the areas in the ship are non-smoking now. IMHO, reverse discrimination. I think the cruise lines have gone overboard trying to appease the non-smokers and they're still not satisfied. They've taken away the right to smoke in restaurants and bars in many states, putting many of the smaller bars out of business. Enough is enough. Smokers have rights too.

BTW, your Febreeze (or any strong perfume scent) would immediately send me into an allergic reaction that severely affects my breathing. So PLEASE keep it on YOUR balcony.

Thank you CrazyMums...Thank you....

What people seem to forget as well is that there are many people from othe countries on these ships....countries where smoking is not viewed as the most disgusting thing since the dawn of time.....Here in California, you cant smoke ANYWHERE! I'm afraid to smoke on my front lawn....come on guys...deal with it or cruise Disney....

I think what made me so mad about the entire thing was that they told us there was no way it could come through the vent, but yet they would never send anyone to actually smell it for themselves.

I bet it was the AC guy on the ship sitting next to the main unit havin' a big Cheech and Chong size smoke :rolleyes:

I bet it was the AC guy on the ship sitting next to the main unit havin' a big Cheech and Chong size smoke :rolleyes:

I think there's probably some truth there! ;) We were really close to the room where the room stewards hang out, and we could never tell for sure, but there was some kind of perforated panel in the ceiling just outiside our cabin, in direct alignment with our air-vent, that we were guessing was the return air vent. We didn't notice any other vents like that in our entire section of the corridor.

Let me just say also that we did not allow this to ruin our trip by any means. It was just frustrating that we spent so much money for this trip, and we couldn't enjoy being in our cabin.

As a former hotel manager, I can tell you absolutely from a logistical point that having smoking and non smoking rooms was a nightmare. If you think that non smoking room you are in hasn't had a smoker in it you would be mistaken.

As for burn holes in bedspreads, firstly, I haven't really seen any because of the synthetic fabric they are made with. Hotel bedspreads (90% of hotels) melt, they don't burn.

As far as a cruise ship goes, I'd be disgusted if I walked into a room that had cigarette burns all over a bedspread and would be finding the hotel manager immediately.

I am coming up on my second anniversary of non smoking and seeing things from both sides, it seems the rabid non smokers are the worst.

Smokers know it is a bad habit and that smoking can kill you. We don't need anyone else telling us this.

Smoking is a drug addiction. Smoking is the fastest delivery system known to man to get nicotine to your brain. You see it isn't the cigarette we are addicted to but the nicotine inside the cigarette (tobacco in its natural form contains very little nicotine, the tobacco companies added the nicotine which is why they are paying billions for education).

What medical science knows about nicotine (very little):

It is the most addictive substance known to man.

It speeds up your mentabolism.

It makes you think sharper (it is being used in clinical trials with Alzhiemers patients).

It takes between 12-60 months to get nicotine out of your body. It embeds itself in your nerve endings.

Sorry for the ranting.

Archived