Any tips for a Windstar newbie?

anonymousegirl

Either you get it or you don't. I can not put a finger on what makes a person not like something but to not like a Windstar cruise is plain strange. In all my cruising I have never had a "bad" time, big ship or little ship. Really folks you on vacation. I wish I could afford all my cruises to be on Windstar.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took this cruise at the end of September, 2013, and found it to be the most enjoyable cruise ever!

About the ship and amenities: There's plenty of storage, but since you bought the laundry package, plan on packing minimal clothing. I am a practical packer, not an overpacker, and found with the laundry service, I could have left about 1/3 of my clothes at home. Even my pjs came back pressed! We always ate breakfast and lunch (when we had lunch on board) in the café on the same deck as the bridge, because we enjoyed sitting on deck. In addition to the buffet, there is a small menu from which to order. I appreciated the salad options at lunch and all the fruit in the morning. The food in the dining room is fine, nothing spectacular. I usually had fresh fish. A fun new experience was the passion fruit sorbet. Do visit the bridge, and also go to the bridge area for the day at sea when they take passenger photos from the bow. In the evening, go to the briefing in the lounge for the next day's port.

We took none of the organized tours. For our one full free day in Istanbul, we hired a private guide we found on tripadvisor.com, and we did the same in Kusadasi for Ephesus. Our rationale was that my husband is hard of hearing and has some difficulty with long walks. This decision was a good one for us. We had great guides each day, and a more personalized experience. The Ephesus tour cost us about $5 less per person than the ship's group tour. In Rhodes and Bodrum and Mykonos, we just wandered the town on our own. We were able to spend more time at Rhodes sites than the tour would have allowed. In Santorini, we took the cable car up to the top, and then found the bus station and took a bus to Oia and back for about 12 Euros total for the 2 of us, versus almost $100 per person for the ship tour. Other passengers caught the ferry in Mykonos to the island with the archeological site.

For August, definitely take plenty of sunscreen, a sun hat, and a water bottle. Even early October was quite hot in Ephesus.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

We took this cruise at the end of September, 2013, and found it to be the most enjoyable cruise ever!

About the ship and amenities: There's plenty of storage, but since you bought the laundry package, plan on packing minimal clothing. I am a practical packer, not an overpacker, and found with the laundry service, I could have left about 1/3 of my clothes at home. Even my pjs came back pressed! We always ate breakfast and lunch (when we had lunch on board) in the café on the same deck as the bridge, because we enjoyed sitting on deck. In addition to the buffet, there is a small menu from which to order. I appreciated the salad options at lunch and all the fruit in the morning. The food in the dining room is fine, nothing spectacular. I usually had fresh fish. A fun new experience was the passion fruit sorbet. Do visit the bridge, and also go to the bridge area for the day at sea when they take passenger photos from the bow. In the evening, go to the briefing in the lounge for the next day's port.

We took none of the organized tours. For our one full free day in Istanbul, we hired a private guide we found on tripadvisor.com, and we did the same in Kusadasi for Ephesus. Our rationale was that my husband is hard of hearing and has some difficulty with long walks. This decision was a good one for us. We had great guides each day, and a more personalized experience. The Ephesus tour cost us about $5 less per person than the ship's group tour. In Rhodes and Bodrum and Mykonos, we just wandered the town on our own. We were able to spend more time at Rhodes sites than the tour would have allowed. In Santorini, we took the cable car up to the top, and then found the bus station and took a bus to Oia and back for about 12 Euros total for the 2 of us, versus almost $100 per person for the ship tour. Other passengers caught the ferry in Mykonos to the island with the archeological site.

For August, definitely take plenty of sunscreen, a sun hat, and a water bottle. Even early October was quite hot in Ephesus.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Was this on the redesigned Wind Star, or a different Windstar ship?

I already have a private tour booked for Ephesus (my second visit there), and we are not planning anything for Bodrum--going to enjoy the marina sports deck.

My advice Lori (anonymousegirl) is to cancel your Windstar cruise ASAP and rebook with Princess or Royal Caribbean or anyone else - get a balcony cabin and enjoy. Windstars tenders are frightening - the food is just average - breakfast and lunch are less than average. Windstar may go to the small ports where the big ships can't go - the truth is the big ships don't want to go to these ports and you probably will not want to.

I can't figure out if this post is an April fools joke or just plain sarcasm?:eek:

WINDSTAR is the best! You'll see for yourself. Have a great voyage and post up your thoughts on the cruise.

• 1 month later...

I travel often. I have cruised on many different ships. Windstar cruises are truly 180 degrees different from other cruise lines. Never had a problem. The ships are beautiful. The cabins make better use of 180 sq. ft. than other cruise lines. Never missed the balcony. There is lots of outdoor deck space. The food is excellent. The service is outstanding. The unlimited laundry service is fantastic. Put clothes in their laundry bag in the morning. It comes back that day about 4 pm. It is pressed and on hangers. They do it everyday including the first and last day of the cruise. I went home with clean clothes. Just unpacked and put the clothes away. Be sure to book specialty restaurants as soon as you can after embarkation. Candles is best on a night when the ship is in port. The deck BBQ is not to be missed. Amphora, the MDR is excellent. Stella Bistro is also excellent. Breakfast and lunch on the Veranda is lovely. The signature sandwiches at the Yacht Club are delicious. Waiters in all venues are charming. Great service everywhere. I would rather one week on a Windstar ships than 2 on any other cruise line. You will love it.

I have been following all the info that is being directed at people wanting to try Windstar as a new venue. I am among that group - i have been on many cruise lines - Seabourn, Azamara, Disney, Royal Carib, Celeb, Holland and others, but never on the Windstar fleet.

I am claustraphobic, so always book a balcony, not for space, but light. Do the port holes open on deck 1 and is there port holes or windows on deck 2??

Also,I am having knee surgery in the summer, and wonder if the stairs are a problem for limited ability?? (hope to not have a long rehab, and should be walking fine by then).

Just wanting a change. I am not a huge fan of the big ships. Like the friendlyness of smaller ships.

I have been following all the info that is being directed at people wanting to try Windstar as a new venue. I am among that group - i have been on many cruise lines - Seabourn, Azamara, Disney, Royal Carib, Celeb, Holland and others, but never on the Windstar fleet.

I am claustraphobic, so always book a balcony, not for space, but light. Do the port holes open on deck 1 and is there port holes or windows on deck 2??

Also,I am having knee surgery in the summer, and wonder if the stairs are a problem for limited ability?? (hope to not have a long rehab, and should be walking fine by then).

Just wanting a change. I am not a huge fan of the big ships. Like the friendlyness of smaller ships.

The portholes do not open. I also get claustrophobic and had no problem at all. The cabins on the second deck also have portholes.

Wind Surf has elevators.

I also get claustrophobic and had no problem at all. The cabins on the second deck also have portholes.

As do I, and I was a tad concerned before our first trip. My issue usually crops up when I'm in an enclosed space with no air moving. I've found the HVAC on the ships to provide plenty of fresh moving air at a decent temperature and have never had an issue. The portholes on the first level can actually be kind of fun, since you're right down by the water line and in the daytime can watch the waves passing by. At night, you do get some sloshing sound at time, which for me is the fast trip to a deep sleep!

• 2 weeks later...

We took our first Windstar cruise last week Istanbul to Athens.

Previously we had sailed on Norwegian, RCL, Celebrity & Holland America.

We had a very good experience.

Windstar is different (better).

Obviously Windstar can't match the multitude of options that a 5000 passenger mega boat can.

What they do they do very well.

Wonderful service, good food & an intimacy with both your fellow passengers & crew on board.

I hope one day to take another Windstar cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
We took our first Windstar cruise last week Istanbul to Athens.

Previously we had sailed on Norwegian, RCL, Celebrity & Holland America.

We had a very good experience.

Windstar is different (better).

Obviously Windstar can't match the multitude of options that a 5000 passenger mega boat can.

What they do they do very well.

Wonderful service, good food & an intimacy with both your fellow passengers & crew on board.

I hope one day to take another Windstar cruise.

This is our itinerary! So glad you had a great time. We are really looking forward to trying Windstar.

We are doing two Windstar excursions (Santorini and Rhodes), 2 privately arranged excursions (Ephesus and Mykonos) and plan to doing nothing much in Bodrum.

We have cabin 112 (BX category) and the laundry package.

I am looking forward to not having to rush onto the ship to make dinner, spa, or cabana reservations.

Absolutely right Anonymouse girl. We did Athens to Istanbul in August and didn't want to get off! We loved the food, the staff.... all of it. We actually enjoyed breakfast and lunch more than dinner - it just depends on the sort of food you like really. We found there was plenty of choice. Its a much more personal experience and you are not herded around like cattle. You are in for a great treat, the staff really look after you.

My first cruise ever was on Windspirit Istanbul Athens in 2008 - thanks for your post as it's bring back many good memories.

Looking back, these would be my suggestions:

1. Precruise we stayed at the Hotel Seven Hills. Loved having breakfast on the roof each morning overlooking the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia.

2. One day we took the public ferry up the Bosphorus as far as it would go, had lunch at a lovely restaurant and then back.

3. Sail Away from Istanbul has been my favorite (have since done 3 back to back with Windstar).

4. Our signature event was Dine Among the Ruins in Ephesus (I think I read they are bringing that evening dinner back). Full Moon, string quartet, local cuisine. Wonderful.

5. In Bodrum we went to a local Turkish Bath - wonderful experience all around with a massage for something like the equivalent of $30

6. The best shore excursion I ever booked was the one to Delos when in Mykonos. Our guide was spectacular - able to transport you back in time and knew all the minutiae I always want to know.

Didn't explore Athens much as we did the next sailing on to Rome. But we will explore this fall when we sail again from Athens to Egypt.

Since we started cruising we've done one large (RC in Caribbean) and another small line (PG Tahiti) but still prefer Windstar - her ships and especially her crew.

I doubt there is much I can add here, just to repeat that if what you like is the entertainment and glitz of the big ships, then you will not like Windstar. We have cruised on Princess to Alaska, and it was a wonderful way to see that coastline. However, I have also seen the big ships disgorging thousands of passengers in the Caribbean. I would truly rather stay home. We have done 3 Windstar cruises, Athens-Istanbul, Venice-Rome, Panama Canal and Costa Rica, and are going to the Baltic in August. The cabins are comfortable and roomy enough with great storage. We didn't miss the balcony as it was always more fun to be out on deck. We love the food, breakfast is varied, lunches are light and tasty, dinner is very good. I particularly appreciate that we eat when it suits us, not when the cruise line thinks we should. As everyone says, the staff are fantastic. After the first cruise we have felt each time we embark that it is like starting a trip with old friends! I even got homesick when I saw the Surf in Dubrovnik harbour in a tv travel show !! The evening entertainment is enough for us, and we love to visit the bridge at night. The laundry package is great, very useful. The ports of call have always been interesting, particularly in Panama and Costa Rica where we visited some tiny places and saw some very different lifestyles. We have introduced two other couples to Windstar, who love it just as much as us. I really think that if you can't be happy on a Windstar yacht, you probably can't be happy anywhere.

Anonymousegirl, Our cruise on the Wind Spirit was pre-remodeling, but we thought all of the ship was fine. Curious to see the changes when we cruise on the Wind Star next winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums