Why such bad timing for TWT?

MVPinBoynton

Does anyone know why the TWT is only available at 5:00 AM and 1:30 PM? The early one seems way too early and the afternoon tour doesn't get back until 9:30 PM, well after dinner time. Does the TWT booked through Princess do a different time or do they use the same bus schedules?

which is another good reason for booking the Eielson shuttle instead of TWT. There's a shuttle to Eielson leaving every 15 minutes during peak season so it's very easy and convenient to pick the best time for you and your companions.

I like to start between 8 and 9am .... it allows me to keep my usual sleep pattern and gives me time for b'fast. I hate rushing around at 5 or 6am, especially when I'm on vacation. Plus that gets me to Eielson around lunch time so I have a nice place to sit and enjoy my sack lunch.

Does anyone know why the TWT is only available at 5:00 AM and 1:30 PM? The early one seems way too early and the afternoon tour doesn't get back until 9:30 PM, well after dinner time. Does the TWT booked through Princess do a different time or do they use the same bus schedules?

My guess is that there are only X number of busses doing the TWT. They need for the first tours to return in order to fill the busses again. If they left later in the morning, there would only be time for one departure a day (less people being able to do it).

We took one of those really early TWT when we were in AK in 2012. We thought it would be awful, too. However, we are from the east coast and AK is 4 hours different in time. It was not that big a hardship. However, by late evening we were toast. So, we did not schedule things late in the day.

PS--I see you are from FL--so you will the same issue with time difference.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

First off, the TWT schedule is not only twice a day. The morning tours start at 5am and the afternoon tours start at 1.30pm. They are about 8 hours long but the morning tours have departures throughout the morning (until about 11am I think). I know when booking through the cruiseship you are given a "range" of times for the tour and you don't find out until the day before your exact departure time. I am not sure how it works when booking the TWT independently online.

Our group of 6 is on RCCL Radiance of the Seas mid-July. Our cruise tour includes Denali but the Natural History Tour, which we need to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, preferably before our arrival. RCCL tells us that we can't do that until our arrival but I'm afraid there won't be seats available if we wait until we get there. Does anyone know of anyway we can get this excursion changed to the TWT without cancelling the entire cruise tour, as this is not an option for us? Denali Park management and Aramark have been no help either. Has anyone been able to upgrade his/her tour upon arrival with no problems? We arrive to Denali on a Thursday, so are our chances of being less crowded better on weekdays? Sorry for all of the questions but we really want to take the TWT!:o

Our group of 6 is on RCCL Radiance of the Seas mid-July. Our cruise tour includes Denali but the Natural History Tour, which we need to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, preferably before our arrival. RCCL tells us that we can't do that until our arrival but I'm afraid there won't be seats available if we wait until we get there. Does anyone know of anyway we can get this excursion changed to the TWT without cancelling the entire cruise tour, as this is not an option for us? Denali Park management and Aramark have been no help either. Has anyone been able to upgrade his/her tour upon arrival with no problems? We arrive to Denali on a Thursday, so are our chances of being less crowded better on weekdays? Sorry for all of the questions but we really want to take the TWT!:o

If they won’t confirm you on the TWT now you might consider reserving seats on a shuttle bus to Eielson for $34.50 each and just skip the NHT that was part of your land tour. They travel the same road as the TWT. There isn’t enough difference in the Shuttle vs TWT for the added expense. Not sure I’d wait to see if there are seats available for the TWT when you arrive. Big bummer to get to the park and only make it in past the entrance for a mile or two.

As glaciers pointed out, you can make your own reservations on line using the parks reservation site. Book the Eielson shuttle instead of the TWT; the shuttle goes further into the park ( past prime bear viewing area), and takes you to an actual destination with exhibits, rangers, water fountains, seating, trails and a fantastic view of the mtn if it's out. And the shuttle is 1/3 the cost and you can choose the exact time you want to go.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

RCI probably won't refund your NHT but your loss on that combined with the cost of the shuttle is still cheaper than the TWT.

Edited by mapleleaves

Princess will refund the $100 charge for the Nat Hist Tour, thank goodness. I will probably go with the Eielson shuttle. 5:00 AM just won't work for us. Does anyone know how to get from the Princess Lodge to where the shuttle leaves from. I am assuming that there is a shuttle that goes around; but don't know how often they come by or how long it takes to get to where they start.

Princess has a shuttle that runs 7am-7pm between the lodge the park facilities including the Wilderness Access Center where you catch the buses into the park.

Thanks, that is most helpful. Do you know how frequently they come by and how long it takes to get to the WAC?

Near the bottom of the page.

"Wildlife, Adventure & Much More

Part of the allure of Denali National Park is that you never know what you might see. Princess professionals at the Tour Desk are available to arrange a tour into the Park for a glimpse of its impressive ecosystem -- ask for the Tundra Wilderness Tour or Natural History Tour.

Or perhaps you'd like to go river rafting, learn about the sport of sled dog racing from Iditarod® musher Jeff King or take a flight via airplane or helicopter for a unique perspective of this immense wilderness preserve. We provide shuttle service hourly from 7 am to 7 pm between the lodge and the Denali National Park Visitors Center, the Wilderness Access Center and Horseshoe Lake for $5 roundtrip per person. After a day of adventure, you'll be eager to retreat to your cozy wilderness lodge for some peaceful Alaska sleep."

Near the bottom of the page.

"Wildlife, Adventure & Much More

Part of the allure of Denali National Park is that you never know what you might see. Princess professionals at the Tour Desk are available to arrange a tour into the Park for a glimpse of its impressive ecosystem -- ask for the Tundra Wilderness Tour or Natural History Tour.

Or perhaps you'd like to go river rafting, learn about the sport of sled dog racing from Iditarod® musher Jeff King or take a flight via airplane or helicopter for a unique perspective of this immense wilderness preserve. We provide shuttle service hourly from 7 am to 7 pm between the lodge and the Denali National Park Visitors Center, the Wilderness Access Center and Horseshoe Lake for $5 roundtrip per person. After a day of adventure, you'll be eager to retreat to your cozy wilderness lodge for some peaceful Alaska sleep."

Thanks so much. I don't know how I missed it. I don't know how long it takes to get to the WAC from the lodge; but hopefully there is another way to get there if the bus is full and we miss it.

Thanks so much. I don't know how I missed it. I don't know how long it takes to get to the WAC from the lodge; but hopefully there is another way to get there if the bus is full and we miss it.

There are very limited options in that area. Hopefully someone else will jump in here. We always have our car so haven't had the need to look into it further. It's just over a mile from the lodge so wouldn't be a bad walk on a nice day. You could always put your thumb out. Folks are pretty friendly. :)

There are very limited options in that area. Hopefully someone else will jump in here. We always have our car so haven't had the need to look into it further. It's just over a mile from the lodge so wouldn't be a bad walk on a nice day. You could always put your thumb out. Folks are pretty friendly. :)

That's not bad, at least for me; but my wife wouldn't be able to do it. But I am sure you are right about people being friendly and picking up hitch hikers.

I'm sure there's more than ONE bus leaving on the hour. There are too many guests to only have 1 bus. Call Princess and ask.

The WAC is only about 1 1/2 miles by road. You can also walk it .... there's a path along the hwy then a shortcut (Jonesville Trail) into the park. Walking takes about 35-45 minutes, a little over 1 mile. You'll see the trail on this entrance area map.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/1300-px-dena_detail_map-2.jpg

There's also a shuttle provided by the Denali Salmon Bake restaurant. Google their web site for the schedule.

I'm sure there's more than ONE bus leaving on the hour. There are too many guests to only have 1 bus. Call Princess and ask.

The WAC is only about 1 1/2 miles by road. You can also walk it .... there's a path along the hwy then a shortcut (Jonesville Trail) into the park. Walking takes about 35-45 minutes, a little over 1 mile. You'll see the trail on this entrance area map.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/1300-px-dena_detail_map-2.jpg

There's also a shuttle provided by the Denali Salmon Bake restaurant. Google their web site for the schedule.

Thanks. I had seen the map; but will check on the Salmon Bake shuttle.

If they won’t confirm you on the TWT now you might consider reserving seats on a shuttle bus to Eielson for $34.50 each and just skip the NHT that was part of your land tour. They travel the same road as the TWT. There isn’t enough difference in the Shuttle vs TWT for the added expense. Not sure I’d wait to see if there are seats available for the TWT when you arrive. Big bummer to get to the park and only make it in past the entrance for a mile or two.

Thanks a bunch for the info Glaciers and Mapleleaves! Just not sure what we want to do. There are 6 of us and, knowing the rest of them, they probably won't want to ditch the RCCL tour and will hope for the upgrade. I am just trying to get things pre-reserved before our arrival but not having much luck. However, have not yet heard back from RCI, so hoping that's still a possibility. I originally picked out the RCCL pkg that included the TWT but our "birthday boy" (adult) insisted on the pkg we now have, which lists the NHT with an upgrade available for the TWT, so I am hoping that will hold true and we will be able to do that; otherwise, RCCL will get a pretty nasty but yet not rude note from me!:mad: Even still, this will not ruin our trip to Alaska! When life is interrupted with an unexpected detour or crater in the road, you just need to chill and get around it!;) Life is a blessing, so I believe in making the most of it!:cool: Take care all and enjoy Alaska!!!!

We are booked for August through Princess. Our tour included the NHT. We upgraded to the TWT. There were 5-6 different tours to choose. We are booked on the 8am tour.

I just cancelled our TWT, which will give me a $99 credit for each of us; and booked the Eielson Shuttle for $34.50 ($44.50 - $10.00) each. We have the National Park passes, so we will get the $10.00 each back when we get to the park. With the TWT taking the same amount of time as the shuttle, I wanted to be able to see more of the park. Not to mention a good cost savings.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

We will be in Alaska end August and finalising our plans. We will be self driving pre cruise and staying at Healy for our Denali visit.

I am tossing up between the TWT, Katishna Wilderness Trails (same as Katishna Experience) or the shuttles to Eilson.

As we are from Australia and very unlikely to return, what would be best option for us. I have already gleened from the earlier posts that the TWT only "just" makes the grade for seeing as much as possible and would be the bare minimum.

Is there any form of commentary on the shuttles or is that dependant on the driver? There is quite a large price difference.

Thanks, Hugh

Excellent choice, MVP! Hope everything works out for you and you are fortunate to see lots of critters like we did:D. The shuttle trip is a wonderful experience - be sure to pack a lunch or some snacks and water. And of course your camera and some extra batteries! Enjoy!

While on vacation, I am never without my camera and enough battery power for at least 2,000 photos. I am so looking forward to finally visiting Denali. We will have snacks packed; but I will be looking at the packed lunch options from the lodge. I don't want to depend on something being available at the WAC. Other threads indicate that there are slim pickings there.