Another CCL vs RCCL thread

JayMo

Hello all!

My family is looking to book Vision of the Seas this May going to Rotan and Cozumel. We are a family of Carnival cruisers, but we are getting tired of the same itineraries from nearby ports and we are looking for something fresh to try.

However, after doing some research, most of the reviews we have read seem as if this ship caters to an older crowd. We have a large group booking ages 2-60 going and we know and appreciate Carnival having a party atmosphere and we were wondering if Royal Caribbean will have a similar vibe. We are celebrating me graduating from college and my brother graduating from high school, so it's an "Empty Nest" cruise for my mom and we are looking to have a good time :)

Any help will be much appreciated!

Roatan is wonderful! And all our RCCLs growing up were fun ships with confetti sail away parties (when they used to do that, I dont think they do now for environmental reasons) and we always cruised with lots of young people. Haven't been on one since I was 20, but I don't think unless you are cruising Alaska, that RCI tends to have an older cruise reputation. But maybe it has changed?

Hello all!

My family is looking to book Vision of the Seas this May going to Rotan and Cozumel. We are a family of Carnival cruisers, but we are getting tired of the same itineraries from nearby ports and we are looking for something fresh to try.

However, after doing some research, most of the reviews we have read seem as if this ship caters to an older crowd. We have a large group booking ages 2-60 going and we know and appreciate Carnival having a party atmosphere and we were wondering if Royal Caribbean will have a similar vibe. We are celebrating me graduating from college and my brother graduating from high school, so it's an "Empty Nest" cruise for my mom and we are looking to have a good time :)

We LOVE Roatan and Cozumel. Lots of nice beaches there. I am NOT a fan of RCCL so I chose Carnival each time.

We just finished our first RCCL cruise in 10 years. We have sailed 12 times on Carnival and twice on RCCL. The one thing I really noticed was the group on the RCCL (Serenade in December) was older and more mature. Not once did we see anyone drunk or rowdy. There was still lots of fun stuff to do, but just not a lot of kids and it was just a more sedate crowd. We never went to any of the late night things, but the rest of the ship seemed to "turn in" after the 10:00 show.

Not sure if that helps any. If you are with people you enjoy, you will have a great time!

I think every cruise will differ, depending on time of year and length of cruise. If you travel during school breaks, there will be more families. Also, by rule, the longer the cruise the more mature the crowd. I've never been on the Vision, but I don't think RC is any "older" then Carnival-at least in my experience. We generally cruise in January/February, but have done fall as well-I will say we saw less kids in the fall, but generally the same crowds overall.

As a side note, the most "boring" non-party cruise we went on was an 8day on the Carnival Miracle....we would literally be the only people in the bar at 11pm...no joke!

Roatan is wonderful! And all our RCCLs growing up were fun ships with confetti sail away parties (when they used to do that, I dont think they do now for environmental reasons) and we always cruised with lots of young people. Haven't been on one since I was 20, but I don't think unless you are cruising Alaska, that RCI tends to have an older cruise reputation. But maybe it has changed?

so, that does not in any way answer the op's question...

and at best, would be based on experience from 14 years ago (from your signature, and when they threw streamers and confetti and such)... i'm almost surprised you didn't just tell them to book a cruise with disney lol.

pass on this assessment. lol

op, i continue to cruise with carnival for my 'family cruises', because it caters to all ages, and has appropriate activities for the young and old. and all are well attended.

and i say this from the experience of debarking carnival splendor three days ago, with my group aged from 10 months - 60 years old.

We just finished our first RCCL cruise in 10 years. We have sailed 12 times on Carnival and twice on RCCL. The one thing I really noticed was the group on the RCCL (Serenade in December) was older and more mature. Not once did we see anyone drunk or rowdy. There was still lots of fun stuff to do' date=' but just not a lot of kids and it was just a more sedate crowd. We never went to any of the late night things, but the rest of the ship seemed to "turn in" after the 10:00 show.

Not sure if that helps any. If you are with people you enjoy, you will have a great time![/quote']

yes you will tend to get an older more sedate crowd on any line when you cruise longer than 7 days and when school is in session.:)

Bill

Hello all!

I say go for it. Roatan is one of my favorite ports, Cozumel is so-so but still a decent port.

Vision of the seas is a nice ship which I believe has just been renovated as well. Enjoy your cruise with all of your friends and family too, having such a large group makes a cruise more enjoyable. Even though Royal Caribbean can be "slower" than Carnival but you'll still have a decent time.

so, that does not in any way answer the op's question...

and at best, would be based on experience from 14 years ago (from your signature, and when they threw streamers and confetti and such)... i'm almost surprised you didn't just tell them to book a cruise with disney lol.

pass on this assessment. lol

op, i continue to cruise with carnival for my 'family cruises', because it caters to all ages, and has appropriate activities for the young and old. and all are well attended.

and i say this from the experience of debarking carnival splendor three days ago, with my group aged from 10 months - 60 years old.

No, she helped. You all did! Thank you :)

She helped because I have a member in my family that's concerned over the Travel Advisory in Honduras and was initially not going to go and risk her family's safety, but we now convinced her to go and if she feels unsafe in Roatan to stay on the ship :)

And I wouldn't mind going with Disney...I'm a cast member and we get really good rates lol. One day....

But thank you all! We are booking this week and I think we are just going to take a vote between the Carnival ship and the RCI one. I'm slightly over this family vacay already!!! lol