Best Ship for New Year's Eve

Evangaline

I have never been on a cruise ship for New Year's Eve, but it is on my B-list so I was wondering if anyone had knows of the best ship to celebrate New Year's Eve.

Wow this is an impossible question. We have sailed twice on New Years. Hands down the best one was on the NCL SUN when we welcomed 2013 in. We were half way through an 11 day cruise. The weather was perfect. The parties scattered throughout the ship. We chose to be outside with the stars and the band. It was beyond fantastic. Busy but not absolutely jammed packed like the Valor was as there was only one party. After the lead singers voice died about 1:30 we headed in doors. DJ Sax had a great party going in the lounge as well. It was the best night by far that I have ever spent on a cruise.

My sister boarded on NYE 2012 on a Carnival ship and did not have a great night. She thinks that part of it was that everyone was tired because it was a travel day and no one was familiar with the ship or eachother and she said that it was not a special night at all.

I would pick a ship with a sea day for New Years day as well. We did that both times and it worked out perfectly because we did not miss anything by sleeping in. :)

I have never been on a cruise ship for New Year's Eve, but it is on my B-list so I was wondering if anyone had knows of the best ship to celebrate New Year's Eve.

Hmmm. Tough call. We did a New Year's cruise a few years ago (it was on our wish list too), and it was a 4 day Bahamas cruise on RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. At the time, the ship was showing some signs of wear, and was scheduled to go into drydock for some refurbishing. But, I liked the fact that it was more of a mid-sized ship, and not one of the mega ships, especially since it was a short cruise. As to which ship is the best for a New Year's cruise would depend on what else you want to do. If you basically want to celebrate New Year's on a cruise ship rather than at home, pick a short (four or five day) itinerary, which would probably be the Bahamas or Western Caribbean. On the other hand, if celebrating New Year's is just part of the cruise, take a look at what ships are sailing at that time and what itineraries are being offered, then pick the one you like the best (7, 8, 10 or more days?).

Best for anything is impossible to answer. What's best for you might not be best for me, or anyone else. So, can you narrow things down a bit? What's your budget----holiday cruises are a lot more expensive. Do you want a huge ship or a smaller one? Where do you want to cruise? Is it just you or will you have kids with you? Do you want more of a party ship, or something more refined and elegant? Is good food and service important to you, or are you ok with just basic banquet food? Do you mind cruising with literally hundreds of kids, or do you want a more adult ship?

See, there are far too many variables to answer a question about best.

I would agree about picking a cruise line you like or would like to try as everyone here will be plugging their own favorites.

That said, our last three cruises were during the holidays and on the Hawaiian itinerary, one on the Island Princess and the last two on the Golden Princess. Many different parties -- so you can go for the type of music you like, balloon drops in the grand atrium and maybe in other lounges too, countdowns for NYE in other locations such as England. On all three of these cruises, it was a formal night in the MDRs, so there were a lot of dressed up passengers. We also had sea days following on January 1 (well, on the last one, it was the Ensenada stop, but I consider that a stationary sea day).

Every ship is the best for some. You need to be a little more specific about what you want.

Just asking what ships do something special for New Year's or just did something you particularly enjoyed. I gather things are done differently ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line, but I just don't know what those things are.