What to do in Seaward..

betmust

the harbor itself is interesting because there are so many fishing boats on the move. There'a a waterfront path that goes from the harbor (nr the train depot) to downtown, about 2 mile walk. At the end is the SeaLife Center. Or you could take the free shuttle bus instead of walking.

There's a $10 shuttle offered by Exit Glacier Guides if you want to visit Exit Glacier which is about 15 miles from town. The path to the glacier takes about an hr RT.

Check out the town web site:

http://www.seward.com

Mapleleaves hit the high points. If you take the walk into town, watch for rabbits along the trail.

Other smaller amusements:

1. Quick stop at Iditarod mile zero for a picture (downtown)

2. Check out the coal loading system (immediately next to cruise terminal)

3. Rent a kayak

4. Shopping and eating downtown (4th Ave)

We will arrive in Seaward from the train and have the afternoon free and wondered if there was something close to the train station to do.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

It is Seward. This is an interesting port, that is loaded with stuff to see and do. I do not recommend, you limit yourself "close to the train". :) You will find this out when you get there.

http://www.seward.com

Wildlife is usually of interest to many people, and a boat tour is the jackpot of varied wildlife, of Kenai Fjords. Needing at least 6 hours on the water.

Does anyone know if you can leave the ship after dropping off bags to do some touring?

Are you staying in Seward the night before the cruise? If so, check with your hotel and see if they offer to take your bags to the ship for you. That way you can go off touring and your bags will get to the ship. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last year and they did it for us for $2/bag. Well worth the money.

I am not sure if this works out with our timing but check out these encounters at Sea Life -

http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/visitors/index.php?page=programs-tours.php

We have done the puffin and the octopus encounters and they were well worth the money.

DON

Hi Don, I have booked the Octopus and Puffin encounters for July 25 for our group of four, so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I am really looking forward to visiting the centre and interacting with the animals!

Hi Don, I have booked the Octopus and Puffin encounters for July 25 for our group of four, so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I am really looking forward to visiting the centre and interacting with the animals!

I do not know if you are going to be in Anchorage and if you have the time but also check this out -

http://alaskazoo.org/special-encounters

I did the $200 Zookeeper for a Day option with my granddaughter. Pricy but it is a 5 hour encounter. We got to go into cages to help feed the animals, see stuff from the back of the cages, go into the seal exhibit and watch the keeper work with and check the seals. We even got to go with the staff when they did the daily walk with the wolves. When was the last time you got to pet a wolf.

It was one of the high points of my grandaughter's Alaska trip along with the octopus encounter and the trip to Anan to see bears.

Check it out. They also have shorter and cheaper encounters as another option but we did it all.

DON

Thanks to Don and a 2012 review, we are also doing the Octopus encounter! The Zookeeper for a day sounds awesome too, looks like they have changed their ages.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are the kinds of things that people who take CruiseTours or only ship excursions never get to do.

DON

The puffin encounter was fantastic. You actually get to go into the bird enclosure with everyone on the outside watching you and you get to feed the puffins fish. You will love it. And how can you not love puffins. They are so cute.

DON

These are the kinds of things that people who take CruiseTours or only ship excursions never get to do.

DON

And after paying $3000 for a cruisetour, this tour at a $200 price tag isn't something I'd be interested in doing.

I was very happy with my 11 day Alaska/Yukon cruisetour without paying extra for very many excursions. I did book Jeff King's Husky Homestead Tour, but that's the only additional tour we did.

I understand not everyone likes cruisetours, but for us it was awesome! Everyone has to do what is best for them.

Edited by agabbymama

The puffin encounter was fantastic. You actually get to go into the bird enclosure with everyone on the outside watching you and you get to feed the puffins fish. You will love it. And how can you not love puffins. They are so cute.

DON

Jealous! my DD not old enough for that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk