Hotels in Corfu

We stayed for a week after the Adriatic Explorer at the Atlantica Grand (can't remember where it is). Hotel was very nice,,rooms were divine,,very modern and well equipped ,,food was out of this world,,service was impeccable,,entertainment was high quality but slightly reserved,,had a lovely restful week after a hectic cruise...BUT..and it might be a big but for some people..it was an enormous but for me! The hotel is on top of a cliff (stunning views) and in the middle of nowhere. It has a funicular railway to take you up and down the steep cliff to and from your room to the pool, restaurant etc and it's very slow and you wait ages for it! The "beach" at the bottom of cliff is awful,,very smelly and huge piles of seaweed that seem to have solidified over time, rusty sunbeds:( No good at all if you are a beach lover like me. Really can't fault the hotel at all except for it's location! I felt trapped after only a couple of days cos there really was nowhere to walk to in the evenings,,no shops to mooch just 1 bar at the bottom of the cliff which was actually very nice. I wouldn't go there again!

Thanks Cappers. I had looked at that one and was quite interested until I checked the location. We like to go out for a walk in the evening and stop for a drink (or two) but there seems to be nowhere to walk to!

There are a couple of hotels in the brochure I fancy which are not on the website so I don't know if they are available or not. Will keep looking!:) Thanks again.

Hi Sheila :) Jackie (Jackanne) is the expert on Corfu ;) If we can prise her away from fb

I'm not on FB either today. I'm struggling to get the hang of Windows 8 and updating to 8.1 at the moment.

I'm not an expert at Corfu hotels. We always stay in the same village called San (Agious) Stefanos North West. It really depends on what you want from a holiday. We stayed at the Thomas Bay twice because we like the resort and it's one of those places that people return to year after year. It's a small, family hotel, very friendly with a big pool and garden and always a sunbed at any time of day. It's also adults only. The beach is a 10 minute or 20 minutes if its hot, walk away. Trip advisor have reviews. Dreamgirl stayed there last year and loved it. Ask away if you want any information. :)

Thanks Jakanne. I liked the sound of that one, the only thing putting me off was the brochure says its a 2 hour journey from the port!

To be honest I've been researching this most of the day and I am now totally confused and losing the will to live!

I had been watching the price of the Adriatic Explorer/Italian flavours itinerary but it has gone up by several hundred pounds in 10 days! So we thought we might do a cruise and stay instead but I'm not so sure now. Should have booked early like we usually do but couldn't decide which one to do.

Think I'll sleep on it!

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Corfu for a cruise and stay? Was thinking about the Louis Corcyra Beach. Would be grateful for any advice. We would be going in June.

Hi

we stayed at the Corcyra Beach last year after a week on the Adriatic.

It's a lovely hotel, really clean, food is really good and varied and the grounds of the hotel are nice too.

The only problem I had was the nightlife..........there wasn't any.

I think the entertainment crew only had 1 CD .......Boney M's greatest hits.

we had a walk into the village which is just at the end of the hotel driveway, a few bars and restaurants, but again not a lot happening.

Sorry if this doesn't sound too appealing, absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel, it could just do with livening up a little.

Sheila,,I watched the Adriatic cruise for months this time last year! I knew it was the cruise we wanted to do for our 25th wedding anniversary and I checked the price nearly every day! I eventually booked it about mid june, and we went early August. The price went up and down all year,,you just have to decide what price you are happy with I suppose. Someone on here said that the optimum time for the cheapest price was about 6-8 weeks before! That cruise is indeed very popular though so it doesn't go down much!

Hi

we stayed at the Corcyra Beach last year after a week on the Adriatic.

It's a lovely hotel, really clean, food is really good and varied and the grounds of the hotel are nice too.

The only problem I had was the nightlife..........there wasn't any.

I think the entertainment crew only had 1 CD .......Boney M's greatest hits.

we had a walk into the village which is just at the end of the hotel driveway, a few bars and restaurants, but again not a lot happening.

Sorry if this doesn't sound too appealing, absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel, it could just do with livening up a little.

We were there for a week in 2012 early May I think the hotel had just opened up for the season, there were a few evenings they put entertainment on, really good magic show which we thought was going to be pants but some of the acts were fantastic, also a group playing mandolin etc also good.

Hotel was quite nice belongs to Louis group who previously had the Majesty, nice and clean, food bit repetitive but overall ok. Corfu town worth a visit on the bus, which can be caught on the main road, if I remember correctly tickets bought from hotel shop. We had a room away from main hotel building with a sea view, there are also bungalow style rooms in the ground would be great for kids, only draw back is can be a lot of bees which were a problem to us as it was early in the year. Hope this helps

Did this cruise and stay last June, we can strongly recommend Costas Golden Beach Hotel, Corfu - its in the brochure. Quiet resort but that's what we wanted after a week visiting somewhere different each day, during the previous week.

Just have a look on Tripadvisor, and believe me the reviews are what they say, we had a wonderful week at CGB.

Thanks Ormy. Although this one is in the brochure it is not coming up online. I checked Trip Adviser as you suggested and the reviews are fantastic! When you look at the hotel on Thomsons site you have to travel on a Monday but the cruise ends on Friday. Think I'll try the travel agent tomorrow and see what they can do. Maybe I should just book the hotel for 2 weeks and forget the cruise!:)

Edited by Sheila49

Did this cruise and stay last June, we can strongly recommend Costas Golden Beach Hotel, Corfu - its in the brochure. Quiet resort but that's what we wanted after a week visiting somewhere different each day, during the previous week.

Just have a look on Tripadvisor, and believe me the reviews are what they say, we had a wonderful week at CGB.

Wonderful beach there. 32 years ago, DH and I hired a scooter and went from San Stefanos via the Trumpeta Pass to Paleocatsritsa (sp). Following a map we took what we thought would be a short cut back via Ag. George's beach to Arillas/Stefanos.

We came down the hill to the beach on what was no more than a dried up, steep, river bed with the scooter and then had to push and carry it along that huge, long beach to the other end where there was just a donkey track up the hill. There is a proper road now. Well, I fell off the back of the scooter when it did a wheelie and I walked the rest of the way home. I have never got on a scooter since but we did go back to George's beach in about 1997. Yes, isolated, but lovely. :)

Thanks Ormy. Although this one is in the brochure it is not coming up online. I checked Trip Adviser as you suggested and the reviews are fantastic! When you look at the hotel on Thomsons site you have to travel on a Monday but the cruise ends on Friday. Think I'll try the travel agent tomorrow and see what they can do. Maybe I should just book the hotel for 2 weeks and forget the cruise!

Hi Sheila49

As Linda says, wait and see. If you can manage, give it a couple of weeks until people have to pay the final balance (approx 8 - 12 weeks before departure date). You might find you'll get two weeks cruising. Taysiders don't give up that easily.;):)

Thanks Ormy. Although this one is in the brochure it is not coming up online. I checked Trip Adviser as you suggested and the reviews are fantastic! When you look at the hotel on Thomsons site you have to travel on a Monday but the cruise ends on Friday. Think I'll try the travel agent tomorrow and see what they can do. Maybe I should just book the hotel for 2 weeks and forget the cruise!:)

Hey Sheila don't miss out on Adriatic Explorer- it's a fantastic cruise with such a variety of ports.

This itinerary was my very first cruise back in 2008- I went with my cousin as hubby had announced that 'a cruise was the worst type of holiday he could imagine' and I got fed up of trying to persuade him.

Needless to say the following year he thought he'd like to try a cruise so yet again it was Adriatic Explorer, and two years later I took a friend on the same one.

Athough we have since done various itineraries hubby wants to go on Adriatic Explorer just one more time so it's booked for 2 May 2014- followed by 3 nights at Louis Corcyra Beach which we have never been to so it's interesting to read this thread.

I went in Thomson shop yesterday to get the new brochure Nov 2014 onwards- and the lady there said 'free all inclusive on various Thomson cruises ends this weekend'! I don't know how true this is!

Go on book it!

Flopsy

Hi Flopsy, we have actually done Adriatic twice , once with Ocean Village and once with Thomson. I agree it's fantastic and it was our first cruise too. We fancied Italian Flavours as it has a few new ports for us and we were going to do the Adriatic with it to make a really nice back to back until the price went up nearly £500 in 10 days! :eek:

So we thought about a cruise and stay but I am finding it difficult to choose a hotel. Some of the ones I've really liked are not coming up online and some are lovely hotels but a bit isolated. I really should have booked earlier but we couldn't make our minds up what we wanted to do this year.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Edited by Sheila49

Did you like Ocean Village Sheila? We weren't keen :rolleyes: Wouldn't fancy Cunard or the like but OV was a bit too informal :(

The comedian on one ship said that the formal night on OV meant you had to wear a clean vest, lol :D:D

We loved it Linda but it was our first cruise (for my big birthday) so we didn't know any better! It was OV2 we were on, don't know if that made a difference. Of course it was a lovely itinerary, the Adriatic and Aegean including Istanbul. We do like the MDR on Thomsons though, as OV was all buffet. Never saw anybody in a vest!:D

We loved it Linda but it was our first cruise (for my big birthday) so we didn't know any better! It was OV2 we were on, don't know if that made a difference. Of course it was a lovely itinerary, the Adriatic and Aegean including Istanbul. We do like the MDR on Thomsons though, as OV was all buffet. Never saw anybody in a vest!:D
We did! Having his dinner one night with his wife dressed up to the nines - strange! If he had been mine, I should have told him to put a shirt on :D:D

Yes we were on OV2 as well.

I found very difficult to choose a hotel in Corfu because I'm a Spain girl through and through. I am always looking for Benidorm though,,I want the beautiful beach and the nightlife but I couldn't find it on Corfu. How about doing the cruise then having a week on a beach somewhere else? I don't think we'll bother staying on Corfu again after a cruise.