Border Customs

stobrien

I carry my ship card , License , Credit card ,cash a daily ,bottle of water and meds.

I Don't get the idea of a photo copy of a passport . It's about as good as a photo copy of your cash ??? What can you do with a copy ??

Recommended by a sibling who works for a "government agency". A color photo copy will get you in to the consulate in a time of need. A driver's license does not prove citizenship. Also shows that our non-ID carrying children are ours.

What's with the sarcasm? Seriously. Just something that I do.

Edited by DrNora

Our passports were collected, temporarily, for one or two port stops on an Asia cruise. Port officials had boarded the ship early, and stamped all the passports in advance of our arrival in the affected ports. The passports were returned to us in a day or two.

Recommended by a sibling who works for a "government agency". A color photo copy will get you in to the consulate in a time of need. A driver's license does not prove citizenship. Also shows that our non-ID carrying children are ours.

What's with the sarcasm? Seriously. Just something that I do.

No I mean A cope is not a valid document . Can you get on and off the ship with just a copy and ship key ?

Can you get on and off the ship with just a copy and ship key ?

In most ports you are not asked for any ID. When getting on and off the ship, the ship's security crew will have your picture on the computer and can match your face with the key card with that.

The reason some people carry a COPY of their passport ashore is that it would make it a bit easier to begin the process of getting a replacement at the Embassy. In and of itself, it is of little LEGAL value.

I can also imagine it MIGHT keep some local authority happy if involved in some sort of incident. Again, not a legal document but it is better than your word you are an American citizen.

And, as stated by many, in all the cruises below, it was rare anyone took our passports from us, or they were required other than the original boarding.

(if you are working on a ship, or are not a U.S. Citizen, rules would be different)

Edited by garycarla

I did work on most. But regardless of that we held guests passports for clearance. Their key card and photo ID was all then needed to come and go in the ports. I am a US citizen but again it didn't matter where you were from. The only boarder problems I have ever had was in Miami when a gate guard decided that only certain random people needed passports. Come to find out later there were plenty of complaints about him.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Not trying to start "the argument" but what if you miss the ship and only have a copy of your passport? How do you get home? I ask because I would like to know not to start anything.

Very good point.. I never take my passport off with me, only my drivers license but you are absolutely right. We wouldn't get on a plane if we missed the ship..Changing my ways!

If you are not aboard when the ship is ready to sail, security opens your safe and gives your passport to the port agent. The port agent address and phone number is always listed in the ship newsletter for that day. It is a good idea to take that info with you if you think there is any possibility of missing the ship.

This is for ants nanny

I can.t cut and paste on my phone

Lots of arguments for and against taking passport off the ship... If nothing else, I enjoy getting mine & my son's stamped at every new country I visit.

I don't know where you would get them stamped on the islands that Getaway is visiting..for NAssau, St Maarten and St Thomas you won't see a customs agent- unless something has changed in 4 months.

Maybe there is someone that you can request it from after you debark...

Lots of arguments for and against taking passport off the ship... If nothing else, I enjoy getting mine & my son's stamped at every new country I visit.

This is what we love doing... had so many stamps on our last passports, but now we have to start all over again...darn I need another cruise... :D

But we do always take our passports with us when leaving the ship... you just never know when something may happen and you need them...better safe than sorry.

My first two cruises passports were surrendered and returned at end of cruise. We didn't have keycards & I honestly forget how they verified re-boarding passengers at each port.