Sandcastle or Rainbow: which one do you prefer?

Balconyaft

I have stayed on the east end several times for week long vacations and unlike when we stay on St Thomas, we enjoy going to the west end port when a cruise ship is in port. This is mostly because STX is so much more sleepier than STT and a single ship is welcoming compared to the zoo STT can be with lots of ships.

We hit rainbow and sandcastle both usually in a day on the west end along with a couple other things. I am familiar with the drives, but cannot really comment on using a scooter to get there (maybe too many drinks is removing my short term memory). I can say for the most part the traffic moves slower when you head south towards sandcastle, and I have seen a group of younger locals riding horses on the road and vehicles easily move out of the way, but what my memory is recalling is it most likely will not be possible.

And as someone else mentioned I believe sandcastle will be a decent walk for some. The retro descriptions of the place are right on and I must say we enjoy it more than rainbow. The only tip I have is if you plan on doing lunch please eat at the Beach Side cafe at sandcastle. The bunch is incredible every time we go. We have made reservations for the bunch though and at least every time we went when a cruise ship was in it seemed like a good idea. Also as previously mentioned, on a cruise ship day particularly, you will not really notice who is who or who they are with or what their lifestyle may be. It's just a fun casual time overall with excellent views!

• 2 weeks later...
Per their website, yes.

Located ½ mile from the town of Frederiksted and the cruise ship pier, situated on a stretch of white sandy beach, you will find crystal clear, turquoise-emerald green water to

swim, snorkel, scuba-dive or simply relax…

Reserve early for umbrellas, lounge chairs, use of the hotel's facilities, pools and enjoy the convenience of the on-site beach front restaurant with delicious food, tropical and local drinks.

Lunch served on the beach, at the pool or in the Beach Side Café!

$5 Per Person

The Day Pass Includes:

Hotel Facilities Located On The Best Swimming Beach On St. Croix

Outdoor Shower

1 Lounge Chair Per Person

Restrooms

Restaurant & Bar on Premises

Fresh Water Sea Side Pool

Umbrellas are Available for $10 Each with purchase of 2 Beach Passes

** Special Beach Package **

2 Lounge Chairs, 1 Umbrella & 2 Rum Punch for $25

Can you please post the web site to use to reserve a day pass at Sandcastle . Any and all help you can give is appriciated.

Can you please post the web site to use to reserve a day pass at Sandcastle . Any and all help you can give is appriciated.

Unfortunately I don't have the link to the actual page and when I googled it I can't seem to find it either.

you can check their webpage at www dot sandcastleonthebeach dot com (no spaces and . instead of the word dot of course). There is an 800 # to call or a contact us page. That may be able to get you the information.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they have lockers for rent? I will be traveling solo, so won't have anyone to watch my things while swimming? Also, does the Beach Side cafe have a wide variety of foods? The pictures looked pretty fancy... Is there a casual menu or even a buffet?

Thanks for any help!!

• 4 weeks later...
I have stayed on the east end several times for week long vacations and unlike when we stay on St Thomas, we enjoy going to the west end port when a cruise ship is in port. This is mostly because STX is so much more sleepier than STT and a single ship is welcoming compared to the zoo STT can be with lots of ships.

We hit rainbow and sandcastle both usually in a day on the west end along with a couple other things. I am familiar with the drives, but cannot really comment on using a scooter to get there (maybe too many drinks is removing my short term memory). I can say for the most part the traffic moves slower when you head south towards sandcastle, and I have seen a group of younger locals riding horses on the road and vehicles easily move out of the way, but what my memory is recalling is it most likely will not be possible.

And as someone else mentioned I believe sandcastle will be a decent walk for some. The retro descriptions of the place are right on and I must say we enjoy it more than rainbow. The only tip I have is if you plan on doing lunch please eat at the Beach Side cafe at sandcastle. The bunch is incredible every time we go. We have made reservations for the bunch though and at least every time we went when a cruise ship was in it seemed like a good idea. Also as previously mentioned, on a cruise ship day particularly, you will not really notice who is who or who they are with or what their lifestyle may be. It's just a fun casual time overall with excellent views!

Where were you with the huts on the water? that looked amazing!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if they have lockers for rent? I will be traveling solo, so won't have anyone to watch my things while swimming? Also, does the Beach Side cafe have a wide variety of foods? The pictures looked pretty fancy... Is there a casual menu or even a buffet?

Thanks for any help!!

I wouldn't worry about your things - just about everyone on the beach had cruise ship towels and were friendly and will watch your stuff. Not a big beach, anyway. You will certainly be able to see your stuff from the water!

Just spent the day at Sand Castles last week and all of the above info is still what we experienced. Water was great except for drop off but that is what everyone said about every beach they went to - there is always someone there who will help you! Would suggest taxi - $ 3. pp each way. They give you a ticket to give to driver showing you have already paid - then we just tipped each driver individually.

There were visible rocks at the water but they are easy to avoid - they are big - not like New England stones as you get into beach. No need to wear water shoes in water!

Loved our day!

Water temp was fine in November. I get the impression that these islands are the same temp most of the year. We did not go snorkeling but were able to clearly see the bottom and just some small fish. Some people did have snorkels on but I don't know how much they saw.

• 2 months later...
We loved our day at Sandcastle, it was such a relaxing and perfect day. The beach is beautiful, sea glass hunting is very good, the water is fairly calm and we really enjoyed ourselves. We walked both ways, and it took about 20 minutes or less, much was shaded. :)

ciera123- I noticed you said you found sea glass here.. just curious how abundant was it? I love sea glass and never have much luck..only once on St. Lucia. Thank you!

Sand Castle on the Beach is a cute boutique hotel with a great restaurant/bar and clean restrooms both at the restaurant and by the pool. It is only a 15-20 minute walk, largely along the water (you need to move inland for about a block), and it is definitely worth the trip. They have a sweet day package for only $25 which includes chairs,a beach umbrella and two rum drinks.

Rainbow is much farther and more casual, but they have great snorkeling just off to the right as you're looking at the sea. The jet ski rental is right there, so if the noise of those things bother you, Sand Castle is definitely the better choice.

Cheers!:)

• 3 weeks later...
I have a family of 4, can we get that package? Also is it a flat sandy beach, no rocks in or out of the water? Do they have free wifi?

I believe that the package that has been described here is for 2 people but I know the lady at the front desk will work with you. They do have wifi but it's spotty, and besides did you really come all the way here to spend time on facebook?

• 1 month later...

I am interested in snorkeling ....can anyone comment on the availability of equipment to rent and the quality of the snorkeling at Sand Castle On The Beach ( can you see corals and a good variety of fish?)

Is there a better beach for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance for you comments!

• 3 weeks later...
I am interested in snorkeling ....can anyone comment on the availability of equipment to rent and the quality of the snorkeling at Sand Castle On The Beach ( can you see corals and a good variety of fish?)

Is there a better beach for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance for you comments!

I snorkel here every sunday afternoon and I always see something interesting, it's a great spot for sure. I have no idea about rental equipment but I'll ask next time I'm down there.

Freedom City has lots of rental equipment and decent wildlife but it's a bit rocky for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Just spent the day at Sand Castles last week and all of the above info is still what we experienced. Water was great except for drop off but that is what everyone said about every beach they went to - there is always someone there who will help you! Would suggest taxi - $ 3. pp each way. They give you a ticket to give to driver showing you have already paid - then we just tipped each driver individually.

There were visible rocks at the water but they are easy to avoid - they are big - not like New England stones as you get into beach. No need to wear water shoes in water!

Loved our day!

Glad you mentioned the drop off at Sand Castles. Is it the same at Rainbow Beach? I am a senior and have a lot of difficulty with drop offs. Hate to just stand there and hope someone takes pity on me but you mention there always seems to be someone to help. Any beach that doesn't have the drop off?

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you mentioned the drop off at Sand Castles. Is it the same at Rainbow Beach? I am a senior and have a lot of difficulty with drop offs. Hate to just stand there and hope someone takes pity on me but you mention there always seems to be someone to help. Any beach that doesn't have the drop off?

The beach at Freedom City is a pretty gradual slope into the water but a bit rocky for me, I wear watershoes when I go there these days.

• 1 month later...

We recently went to Sand Castles and loved it. Didn't think the drop off was bad at all. It was a short walk to the beach (even though the people at pier said we should take a taxi), sea glass was great (small but plentiful) and the restaurant was great! Would definitely recommend!

St Croix is the last stop on our 11-night, 8-port itinerary. Will be there in early December on a Tuesday.

I was there in November and did Sweeney's island tour which included the Cruzan factory, so I was just looking for something relaxing. All those ports are wearying even if "all" you do is an island tour in a minivan.

So I've been reading these threads and think Sandcastle may be the best option for me. I'm not a swimmer so the water/snorkeling doesn't matter to me.

But I'm solo and I'm not getting any interest in having anyone join me. I'm going to contact them but will probably just pay the "couples" price and get 2 chairs/umbrella/drinks.

Other posts have said to take the taxi, but I'm more interested in walking. I want to see what there is to see. Can you walk along the beach or is it along a busy road.

And is it safe for a solo female (in good health but, still, I'll be 63 by then!)?

If I decide to take a taxi, I'm assuming they're shared taxis and I'll just ride along with others. What if no one else is heading there? Will it end up costing me more than my day pass just to get there and back?

Thanks!

Hey NCTribe...I went to Sandcastles last October and loved how quiet, peaceful and RELAXING it was. It was my first time to cruise solo...and I am also female and 64. ;) I got a voucher for a taxi (think it was $8 bucks round trip) waited a few minutes and then the driver said "come on"...it was just me and him...super nice guy. I had no reservations there..just paid when I got there and bought my own rum punches. As soon as I arrived, a young man set up a chair and umbrella for me, wherever I wanted. Sadly, the restaurant was closed for holiday...I really wanted to eat there as I had read such good things about it. Really enjoyable day with no need to feel afraid of anything. When you are ready to go, the front desk will call the taxi for you. I had the same driver going back. :) Enjoy!!!!

Thank you! That sounds perfect.

I'm not really a rum punch drinker and would prefer beer, so I may just do the "a la carte" option.

Website says chairs $5, and umbrellas are $10 when you purchase 2 beach passes.

Did you just pay $5 for the chair and $10 for an umbrella?

What about if I just want the pool and not the beach? Is there any shade at the pool or would it be the same deal?

Didn't even realize I had this many questions. Maybe I should just contact them.

Thank you! That sounds perfect.

I'm not really a rum punch drinker and would prefer beer, so I may just do the "a la carte" option.

Website says chairs $5, and umbrellas are $10 when you purchase 2 beach passes.

Did you just pay $5 for the chair and $10 for an umbrella?

What about if I just want the pool and not the beach? Is there any shade at the pool or would it be the same deal?

Didn't even realize I had this many questions. Maybe I should just contact them.

I would recommend you call Sandcastle directly (340.772.1205) as I think Simone or Irma could answer these questions better than the rest of us.

There is some shade by the pool as well as a covered circular bar (no service though) to sit by. I usually stay up by the pool and just take the occasional dip in the sea.

Generally the restaurant and bar are closed on Tuesday's but they will probably make an exception for your ship.

• 2 weeks later...