2014 Whisper World Cruise Live Blogging Segment 2

CanadianKate

It was warm enough that yoga pants worked as something to wear up on deck.

We popped out onto the balcony at 5:15 and the Southern Cross was in full view. Finally, we got to see it. The trick is to not be looking for it!

Sydney Harbour is gorgeous by night as well as day.

We were alongside by 6:30 but my son made it to the Opera House by 5:55 as we sailed by and got shots of us. My NZ phone won't work on roaming here (sigh...) but another pax loaned me his phone so I was able to call and talk to my son as we came alongside. And now we are just shouting across the pier until the ship is cleared. Once that happens, about another hour, he'll be able to board and join us for breakfast.

Had a great day.

My phone does work here now that I set it up to do roaming so we can text here. Once we are in NZ, we'll be able to use the phones even more.

The whole ship did not have to clear before my son could come aboard so we were at breakfast by 8:45. Everyone was welcoming to him and commenting how much he looks like his father. It was great to show him one of our homes away from home.

We took him on a complete tour of the ship and then changed and went out so he could show us around to his favourite places. Today the weather was not what was forecast (it was way better) and our son took us on a long walk along the coast from Coogee Beach to Bondi. I'm exhausted. It was about 10 km, with a lot of up and down stairs or hills - I love that he overestimated my strength and I made it but goodness knows what will happen tomorrow when my muscles start to tighten up!

We are now back in the cabin, facing packing. My missing laundry is here and, since we weren't going to be here at prize point redemption time, our butler picked up my 'swag' earned by coming second so many times at trivia. A visor and a book mark!

It is now sinking in that we have to leave. So many good friends made this trip, we'll miss them all! And the great staff who are so much fun, most of all a special shout-out to Philippe the waiter for his great dancing at the Superbowl half-time show!

A question: you mentioned an overland overnight trip that some people took staying in fjord land NP overnight. Did they mention how it was and was it worth the extra expense? My husband would only be interested if there were hiking opportunities, but if there were, I would be happy to surprise him with it.

It didn't sound like there was any free time for hiking during that trip. One of the people who hiked with us in Maui went on it and liked it a lot. She felt you would see more of the countryside from land than by sea. So she felt she had good value but she was the only one I knew who went on the trip.

(BTW: she was at least 75 if not older, had done all the hiking tours she could find on the trip and still felt the hiking in Maui was the best excursion offered for the trip so far.)

Edited by CanadianKate

A question: you mentioned an overland overnight trip that some people took staying in fjord land NP overnight. Did they mention how it was and was it worth the extra expense? My husband would only be interested if there were hiking opportunities, but if there were, I would be happy to surprise him with it.

If you like hiking and haven't been, I'd suggest the Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Would love to meet you. There will be quite a few folks you know. Come along!

Definitely considering it. Waiting till regent's schedule comes out to see what they have as we have more days on regent and more perks. But probably will do either silversea or regent in Norway in 2015.

An update on our Arch of the Ancestors tour from Napier.

Yesterday we went to the Te Papa (National) museum in Wellington (we are here for a week before heading home) and that made us really appreciate all we had seen and experienced during our Arch of the Ancestors tour. Many of the kinds of items on display at the museum we had seen up close or even handled ourselves.

Now, with fuller context, we highly, highly, recommend the tour to anyone interested in learning a bit about Maori culture.