Warning in St Maarten /St Martin

mcrcruiser

Did you use bugspray and if yes which kind because I would like to recommend it to someone?

Thanks for the recent info.:)

I have used Bull Frog sunblock for years - recommended by my dermatologist who has removed a number of melanomas "earned" by over-sunning as a child. There is a regular and a "Mosquito Coast" version which takes care of two needs- I use it regularly - a very effective sunblock, which also serves as a bug spray.

I just read in the WHO recipe for preventing the bites of the Chikungunya-carrying mosquito, DO NOT use a sunblock/insect repellant combo. Use a sunblock(if needed), wait 20 minutes to absorb, then apply a DEET ingredient repellant. It also claims the "natural repellants" are ineffective for this virus. I am not an expert, so I am only sharing the info from their website that we will be using next month.

I have used Bull Frog sunblock for years - recommended by my dermatologist who has removed a number of melanomas "earned" by over-sunning as a child. There is a regular and a "Mosquito Coast" version which takes care of two needs- I use it regularly - a very effective sunblock, which also serves as a bug spray.
Edited by sparty1
to add 'carrying' to Chikungunya

I just read in the WHO recipe for preventing the bites of the Chikungunya-carrying mosquito, DO NOT use a sunblock/insect repellant combo. Use a sunblock(if needed), wait 20 minutes to absorb, then apply a DEET ingredient repellant. It also claims the "natural repellants" are ineffective for this virus. I am not an expert, so I am only sharing the info from their website that we will be using next month.

The CDC recommends using the sunscreeners one hour prior9for soaking into skin) to applying mosquito repellents with at least 30% Deet ;). Use a cream with Deet for the face ,back of nech ,hands ,& any other exposede skin .The spray is to spray on your clothes .;)

Best to wear long sleeve shirts with tight around the wrists & long slacks placed inside of boots or tied tight around ankles .Reasons are that the mosquitos can't get under the clothing:eek:

It might spread to the US but only because the mosquitoes come the US. It is transmitted by mosquito only according to the US CDC and WHO. People coming to the US with the virus will be miserable but not contagious.

Not to say mosquitoes won't come via ship but there is an important difference.

Actually both species of the Aedes mosquito that transmit Chikungunya Fever virus are well-established in the United States, Mexico, Latin America, South America and everywhere in-between. This mosquito has been found as far north as New York and probably Maine, as well.

People getting off cruise ships may be on land before the problems begin. I would bet that the vast majority - esp those over 65 - simply present to their doctors with joint pain, easily mistaken with arthritis. The doctors here aren't ready and don't know a damn thing about it. They will.

Once bitten, the viral load in the bloodstream is impressive (from a biomedical point of view). Up to 7-10 days after your fever, you are infectious (to a mosquito). That mosquito can pass the virus on to birds, mice, other small mammals or other people.

That's how the virus has dug in to the Caribbean. CHIKV is going nowhere, no matter how much spraying they want to do. The mosquito can lay its eggs in a bottle cap, bamboo stumps, etc. The eggs cling and remain viable till the next rain.

You could be bitten, get off your ship, fly to Hawaii and begin spreading it there. The same Aedes mosquitoes are already there, waiting.

Cases have already been reported in Puerto Rico and Aruba (isolated).

Once this gets to Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba, it will be in Florida and the Gulf Coast, as well as Mexico and Latin America and South America.

This thing is here to stay and can potentially infect millions.

On the Pan American Health Organization website-- dated Feb 14th shows you the latest statistics from the islands. Here is the link.

http://www.paho.org/Hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9053&Itemid=39843

I was planning a cruise on the Oasis with my family in May, a total of 10 persons.

While reading the mosquito threads, it becomes clear that some are trying to cover up an epidemic that presents a threat to the health of people going to the Eastern Caribbean. I understand that a lot of people here depend on tourism for their living, but do they care what happens after they get your money? I don't think so.

I'm going to cancel and ask for my deposit back. Even if I get a part of it back, I don't care - I'm responsible for protecting my family and that always comes before "pleasure".

I think anyone going to these diseased Caribbean islands is CRAZY! (IMHO)

Because of the threat of illness every one will make their own decision .My posts are not to change any ones decision to take trips to the Eastern Caribbean ;but ,simply to post the facts & substantiating links ;)

You've certainly helped me make up my mind: the health of my family comes before pleasure. I see what some people on this group are doing - they are covering up a very dangerous threat to public health.

Shame on them.

Thank you.

I was planning a cruise on the Oasis with my family in May, a total of 10 persons.

While reading the mosquito threads, it becomes clear that some are trying to cover up an epidemic that presents a threat to the health of people going to the Eastern Caribbean. I understand that a lot of people here depend on tourism for their living, but do they care what happens after they get your money? I don't think so.

I'm going to cancel and ask for my deposit back. Even if I get a part of it back, I don't care - I'm responsible for protecting my family and that always comes before "pleasure".

I think anyone going to these diseased Caribbean islands is CRAZY! (IMHO)

I'm sorry-- but am confused.. You quoted me with the info I posted... are you saying I am covering up an epidemic?

Because all I was doing was sharing Info on the latest statistics.

Liz

I'm sorry-- but am confused.. You quoted me with the info I posted... are you saying I am covering up an epidemic?

Because all I was doing was sharing Info on the latest statistics.

Liz

I stated: ". I see what some people on this group are doing - they are covering up a very dangerous threat to public health."

Sorry, I wasn't referring you - there are lots of other people on these boards who are trying to keep the St Martin, and now Caribbean, epidemic hush-hush.

Staying on the ship and not getting off will not do any good, unless they tent the ship and fumigate it. You have a much better chance of getting Noro on a cruise than being bitten by a mosquito in St Martin, let alone, by one that has the virus. I don't see many people canceling their cruise because of Noro. Noro is probably just as bad to get for those individuals with your list of increased health risks. Use bug spray if your really worried about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ATC cruiser

All you have to do is stay on the ship the day the ship is in port and virtually eliminate your chance of getting bitten. I've never seen a mosquito on any ship in any port where there have been mosquitoes.

Edited by janmcn

Not sure why everyone is so freaked out about this. We have West Nile a and Lyme's disease in the US, both of which are significantly more common. And basic mosquito protection works. In protecting you.

West Nile and Lyme disease don't hold a candle to what the chik virus will do to older folks, people with heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, those with impaired immune systems and young kids with developing immune systems.

The term "autochthonous" means that the virus is there to stay - it has dug into the human local population, as well as vectors such as mice, birds and small mammals.

"As of 21 February 2014, the cases of chikungunya infection recorded in the Americas, is of the following distribution:

Anguilla: 11 confirmed cases (including autochthonous and imported);

Aruba: one confirmed imported case;

British Virgin Islands: 5 confirmed autochthonous cases, with no hospitalizations;

Dominica: 45 confirmed cases, of which 6 have been hospitalized;

French Guiana: 7 confirmed cases, two of which are autochthonous, with no hospitalizations;

Guadeloupe: 1,380 clinically suspected cases, of which 6 have been hospitalized;

Martinique: 3,030 clinically suspected cases, of which 88 have been hospitalized;

Saint Barthelemy: 350 clinically suspected cases;

Saint Martin: 1,780 clinically suspected cases, of which 22 have been hospitalized in the French part of the island;2

Sint Maarten: 65 confirmed cases of autochthonous transmission in the Dutch part of the island;

Saint Kitts and Nevis: one confirmed autochthonous case which has been hospitalized and since discharged without complications.

http://reliefweb.int/report/martinique-france/epidemiological-update-chikungunya-fever-21-february-2014

Of all those reported cases where there any deaths

The real question for older travelers is: is this the vacation "to die for"?

The 2005-2006 CHIKV epidemic on La Reunion island in the Indian Ocean reported 254 deaths - a number that was likely very, very conservative compared to the epidemic in India, Ahmedabad (population 3.8 million):

"A total of 2,944 excess deaths occurred during the chikungunya epidemic (August–November 2006)" [1].

But here's the problem: statistics for CHIKV mortality are a wee bit ambiguous, mostly because the populations affected to date are, shall we say, not affluent enough to draw the attention they deserve from the health authorities in more affluent - and to date - relatively unaffected nations. This will change when this epidemic arrives in South Florida and the Gulf Coast where a much more rigorous surveillance system is in place.

Further - and only recently - the Aedes mosquitoes in the wild have been found to carry BOTH Dengue Fever AND CHIKV Fever viruses simultaneously. These mosquitoes are evolving to become vectors of multiple pathogens, and that is confusing the observations. These are the same 2 mosquito vector species common in the Caribbean, North and South America.

But to answer the question in light of a virtual embargo and paucity of epidemiological data from the Caribbean, the World Health Organization states:

'Most patients recover fully, but in some cases joint pain may persist for several months, or even years. Occasional cases of eye, neurological and heart complications have been reported, as well as gastrointestinal complaints. Serious complications are not common, but in older people, the disease can contribute to the cause of death.' [2]

[1] http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/14/3/07-0720_article.htm

[2] http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs327/en/#.UvY_0b0TIPE.facebook

Of all those reported cases where there any deaths

One death was reported in Saint Martin, for an adult with comorbidity [the presence of one or more additional disorders (or diseases) co-occurring with a primary disease or disorder]

"The confirmed cases include one death of an adult with co-morbidities. This death is considered to be indirectly related to infection by chikungunya because of the existing co-morbidities."

This is nothing to ignore. People should take precautions to keep away from mosquitos and to keep mosquitos away from them. With that being said, it is very possible to do that in St Martin. You just have to be smart and aware.

One death was reported in Saint Martin, for an adult with comorbidity [the presence of one or more additional disorders (or diseases) co-occurring with a primary disease or disorder]

"The confirmed cases include one death of an adult with co-morbidities. This death is considered to be indirectly related to infection by chikungunya because of the existing co-morbidities."

This is nothing to ignore. People should take precautions to keep away from mosquitos and to keep mosquitos away from them. With that being said, it is very possible to do that in St Martin. You just have to be smart and aware.

If you are over 65, you already have a co-morbidity. If you have diabetes, heart disease, immune issues - you have co-morbidities.

Inflammatory disease? Yes, another group of co-morbidities.

Chikungunya Fever virus can "domino effect" you to an early end.

What happens to a cruise industry focused on quarterly profits when their customer base blows up in their faces?

• 4 weeks later...

We were just to St Maarten /St Martin week of March 2nd on Celebrity Silhouette .We are mid 70s seniors with some medical issues & stayed on board .;)

We met a couple & she was bitten by the mosquito :o.We recommended that she see her doctor asap

Were passengers aware of the warning? We were there last week, used repellant, and didn't even see a mosquito. Think it is important for people to be informed. There was an advisory in the Eclipse daily to take precautions which i thought was very responsible.