Quality of food in MDR - Noordam

mickey89

I lasted cruised on the Noordam in February 2013 and the food in the MDR was extremely poor. The Assistant Matre'd explained it was due to forced economy to maintain the headline prices. Does anyone know if the food in the MDR has improved?

Nice excuse:rolleyes:. Now I've heard everything. I think the worst food I've ever had was on the NA in November of 2012. I think I may have been on the same cruise as you last February and that cruise was pricy so I wonder why he said that. Hope you get some positive comments.

I lasted cruised on the Noordam in February 2013 and the food in the MDR was extremely poor. The Assistant Matre'd explained it was due to forced economy to maintain the headline prices. Does anyone know if the food in the MDR has improved?

We were on the Noordam in Jan/13. Let me guess. The person who said that was sort-of stocky (solid, not overweight, but solid), with dark hair worn in a slicked back style, and had recently joined HAL from another cruise line. :eek: He gave our table a similar line and the consensus at our table of 8 was he wasn't going to last long with HAL.

We found the food adequate, not outstanding, on that cruise. I truly think that is all one can hope for right now -- adequate. I don't expect improvement, to be honest.

..............The person who said that was sort-of stocky (solid, not overweight, but solid), with dark hair worn in a slicked back style, and had recently joined HAL from another cruise line.

No, the person was female (South African)...... long blonde hair, quite attractive........

Nice excuse:rolleyes:. Now I've heard everything. I think the worst food I've ever had was on the NA in November of 2012. I think I may have been on the same cruise as you last February and that cruise was pricy so I wonder why he said that. Hope you get some positive comments.

People that work on cruise ships are not only professionals in their areas but also phychologists.

They work with clients.

They know how to wrap up a dialog and prevent an unwanted discussion.

They know what answer is the best for that.

HAL MDR menus include 7 main courses to choose from (besides other items). 49 different main courses per 7 day cruise.

Can this selection be extremely poor?

The clever Assistant Maitre'D did not ask this question.

He gives the easiest answer that an unhappy client is ready to accept: economy.

This answer means:

1. Agreement.

2. There is no one to blame on this ship.

Perfect.

Client has the answer.

The Assistant Maitre'D can return to his duties...:)

No, the person was female (South African)...... long blonde hair, quite attractive........

Hahaha! Thanks for that info. We got something VERY similar from the gentleman I described. We were all quite shocked!

Edited by CowPrincess

A female Dining Supervisor in MDR on an HAL ship?

This is the first I've heard of this in a very long time. I remember one years ago on Maasdam but the only ladies we've seen working in MDR have been bar department/wine stewardess.

Interesting......

cruz chic, we obviously speak a different language, your sarcastic comments do you little.........

What are you talking about:confused:? Wow. I'm sorry I posted on this thread. I just don't understand the comment. Completely unnessisary.

Edited by cruz chic

This is the first I've heard of this in a very long time. I remember one years ago on Maasdam but the only ladies we've seen working in MDR have been bar department/wine stewardess.

Interesting......

In Spring, 2012 aboard the Volendam, the Culinary Operations Manager was a woman. And, I might add, a very competent one.

Like you, however, I have not seen a Dining Room Manager or an Assistant DR Manager that was female. All of the Assistants and most of the Managers have been Indonesian gentlemen.

We were on the Noordam the first week in January (New Year's cruise) and thought the food was good and sometimes very good. Desserts are their weakest point (IMHO) but we were generally satisfied with everything that we ordered. (We were very pleased with our waiter, Deddy, who provided excellent service.)

Interesting......

Westerdam -- spring of 2013 -- we had a female area captain in our area. She was very nice and always stopping my to talk to us. She was from the Netherlands.

Interesting......

We've run into a female food & beverage manager.

First, we were on the Noordam last January and thought the food was good. Ok, the ice cream wasn't cold enough, but I probably shouldn't have tested the temp that often.

Second, I think the assistant whatever was unprofessional in replying the way she did. Instead, she should have asked for specifics and told you she would pass it up the line. And then she should have done that. JMO

Oh, and I think we had a blonde female seat us at a particularly nice table one night that cruise. Above waiter level.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by PatsyAnne

Interesting......

The Assistant Maitre'd on the Noordam in January 2013 was a woman. She was German.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

The Assistant Maitre'd on the Noordam in January 2013 was a woman. She was German.

Terri

Thanks Terri, that's probably the person I remember. Our only interaction with her was positive.

Thanks Terri, that's probably the person I remember. Our only interaction with her was positive.

She was very nice and helpful. She changed our table mid cruise and was very helpful with my BIL when things were somewhat difficult. I am sure you remember our difficulties.

Terri

We've run into a female food & beverage manager.

;) Just to avoid confusion.......

HAL has not had Food & Beverage Managers for several years now. They have Culinary Operations Manager and a separate Bar Manager.

Whether there are any female, I don't know.

Terri

Again, for the sake of accuracy,

HAL does not have Maitre d' anymore. What they have had for several years is Dining Room Manager and Assistant Dining Room Managers.

I know...... hard to keep their titles straight and does anyone really care? :D

But in case anyone does care, these are the current position names.

;) Just to avoid confusion.......

HAL has not had Food & Beverage Managers for several years now. They have Culinary Operations Manager and a separate Bar Manager.

Whether there are any female, I don't know.

Again, for the sake of accuracy,

HAL does not have Maitre d' anymore. What they have had for several years is Dining Room Manager and Assistant Dining Room Managers.

I know...... hard to keep their titles straight and does anyone really care? :D

But in case anyone does care, these are the current position names.

Whatever her title is, it doesn't really matter. She was very nice and very helpful to us. We were in a very difficult situation for reasons I will not explain here and she made our dining experience much better.

I cannot recall her name right now but I did mention her helpfulness in my survey.

Terri

Our same experience. the NA was the WORST food we ever had on a HAL ship and the WORST cruise experience of any HAL ship. hey, it is a cruise and still a good thing and certainly not the worst cruise I have been on - but compared to my other HAL cruises - the food and service were at the bottom of the barrel

People that work on cruise ships are not only professionals in their areas but also phychologists.

They work with clients.

They know how to wrap up a dialog and prevent an unwanted discussion.

They know what answer is the best for that.

HAL MDR menus include 7 main courses to choose from (besides other items). 49 different main courses per 7 day cruise.

Can this selection be extremely poor?

The clever Assistant Maitre'D did not ask this question.

He gives the easiest answer that an unhappy client is ready to accept: economy.

This answer means:

1. Agreement.

2. There is no one to blame on this ship.

Perfect.

Client has the answer.

The Assistant Maitre'D can return to his duties...:)

Was this a helpful post:confused: It does not matter how many courses there are if they are inedible (hint). and yes, it can be. Maybe you should sail some of the other HAL ships and experience the difference ;):D

Westerdam -- spring of 2013 -- we had a female area captain in our area. She was very nice and always stopping my to talk to us. She was from the Netherlands.

She was extremely nice wasn't she. Stopped by our table almost every evening. DH and I enjoyed our little chats with her.

Our same experience. the NA was the WORST food we ever had on a HAL ship and the WORST cruise experience of any HAL ship. hey, it is a cruise and still a good thing and certainly not the worst cruise I have been on - but compared to my other HAL cruises - the food and service were at the bottom of the barrel

Was this a helpful post:confused: It does not matter how many courses there are if they are inedible (hint). and yes, it can be. Maybe you should sail some of the other HAL ships and experience the difference ;):D

I agree. My one cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam was certainly my least favorite. Both food quality and service were quite poor.

They couldn't even get breakfast right in the PG. Long waits every morning and an invisible manager.

Terri

I agree. My one cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam was certainly my least favorite. Both food quality and service were quite poor.

They couldn't even get breakfast right in the PG. Long waits every morning and an invisible manager.

Terri

Well, now that you mention it, we also had breakfast in the PG - It was a complete disaster IMO - of course I am comparing to other HAL ships - I guess that is not fair. :rolleyes:

Well, now that you mention it, we also had breakfast in the PG - It was a complete disaster IMO - of course I am comparing to other HAL ships - I guess that is not fair. :rolleyes:

As luck would have it, he was also the manager on of the PG on our very next cruise on the Veendam. Also was not around in the morning. However, since it was a smaller ship it did not have the same service problems.

Terri