Norwegian Star -- Balcony vs. Mini Suite?

NYCcruiser65

I have stayed in both.

The mini feels bigger, a bit. The curtain is nice if one is up while one is asleep. The bathroom module is the same one in the Penthouse suites, small tub/shower combo.

The bed is right up against the closet, kind of hard to use, but you can! There is a light switch inside that closet that is hard to find but when you do it makes it easier!

I did enjoy having a mini aft on 11 with a Spa pass. Like having a deluxe spa in your suite! Only steps away.

These days I check the SJ suites on 12 because they are full suites and sometimes only a bit more than the mini!

I agree with valleyvillage. The mini suites are a bit bigger in the sitting area and I think maybe the balcony too. The closet access is ridiculous if you split the beds but can be done with time management. The tub is small and deep so not much of a perk in my opinion. The location on deck 11 is nice.

We were in a forward mini which is under the suites on deck 12 and avoids any pool deck or buffet noise. We have also been in a family suite on deck 12 and it is a huge bump up from a mini. The ones with no balcony are usually pretty well priced. The space is great as are the floor to ceiling windows and deluxe bathroom with two sinks, separate shower and separate full sized tub.

First of all, I too am one of the biggest supporters of SJ suites (only available on the two Dawn class ships) - in my opinion they are the best kept secret/bargain in the whole NCL fleet. Most here are afraid of the lack of balcony but in my mind the pros easily outweight that one con.

Secondly, as others have kind of mentioned, mini-suites have a bit bigger bathroom and bigger living area (and couch) than balconies - both of which are worth of small price difference to me as we do spend some time in the cabin and the curtain between sleeping and living areas makes a mini-suite so much better when one person want's to sleep in the dark and another is awake doing whatever in the living area.

For a couple $100 for the week, I perfer the Minis. I have had good luck with them the two times I booked them on NCL. The do feel larger than a balcony. In reality you have about 3 feet or so more length and the same width as a balcony room. That 3 feet makes a difference.