Baby on Board

adamaugust28

My wife and I will be taking our 10 month old son on the royal princess in 2 weeks. Being that it is our first time traveling on a cruise with our son does anyone have any good tips or words of wisdom for us!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

1. Bring an umbella stroller or similar that is easy to maneuver and is narrow.

2. Bring plenty of diapers, wipes, etc. because they aren't that easy to find and are very expensive in the Caribbean.

3. Make sure your TA has requested a crib and a high chair for the dining room.

4. Make sure you bring your son's favorite blanket, toys and/or stuffed animal.

5. Let him just toddle around with you right by him. He'll be interested to feel everything, touch everything, look at everything. He'll have sensory overload for sure and combined with an already screwed up sleeping pattern, he may have odd sleeping hours so try to be flexible.

6. If you have a balcony, let that be your escape together after he's asleep for the night.

7. Bring baby shampoo and/or soap if he has sensitive skin.

8. Take him up to the kids' area and let him see everything there if the "big" kids aren't there. There will be times when they're away and that's the best time to let him walk/crawl around.

9. Pack some patience. It can be exhausting on parents! Enjoy it though! :)

1. Bring an umbella stroller or similar that is easy to maneuver and is narrow.

2. Bring plenty of diapers, wipes, etc. because they aren't that easy to find and are very expensive in the Caribbean.

3. Make sure your TA has requested a crib and a high chair for the dining room.

4. Make sure you bring your son's favorite blanket, toys and/or stuffed animal.

5. Let him just toddle around with you right by him. He'll be interested to feel everything, touch everything, look at everything. He'll have sensory overload for sure and combined with an already screwed up sleeping pattern, he may have odd sleeping hours so try to be flexible.

6. If you have a balcony, let that be your escape together after he's asleep for the night.

7. Bring baby shampoo and/or soap if he has sensitive skin.

8. Take him up to the kids' area and let him see everything there if the "big" kids aren't there. There will be times when they're away and that's the best time to let him walk/crawl around.

9. Pack some patience. It can be exhausting on parents! Enjoy it though! :)

I would add: bring any medications, thermometers, other supplies. Don't assume anything will be in the ship's store (and even if an item is available, you might need it when the store is closed).

One thing I did when my girl was 5 and bringing on a stuffed bear, I made a "lanyard" with a miniature cabin card that had our cabin number on it. Just in case she dropped or left it (you'll find that toddlers will often drop things, including toys, especially off of high chairs), we may have a chance to get it back. Just make sure whatever you do will be safe for your baby as they like to put their mouths on everything.

Oh, that reminds me, bring some sort of teething toy.

If you are flying to your embarkation city, pad in an extra day (always a good idea for everyone), and then go to a store to get the extra diapers, etc. so you won't have to take up your baggage allotment with bulky items.

I've read before where others have recommended taking a paddling pool (not sure if that's the right terminology for the US but sure you'll know what I mean), so your little one can enjoy playing in water as they're not allowed in the pools.

Enjoy your cruise.

I've read before where others have recommended taking a paddling pool (not sure if that's the right terminology for the US but sure you'll know what I mean), so your little one can enjoy playing in water as they're not allowed in the pools.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have wondered about that. Will they let you have it on the pool deck? I would think it would work on a balcony, but I wonder how you would empty it.

I have only teenagers so this is just idle curiosity on my part.

My only addition is to bring ginger snaps in case baby is feeling a little sea sick.

Have a great time!

Emptying the pool would be the big problem. I wouldn't think you could use a kiddie pool near the big pool. They wouldn't want any water from the kiddie pool contaminating the regular pool water by accident. I think your best bet is to limit swimming/water play to the beaches.

Last summer we took our then 8 month old to Alaska. The above mentioned suggestions are excellent, especially the umbrella stroller. We left our BOB at home--way too big!~

The hotel manager of room service was one of our biggest assets. He arranged for freshly prepared/pureed vegetables, fresh fruit and cereals to be delivered to our cabin daily. This was pre-arranged through guest services and made a huge difference in our trip!

You did not mention your cabin selection. We purposely booked an inside cabin for the room darkening option. We also brought a black-out drape and suspended it over the closet pole and the Pack n' Play crib creating a sleep alcove. This was great for our little one and we could watch TV, read, etc. without keeping her up. The maitre d' in the dining room tutored us on folding napkins to secure toys to the high chair tray. Be sure to being your own Clorox (or similar) cleaning wipes. The dining staff makes a good effort to sterilize the trays in their industrial dishwashers but it's never enough!

Above all, relax and enjoy. Patience is the key! Ship staff will LOVE your little one--it's a little slice of home for them. With your stellar effort to be considerate of your fellow cruisers you'll have a fabulous time~!

msk1

The fact you are asking already puts you one step ahead of many parents..

I'll add two things. First, have a 'bad day' plan. In the event your child is fussy for a few minutes in the dining room, no one will care overmuch, but if it starts to run, have a parent already selected to take the child for a break and find a location ahead of time. That way you can minimize time away from table.

Second, bring a small diaper bag for use around the ship and a large one for boarding, excursions etc. You are never more than 15 mins away from your cabin to reload supplies if needed.

(This tip courtesy of my cousin whose second kid basically cried from 9 months to 13 months at the drop of a hat)

The fact you are asking already puts you one step ahead of many parents..

Bring a small diaper bag for use around the ship and a large one for boarding, excursions etc. You are never more than 15 mins away from your cabin to reload supplies if needed.

(This tip courtesy of my cousin whose second kid basically cried from 9 months to 13 months at the drop of a hat)

One thing: Bring a box of large Ziploc bags for those soiled diapers (smell) and dispose of them at the proper place and time. Not in the ships public restrooms!

And please remember that everyone on the cruise is not going to be thrilled with your young child. These things said, have fun and use this as a learning experience for both you and your child.

We started cruising with our kids young too--more than 20 years ago before most people cruised with even older children. There's always a crank, but we were very aware of others and courteous and really found most responded very kindly. I think you will find most people will adore you and your baby if you avoid two things---taking a diapered baby into pools and/or hot tubs (which isn't "allowed", but I have seen it), and eating in the dining room. Even well behaved babies tend to make messes and noise when they eat, and get noisy and bored before a dining service is completed. This will not endear you to nearby diners.

Others have given you great advice. I would add:

You can take your child to the small kid's play area anytime it's open, and your baby will probably love all the great toys. They do require with one so young that a parent remain with the child, but in a new place that's not a bad thing :)

Be sure to take a camera and/or video camera and record this, what a great memory for you and hopefully the start of many! Enjoy!