A summary, then, of "best practices" for money on river cruise?

Ukalady

Whew, I've read a number of threads here and wonder if someone would mind checking my logic, to ensure I understand it all. Mom and I have not been to Europe previously (can you tell???).

Background: I've never had an ATM card (is that a "debit" card?) but plan on getting one for our August trip on Viking's Grand European tour. I figure I'll open a new account at my local bank dedicated strictly for this trip's "cash" advances and I'll confirm that the debit card is Cirrus-branded. I'll email hubby back home if I need to have him transfer more funds into it mid-trip.

I do have a Chase credit card (Southwest Airlines branded) which has *no* foreign transaction fee.

Is my plan below the best?

1: Use the debit card at the ATMs which are are seemingly ubiquitous at our various ports and at the Amsterdam airport when we arrive. Make sure I have *two* actual cards with me in case one gets "eaten" by the machines (do they give you *two*?). Alert the bank that I'll be traveling. Know ahead of time what the maximum is for a single withdraw amount. Know what the "numbers" are for the PIN, not just the letters, because some of the ATMs there have only the number showing on the keypad.

2: Carry a coin purse for the Euros or local currency and daily needs. Bathrooms cost money. Wear a money belt carrying the bigger amounts of money and passport (no, I don't want to get in that discussion about carrying a copy or the real thing--I'm asking about money here:roll eyes:). Is it not safe to leave things in the cabin/room while we're touring in port?

3: Only get enough of the non-Euros local currency that I can anticipate using up during that short visit to that specific country. If any is left over, use it for a portion of the crew's tips on ship (do they give us envelopes for those tips or should I bring my own?).

4: Use the Chase credit card for purchases in shops. What about restaurants? Is there a minimum charge that's practical/polite? Can I trust the exchange rate that a shop quotes or should I download an app to my iPhone (which will *not* be on roaming!)? Again, should I have two of these credit cards in case they're machine-eating casualties? (I've never lost one to a machine here in the US but tales I've been warned of make me think European ATMs and credit card sliders devour these things…)

5: Are there any caveats to using ATMs I'll find in the port cities/towns? I know in the US I've had credit card info stolen from "bad" card sliders at a gas station; I now know to examine the slider device ahead of time and tug on it to verify it hasn't been monkeyed with. Do I need to do a similar thing at the ATMs in the cities we'll be stopping at?

6: Is there a reasonable/general amount of money I should carry with me on a daily basis?

7: Are pickpockets/theft a common issue in any of the ports we'll be in (Amsterdam to Budapest)? Are the "slash-proof" cross-body purses a practical necessity or overkill (for a woman!). I was thinking of wearing a dreaded fanny pack 'cause I like to keep my hands/arms free (I'm a mountain backpacker in the summer--not a glamour gal) but I know those have a tacky reputation…but it's by PacSafe and it's small (I use it for my Hawaiian travels and am never too ashamed…)

What am I missing??? I have no Euros to bring with me from home; I imagine we'll be able to find an ATM in the Amsterdam airport on arrival so we can get some money right away (would this be before or after getting our luggage)?

Sigh…I know this sounds like a weird attention to detail, but I figure if I understand it ahead of time, I'll be best prepared to be able to forget about worrying about it while traveling…maybe...

My goodness! That's a lot of questions! I'll try to answer what I can.

1. We've never asked for 2 cards, normally my husband carries one and I carry another. When you set up this new account, put your husband (or your mother) as a joint owner, then you could get 2 cards. Also make sure it is a VISA debit, not just an ATM card. You don't mention your PIN length; make sure it's 4 digits before you go.

2. Coin purse, or just use pockets. I used a Scotvest for our last cruise and absolutely loved it. I had pockets for everything, and never wore my moneybelt. We've left cash in our cabins while we're in port. Generally extra cash is in the safe, but I'm sure we've left a few odd bills or coins in drawers or table tops at some point.

3. How much of a shopper are you? Most non-Euro countries will accept euros, you'll get a little worse exchange rate, but it may not be worth getting cash you may or may not spend and trying to anticipate the amount.

4. Credit cards are not used in restaurants as much as in the US, but if you're in a touristy area, a larger restaurant may take credit (look at signs at doors). You'll be eating most of your meals on the ship.

You don't need to worry about exchange rates if you're using your credit card for purchases, Chase will calculate the exchange rate and it's normally the market rate. I wouldn't worry about machine-eating devices. Most of the credit card purchases we made, you never lost sight of your credit card. Even in restaurants the servers had portable devices, they never left your sight with it.

5. We've used ATMs at the airport or gone to banks. We've found ATMs after the luggage (and security) area. If you go to the airport's website, there may be information there. Just remember to have an idea of the conversion rates so you know how much spending power you're getting.

6. You probably need very little cash in ports. If you know you'll need to be buying your own meal, maybe 10-20 euros a person (if you like nice restaurants).

7. Look at the Scotvest as an option to a purse or fanny pack. I really loved having it and didn't carry a bag at all. If it's cooler, you'll have jacket pockets. We all read about being prudent and cautious while traveling, most of it is common sense and being aware of your surrounding -- but I realize even seasoned travellers can be taken advantage of. You need to do what will make you feel more comfortable while your touring.

Your cabin is likely to have a safe for your valuables.

The ship may keep pure passport, so no worry about carrying it.

Contact your credit card company and get a chip and PIN card. You will need it for ticket machine kiosks.

We found that most stores and restaurants accept credit cards and will for small purchases like one coffee or a six pack.

Few restaurants are set up for you to add tip by credit, plan to use cash.

Kudos for your prep work. While we are river cruise newbies I can offer a few tips which have worked well in our European trips.

Opening a dedicated travel account is an excellent idea. Try to find one that will add no fees of any kind to ATM transactions. A few years ago we came home from Ireland to find that Wells Fargo added $5 plus a 2.5% service fee to every ATM withdrawal we made. Since then we've opened a checking account with Capital One. Comes with a Visa debit card and no fees of any kind. I'm sure there are other such offers around.

We bring a back up credit and debit card from different banks in case our primary is lost or stolen. We have left these and any extra cash and our passports in the hotel safes and have never had an issue; but as you note this is absolutely a personal preference.

I bought a PacSafe messenger bag a few years back. My wife calls it my "man purse". I love it for travel as I can stash my electronics, wallet and a few snacks.

Don't over worry about anything. You are obviously well prepared so just take normal precautions while you're out and about and you'll do fine.

Hope you have a great trip.

Frank

Ukalady,

You've asked some great questions. Amsterdam airport does have ATM's available in/near the luggage claim. We got our first euros there while waiting for our bags to arrive. If you are comfortable with your Pacsafe fanny pack, use that. I felt very safe In Amsterdam, but there are some other countries where we will be traveling where pickpockets are rife, and I will be getting a theft-resistant bag to carry for those trips. When you board your Viking ship, they keep your passport for the first few days and then return it to you. You can choose to keep it in the cabin safe or carry it with you on tour. The personnel at the front desk of the ship will also be able to help you know if you are in a country which will not take euros or US dollars and where you may best obtain the country's currency (the nearest ATM).

I'm with you; knowing and figuring out a plan ahead of time can sure eliminate a lot of stress. ;)

Becki

Contact your credit card company and get a chip and PIN card. You will need it for ticket machine kiosks.

Regarding chip and pin credit cards (see the following article)

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

Although some US banks will tell you they have chip & pin cards, they actually have only a chip and will NOT work in some situations in Europe. Bank of America is one example - those cards do not work in Europe where you slide in the short end of the card - not lengthwise, then type in a pin. They do not have the same technology. Although there are not many situations where you need chip & pin enabled cards, we travel quite frequently and have not been able to make purchases at unmanned kiosks or some grocery stores (Copenhagen and Switzerland). I have argued with the manager of a BOA until I am blue in the face - they could not issue me an EMV card. They say that all merchants must accept cards with the swipe strip, but we have been refused by clerks that just didn't know how to do it any other way.

We do have the USAA card, which works perfectly overseas! It was quite a process to get it (and I understand they have stopped issuing them to non-members).

This is not a problem for the casual traveller

Ukalady ~ WOW - you've done fabulous pre-cruis planning!!!! and also gotten excellent advice from CCer - I'll just add a few comments.

Passports - I think it all depends on the countries you'll be travelling in. This past December Viking cruise we left from Switzerland with port stops in Germany, France & Netherlands. First night's briefing the Cruise Director told us we wouldn't need our passports to leave them in the safe - which was nice and large - even my Tablet fit could fit inside.

Also with our "cruise documents" Viking sent a very nice size zippered pouch - perfect for all the "extras": credit cards, Debit cards, assorted monies (Euros + $$ for USA before/after trip), health insurance, medical info, etc. That also fit inside the safe. I always make copies of our medical cards, we each carry one set and one goes in the pouch. [DH has repaired heart valves and I've had cataract surgery. Plus we also carry a complete list of his medication with MD numbers on the back. I mention this since you 'll be with your Mom.] The pouch is also handy for any tickets, vouchers, etc you may have bought in advance.

Gratitudies - Viking will have envelopes available but you can also have them added to your bill and thus put on you credit card. Anything you buy on board - drinks, optional tours, etc - will be put on your CC so you won't need cash for that. avout 2 days before the end you'll receive your first copy of the bill in case of errors and you'll "settle" your bill just before you leave the ship.

ATMs - Tour guides are an excellent resource as to a good machine - they can direct you to a bank location and we've even had a bus stop at one for a few people who needed to use it. Also you can ask at the reception desk or Cruise Director - after all they're traveling the route back and forth and often know the best places!!!

Euros - since we live in NYC, DH usually gets some pre-trip from AmEx - there's a small fee with the gold card but he's always nervous we'll find an empty machine at the airport!

Cash need - first few trip I was surprised how much cash we actually used staying in cities pre and post cruise. Cab rides, small stores/markets - many small purchases do add up. But once one the ship that usually changes since you'll be on excursions and usually stop at places well set up for tourists and CCs. just my odservation!

Restaurants - as stated most European places, even small ones, take CCs and have the hand-held devices so the card is always near you - USA is so far behind in that! In European restaurants the tip is included so already figured into the price but a little extra cash is always appreciated - but not necessary!

Safe - as mentioned, Viking ships have safes and on the new longships they're are well-placed in the closet. They are easy to set with YOUR code - I think its 4 numbers - and the directions are right there. And if I remember correctly the inside is gray - were on a trip with a group and stayed at a hotel with room safes about 4 nights - after we checked out and left one fellow was contacted - his extra wallet was found in the safe and they returned it - unfortunately minus most of his extra cash! The inside of the safe was black, his wallet was black and the safe was at the top pf the closet - he never noticed domething had been left behind! So I felt Viking's safes were well thought out!!! see below - sorry should have taken photo with door open!!!

Now that you've planned everything - take a deep breath and ENJOY!!!!! (Your Mom's a very fortunate person!!!)

IMG_1094.jpg.7916aed8be82f6e3dc1118450793ebc5.jpg

Will add one thing to what Peg has said about gratuities; we did have the suggested gratuities added to our onboard acct, but for the additional gratuities we wished to give those "special"crew and staff, we gave them cash in euros.

Becki

rjscott ~ thanks for adding that - I forgot! Yes, if I remember correctly there's a gratuity for the Cruise Director and also the "onboard staff" and one that gets divided among all the staff. Many people give an additional cash tip to those they have regular contact with - room steward, bar tender, waiter, etc, or anyone who's been especially helpful. Viking will have envelopes available for individual tips and usually a box to leave them in if you don't see the person on the last day. That day is very interesting since everyone is pressed into service hauling luggage, even the Captain!! [We were last on a December Christmas Markets cruise and it was unseasonably warm so we gave all our left-over packs of hand warmers to some of the crew - they were very happy!!!!]

Also - for tours - the suggested tips are 2 Euro for the tour guide and 1 Euro for the bus driver. Sometimes having the exact coins means thinking ahead - as we learned on our first excursion on our first RC!!! On both our cruises we were able to exchange bills for coins at the reception desk - so plan ahead!!! The tip is given at the end of each tour since you probably won't see the guide and driver again - or at least that was our experience on our 2 Viking RCs.

At the end of the cruise we used our left over Euros to pay part of our bill. I forgot to hold out tip money for the driver who took us to the airport. Make sure you have plenty of one, two and five Euro coins. You need them for tips!

We used our chip and "sign" Citibank credit card without a problem as well as our Bank of America debit card.

You don't need a check card in Europe. Instead get a credit card with no international fee. I would suggest American Express. Go to a local American Express office, they can change your American dollars for Euro's. They will probably ask if you are a "member." It is beneficial to have an American Express card. I suggest getting $1000 US dollars changed per week of travel. That will likely more than cover ALL your and your mother's financial needs while in Europe.

Forget the fanny pack, purse or money belt. These items make you stand out as a tourist and attract pick pockets to you like moths to a flame. In general wear black with black European style walking shoes and no jewelry other than a cheap watch. Don't wear jeans or other obviously American clothes and shoes. Dress in layers with the outer garment being long sleeved. Personally, since many toilets in Europe (especially in France) don't have toilet seats, I find it easier to manage in a dress than pants - however, if you are traveling during cold weather, long pants are a necessity. The ScottEvest - which comes in many different styles is a great investment for comfortable hands free travel.

I'm assuming you are going on a river cruise since this is the river cruise section of the boards - it would help to know what itinerary/month in order to advise you in greater detail. Tipping is less generous in Europe than in the states - usually only 5 - 10%. Other than that, the money you have with you would be for taxis, some incidental food - usually snacks and drinks, tips for the crew and tour guides and bus drivers, but on many river cruises, and some shopping there is not all that much to buy nor much time in which to buy things as most of the tours are more oriented to sight seeing. The other thing - much of what you see in tourist stores can be bought online from home when you have time to compare prices or even find a better version of the same item. In addition you have to consider if the item would make your luggage overweight. On our last river cruise, we went to a lovely cuckoo clock factory, but after looking at many interesting clocks, we realized that these were not a good fit for our home's decor - which is Italian - so we passed. Others on our cruise were buying these clocks for themselves and all their family members and they cost in the thousands of dollars. The store shipped them home for the purchasers but I really wonder how many people really wanted a cuckoo clock from their relative's trip once they had it in their home. Was the cuckoo clock, in fact, an albatross? Did the recipients hate the clocks yet feel forced to display these elaborate clocks so as not to disappoint their parents? Likely, yes, in many cases. So be sure to not get caught up in the excitement of seeing a new item and buying it only to realize that is not a good fit for your home or the home of the recipient. And, of course, if my husband and I ever want a cuckoo clock, we can order it online from the very store we visited and you could do the same. So don't feel pressured to buy.

I can't imagine having that level of expenses outside the river cruise inclusives.

I can't either....We usually carry about 50E per person, depending on where we are and what we're doing....it's actually more economical to use a "no conversion fee" credit card as much as possible and a bank card for the ATM. I've never had a problem using my capital one card in restaurants or shops...but I have seen signs everywhere that "American Espress not accepted" (their merchant fees are too high).I agree with poster who advised ask your TM to recommend an ATM, they are best equipped to know a reliable one and just like home, don't use an ATM that's in a gas station or quick stop store. I carry an AMEX card for emergencies only because IMHO they are more likely to be of assistance than many others but I don't use it unless I have to because so many places in Europe won't take them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought $1000 for the week was high. Our last trip we had about $400 (only because our neighbor brought home left over euros they didn't use)... and our trip included 2 early days in Munich where we paid cash for almost all our meals. We did totally run out at the end (after holding back a few coins for tips) -- so we used credit in Budapest where cash would have given us a slightly better price, but it wasn't worth finding an ATM for the Hungarian currency we were hardly going to use.

I agree with the previous poster about fanny packs, but also feel the same way about those multi pocketed travels vests mentioned on the board.

But jeans? Really? On all of my many trips to Europe, jeans seem to be the uniform of choice by people everywhere , all ages.

That is all we are bringing for sightseeing, and I am sure we will fit right in.

My husband traveled extensively in Holland, France, Australia and Poland on business until retiring last year. He was, per company policy, to use his business Amex for all expenses. However, he found that was not always possible , as many businesses wouldn't accept the Amex card. In those cases he resorted to using our Capital One Visa. Also, when he needed cash from an ATM to have on hand for small purchases, the Amex charged a foreign transaction fee, whereas our Capital One card did not.

As for cash on hand, on our 10 day Viking cruise, we got $400 euro at the airport ATM upon arrival and that was about the exact amount needed in cash. The rest we put on our Visa as we spent off the ship.

Becki

To the OP, yes, pickpockets are a threat everywhere, in the US or abroad. As tourists, we tend to be more distracted and less focused, therefore, easier targets. I don't think for a minute that they would not victimize a "local" should the opportunity present itself. Along with mode of dress there are many things that make travelers stand out as tourists. (Cameras, maps, body language, etc…) Face it, career pickpockets are going to know who you are no matter how hard you try to disguise yourself. I don't understand the logic that a vest is more "acceptable" than a fanny pack. DH's money belt goes under his clothing - how does that mark him as a tourist?

To the OP, wear whatever makes you comfortable. If it's tennis shoes, jeans and a fanny pack, go for it. Why should you care what anyone else thinks? It's your vacation. But do be aware of dress codes in places such as churches, whether is be long pants, shoulders covered, etc.

I do agree that there are steps you can take to lessen the opportunities to be a victim. I, for one, love the Pacsafe products; my crossbody hipster purse has traveled many, many miles with me. Leave the flashy jewelry in a safe place (real OR fake) a robber cannot tell the difference at a glance. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, educate yourself on the common "ploys" used in your destinations - children, entertainers, passing out flyers, etc.

Then, just have a ball!

Edited by sippican

$1000 USD is really not that much cash in Euros when you figure the exchange rate, if you are staying pre or post cruise in any city in Europe. Europe is not cheap. I rather pay cash, it is just that easier to keep track of your budget. If we have leftover Euros we simply save them for the next trip. We don't have a Capital One Credit Card, and I don't plan to open one for my one trip per year (if that many) to Europe. I want to have the cash to pay any cab driver, merchant, or restaurant on the spot without worrying where there is an ATM. It is not worth it to me. jmo

Edited by Got2Cruise

And I don't like to carry much cash, so that I have less to lose if a pickpocket does get me. I can budget by tallying my credit card receipts each night just as easily as by reloading my wallet from the cabin safe. BTW, does your cash give you 1.5% back like my CapitalOne card?

I will chime in in defense of the Scottevest. The ladies vest does not look like the khaki photographer's or fishing vest-style. The pockets are discretely placed and as long as you don't load every pocket up to it's fullest (the water bottle pocket and the pocket along the entire back for example), you can't really tell. We traveled in fall and I almost always wore a jacket on top of the vest anyway.

I wish there was a like button for the CapitalOne cash back bonus comment! We only use cash when we absolutely need to (or just want to, if we're towards the end of the trip and still have extra). We charge everything so I can keep up with what we're spending, and we use our receipts when filling out the customs forms on the trip home. The exchange rate is always great and I don't need to worry about having left over euros.

And I don't like to carry much cash, so that I have less to lose if a pickpocket does get me. I can budget by tallying my credit card receipts each night just as easily as by reloading my wallet from the cabin safe. BTW, does your cash give you 1.5% back like my CapitalOne card?

Believe me, if the pickpocket gets your credit card, it will be much more stressful than if you lose the cash you are carrying in your wallet that day. I only carry what I plan to use for the day. Whatever works for each of us is the right way.

But I will say that one must investigate how their FICO score will change if they decide to open another line of credit. I know my FICO score and it is excellent. Nowadays your FICO score decides what interest rate you pay when taking out an auto loan/lease, or mortgage. I recently took out a mortgage and the banks are very diligent looking over every line of credit you have. It is not like before the bank crisis of a few years ago. The banks are very tight on giving you a loan with favorable rates if you have a less than stellar FICO score.

I will chime in in defense of the Scottevest. The ladies vest does not look like the khaki photographer's or fishing vest-style. The pockets are discretely placed and as long as you don't load every pocket up to it's fullest (the water bottle pocket and the pocket along the entire back for example), you can't really tell. We traveled in fall and I almost always wore a jacket on top of the vest anyway.

I wish there was a like button for the CapitalOne cash back bonus comment! We only use cash when we absolutely need to (or just want to, if we're towards the end of the trip and still have extra). We charge everything so I can keep up with what we're spending, and we use our receipts when filling out the customs forms on the trip home. The exchange rate is always great and I don't need to worry about having left over euros.

I will have to check it out. I was thinking of the old style photographers jackets.

I stand corrected.

But I am holding my ground that jeans are as stylish and popular with Europeans as ever!!!

To the OP, yes, pickpockets are a threat everywhere, in the US or abroad. As tourists, we tend to be more distracted and less focused, therefore, easier targets. I don't think for a minute that they would not victimize a "local" should the opportunity present itself. Along with mode of dress there are many things that make travelers stand out as tourists. (Cameras, maps, body language, etc…) Face it, career pickpockets are going to know who you are no matter how hard you try to disguise yourself. I don't understand the logic that a vest is more "acceptable" than a fanny pack. DH's money belt goes under his clothing - how does that mark him as a tourist?

To the OP, wear whatever makes you comfortable. If it's tennis shoes, jeans and a fanny pack, go for it. Why should you care what anyone else thinks? It's your vacation. But do be aware of dress codes in places such as churches, whether is be long pants, shoulders covered, etc.

I do agree that there are steps you can take to lessen the opportunities to be a victim. I, for one, love the Pacsafe products; my crossbody hipster purse has traveled many, many miles with me. Leave the flashy jewelry in a safe place (real OR fake) a robber cannot tell the difference at a glance. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, educate yourself on the common "ploys" used in your destinations - children, entertainers, passing out flyers, etc.

Then, just have a ball![/quote

Couldn't have said it better myself! It's true, no matter what you wear, the natives always know you're a tourist and picking pockets is a crime of opportunity so even if you look like a native you can still be a victim. Wear what's comfortable and leave your good jewelry home (although I did buy a $1.00 diamond ring for our anniversary cruise (it was on sale)! Best protection is pay attention.....and one ploy not mentioned: the "oops, I'm sorry" bump......very popular here in NY.

We (my husband and I)try to use only cash when we travel abroad. Euros or Pounds can be gotten at most banks if they know ahead to get the amount you want(Wells Fargo and AAA both will do this)! We do carry two different credit cards for emergency(one on him and one on me)and we notify these credits cards of our foreign travel dates. I carry our passports in a cross over bag which is usually under a light weight jacket or sweater, but sometimes our passports have been taken by the pursor on boarding day. We have been in extremely high volume pickpocket areas(Italy, Turkey, Greece, Jamaica, Mexico, NYC, etc.) and our rule is to be extremely aware of your surroundings and stay with your group(if you are with one) or your travel companion. We always keep cash in small amounts(other cash in safe on ship)for our easy access(in front deep pocket)so that we are not fumbling with our purse or wallets. We are tourist and I am sure we could not blend in with locals no matter what we wear, so I try to dress comfortable and layered as most European churches like shoulders and knees covered while touring them. We try to budget our extra cash by how many meals will not be covered by the cruise and usually it comes to around 100 euros daily for the both of us, so on a 10day tour we would take around 1,000 euros and that allows for a few small gifts, uncovered meals, snacks, and anything else we might want. This way of calculating spending money has worked so far on all our trips and we sometimes come back with foreign money and sometimes just coins(airports can exchange this back to us dollars on your way home)!

This is really just a debate about personal preference.

I get small amounts (250-300 Euros) from the ATM and use them in local stores for food/drink so I can save the store owners the transaction fee. I use my credit card (was Capital One, will be Barclays this time) for lodging, public transport, and large purchases. I would rather have my credit card stolen than my cash, because I can instantly report it to the credit card company and they will refund all fraudulent purchases. One change I will make is to leave an extra credit card & debit card in the safe in our hotel in case this were to happen.

I use credit cards that have travel "purchase eraser" awards, so when I get home I can use the reward points I've accumulated (2% of purchases) to erase smaller travel expenses, like train/metro tickets.