Luggage restrictions? on NCL

Olstick

My wife an I are cruising on the Gem this Saturday. I called NCL about the luggage weight limits and they said that each person could have 1 piece of luggage up to 50lbs.That we could check. They also said that we could each bring a carryon. Can anyone tell if they are strick about the 50lb rule and also are we limited to the size of the carryon. Any information would be most helpful.

My wife an I are cruising on the Gem this Saturday. I called NCL about the luggage weight limits and they said that each person could have 1 piece of luggage up to 50lbs.That we could check. They also said that we could each bring a carryon. Can anyone tell if they are strick about the 50lb rule and also are we limited to the size of the carryon. Any information would be most helpful.

Not strict on the weight rule and as long as the carryon will go through the xray machine I've heard no restrictions on size (and we always have several carryons).

Not strict on the weight rule and as long as the carryon will go through the xray machine I've heard no restrictions on size (and we always have several carryons).

Is this one piece of checked luggage true for all NCL ships? We're sailing on the Pearl next week and in doing my research, I thought I read each person is allowed to check two pieces up to 50lbs. (Here's the text: "Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds.")

Is this one piece of checked luggage true for all NCL ships? We're sailing on the Pearl next week and in doing my research, I thought I read each person is allowed to check two pieces up to 50lbs. (Here's the text: "Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds.")

I would certainly go with what is written regarding the number of bags that may be checked, but they don't weigh them.

I would certainly go with what is written regarding the number of bags that may be checked, but they don't weigh them.

Nah..no one counts them either. The porters, who aren't NCL employees, and have no idea of what NCL's "rule" says, just take your bags and toss them on a cart or a conveyor belt. The porters are probably happier if you have more bags because that means they're likely to get a bigger tip. ;)

Edited by njhorseman

Nah..no one counts them either. The porters, who aren't NCL employees, and have no idea of what NCL's "rule" says, just take your bags and toss them on a cart or a conveyor belt. The porters are probably happier if you have more bags because that means they're likely to get a bigger tip. ;)

Very true but I'm used to arguing with DW that no, she doesn't need that third full sized suticase for a 7 day cruise so the rule works in my favor. Sometimes.:eek:

Welcome to the sailing Olstick! I answered this very question in our roll call yesterday over in the Roll Calls forum, come on over and join us!

EDIT: here's the link! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1575314

Edited by bbritton81
added the link because I forgot it like a dummy!

Very true but I'm used to arguing with DW that no, she doesn't need that third full sized suticase for a 7 day cruise so the rule works in my favor. Sometimes.:eek:

Good point. On our Alaska cruise I had 3 suitcases for 5 of us (2 adults, 3 teens). My mother-in-law had 2 suitcases by herself, which is the equivalent of me having 10 of them.

Nobody has ever come here to say they had a weight (baggage) problem. Ever that I know of.

Nobody weighs them.

Nobody counts them.

None issue.

From NCL - you are allowed two pieces weighing up to 50 pounds as well as a carryon item. That said, they never weigh the pieces nor do they check how many you have. This is more of a guideline to adhere to airline rules.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

The only issue with the carry-on is that it has to fit through an airline-style xray machine

Never had anyone count or weigh our luggage - but I know we always take too much!! Going to try to pare down for our Feb 26 Gem sailing :-) That said, could I ask you to come back on when you return with any Gem news or highlights? Also, would love to know your return NYC port arrival time - can't believe we will really dock as late as the 10am on our itinerary. Have a wonderful time!!

Never had anyone count or weigh our luggage - but I know we always take too much!! Going to try to pare down for our Feb 26 Gem sailing :-) That said, could I ask you to come back on when you return with any Gem news or highlights? Also, would love to know your return NYC port arrival time - can't believe we will really dock as late as the 10am on our itinerary. Have a wonderful time!!

You'll actually probably dock closer to 8AM. Debarkation probably starts at 10AM to allow a couple of hours for customs to clear the ship.

Just returned from the 9-day EC cruise on the Gem from Jan. 20-29. Had a great time! We docked between 7:30 and 8am; slight delay while tugboats cleared some ice chunks in the Hudson River surface near the pier. Waited for clearance from the port authorities, then the "Easy Walk-off Disembarkation" (i.e., carrying all your bags ashore) began a little after 8am, continuing till about 9:45. Then the groups who had checked in their luggage were called to disembark in sequence (every 15 minutes), according to the luggage tag color you had selected the day before. My group was scheduled to disembark at 9:45; we actually left at about 9:50.

The last group was scheduled to disembark at 10:45, but since I wasn't there, I don't know if they really had to wait that long.

Getting off the ship was relatively easy; getting away from the terminal was another matter, with so many passengers still waiting for rides, plus the presence of passengers arriving early to embark on their departing cruise(s). The pick-up/drop-off areas were clogged with people and vehicles.

Enjoy your cruise on the Gem!