Rough Seas on Alaskan Cruise

stitch4me

Hello,

I am booked on the Solstice for this coming July 25th saling to Alaska. How rough are the seas? I have cruised many times in the

Caribbean and have been fine but I am worried about the colder seas and more motion of the ship in Alaska. What should I expect?

Thanks!

You are picking a cruise that sails out of Seattle. Leaving Seattle they sail on the outside of Vancouver Island out in the Pacific Ocean where you have a greater chance for rougher seas. Although a lot of people on these boards have reported that their trips out of Seattle have had fine seas so it will be whatever it is at the time.

There is a less chance of rough seas when sailing out of Vancouver and sailing up the inside passage between Vancouver Island and British Columbia. It is a beautiful trip if it is not fogged in or overcast through there.

Sailed RCCL out of Vancouver in1997. With the exception of one night the cruise was like sailing on a calm pond. Wonderful. The first night I woke in the middle if the night and felt some movement and saw we were in open ocean. That is the one and only time I noticed.

I'm prone to motion sickness and never had a problem on that 7 night cruise. Awesome!!!

We sailed on the Solstice out of Seattle last August, and had only one evening of rough-ish seas, with noticeable motion aboard the ship. Most of the time, no motion was noticeable, except when on the gym floor doing pushups or planks. For some reason, I really noticed motion then.

It was a fabulous trip and I'm sure you'll love it.

Hello,

I am booked on the Solstice for this coming July 25th saling to Alaska. How rough are the seas? I have cruised many times in the

Caribbean and have been fine but I am worried about the colder seas and more motion of the ship in Alaska. What should I expect?

Thanks!

The worst seas I have even experienced were in a bad storm sailing back to Seattle on an Alaskan trip. The Captain was able to get permission for us to sail into the inside passage eventually, but the winds were unbelievable and the ship was literally at a 45% angle....plates and glasses were crashing. All the closets were opening and things were falling all over. I just kept watching the staff to see if they were getting nervous.

I have to say the staff never looked nervous and they told me they had been around Cape Horn on a South American cruise and once they went through that, nothing made them nervous.

We had a great, smooth cruise on our Alaska r/t Seattle itinerary on the Infinity in 2011. Things can always change of course and a storm can throw the whole ship around.

Worst seas I've ever experienced where in the South China Sea after a horrific storm had hit Australia.

Edited by yayvacation!

I've done both RTs out of Seattle to Alaska (yes -- Alaskans do take Alaska cruises!), RTs out of Vancouver and the Vancouver to Seward run. On the RTs out of Seattle there is a possibility for some motion on the first and last day. The seas described by HickoryShampoo occurred as the ship was crossing the Gulf of Alaska and so is no longer protected by islands of the Inside Passage.

Have had huge seas between Vthe northern tip of Vancouver Island and the southern Alaska islands. Bottom line is very rough seas are not common and they will adjust the trip if you encounter them by changing the itinerary.

• 3 years later...

I was on the Rhapsody in Aug 2013. The only " rough " parts were the first day at sea heading north, and the second to last day heading south towards Victoria Island. there is a DEFINITE transition between the inside passage and open sea heading back to Seattle though.