keeping it club casual all cruise?

We've done that plenty of times. But we also plan ahead that we will not be attending dinner in the DR on formal night(s). Personally, I don't like to feel out of place. You can opt to go to the Windjammer, which is our first choice, or to one of the specialty restaurants on formal night as well. I would not feel out of place at Giovanni's or Chops on formal night in only smart casual. It's your vacation, do what you want. :D

We will be going on the Allure of the seas. For once we are thinking of forgoing the formal wear.Will this work? Off to work but wish to cha more about the boat with anyone....please

We just returned from a week's cruise on the Oasis of the Seas on Saturday. For the evenings we wore nice resort wear but no tux/evening dress. We attended our regular dining room seating and did not feel out of place at all. With the airline weight restrictions and multiple venues on the Oasis class ships, less and less people are dressing in formal wear. I wouldn't wear jeans or shorts to the dining room, but nice resort wear or country club casual is just fine.

We've done that plenty of times. But we also plan ahead that we will not be attending dinner in the DR on formal night(s). Personally, I don't like to feel out of place. You can opt to go to the Windjammer, which is our first choice, or to one of the specialty restaurants on formal night as well. I would not feel out of place at Giovanni's or Chops on formal night in only smart casual. It's your vacation, do what you want. :D

We've sailed Allure twice. Once we did main seating and once MTD. We noticed main seating appeared more formal than MTD. Of course, it's not exactly a scientific study but I don't think you would feel out of place in MTD. We haven't tried skipping the formal wear yet but there is always a chance. :D

Some of our best cruises have been those that we kept it casual...eat when hungry...drink when thirsty...sleep when tired...wander into bars...people watch..with no particular place to go or time to be there!!!!

DH and I have enough planned activities in "real life"----relax and enjoy!!!!

:)

We've sailed Allure twice. Once we did main seating and once MTD. We noticed main seating appeared more formal than MTD. Of course, it's not exactly a scientific study but I don't think you would feel out of place in MTD. We haven't tried skipping the formal wear yet but there is always a chance. :D

Good point on the difference between MTD and main seating(s). Its only a guess, but in addition I'd be willing to bet that late seating would have a higher percentage of those following suggested formal than early seating. Those who want to dress formal probably aren't generally the ones wanting to eat at 5:30 or 6:00.

Good point on the difference between MTD and main seating(s). Its only a guess, but in addition I'd be willing to bet that late seating would have a higher percentage of those following suggested formal than early seating. Those who want to dress formal probably aren't generally the ones wanting to eat at 5:30 or 6:00.

Wow we actually agree? Are we having a moment? :D

And the reason we prefer to dine at MTD early...we love the casual and after many years of using MDR and or the WJ we have finally found a place that suits us...casuaL+early+MTD = :D

And the reason we prefer to dine at MTD early...we love the casual and after many years of using MDR and or the WJ we have finally found a place that suits us...casuaL+early+MTD = :D

For dinner, we're polar opposites. We'll be MDR, late seating, dressed per RCI's published dress code! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

We have decided to forego the formal dress on our upcoming Allure cruise too. I have always rented a tux for my husband but because there's so much happening on these big ships, we decided to dress casual for this cruise. If we eat in the MDR on a non-formal night, will my husband be okay in casual pants with a short-sleeve polo shirt or is it only long-sleeve shirts with jacket allowed in the MDR? I forgot what the rule of thumb is besides no jeans/shorts. Thanks for your help.

For dinner, we're polar opposites. We'll be MDR, late seating, dressed per RCI's published dress code! :)

So, I will take the bait and light the fire, why not yet one more dress code debate.

Sorry, Royal does not have a "DRESS CODE", merely suggested attire. The only thing prohibited is shorts , t shirts and bathing suits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I will take the bait and light the fire, why not yet one more dress code debate.

Sorry, Royal does not have a "DRESS CODE", merely suggested attire. The only thing prohibited is shorts , t shirts and bathing suits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody was arguing until you showed up! :rolleyes: It's not mandatory, but it most definitely is called a DRESS CODE by RCI.

Allure has thrown in the towel on formal night. The Compass suggested formal and gave an example of a coat (might have said jacket) for men and a dress for women.:eek: On the other nights it was suggested that one not wear shorts, baseball caps, etc. to dinner in the MDR.

We had late seating and only went to the MDR on the first formal night. DH wore a sportcoat, no tie, and blended in with most in our section - dressier than quite a few. So OP's DH will be fine if they choose to go to the MDR.

Edited by critterchick

We will be going on the Allure of the seas. For once we are thinking of forgoing the formal wear.Will this work? Off to work but wish to cha more about the boat with anyone....please

Its ok just go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights or the buffet and they are casual.

Anyone telling you to go someplace besides the MDR on formal night if you choose not to dress in formal wear is making their own "rules" and not providing accurate information.

RCI does provide guidelines. The guideline exists so that someone understands what casual, smart casual, formal means. They are suggestions, not requirements.

There is a minimum (no hats, no t-shirts, no flip flops, no tank tops, no bathing wear, no shorts). Anything above that is acceptable. Jeans are acceptable however, you may be turned away if they are ripped or torn.

Do not allow anyone to make you believe or feel that you can not have the MDR dinner you have paid for in your cruise fare because you do not dress in either a suit/tie or tuxedo on formal night. That is flat wrong. You have paid for a sit down banquet meal with wait service and you are entitled to enjoy that in comfort as long as you meet the MINIMUM threshold for entry. Under no circumstance does another guest have the right to tell you to go elsewhere. Period. Not up for debate.

People only run their mouths like this when they can be keyboard cowboys, once on board no one will ever say anything to you if you are dressed club casual (which I suspect is a pretty snazzy and sharp level of dress anyways). I often see many people dressed to impress, like they are going out to South Beach for the night, and they look awesome and definitely not a business suit or formal gown amongst them.

Edited by LMaxwell

RCCL is the farthest thing from a formal vacation. They put themselves as a higher version of Carnival essentially. They are a family and kid cruise line just like Carnival and Disney. They started making that move with the build of the Voyager class. Formal attire is more on Cunard, Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, HAL, etc... Formal nights on RCCL I see about 60 to 70 percent dress up and that includes diners in the MDR.

Edited by EZCruiser1980

Allure has thrown in the towel on formal night. The Compass suggested formal and gave an example of a coat (might have said jacket) for men and a dress for women.:eek: On the other nights it was suggested that one not wear shorts, baseball caps, etc. to dinner in the MDR.

We had late seating and only went to the MDR on the first formal night. DH wore a sportcoat, no tie, and blended in with most in our section - dressier than quite a few. So OP's DH will be fine if they choose to go to the MDR.

I wouldn't say they've thrown in the towel. Last month I was surprised to hear Ken Rush announcing for the first formal night that if you weren't properly attired you should avoid the Promenade during the Captains meet and greet. That's a pretty busy area and it appeared the majority complied. He also pointed out the restaurants that were casual and those that were not. I've never heard a CD do that on other ships.

Not that I care of course. ;)

Edited by Big_G

You would think this, but in practice, older folks who often prefer to dress more formally at meals eat early and younger folks who often dress more casually dine late. I have also noticed that MTD is more casual than the folks "below" in regular dining, and of course you have the option of dining alone with your own party during MTD which also prevents any possible disapproval from table mates.

This is what I've noticed...it is of course a generalization...plenty of younger people may dress formally or older folks enjoying late dining, but this is what I've observed over many cruises with folks in the lines and in the dining rooms!

You would think this, but in practice, older folks who often prefer to dress more formally at meals eat early and younger folks who often dress more casually dine late. I have also noticed that MTD is more casual than the folks "below" in regular dining, and of course you have the option of dining alone with your own party during MTD which also prevents any possible disapproval from table mates.

This is what I've noticed...it is of course a generalization...plenty of younger people may dress formally or older folks enjoying late dining, but this is what I've observed over many cruises with folks in the lines and in the dining rooms!

I really think those old folks who eat early aren't generally the same set of old folks who like to dress formally. I'd be willing to bet overall the percentage of those not dressing formally is higher at early seating than at late seating. (And we ARE some of those "older folk.") :)