Handicap must PAY for priority boarding???

Sewkitty

I seem to recall someone else saying a while back that the reason that they spread the handicap/special-needs clients out (i.e. make them go through with regular boarding groups generally) is that if they sent them ALL through as one group (whether before or after platinum/FTTF/or some other group) then it would slow things up going through security/getting into elevators/etc. Think (hypothetically) about having 50 people in wheelchairs, and their personal hand luggage, and a helper each, all waiting to use one or two elevators in the terminal, and holding up the next group until they had ALL been taken all the way through to the ship. I can see the logic of the cruise-lines and terminal operators doing this "spread" throughout the process to make things flow more smoothly.

I can't recall who said it but it was mentioned this year.

And then there is the large group of people with that person in the wheelchair that just has to stay with them, many times I have seen 4 to 8 people go with the one person in the wheelchair, and then saw that same person on board walking around, never back in the wheelchair until it was time to debark the ship.

You also have to consider the fact that there are those out there who would rent a wheelchair just to gain access to priority boarding if this was the practice of the cruise lines. I've seen it happen many times at amusement parks where they offer line skipping for handicapped guests.

Yeah, and something similar caused Disney to make a major change due to a secret "rent-a-handicapped-person to join your family for the day" service which helped some wealthy families to get front-of-line access on everything at the park(s). Just search Youtube for "disney fraudulent disabled". So sad that some people will abuse things and mess things up for those that truly need it.

Kharma takes care of folks that abuse a situation..I would not stress out about it and start my cruise on a sour note

I think overall most cruisers and the cruise staff do an outstanding job in being sensitive to the situation...

A lot indignation on both sides of the house on this thread.

I think the OP could have communicated their desires a lot better.

The :mad: and the fact that they used the word "priority" got me going.

Had the OP called Carnival and asked if assistance would be available, I'm thinking this thread would have taken a different direction.

By used the :mad: and the word "Priority",,,, says entitlement in my head and I still stand by my original post.

Had the OP asked if "assistance" would be available,,,, then that's a whole different story.

Would you mind telling me the port where there is free parking? That would be helpful in our planning. I know of Charleston and have heard of Miami. One other (Port Canaveral perhaps?) offers it if the vehicle has special equipment, I understand.

Many thanks.

Kathy

As of November 2013 regular disability parking at Port of Miami is no longer free, it is regular price. If your vehicle is equipped with special equipment there is no charge. Here is the website. http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-transportation.asp#parking

My husband has only weight bearing on one leg and uses a walker. I called Carnival and they said unless we upgrade to a Suite we must pay $49.95 for some priority boarding package. What is wrong with this picture?? Has anyone else experienced this issue? What ever happened to accommodating the handicap?

Unfortunately what has happened is people taking advantage and claiming to have a disability that is nonexistent. :mad: I can see that happening just to board earlier.

At Disneyland the disabled now stay in line with the regular folk. Turns out many were abusing the system, even hiring a handicapped person for the use of the line. OTOH the single rider line is very quick.

Disneyland has HC parking in the Character Parking Lot. Big clumps of them near each elavator.

That was "normal" folk then abusing the system...and in the end hurting those who legitimately needed it by the changes that occurred.

I have OsteoArthritis in my left knee,had it in the right knee too, just had a total knee replacement. I have Systemic lupus which affects almost all my joints. In order for me to enjoy cruising I must rent a scooter. Sometimes because of the way some people are I feel very self conscious using the scooter. I am able to walk short distance, but my knees give out on me. When at the elevator I wait my turn and if elevators look all very pack I just push away and continue waiting eventually I am able to get in. I don't want any special attention,at the lido I ask my daughter or husband to get what I need. Having said all this what I do at embarkation is that I order FTTF and I go in a suite. Yes it is very much more than what my husband and I need but we do it out of necessity. It is very hard for people with disability to get around I have learn this the hard way. Your mind wants to do so much but your body says something else. People without disability just have alittle patience with us we mean well we just want to have alittle fun as best as we can..

My DH has multiple sclerosis and requires wheelchair assistance at airports and embarking/disembarking planes and cruiseships. On airplanes, they prefer to have disabled be seated first before the rest of the passengers. It is the airlines practice.

When we cruise, we arrive at the terminal and ask for wheelchair assistance. Sometimes we have to wait for one and sometimes one is there immediately. But while waiting, they always make sure my DH has a seat somewhere so he doesn't have to stand. It depends how many wheelchairs are at use at the time. Once we are brought through security and then to check in, it depends how busy it is there. Sometimes he goes right on through and onto the ship and other times there might be a bit of a wait. We don't expect to be first just because he is in a wheelchair.

When getting on tenders, if DH only has his cane or his walker, they always put him on first as it is easier for them to "secure him" before everyone else gets on. Sometimes they lift him up too!

Always make sure when booking your cruise that you have your agent or rep make a notation that he is disabled.

Carnival has always been wonderful to my DH and always make sure he is comfortable. And I also want to add that the passengers are always very nice too...holding the elevator doors opened and so on.

My husband has only weight bearing on one leg and uses a walker. I called Carnival and they said unless we upgrade to a Suite we must pay $49.95 for some priority boarding package. What is wrong with this picture?? Has anyone else experienced this issue? What ever happened to accommodating the handicap?

When my wife was recuperating from knee surgery and was in a wheelchair, we did not get priority booking. Carnival did take us to a special check in window that was lower than the rest and we boarded with the regular passengers. I don't understand why you think you should get priority boarding.

Last November I had knee surgery on Thursday and cruised on Saturday. I knew standing in lines wasn't going to be fun and I would slow people down with my crutches. I figured the best way to handle this was to wait until mid-afternoon to board. Went right to my cabin without paying for FTTF.

It worked just fine. No lines, no expectation of getting on the ship before others. I didn't even have to pay extra to participate in the free for all in the buffet where I probably would have been knocked down by someone trying to get their food as they are swinging their carry-ons around.

Guess I should admit, I always wait till mid-afternoon -- just don't need those extra couple hours of chaos in my life.

Would it really be so bad if they helped the few people in wheel chairs or crutches canes walkers onboard after FTtf and before the masses beat down the gates really folks we are talking about a dozen to 2 dozen folks. The person needing help can only bring one person to help not a entire family.. And a true handicapped would have to be not somebody faking a injury

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Taking my sister with us on our next cruise. She has had 5 strokes. Carnival has offered her a wheelchair and early boarding. She said she does not need it. We bought FTTF for our cabin. She is beside us and Carnival is allowing her to board with us under FTTF. We are both in handicap cabins. Asking for nothing special Carnival offered.

That was "normal" folk then abusing the system...and in the end hurting those who legitimately needed it by the changes that occurred.

True that. People who don't need the privilege ruin things for the legitimate ones in need.

Next, you'll have people claiming that their pet is a "service animal", just because they don't want to be away from their precious darling for a week. Oh, wait . . . :rolleyes:

If you need wheelchair assistance it can take even longer to board as there are only so many wheelchairs and people to push them. Before my FIL passed away we took him on several cruises out of Galveston. We were Platinum at the time and always paid for his trip and onboard expenses with our credit card. We could check in together at VIP check in. We would complete the process in minutes and then have to sit there waiting until they found someone with a wheelchair to take him onboard. Often the wait was 30 minutes or more. Even though we were Platinum we had to sit there in the long line of people waiting for wheelchairs. Our longest wait was 2 hours. There was no way he could walk up the winding gangway himself. We rented a wheelchair for him from Special Needs at Sea and it was always waiting at his cabin, if only we could get him there.

I have to use a walker to get around but going up the gangplank is just too hard for me so I ask for wheelchair assistance. All of the cruise ships that I have been on since becoming disabled have been great.

What really gets me is the people that abuse things. On our last cruise we ended up in England. We flew out of Heathrow right to Toronto. There seemed to be a lot of disabled people boarding. In fact we found out in Toronto that they had been told there were 35 disabled people on board. Funny thing is though when we got to Toronto there were only 2 of us. That really upsets me because it will make it harder for those of us who really do need the help. And I use my walker the whole time I am on the ship, I have to.

There are times that I feel a little better than other times but at all times I need the walker. I really wish I could go back 2 years ago and not need it but I can't. It is so frustrating not being able to do things as simple as standing without help.

tigercat

They do give those who need it special assistance, wheelchair, assign someone to push wheelchair if needed etc. But...the line wait - as others have said, if you are well enough to go on a cruise, how will sitting hurt you?

No priority need there = pay the Faster to fun fee or wait till you earn Platinum.

Oh- Miami cruiseport used to give all handicap stickers free parking = but that changed in November - now only free for those who have a true "mobility" van/like with a lift. Seriously there are simply tons of people with handicapped stickers here in Florida - do they all deserve free parking and priorty? For a cruise they chose to purchase?? IMHO - ummm....NO

If they are too "sick" to wait in line - well aren't they too "sick" to cruise?

I have OsteoArthritis in my left knee,had it in the right knee too, just had a total knee replacement. I have Systemic lupus which affects almost all my joints. In order for me to enjoy cruising I must rent a scooter. Sometimes because of the way some people are I feel very self conscious using the scooter. I am able to walk short distance, but my knees give out on me. When at the elevator I wait my turn and if elevators look all very pack I just push away and continue waiting eventually I am able to get in. I don't want any special attention,at the lido I ask my daughter or husband to get what I need. Having said all this what I do at embarkation is that I order FTTF and I go in a suite. Yes it is very much more than what my husband and I need but we do it out of necessity. It is very hard for people with disability to get around I have learn this the hard way. Your mind wants to do so much but your body says something else. People without disability just have alittle patience with us we mean well we just want to have alittle fun as best as we can..

Why would you pay for FTTF if you are booked in a suite?? Suite already gets VIP embarking. If you are not in a suite I can see why you might purchase the FTTF but NOT if you already paid for a suite - hope this helps

Would you mind telling me the port where there is free parking? That would be helpful in our planning. I know of Charleston and have heard of Miami. One other (Port Canaveral perhaps?) offers it if the vehicle has special equipment, I understand.

Many thanks.

Kathy

Miami no longer offers free parking for the regular handicapped permits but still does for the "modified van" = call them to find the details. Actually Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) offers this also but never offered the free parking for all disabled.

They all have disabled spaces - close in etc. that you pay for

I think handicapped needs to go first before ANYONE! If and when you ever have a issue with standing for long periods of time you will understand. If they need to wait their turn fine, give them a number, let them sit and then when their time is called stop everyone in line make them clear the way then let them board. It's ridiculous for anyone to begrudge a handicapped person priority boarding. That's heartless at the very least it's respectful for the handicapped person, like holding the door for them getting on the elevator or holding open a door so they can walk in. Geesh the "me me memememememe" "I'm just as important as anyone else, blah blah blah" is underwhelming to me. Be thankful you aren't handicapped because one day most of you/us will be.

Sorry but if they can't stand of course they should be given a seat right away...and they can sit there until it is their turn to board.

Just like they should be given close in /disabled parking but NOT free parking. I have seen that abused a lot and it is no wonder port of Miami stopped it

Sorry but if they can't stand of course they should be given a seat right away...and they can sit there until it is their turn to board.

Just like they should be given close in /disabled parking but NOT free parking. I have seen that abused a lot and it is no wonder port of Miami stopped it

I totally agree! As a nurse who works with the disabled, no one deserves PRIORITY embarkation (unless they pay for it in some way), they deserve ASSISTANCE with embarkation! If you think about it, there is a difference between the two.

Have you been on a flight lately? EVERYONE has a wheelchair or is disabled at boarding.... but watch the when it's time to disembark... The abuse on Carnival would be just as MASSIVE...

No, Handicap should not get priority boarding. Yes, they should get help or a wheelchair, but priority.... no.

I have to agree fully with you!

For each priority boarded special needs person another able bodied person if not more or even a group will need to accompany them in priority.

I am though yet to see disabled people at a cruise Terminal not be given priority over able bodied people as it is obvious at point of boarding that they may need help, but asking ahead of time for priority and getting confirmation would bring out all the malingerers and scammers!

The amount of people who have pushed in cruise queues on-board with a walker is outrageous, if they can cruise they can wait like everyone else.

Genuine disabled people in my experience do not expect priority anything, more able bodied people naturally respect a handicap or difficulty and help or stand aside through politeness and respect, that same respect extends from cruise officials and staff every cruise without having to book it ahead first:)