Handicap must PAY for priority boarding???

Sewkitty

OP -- Our experience has been that when Carnival sees that you have someone in your party who is of need of some boarding help, that you are moved to a shorter boarding line to help you and your party get on the ship safely and comfortably and to help with the overall flow of boarding of passengers.

You also have to consider the fact that there are those out there who would rent a wheelchair just to gain access to priority boarding if this was the practice of the cruise lines.

I don't think so, and in our experience priority boarding for those with special needs is the practice of Carnival. -- renting a wheel chair for one person for the duration of a cruise is more expensive than buying priority boarding for your entire party (if you have a party of four or less). It's also a pain to have a wheelchair on the ship, so I can't see anyone getting one of these unless they need it for getting around the ship or in many cases (maybe they are fine on the ship), but need it for the ports. That was the situation we had on our last cruise with DS who was on crutches. If you need a wheel chair for the duration of a cruise but aren't bringing your own, call Carnival and they will give you the names of companies that they work with. You rent from that company, and the chair will be waiting at your cabin and you leave it there after the cruise. Carnival will provide a chair for getting on and off. // Our experience when we rented one of these and DS arrived at the cruise port with crutches (knee injury) is that we started off in regular lines, Carnival got us a wheel chair for boarding when they saw that DS was on crutches, and moved us to a priority line and helped push DS in a wheelchair up the gangway, allowing us to carry the crutches and get on the ship more easily.

Have you been on a flight lately? EVERYONE has a wheelchair or is disabled at boarding.... but watch the when it's time to disembark... ..

I believe you are misguided here regarding the people who are getting disabled boarding on a plane and get off of their own accord and then wait for their wheelchairs. Yes, many people who get a wheelchair at the airport can do some of their own walking. My 90 year old mother in law is a great example. She can walk for about 30 minutes, but has some knee issues, heart issues, and to travel to and from the gate, handle the airport security lines, etc. needs some special assistance. Believe me, you want these people getting some special assistance vs. them being right by you and you not sure they are going to make it when they start getting tired and wobbly. The same is true for boarding a cruise ship. // Wheel chair assistance at the airport is no ride in the park. Sure that person and their party get through some of the security lines faster and get priority boarding (on Southwest it's between people who paid for this and/or got the A group), but at a special point before everyone has boarded), but that's to help the overall flow of people getting to the gate and getting on the plane and to allow that person to be safe and comfortable. There is plenty of waiting, though, -- finding a place for that person to sit (airport or cruise port) while someone else finds the kind staff members who will offer some special assistance. It's an extra hassle for sure and IMHO I can't see anyone in any way shape or form doing this for special treatment in lines. People are doing it because they truly need special assistance. // You arrange the special assistance ahead of time and they ask if you can made it out of the plane and get the assistance after getting through the gate or if you need to have the wheelchair waiting for you to make it though that.

Edited by kathy884

As of November 2013 regular disability parking at Port of Miami is no longer free, it is regular price. If your vehicle is equipped with special equipment there is no charge. Here is the website. http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-transportation.asp#parking

Thank you. That really makes sense.

Kathy

Genuine disabled people in my experience do not expect priority anything, more able bodied people naturally respect a handicap or difficulty and help or stand aside through politeness and respect, that same respect extends from cruise officials and staff every cruise without having to book it ahead first:)

Agree. Then you go on a cruise ship (or even out in public!) and see all those without the first iota of manners. It works both ways. How many times have you had to avoid getting your toes run over by a motorized scooter?

For what it's worth, take your manners with you on a cruise.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Thanks Esty, yes we are aware of that, but I had posted in a prior post as to why I think FTTF is great. My husband also has a bad back and it is very hard for us to carry around our carry-on. Lots of medicine, CPax machine. We purchase it so we can deliver all that to our cabin as soon as we board..Thanks for the info anyway always useful...

My husband has only weight bearing on one leg and uses a walker. I called Carnival and they said unless we upgrade to a Suite we must pay $49.95 for some priority boarding package. What is wrong with this picture?? Has anyone else experienced this issue? What ever happened to accommodating the handicap?

Under this rationale you should also be given free parking at the cruise port.

I can tell you've never cared for a handicapped person. It's not SPECIAL treatment it's accommodating their handicap, just like a ramp. Be kind. Try pushing a wheelchair in a crowd with people pushing and jumping in front of you while you try not to bump them...it's not easy and if you've never cared for been handicapped you have absolutely NO idea. And be thankful you don't have first hand experience. I can assure you that anyone in that wheelchair would gladly stand in line if they physically could. They'd change places with you in a heartbeat.

I fail to understand how a ramp for person in a wheelchair compares to someone thinking they are entitled to free priority boarding are the same thing. Of course, a handicapped person will need accomodations...ramps, larger restroom stalls, parking spots, etc. but not special treatment.

And just so you know, I did care for a wheelchair bound student during my first year of teaching. I know she would've loved to be able to STAND in a line, but she never expected to go to the front of a line just because she was in a wheelchair.

The amount of entitlement that some people expect is ridiculous. Assistance is one thing, free priority boarding is entirely different.

Thanks Esty, yes we are aware of that, but I had posted in a prior post as to why I think FTTF is great. My husband also has a bad back and it is very hard for us to carry around our carry-on. Lots of medicine, CPax machine. We purchase it so we can deliver all that to our cabin as soon as we board..Thanks for the info anyway always useful...

I may be incorrect but don't the FTTF benefits also include the guests booked in suites being able to go to their cabin as soon as they board to drop off their carry-on and receivve priority luggage delivery as well? If so, then it seems you could save some money and not have to book the FTTF.

I have been on six Carnival cruises from four different ports and at every one, the handicapped were allowed to board before the masses. Not positive in what order but it went Wedding parties, Diamond/Platinum, Handicapped, and now FTTF.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have someone in a wheelchair or walker trying to go up the ramp with 3000 people pushing and shoving behind them.

For one of our cruises out of NOLA, my sister in law was in a wheelchair after having foot surgery. She and her grand daughter were allowed to board before anyone else was. We could not believe how rude the other passengers were toward the handicapped. They would literally shove their way in front of her at the elevators. The crew was fantastic with her but the fellow passengers left a lot to be desired.

I can't understand how some of the posters on here can be so cold and indifferent towards the handicapped. I'm fortunate that I was raised to have some compassion towards my fellow man.

I may be incorrect but don't the FTTF benefits also include the guests booked in suites being able to go to their cabin as soon as they board to drop off their carry-on and receivve priority luggage delivery as well? If so, then it seems you could save some money and not have to book the FTTF.

If you are Diamond or Platinum then your room is ready due to FTTF. I have never seen it posted that those with Suites have their rooms ready upon boarding.

That is incorrect. Suites get priority embarkation and disembarkation only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk