Ship Life on an Alaska Cruise

R Prim

Thank you all so much! Packing will be a challenge I know, and with paying for checked baggage we need to keep it at a minimum. I have gotten so much information on ports of call and excursions but just hadn't heard much about what to expect on board.

Experienced Alaska cruiser here....the answer to your packing conundrum is layers!!!! For example, wear a shirt under a sweater under a light to mid weight jacket. The warmer you get, the more you can take off to make yourself comfortable. Definitely bring gloves/mittens/something to cover your head if you are cruising anywhere near a glacier.......it is much colder near the glaciers. Also bring waterproof ponchos to put over your clothes if it decides to rain....and it probably will rain at least a bit on your cruise.

Enjoy Alaska....it is not the Caribbean, but it is an experience unto itself....imagine sitting and eating dinner and looking out the window to see dolphins or orcas or whales passing by....seeing eagles flying by all over the place.....watching the snow capped mountains passing by while sitting in a hot tub!

It took me years to talk the DH into going to Alaska. He kept saying it was too cold. This year, we'll be back in Alaska for 10 days and we won't do a cruise at all. Land trip all the way. We've sailed 3 different cruise lines up there including Carnival.

I found the dining room to also be more casual. They will serve some of the local fish at times. I believe they even had casual anytime dining for everyone a night or two due to later port times. The scenery is jaw dropping. The weather is totally unpredictable. We've gone in July and been cold and gone in early June and worn shorts. I liked Michelle, the naturalist, and thought she was very informative. Some of the other lines have none and then we had one that was just plain wrong on some of the stuff he reported.

Take advantage of laundry while there to cut down on some of the packing. There is so much info to research, that first trip can be overwhelming. We now just go blend in with the locals. I totally agree with Budget Queen that the Seattle itineraries don't get to the really beautiful parts of the state. We enjoy the Kenai area the most and can't wait to be back there in June!

Edited by LRene