Need London Help RE: Hotels, Transportation and Tours

Dragon, as you know we stayed at the Doubletree last summer.

I'd like to second the mention of the brasserie "Cote" on St. Katharine's docks. It's a chain, but you can't tell when you're in there. Good service and food. There are many other places to eat within a few steps.

There's a pub nearby called "The Hung, Drawn & Quartered." We didn't eat there, but were sorry we didn't give it a try. I think it's on (upper? lower?) Thames street.

I really love Blackfriar's, a pub which isn't in the neighborhood of the hotel, but is at the Blackfriar's tube station a couple of stops away on the District or Circle line. It's not that the food is so great, it's the incredible building and interior design.

Oh, and the recommendation for Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms? RUN, don't walk! It is one of our absolute favorites. You can combine it with a trip to the Westminster Cathedral, as they are very close to each other.

We are glad to hear this. This was one of the places we were especially interested in. Do you remember how far it is from the Buckingham Palace? I am trying to plan out the day near the palace.

If you are determined it's a 10 minute walk down Birdcage Walk. In reality, it will probably take up to 20 as you enjoy the views on the way as you stroll through St James's Park :)

Oh, and the recommendation for Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms? RUN, don't walk! It is one of our absolute favorites. You can combine it with a trip to the Westminster Cathedral, as they are very close to each other.

Did you mean the Cathedral or the Abbey? The Cathedral is up by Victoria, but still only 15 minutes away; the Abbey is just round the corner from the War Rooms.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

There's a pub nearby called "The Hung, Drawn & Quartered." We didn't eat there, but were sorry we didn't give it a try. I think it's on (upper? lower?) Thames street.

It's actually on Great Tower Street, but at the junction with Lower Thames Street :)

Decent pub, a Fuller's Ale and Pie house. This is a chain of pubs almost always in converted buildings, often old banks, but dressed up to look as if they are old and traditional. Not a bad thing, they tend to have more room than actual old pubs, with very high ceilings and more presentable restrooms! Usually decent food and a good selection of beer - London Pride is a favourite, don't have too many ESBs at lunchtime if you have plans for the afternoon.... There are several of these pubs scattered throughout the City, all quite interesting inside and you know what you will get. The Barrowboy and Banker just on the south side of London Bridge is another, close by Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

We revisited the Cabinet War rooms last weekend after about a ten year gap. The Churchill museum is fascinating - you can lose yourself in there for hours. It is not only a detailed look at Churchill's life but a comprehensive lesson in British history over the last 150 years. Not to be missed IMHO.

Decent pub, a Fuller's Ale and Pie house. This is a chain of pubs almost always in converted buildings, often old banks, but dressed up to look as if they are old and traditional. ... There are several of these pubs scattered throughout the City, all quite interesting inside and you know what you will get. The Barrowboy and Banker just on the south side of London Bridge is another, close by Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market.
IIRC, the Sanctuary House Hotel (occasionally mentioned here) is another Fullers establishment, with the pub on the ground floor.

We are glad to hear this. This was one of the places we were especially interested in. Do you remember how far it is from the Buckingham Palace? I am trying to plan out the day near the palace.

My original post didn't quite express what I wanted to say. Going to the Churchill War rooms had been on our to-do list for three trips, but we never pulled off a visit. By this most recent trip, our expectations were so high that I was concerned the experience would not deliver. Our visit was deeply meaningful, but we took the time to read the signs and to think about what we were seeing. For example, I recommend you take a careful look at the wall-sized map with the pins marking the sites of military action. Look especially at the density of the holes where the pins have been removed to get a sense of the theaters of operation. Or listen to the first person oral histories to hear about the living conditions -- especially the persistent upper respiratory problems -- and remember the stories as you walk through the hallways that can get crowded in places.

Sorry, I can't help you with logistics from Buckingham Palace. We started our day at the War Rooms. I think we arrived within fifteen minutes of the 9:30 AM opening, and I recommend doing the same. You'll be able to book timed admission to Buckingham Palace so the lines and the crowds in the palace are always controlled. That's not the case in the Churchill Cabinet rooms. The line at the admission desk was much, much longer when we left than when we arrived.

We want to purchase tickets to see the State rooms at the palace since they are open in Aug and Sept. I am planning on getting tickets for Fri Aug 29. There are still tickets available--but, I assume they will eventually sell out. These are timed tickets and I need to figure out the best time to be there. I would pick the first in the morning usually to avoid crowds. But, since they are timed they must control the numbers--so that should not be an issue.

Yes. That's exactly the point I made in another reply to your question about the Churchill Cabinet Rooms.

If I select an early morning time I will waste my HOHO time the second day. Also, I would like to catch the Changing of the Guards. I know this is at 11:30. But, in Aug it is only every other day. I only have a 50% chance of catching this.

Since you're goal oriented, I wouldn't recommend you try to see the Changing of the Guard. I tried once and only once on a trip that took place in 1982. ( I remember the date because it was during the Falklands Island crisis.) I arrived 30 minutes early for the ceremony and only got a spot 4 rows back. Since I'm 5'3" tall, I couldn't see very much. The FAQ for the official site says that folks arrive as early as 9:30 for the 10:45 ceremony. I don't get the sense that you would enjoy spending your limited time this way.

My original post didn't quite express what I wanted to say. Going to the Churchill War rooms had been on our to-do list for three trips, but we never pulled off a visit. By this most recent trip, our expectations were so high that I was concerned the experience would not deliver. Our visit was deeply meaningful, but we took the time to read the signs and to think about what we were seeing. For example, I recommend you take a careful look at the wall-sized map with the pins marking the sites of military action. Look especially at the density of the holes where the pins have been removed to get a sense of the theaters of operation. Or listen to the first person oral histories to hear about the living conditions -- especially the persistent upper respiratory problems -- and remember the stories as you walk through the hallways that can get crowded in places.

Sorry, I can't help you with logistics from Buckingham Palace. We started our day at the War Rooms. I think we arrived within fifteen minutes of the 9:30 AM opening, and I recommend doing the same. You'll be able to book timed admission to Buckingham Palace so the lines and the crowds in the palace are always controlled. That's not the case in the Churchill Cabinet rooms. The line at the admission desk was much, much longer when we left than when we arrived.

This is a photo I took last weekend of the pinholes off the US coast.

IMG_1226_zpsc61eed32.jpg

Definitely get the audio commentary - it adds a lot to the experience.

This is a photo I took last weekend of the pinholes off the US coast.

Yes! That sight was very disquieting. No military action in the classic sense but didn't those pin holes represent confirmed German U-boat sightings?

Definitely get the audio commentary - it adds a lot to the experience.

+1

If you are determined it's a 10 minute walk down Birdcage Walk. In reality, it will probably take up to 20 as you enjoy the views on the way as you stroll through St James's Park :)

Did you mean the Cathedral or the Abbey? The Cathedral is up by Victoria, but still only 15 minutes away; the Abbey is just round the corner from the War Rooms.

Please use Eagle's local knowledge on the matter of Westminster. It is, indeed, the Abbey. Sorry for misspeaking, but I see you have much more info on the War Rooms by now anyway!

Wow! I was away for a day and there are so many great posts. Thank you all.

Thank you for the restaurant information. We want to make sure that we go to at least one pub while we are in London. Even if they are in a converted building or part of a chain--they will be new and unique to us. :)

Your comments about the Churchill War rooms sound very good. As I mentioned in a previous post we are retired history teachers. This sounds like a must see attraction for us. [the map is amazing]

Pet Nit Noy--you are correct I will not want to spend that much of a morning seeing the changing of the guard. I had read on Trip Advisor that it is hard to get a good spot to see it. It would be a shame to spend our limited time waiting and not see very much.

OK--I have a communication question. . . . and let me say that I need a not too technical answer. :o

I will be in UK for 3 days, then France for one day, back to UK for a port day, then Ireland for a day. It would be good to have phone service during this time. I have never done this before--so, if it is too hard or expensive I will do without. I would use this mostly to contact excursion operators, car hires, etc.

I usually contact my kids via email. I have that at my UK hotel and have a few minutes aboard ship via D status and will use mine and DH to buy a small package.

I have a samsung S3 mini phone and use Verizon if that helps any.

I have read the threads regarding buying phones in UK. That seems like too much money for a few days.

OK--I have a communication question. . . . and let me say that I need a not too technical answer. :o

I will be in UK for 3 days, then France for one day, back to UK for a port day, then Ireland for a day. It would be good to have phone service during this time. I have never done this before--so, if it is too hard or expensive I will do without. I would use this mostly to contact excursion operators, car hires, etc.

I usually contact my kids via email. I have that at my UK hotel and have a few minutes aboard ship via D status and will use mine and DH to buy a small package.

I have read the threads regarding buying phones in UK. That seems like too much money for a few days.

I too wanted to call home from London, Harwich, and Cork. I have a work phone but with Verizon. The person that handles all of our work phones said that they do not do plans now (I have gotten an out of country plan in the past) but go on data downloads or just minutes. She said that if I put my IPhone on no data then it will not do anything but call. Now the calls are under $1 a minute so I figured for 3 calls of 5 minutes, I could do the $15 for this trip. Check with your Verizon store and see if it is not the same. I plan on going to her the day before I leave work and make sure I have data turned off. Bet you can do the same thing. Julia

I too wanted to call home from London, Harwich, and Cork. I have a work phone but with Verizon. The person that handles all of our work phones said that they do not do plans now (I have gotten an out of country plan in the past) but go on data downloads or just minutes. She said that if I put my IPhone on no data then it will not do anything but call. Now the calls are under $1 a minute so I figured for 3 calls of 5 minutes, I could do the $15 for this trip. Check with your Verizon store and see if it is not the same. I plan on going to her the day before I leave work and make sure I have data turned off. Bet you can do the same thing. Julia

Please excuse me as I am only operating at about a Nursery School level where anything electronic or computer related is concerned, but I thought that US based cellular phones would not work for calling in Europe and the UK as they use an entirely different cellular system.

Hope that I am wrong, or that things have changed since then, but I also just heard on a radio program yesterday that Verizon offers an International calling plan for $5.00 per month. I just assumed that this would be $5.00 per month for the life of your contract, but also assumed that it would be for calling out from the US.

Can someone straighten me out?

Your phone will work in Europe. You just need to see what your carrier allows. The international plan you are talking about is calling from the US to other contries or at least that is what I understand. The best anyone can do is go directly to their carrier for specifics. The woman at my work place does this on a daily basis so that is the only reason I did not go directly to Verizon. Hope this helps. Julia

Your phone will work in Europe. You just need to see what your carrier allows. The international plan you are talking about is calling from the US to other contries or at least that is what I understand. The best anyone can do is go directly to their carrier for specifics. The woman at my work place does this on a daily basis so that is the only reason I did not go directly to Verizon. Hope this helps. Julia

A year ago I purchased a global ready device at a Verizon store only to get to Europe to find that the store had failed to install the latest Android OS update and sent me on a a 3 week trip with nothing more than a wifi device. [emoji35] Do make sure you confirm your 3s mini has the latest Android updates as some phones lying on the store shelves may be out of date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Please excuse me as I am only operating at about a Nursery School level where anything electronic or computer related is concerned, [yes--me, too LOL] but I thought that US based cellular phones would not work for calling in Europe and the UK as they use an entirely different cellular system.

This is what I thought after I read some of the threads on CC. Other threads talked about "unlocking" the phone.

Hope that I am wrong, or that things have changed since then, but I also just heard on a radio program yesterday that Verizon offers an International calling plan for $5.00 per month. I just assumed that this would be $5.00 per month for the life of your contract, but also assumed that it would be for calling out from the US.

Can someone straighten me out?

I looked into this plan. You are correct, it is to call from the US to other countries. [Global calling is $5 per month and a fee per minute]

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I was trying to get a little information I could understand before I go to the Verizon store. Sometimes the answers I get there are in a "foreign language."

A year ago I purchased a global ready device at a Verizon store only to get to Europe to find that the store had failed to install the latest Android OS update and sent me on a a 3 week trip with nothing more than a wifi device. [emoji35] Do make sure you confirm your 3s mini has the latest Android updates as some phones lying on the store shelves may be out of date.

I am so sorry that happened to you. What did you do?

I know that my S-3 mini is not the latest version. I may not be able to make it happen.

I was trying to get a little information I could understand before I go to the Verizon store. Sometimes the answers I get there are in a "foreign language."

I am so sorry that happened to you. What did you do?

I know that my S-3 mini is not the latest version. I may not be able to make it happen.

Hi Dragon,

Thanks for replying. There was nothing that could be done regarding the phone once in Europe, unfortunately. I, too, needed calling primarily to check in with my children, so I messaged them on Face ...book and we stayed in touch that way! Not the convenience of calling, but, in the end, it worked out. In the event of a real emergency, I had left them alternate phone numbers for the hotels.

As a side note, I was so upset with Verizon, that I felt I couldn't stay calm enough to even speak to them about what had happened. I just updated the phone once I got home and moved on. [emoji33]

If your phone will not work out, Verizon has a global loaner program. Check into that. It wasn't going to work for me due to exceeding the rental period, so I had bought not so "global ready" Droid instead.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

We are on the TA cruise with you on Aug 31. We are also on the Baltic cruise before it for our B2B. I use Verizon too and also think it might be a good idea to have global service while we are in Europe. Here are a couple of links that might be helpful.

http://www.verizonwireless.com

FAQ's: (add the line below to the address above to get the full address)

/support/faqs/InternationalServicesandRoaming/faq_global_rental.html

Global Plans and Pricing:

(add the line below to the address above to get the full address)

/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

According to the Verizon rep on the phone, you will need to have a phone that works in Europe. He told me my iPhone will work. I don't know about your phone so you might want to call them. He also said that I could add the Global plan to my account before I go and cancel it when I get home. I really haven't decided on it yet, but we're seriously thinking about it.

I hope this helps,

Millie

Having global service while in Europe is the way to go. Last August while in London we had an early morning flight out of LHR that was delayed by 7 hours. We were informed about the delay and able to get some extra sleep. Without the phone we would of been stuck at the airport all that time. Also, make sure you have text ability. I have AT&T and that was an extra cost but worth it to keep in touch with home.

We are on the TA cruise with you on Aug 31. We are also on the Baltic cruise before it for our B2B. I use Verizon too and also think it might be a good idea to have global service while we are in Europe. Here are a couple of links that might be helpful.

http://www.verizonwireless.com

FAQ's: (add the line below to the address above to get the full address)

/support/faqs/InternationalServicesandRoaming/faq_global_rental.html

Global Plans and Pricing:

(add the line below to the address above to get the full address)

/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

According to the Verizon rep on the phone, you will need to have a phone that works in Europe. He told me my iPhone will work. I don't know about your phone so you might want to call them. He also said that I could add the Global plan to my account before I go and cancel it when I get home. I really haven't decided on it yet, but we're seriously thinking about it.

I hope this helps,

Millie

Having global service while in Europe is the way to go. Last August while in London we had an early morning flight out of LHR that was delayed by 7 hours. We were informed about the delay and able to get some extra sleep. Without the phone we would of been stuck at the airport all that time. Also, make sure you have text ability. I have AT&T and that was an extra cost but worth it to keep in touch with home.

Thank you both. I am not ignoring your comments. I plan to call Verizon and check out my options. I will post what they tell me.

We have a house full of family/grandkids at this point. [school spring vacation] :) A wonderful problem to have.

I will be back to planning travel soon.