Overnight in Maui

lovebears

In Sept we will be overnight in Maui arriving in Kahului on the Carnival Miracle and plan to rent a car for the 2 days. We have reservations at OLL Luau thenfirst night and want to do a very early morning snorkel and turtle swim with Pacific Whale Foundation the following morning. I am wondering if it would be better to try and stay at a hotel in Lahaina than drive back to the ship and have to worry about finding a place to park by the ship and the having to leave the ship so early to get to the check on for the snorkel. It seems a little silly to book a place to stay when we already have a room on the ship but wonder if it would be easier to stay in Lahaina. Would appreciate any thoughts or if anyone has done this before? Thanks so much!

I have stayed overnight in Egypt and Israel and as long as you tell the ship authorities you should be good. Have you looked at tripadvisor for a hotel - anything that makes it easier for you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Pacific Whale Foundation is less than 10 miles approx 15 min. very easy drive. There is parking near the cruise terminal but it will be filled by the time you back from OLL. There also parking a stones throw away and if they charge it's no more than $20 or it may even be in a mall and free I just never used it. You can ask your shuttle driver to show you where to park.

While on Pacific Whale Foundation right across the street is the Maui Ocean Center and it gets great reviews, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get your monies worth out of car rental

Another note is i assuming your going into the town of Lahaina if so the day drive along the coast is beautiful and lots of stops you can pull as there so many kodak moments. it's also a very simple drive back after the luau but it will be dark for pics.

You'll enjoy the luau the food is great and it's organized so they lead you up table by table and they have two lines to serve from, drinks are good and not watered down but be care drinking and driving. You can expect to be out by 8:30. Enjoy!

There really is no need to stay over in Lahaina trust me we've done it twice. The car rentals have lots of maps ask the attendant to draw you a route. But the route is made up of maybe 1 left 1 right turn and your highway straight to Lahaina which is approx 24 miles

and maybe 40 to 45 min. drive and lots to see in Lahaina.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Pacific Whale Foundation is less than 10 miles approx 15 min. very easy drive. There is parking near the cruise terminal but it will be filled by the time you back from OLL. There also parking a stones throw away and if they charge it's no more than $20 or it may even be in a mall and free I just never used it. You can ask your shuttle driver to show you where to park.

While on Pacific Whale Foundation right across the street is the Maui Ocean Center and it gets great reviews, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get your monies worth out of car rental

Another note is i assuming your going into the town of Lahaina if so the day drive along the coast is beautiful and lots of stops you can pull as there so many kodak moments. it's also a very simple drive back after the luau but it will be dark for pics.

You'll enjoy the luau the food is great and it's organized so they lead you up table by table and they have two lines to serve from, drinks are good and not watered down but be care drinking and driving. You can expect to be out by 8:30. Enjoy!

There really is no need to stay over in Lahaina trust me we've done it twice. The car rentals have lots of maps ask the attendant to draw you a route. But the route is made up of maybe 1 left 1 right turn and your highway straight to Lahaina which is approx 24 miles

and maybe 40 to 45 min. drive and lots to see in Lahaina.

This is great information! So the Pacific Whale Foundation is only about 15 min drive from Kahului cruise port? If so that is much better than I thought. We can save the money and stay on the ship!

I don't think the Old Lahaina Luau is near the Kahuli port - correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like the ship docks on the opposite side of the island - the OLL is near Lahaina.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.......

You are correct that the OLL is in Lahaina and the OP's ship will be docked in Kahului.

If the OP's tour with Pacific Whale Foundation starts in Maalaea on the morning after they go to the OLL, it would be closer/faster to drive from Kahului to Maalaea than from Lahaina to Maalaea.

Pacific Whale Foundation does have some tours that leave from Lahaina, but I think that the tour that the OP is taking goes from Maalaea.