Cagney's and Le Bistro - what do you recommend?

jeepgirlroo

6 days till I'm on breakaway and I basically can't think about anything else! Looking for the more experienced cruisers to recommend some things I can't miss at Cagney's and Le Bistro.

I've been to both once on PoA but I wasn't eating meat then so I got lobster at both places - now I'm a carnivore :)

What are the best apps/sides/entrees?

I'm actually not really a dessert person but if something is outstanding I would definitely try it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have yet to go to Cagney's for dinner, I'd probably go with sliders as starter, strip steak for main course and definitely the Raspberry creme brulee for dessert.

Cut of meat is a matter of preference but the creme brulee is to die for and I've heard praises for the sliders too.

We love pretty much everything on the menu at Le Bistro, and eat there at least twice during a typical week, sometimes three or four times!. We keep going back to the escargot (not overly garlicked like many places do), the lamb chops, I love the salad with smoked duck, hubby loves the cornets, lately ive been hooked on the extra cost butter poached lobster, and the mussels (the Pernod broth is to die for!) are probably my all-time favorite thing - I never miss them. We aren't much for dessert, so usually have two appetizers and one entree each.

We haven't done Cagney's in a while. Our other go-to specialty is Moderno - always fantastic but always too much food!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

While I have yet to go to Cagney's for dinner, I'd probably go with sliders as starter, strip steak for main course and definitely the Raspberry creme brulee for dessert.

Cut of meat is a matter of preference but the creme brulee is to die for and I've heard praises for the sliders too.

Ah I was wondering about the sliders - so they are actually better then the O'Sheehan's/buffet burgers? Good to know :)

We love pretty much everything on the menu at Le Bistro, and eat there at least twice during a typical week, sometimes three or four times!. We keep going back to the escargot (not overly garlicked like many places do), the lamb chops, I love the salad with smoked duck, hubby loves the cornets, lately ive been hooked on the extra cost butter poached lobster, and the mussels (the Pernod broth is to die for!) are probably my all-time favorite thing - I never miss them. We aren't much for dessert, so usually have two appetizers and one entree each.

We haven't done Cagney's in a while. Our other go-to specialty is Moderno - always fantastic but always too much food!

Robin

We are going to moderno too just figured I don't have to worry about what to order there :)

I am a bit of a mussel snob so I wasn't sure about ordering them glad to hear they are good I think I'll go for that :)

That lobster is great I had it last time hoping to try something different now - have you ever had the coq au vin?

6 days till I'm on breakaway and I basically can't think about anything else! Looking for the more experienced cruisers to recommend some things I can't miss at Cagney's and Le Bistro.

I've been to both once on PoA but I wasn't eating meat then so I got lobster at both places - now I'm a carnivore :)

What are the best apps/sides/entrees?

I'm actually not really a dessert person but if something is outstanding I would definitely try it :)

My Favorite at Cagney's is the lump crab salad , 10 oz bison strip and the raspberry crème brule

at the Bistro is the gratine a l'oignon , duo de canard and the carre d'agneau rotis (I always get both) and to top off with the chocolate fondue

try this site on

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

scroll down to the speciality restaurant and click on the restaurant name for the menu

Ah I was wondering about the sliders - so they are actually better then the O'Sheehan's/buffet burgers? Good to know :)

Aren't the sliders made from Wagyu beef? Like I said, haven't been in a couple years (new menu) but if they're decent Wagyu, I bet they are amazing!! Would love to just get those sometime, and enjoy every juicy, dripping bite!

As for the mussels and Coq Au Vin at Le Bistro - yes, the mussels are fabulous.. We get excellent mussels here but I have yet to be able to duplicate that fabulous broth. Hubby won't let my "bucket" leave the table until he has sopped up most of the broth with every piece of available bread he can find. It's beautifully balanced - rich without being overly so, flavored delightfully (although it can be a bit salty sometimes). I'm not a chicken fan, but hubby orders the Coq Au Vin often and loves it. They used to have a foie gras stuffed airline chicken breast on the menu - and I got it almost EVERY SINGLE TIME - it was that good (turned a non-chicken eater into one). Too bad that's gone, it was unbelievable!

Robin

My Favorite at Cagney's is the lump crab salad , 10 oz bison strip and the raspberry crème brule

at the Bistro is the gratine a l'oignon , duo de canard and the carre d'agneau rotis (I always get both) and to top off with the chocolate fondue

try this site on

scroll down to the speciality restaurant and click on the restaurant name for the menu

Oh yes I've been checking out the menus on that site which is why I have no clue what to order everything sounds good :)

Glad to hear the duck is good. I love duck confit! Their French onion soup was amazing last time.

Yep, from the menu:

Wagyu Beef Sliders* CARAMELIZED RED ONIONS | APPLE & CELERY SLAW

try this site on

I'd rather guide anyone to read the current speciality restaurant menus from NCL site where they are in a lot smaller files and easier to read than the photographed ones at that site.

The speciality restaurant menus are the same fleetwide, but if someone definitely wants to see ones that might have Breakaway in their filename, just go here:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/onboard/eat#tab_detail

If some speciality restaurant doesn't have "sample" menu listed, just try another ship by changing the ship name in the URL above.

Edited by Demonyte

Oh no! Not the Cagneys vs Le Bistro debate again :)

I love Cagneys and the beef is very good. I did not care for the filet in Le Bistro that was covered in sauce. So if you are looking for a good steak, I vote Cagneys. But if you are looking for duck, lamb, or something else, I would vote Le Bistro.

If you are on a budget, I would vote Le Bistro since there is a $10 difference between cover charges.

Yep, from the menu:

Wagyu Beef Sliders* CARAMELIZED RED ONIONS | APPLE & CELERY SLAW

I'd rather guide anyone to read the current speciality restaurant menus from NCL site where they are in a lot smaller files and easier to read than the photographed ones at that site.

The speciality restaurant menus are the same fleetwide, but if someone definitely wants to see ones that might have Breakaway in their filename, just go here:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/onboard/eat#tab_detail

If some speciality restaurant doesn't have "sample" menu listed, just try another ship by changing the ship name in the URL above.

I agree the ncl site is more accurate

did anybody noticed on the Gateway site for the Cagney's they have the old menu

http://www5.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/onboard/eat#tab_detail

Is it possible?

Oh no! Not the Cagneys vs Le Bistro debate again :)

I love Cagneys and the beef is very good. I did not care for the filet in Le Bistro that was covered in sauce. So if you are looking for a good steak, I vote Cagneys. But if you are looking for duck, lamb, or something else, I would vote Le Bistro.

If you are on a budget, I would vote Le Bistro since there is a $10 difference between cover charges.

Oh no I am not debating I am going to both ;)

Just wanted to see what was a "can't miss" for both :)

If it has to be either/or I'm not sure what to say. Reviews have been very even on both -- (almost all positive on both). But if you can swing it, why not do both???

I do recall many years ago, on the Norway, when Freestyle was first started, I went to Le Bistro. I still think that was the best filet mignon I have ever had and although some won't believe me because this is the internet and there's no way to prove it, but: I grew up in 5 star hotels and restaurants and later, when I became a successful adult, continued ...

I am something of an idealist and purist. For me, the "ultimate dining package" is: filet mignon with REAL bearnaise...not that packaged junk.. and no silly wine butter or whatever.....sides don't matter as long as these two are on the menu. Once I have a favorite, it's hard to change. I just made my reservation for Le Bistro on myncl.com and paid for it in advance because I thought better not take a chance that it might get sold out.

I am hearing lots of nice things about Cagneys' so I will probably book that onboard, if its available for Friday night on my sailing.

Ate at Cagney's twice this past week and Le Bistro once. The Baked Potato soup at Cagney's was to die for and the sliders and chicken wings were also very good. I always eat filet when I go to a steak house and had the 5oz filet at Cagney's both times. Followed it up with the brownie and I was happy.

At Le Bistro I had the french onion soup (obvi) and the filet de bouef. Unfortunately I couldn't finish my meal (or even really start it) because I was ill that night. I did have a few bites of the filet and it was amazing, sauce and all! :cool:

We didn't do Le Bistro on our cruise on the Spirit, but Cagneys was amazing. I loved the 10oz Filet Mignon with a Gorgonzola crust, served rare (even thought is was a sauce not a crust, it was still amazing), the truffle fries and Orzo pasta as sides were lovely too....then the Oreo cheesecake....wow, I could hardly walk out of that place when I had finished!! :)

• 1 year later...
Aren't the sliders made from Wagyu beef?

I went on the Norwegian Gem cruise in October 2013 to the Caribbean and I got the Wagyu beef sliders twice. I asked for medium both times, but the second time they came out closer to well done and didn't taste as good that way, IMO. They were amazing the first time. But I've just read an article now in 2015 an article from 2014 (http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/01/07/the-new-truth-about-kobe-beef-2/) that apparently "Wagyu beef" can mean a number of things given the US doesn't recognize the trademarks from Japan so a lot of places use "fake" naming. It would seem that the Wagyu beef cattle breeds were exported at one point to Australia and the US, but a lot of the breeds have been diluted with US cattle breeds since then, so the gist is that the Wagyu beef on the Norwegian Gem is probably most certainly a US breed and how "pure" it is to the original pure-bread Japanese cattle, I couldn't possibly even venture a guess. I had a "Wagyu Beef" burger at Cowbow Ciao in Scottsdale, AZ in 2009 and they said it was from a US Wagyu cattle source, but again, I have no idea how pure it was after reading this article, but it was a darn fine tasting hamburger.

Regardless, the Wagyu sliders on the Gem in 2013 were delicious (caramelized onions and barbecue sauce topping if I remember correctly). I had that as an appetizer before a rack of lamb the first visit and Chilean Sea Bass the second visit (very small portion on the latter and frankly it wasn't that special tasting; I had a much better version in California in 2009 at a Japanese/French restaurant in Redondo Beach at the pier, but it had some kind of Teriyaki glaze on it.). The rack of lamb (medium rare) was excellent, though.

Edited by VonMagnum

You must have the mushroom soup at Le Bistro. I would have NEVER ordered mushroom soup at a restaurant anywhere, but based on advice from CC I tried it. It is spectacular.

I love french cuisine so Le Bistro is always a struggle for me. It is so hard to choose. I wish they had a tasting menu, like in many french restaurants, where you get six to eight small courses to enjoy. Add wine pairings and the dinner becomes an experience.

You must have the mushroom soup at Le Bistro. I would have NEVER ordered mushroom soup at a restaurant anywhere, but based on advice from CC I tried it. It is spectacular.

I love french cuisine so Le Bistro is always a struggle for me. It is so hard to choose. I wish they had a tasting menu, like in many french restaurants, where you get six to eight small courses to enjoy. Add wine pairings and the dinner becomes an experience.

I had the duo of duck there the one night (awesome; I love duck) and the bouillabaisse the second visit (simply excellent seafood). Oddly, I can't recall the appetizers I had offhand (think it might have been the escargot), but I do know that I tried almost every dessert (I think the waiter was laughing because I ordered like three desserts plus the cheese plate, but I don't regret it; they were excellent). Plus I had a bottle of wine so I was a happy camper afterwards (but full). The second visit I think I just got one or two desserts. Again, I don't recall the appetizer (French Onion Soup maybe?)

I'm always surprised when someone asks for a recommendation and then the first person who basically answers "I haven't had it myself BUT". This is quite popular on the cc boards. Everyone has an opinion but I believe OP was asking for the best meals. How can you measure the best if you haven't had it?