where to get passports?

If you need a passport photo and you have AAA, you can get the photo for free.

Depending on your AAA region, you MAY get free passport photos. In our region (Mid-Atlantic), they're discounted. We checked with several offices in our area. $8 per person.

Just an FYI, we got caught by it.

Most counties do them at the courthouse. Some DMV's do it

Depends on the state. At least around here, none of the counties or DMV's do it. You have to go to the post office.

We are AAA Plus members and live in the Pittsburgh area and still had to pay an $8.00 fee for photos.:(

Interesting...I have only been AAA Plus, so I didn't know you had to be AAA Plus, but, I never thought the benefits would be different depending on the club. I am Southern New England.

We are AAA Plus members and live in the Pittsburgh area and still had to pay an $8.00 fee for photos.:(

According to AAA's website, passport photos are free to AAA Plus members, it doesn't say except for Pittsburgh area. You should go ask for a refund.

Call your county Court House, Ask them what kind of documentation you will need to get a passport and ask what the fee will be, then Go to your county court house fill out the forms have your picture taken then wait about two weeks for your new passport to be mailed to you.

Tillie

36_1_68.gif

Navigator 10-29-05

If you are a Costco member you can get passport photos taken for $4.99 per person.

As stated some post offices do passport applications and renewals. The local library around here does it as well.

I too have never heard of 3rd parties doing passports...

We went to the county clerks office here as the post office tends to be difficult due to the crazy hours for passports. They have one fellow who handles them and it only took a few minutes.

If you need a passport photo and you have AAA, you can get the photo for free.

Todays modern printers will print 2X2 Passport pictures, Just follow the guildlines and print away. My portable HP Photosmart 375 prints them.

I work at a Post Office that processes passport and we have Saturday hours for passports. I usually process between 30-60 passports on Saturday.

You would only use a third party "hand carry" if you were leaving in less than 2 weeks and could not apply in person at a passport agency. Even with a hand carry you still have to apply in person at a passport acceptance facility and then you would get back a sealed envelope that must be presented intact to the passport agency within 5 days or it is invalid. The third parties are not able to look at your information. You pay anywhere from an extra $100-$150 for them to do this for you on top of the expedited passport fee.

Also routine passports can take up to two weeks and expedited ( an extra $60.00 per person) usually takes about 2 weeks.

Passports are about $90.00. They are vaild for 10 years. You can get passport photos at AAA, but I am pretty sure that each club has different prices for them. Your local AAA office most likely has applications, and can direct you to the closest passport processing agency, which are mostly larger post offices.

Whereever you have to go, just get it done NOW before the rush hits! Remember all cruse passengers will have to have them, meaning a lot of waiting till the last minute, so even if you need them next spring I would suggest going now, before the wait gets too long!

All the information you will need you can find at the following website: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

You can fill out the forms online and print them at home. There are different prices for children. There are specific requirements for passport pictures as well. I just had mine taken at WalMart; they were $10.95. I was able to renew my passport by mail and it was $67.

Hope that helps.

The link posted above is full of information for obtaining passports. On the left side of the page, click on "minors under the age 14". Just read it very carefully in regards to the documentation that you will need to bring for your children. I'm in the process of renewing my two & wasn't aware of the new requirements. For instance, I had to "present Evidence of Child's Relationship to Parents/Guardians (for minors under age 14)". I brought certified birth certificates for each child. Both parents that are listed on the birth certificate had to be present at the time when the application is submitted, with their proper ID. (If both parent's/legal guardians aren't able to be there, there are instructions as to how to handle that on the website).

Good luck!

Archived