best place to get passports

CCJack

I thought the only place where you could get a passport was from a passport office. And these offices are usually located at a post office. I think a passport costs around $100, but it is good for 10 years, plus you have to get your passport pictures taken. (I had my passport picture taken at like CVS, Eckerd for like $6 for the two pictures). Hope this helps! :D

You have to apply in person for the first one.

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

If you go to a passport agency, you may need an appointment:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

Once you have one, the easiest way to renew for me has been mail order from the National Passport Center:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

we got ours at the Post Office. Did it on a Sunday and got them back in 3 weeks. Some of the Post Offices around here even make appointments for late hours. It was painless. The last time we got them, we had to go tp the County Clerk's office which was a real pain. Mine I renewed by mail. The ones we had to get were for the kids. They had to be present for the application.

Most of the offices around us are only open during normal work hours which made it tough for us to get there. While we were on vacation we went to a local post office and applied on a Wednesday. Just so happens the guy who took our applications is going on a cruise and didn't even know he would need a passport. He told us it would be 4 to 6 weeks before we would receive the passports. We got them in the mail 9 days after we applied.

I went to my local post office (which also took the photos) had it back in a week - yes, I did the expedited service - only reason I did it is that I will be traveling to London (yes, a little bit nervous about that) a week after I return from cruise.

While I was at the Post Office, the gentlement who did the passports advised me that as of January 1st 2006 the rates are going to go up - his words - way up!!

I had my 1st passport about 4 years ago. Photo taken at a photo lab that takes passport photos and turned the paper work in to the county clerks office. It took around 4 and a half weeks to get it. Hope this helps. Cost was $110.00 with county clerk fee of $35.00. :cool:

We got ours last year (hubby was a renewal, but my daughters and I were new) and it took the full six weeks for them to arrive. Call your local post office -- the hours for getting a passport are not the same as for the normal post office hours. Also, both parents have to be present for getting the passport for the children -- both signatures are required if there is joint custody. If you need a passport quickly, you'll have to go to a center. DH had to do this years ago for a quick business trip to Europe and it cost a fortune!

I do have to say, having traveled with the kids to Mexico before passport and after passport, things were so much easier with our passports, particularly since my last name is not the same as my children. We always had a great deal of "discussion" regarding our names, particularly after 9/11 and flying under orange alerts.

Hi All,

I have a quick question about the difference in prices that I am seeing. I hope that someone can verify this for me. Looks like if you go to the Post Office, or any other passport office, the fee is $85, but, if you print the application off the Department of State's website (Form DS 82) , and mail it in yourself, you pay only $67.

Am I understanding this correctly? I have to renew before mine expires in March of next year, and I definitely don't want to screw it up!

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. Have a great week ahead!

Cathy

My wife and I got ours at our local libary. I printed the application off of Carnival's web site.

We did ours in May and they told us it would take 6 weeks but we got ours in four.

Also when you make your appointment to go for your passport they do have an expedite service and will process your passport within three days of receipt at a passport agency. The additional fee for exedited service is $60. All that information is on your application when you print it.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Carnival Miracle 2004

RCCL Voyager Of The Seas 2005

Carnival Valor 2005

We just did our passports and these are the fees. Adult passports are $67.00 plus $30.00 to the processing office. Total of $97.00. Passports for children under age 16 are $52.00 plus the $30.00 processing fee. Adult passports are good for 10 years while kids are only good for 5. Passport photos vary depending on where you get them. They did them at the post office for $15.00 but we had ours taken at Walgreens for $7.99. I think our local WalMart does them for$11.99. You can do them yourself if you follow the specs on the applications. The head shot must be a certain size. I previous poster said both parents must be there when you apply for childrens passports. This is only true for younger children but I don't remember what age. My kids are 14 and 16 and I went alone with them but there was a dad with a girl about 10 years old that came in right after us and they were turned away. You can find this info on the application. I just don't remember what age kids could be and NOT have both parents there.

Hi All,

I have a quick question about the difference in prices that I am seeing. I hope that someone can verify this for me. Looks like if you go to the Post Office, or any other passport office, the fee is $85, but, if you print the application off the Department of State's website (Form DS 82) , and mail it in yourself, you pay only $67.

Am I understanding this correctly? I have to renew before mine expires in March of next year, and I definitely don't want to screw it up!

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. Have a great week ahead!

Cathy

I am of the understanding YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON for your passport, be it at the Post Office (only certain ones do it and of those only certain days and times), or at the County Pronothory Office. They can also be had at the State Department and some Federal Offices. The State Department Web site will tell you exactly where and when you can apply. Can't help with the price difference. I did pics at Walgreens.

effective July 2, 2001:

to submit an application for a child under the age of 14 both parents or the child's legal guardian(s) must appear and present the following:

* Evidence of the child's U.S. citizenship.

* Evidence of the child's relationship to parents/guardian(s) AND

* Parental identification

If only one parent appears you must also submit one of the following:

* Second parent's notorized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child.

* Primary evidence of sole authority to apply OR

* A written statement (made under penalty of perjury) explaining the second parent's unavailability.

As directed by regulation 22 cfr 51 effective February 1, 2004:

Each minor child applying for a passport shall apply in person.

Hope this helps

A~:)

We just did our passports and these are the fees. Adult passports are $67.00 plus $30.00 to the processing office. Total of $97.00. Passports for children under age 16 are $52.00 plus the $30.00 processing fee.

I believe the prices may vary by state. I live in Iowa and I paid exactly the same $97.00. When I downloaded the PDF file form from http://travel.state.gov and on one of the pages it states the fees and total amount. It stated the above quote.

I believe the prices may vary by state. I live in Iowa and I paid exactly the same $97.00. When I downloaded the PDF file form from http://travel.state.gov and on one of the pages it states the fees and total amount. It stated the above quote.

The Federal Government sets the fee so there is no variation by state.

I dont think there is a cheapest way.

Most get it done at the post office, I got mine at the county recorders office, I went there because I also didnt have an official copy of my birth certificate. Warning they will not accept your hospital certificate, has to be a copy of the county officical one.

The adventage to the recorders office is I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Things you need, that you might not know off the top of your head.

Mother and Fathers birthday and place of birth, city and state.

Address of emergency contact, probably shold not be wife or husband as they will likely be traveling with you.

Take a checkbook, they usually wont take cash or credit cards for passports, check or money order, however different places may handle that differently.

Bext thing you can do is download the from and have it filled out ahead of time.. fill it all out.

KNow you mothers middle name? Fathers? you need that too :D

Wow the variance of rates is shocking. I went to the post office back in August of 2001 and it was only $65, and there were NO processing fees (it is included in the price of the passport, along with mailing it to you). It sounds like to me some of you are going to 3rd party vendors who are charging the bucks for providing a service. I did it here in Florida maybe other states charge more, but I would think it would be standard pricing as it is a FEDERAL document. I suspect some of you going through state agencies are paying for their "labor" try a post office first or a federal office.

Wow the variance of rates is shocking. I went to the post office back in August of 2001 and it was only $65, and there were NO processing fees (it is included in the price of the passport, along with mailing it to you). It sounds like to me some of you are going to 3rd party vendors who are charging the bucks for providing a service. I did it here in Florida maybe other states charge more, but I would think it would be standard pricing as it is a FEDERAL document. I suspect some of you going through state agencies are paying for their "labor" try a post office first or a federal office.

Rates have gone up since 2001, there is a processing fee at the Post Office. The prices that the person quoted were from the post office and NOT a 3rd party vendor. All these rates are available online at

http://www.usps.com/passport/

Rates have gone up since 2001, there is a processing fee at the Post Office. The prices that the person quoted were from the post office and NOT a 3rd party vendor. All these rates are available online at

http://www.usps.com/passport/

Passport Fees (Effective March 8, 2005)

Routine Services (Form DS-11)* Non-Refundable

Passport ServicePassport Fee*Execution Fee*Total FeesAge 16 and over

$67

$30

$97

Under Age 16

$52

$30

$82

*Note: Fees must be paid separately. Passport fees are paid to the Department of State by check or money order. Execution fees are paid to USPS® in cash, money order, check, debit or credit card.

Expedited Service - Add $60 for each application

Archived