COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

I, for one, am looking forward to using the rear pool. If I want to swim laps, I will go elsewhere (the main pool or the Retreat pool). I loved the Retreat pool on the Royal Princess. However, on the Grand Class ships, I also loved sitting on a deck chair overlooking the wake of the ship. Now I will have the best of both worlds. Can't wait for the Regal! (And I have to wait until January...)

The language on PRINCESS.COM is misleading.

A 41 Square Foot = SF balcony is not SPACIOUS by comparison of industry standards.

This equates to 12' wide X 3.2' deep![/color][/b]

Coolplex, I have cruised on many Princess Grand class ships (Grand, Crown, Sapphire, Ruby, etc.) and have been fortunate to sail on their mini-suites (one exception in Alaska when the minis were sold out). The minis nominally have a 9' x 7' balcony which I found delightful. I have spent many hours on these balconies enjoying the view and sea ambiance. On the Alaska trip I had a Caribe deck cabin and that balcony was even larger, about 9' x 9'. The scenery there was majestic. There are 350+ cabins on these ships with balconies 9 x 7 or larger. The other balconies are 9 x 5, still a decent size. So if you like balconies I highly recommend these ships and cabins.

The Royal/Regal designers for some reason decided to cut the size of the balconies and change the furniture style. I was on the Royal in March and had a Deluxe Balcony Cabin. As sknight posted below, essentially all Balcony, Deluxe Balcony and Mini-Suite cabins on the Royal are listed as 41 sq. ft. and ostensibly are 9' x 4'. I don't know how Princess gets 41 sq. ft. out of these balconies. My wife carries a small key chain tape measure in her bag and I used it to measure our balcony. From the outer frame of the sliding glass door to the inside of the railing, what I consider the usable area, our balcony measured 3' 7" deep. I did not measure the width so I cannot give you a footage. The sliding glass door is wide (nice view from the inside) and it spans most of the balcony but not all. If I had measured from one of the corners (where the sliding glass door does not travel) to the outermost point on the balcony floor (what protrudes the most) the dimension would be larger of course, likely 4' as is nominally reported. I wish I had measured this also but I would be surprised if it is 4.56 feet which is the depth necessary to equate to the 41 sq. ft. Princess lists, assuming a 9' wide balcony. Regardless, the chairs are mostly in front of the sliding glass door and that depth is less than 4', door to railing.

Here is a picture taken by another poster showing a balcony:

Cruise - March 2014

As I mentioned, I booked minis on the Crowns and while the extra space and couch are nice I did so primarily because of the 9 x 7 balconies. On the Royal/Regal I would be hard pressed to book a mini since their balconies are the same size as a deluxe or regular balcony cabin (some exceptions here and there).

I offer these comments as "information" only, primarily for future cruisers. Everyone can make their own conclusion whether the balconies are small, large, or good enough for them.

This rear pool area looks nice with lounge chairs in both sun and shade, and wicker seating under cover. I expect it will be very popular and difficult to get a seat.

Regarding Coolplex's posting, excluding full suites, most balconies on the Royal and Regal are 9'x4'+ which equates to just about 41 Sq. Ft. A small percentage are larger by not being rectangular in shape. Balconies on Grand Class ships are normally 9'x5', 9'x7' or 9'x9' depending on location. Again some are different.

Ethel5, I don't think anyone is actually complaining about the Regal's pool. They are just comments about the pool and are happy to see the improvement. However, what people did comment about when the Royal came out was Princess' misunderstanding of the design features that are important to many Princess Customers, and how Princess executives could have missed these issues in the design phase is puzzling to many, including me.

sknight, I couldn't agree more. I think the aft pool on the Regal is a big improvement even though it might be small. I also expect it to be very popular assuming they have resolved the soot issue. A seat there will be coveted.

Regarding the "complaints", I wrote a letter to Jan Swartz, the President of PCL, outlining my concerns about the Royal. A week or so latter I received a call from a staff person in her office to thank me and discuss the concerns. She stated that letters like mine and post cruise surveys provide very valuable feedback to Princess and allows them make changes as necessary. I know she was being politically correct but the core of her message was valid, I have no doubt. That being the case, I like you am puzzled how Princess missed the issues in the design phase.

Regarding balcony size. The "standard" balcony size on the NCL Breakaway is 31-35 sq. ft. Even many of the mini-suites have the same small balcony size. It is not just a Princess or CCL design. Will be interested to see if the same follows for other new builds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think this was covered in Dave's Royal thread, but the balcony size is most likely constrained by the ship's size. To make the balconies bigger, the ship would have had to have been wider, which means added cost, more tonnage, larger engines, etc...

I think this was covered in Dave's Royal thread, but the balcony size is most likely constrained by the ship's size. To make the balconies bigger, the ship would have had to have been wider, which means added cost, more tonnage, larger engines, etc...

As balconies are open deck space, the Gross Tonnage of the ship will in fact not be affected to the extent of the increase in balcony size. Wider, cost etc are all valid though.

Just being pedantic….. :D

Edited by lake5298

As balconies are open deck space, the Gross Tonnage of the ship will in fact not be affected to the extent of the increase in balcony size. Wider, cost etc are all valid though.

I am being pedantic also.... :)

From the cabin I had I could see at least 6-8 feet between the railing of my balcony to the starboard edge of the ship. As an engineer it seems to me that adding a couple of feet to the balconies would not require the beam of the ship to be any larger. It would add some weight but not much as balcony floors are not very heavy. I read a post where someone indicated that the reduced balcony size was on account of the designers wanting a sleek narrow profile. I grant that the Royal has a sleeker narrower look than the Grands.

As IECalCruiser said above it will be interested to see if the same design follows for other new builds. No crystal ball here but I sure hope they add more footage.

True enough, but I was alluding to the ship's beam becoming wider, thus affecting the gross tonnage.

I am being pedantic also.... :)

From the cabin I had I could see at least 6-8 feet between the railing of my balcony to the starboard edge of the ship. As an engineer it seems to me that adding a couple of feet to the balconies would not require the beam of the ship to be any larger. It would add some weight but not much as balcony floors are not very heavy. I read a post where someone indicated that the reduced balcony size was on account of the designers wanting a sleek narrow profile. I grant that the Royal has a sleeker narrower look than the Grands.

As IECalCruiser said above it will be interested to see if the same design follows for other new builds. No crystal ball here but I sure hope they add more footage.

Well, (and I'm NOT an engineer ;)) I don't think it's quite as easy as tacking on a extra foot or so of balcony. Doing so would entail pushing the lifeboats out farther (I don't think they can be covered anymore...) and I'm sure there is some regulation on how far they can overhang the side of the ship, so that would entail widening the hull... ipso facto...:)

Regarding balcony size. The "standard" balcony size on the NCL Breakaway is 31-35 sq. ft. Even many of the mini-suites have the same small balcony size. It is not just a Princess or CCL design. Will be interested to see if the same follows for other new builds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Regarding the Norwegian Breakaway, WOW 31-35 sq. ft.!!! That is more like a veranda than a balcony. I suppose it would be good enough to stand on the edge and look out but not much of a place to sit if at all. I cruised on NCL several times during the 80s but have not been a fan of them for a long time now - for sure I will not be on the Breakaway.

Well, (and I'm NOT an engineer ;)) I don't think it's quite as easy as tacking on a extra foot or so of balcony. Doing so would entail pushing the lifeboats out farther (I don't think they can be covered anymore...) and I'm sure there is some regulation on how far they can overhang the side of the ship, so that would entail widening the hull... ipso facto...:)

As you said, it is likely not easy and no doubt it would come with trade-offs...

There was a picture of the NCL Breakaway on CC, don't know which thread, showing that the Breakaway lifeboats will be sticking out substantially further than on the Royal/Regal. That design did not look as pretty or sleek but I would trade a less sleek design for a foot or two of balcony if this were possible. The Breakaway balconies are even smaller so I don't know what they did with the space - these days it may be more WOW factor inside and less sea oriented cruising...

Also I recall a picture on CC of the next Holland American design, the Pinnacle Class I think, which is scheduled to launch on 2016. The picture showed a wrap-around promenade deck and large balconies like those of the Grands. If I find the picture I will post a link or perhaps someone else knows where it is in here. This design may be of more relevance as it is a CCL sister ship.

Here is a link to the thread that shows the Breakaway and Holland America ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014470

Page 1, post #4 shows the Holland America design. This is just a design drawing which obviously could change prior to completion.

Page 3, post #48 shows the Breakaway's life boats, particularly the second picture on that post.

People complained about issues on the Royal and Princess listened. Now the people are still complaining that the pool is too small, the promenade deck, while improved, still doesn't connect. They are still complaining about no center stairs and the size of the balconies. What else people? It is very hard to change major issues after a ship is nearly completed. If these issues are of major concern, then find another ship!

Thank you! Well said and I agree with you! I know that we, as human beings, tend to bitch about virtually everything! That's our nature. But there is another option......if it bugs you, don't do it!! Stay home! Unclog a ship someone else would like to enjoy! :p

People complained about issues on the Royal and Princess listened. Now the people are still complaining that the pool is too small, the promenade deck, while improved, still doesn't connect. They are still complaining about no center stairs and the size of the balconies. What else people? It is very hard to change major issues after a ship is nearly completed. If these issues are of major concern, then find another ship!

I quite agree! I mean I think it is neat that each ship has its own flare and identity. The Sapphire has that wonderful covered pool that others dont, but you know what on a cooler day I just found somewhere else to sit and read on ships that didn't have it. I just came back from a very warm W Carib cruise on CP and I can tell you that No One was swimming side to side in that aft pool. All the adults just stood or held on to the side (rocking) to keep afloat. It was used more like a hangout to sit in the water and chill. I am excited about the changes and a new ship design. The only thing I think is odd is the way the front is designed...sorta looks like the RCL ships, but I can still see the nice princess lines on her! The "whats next" is will people start to complain that not all ships have Alfredo's?? My thoughts are I am on vacay and I am sure there will a spot for me to chill and relax or join in on the cruise games and fun. :D

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Thank you! Well said and I agree with you! I know that we, as human beings, tend to bitch about virtually everything! That's our nature. But there is another option......if it bugs you, don't do it!! Stay home! Unclog a ship someone else would like to enjoy! :p

I quite agree! I mean I think it is neat that each ship has its own flare and identity. The Sapphire has that wonderful covered pool that others dont, but you know what on a cooler day I just found somewhere else to sit and read on ships that didn't have it. I just came back from a very warm W Carib cruise on CP and I can tell you that No One was swimming side to side in that aft pool. All the adults just stood or held on to the side (rocking) to keep afloat. It was used more like a hangout to sit in the water and chill. I am excited about the changes and a new ship design. The only thing I think is odd is the way the front is designed...sorta looks like the RCL ships, but I can still see the nice princess lines on her! The "whats next" is will people start to complain that not all ships have Alfredo's?? My thoughts are I am on vacay and I am sure there will a spot for me to chill and relax or join in on the cruise games and fun. :D

I always have to stop and think that there are people who don't have jobs, children go to bed hungry, people have dreaded diseases and I'm on a cruise.....what's to complain about?

15 Days until Regal Princess is officially handed over at Monfalcone (May 15, 2014)

16 Days until her 4-night Pre-inaugural from Trieste (May 16, 2014)

20 Days until she arrives in Venice for her Maiden Voyage (May 20, 2014)

190 Days until the inaugural US arrival in Fort Lauderdale (Nov. 6, 2014)

263 Days until she is reunited with her sister Royal Princess (Jan. 18, 2015)

15 Days until Regal Princess is officially handed over at Monfalcone (May 15, 2014)

The Regal docks in FLL November 3, 2014. :)

187 Days until the inaugural US arrival in Fort Lauderdale (Nov. 3, 2014)

I believe Sam hawker Thomas is going over to the Regal as cd and asst cd is Adam currently on the Emerad

I had heard too that Ron Goodman was going to be the CD initally on Regal Princess. But if Sam is going, that would be nice. Really, really like Sam. She is a truly wonderful Cruise Director.

Sam (on the right) at our M&G on Royal Princess

11490151205_0277b3891a.jpg

How many days until they annouce who will christen the ship?

Edited by caribill