Izumi dinner cover charge - eliminated or not?

LMaxwell

I have read some reports from recent live blogs that Izumi dinner cover charge has been eliminated. I don't know if this was only for certain ships or certain itineraries.

Can anyone that has sailed since, say, Feb 1 2014, report in as to what ship they were on and if there was or was not a dinner cover charge for Izumi. Thanks.

So I called RCI and was told that basically dining can be altered by management depending on how well it is selling and that it's not a new policy to not have a cover, but it could happen. I didn't want to call back and get any other answers. I will find out first hand in a few days anyways and report back for the benefit of others.

As I reported a week ago, our dinner at Izumi had no cover, the wait person said it has been done away with, at least on Navigator. Loved that meal! And boy was it reasonable, my chicken hot rock was only $16, my sushi roll $8.

Edited by BecciBoo

As I reported a week ago, our dinner at Izumi had no cover, the wait person said it has been done away with, at least on Navigator. Loved that meal! And boy was it reasonable, my chicken hot rock was only $16, my sushi roll $8.

Thank you; I knew I had read that but could not remember who or what ship. Glad that you had no cover and enjoyed the meal. I'll report in 2 weeks from the Legend and hopefully discover the same situation.

I guess the cover + a la carte pricing was dissuading people from trying out the food?

Leaving on the Oasis in August. Just checked specialty dining and went through the process till the end where it requested $10 pp ..guess I'll just have to wait till we are on the ship to see it they charge. When we were on in October they said it was a "service charge" . I was told they would subtract that $10 ea from the bill and only bill the remainder..they billed for both..Had to go to guest services to get it removed. The people at the table next to us were told the same thing..and also had to go to guest services..since they were billed for the full amt plus the "service charge"..not going to chance it this time.

I have prepaid for a dining package on our next cruise and part of that is $20pp for Izumi. So the real question is whether $5 of that goes to the cover and $15 to food, or no cover and $20 to food. Charging a cover and then a la carte pricing sort of rubs me the wrong way; I don't mind either or, but both seems a little tacky. The amount is low enough that it's not going to prevent me from enjoying myself, just the way I feel about certain things in life, not specifically towards RCI.

I have prepaid for a dining package on our next cruise and part of that is $20pp for Izumi. So the real question is whether $5 of that goes to the cover and $15 to food, or no cover and $20 to food. Charging a cover and then a la carte pricing sort of rubs me the wrong way; I don't mind either or, but both seems a little tacky. The amount is low enough that it's not going to prevent me from enjoying myself, just the way I feel about certain things in life, not specifically towards RCI.

My understanding is that $5 goes to the cover and you only have $15 left for the food.

We were on the Legend a few weeks back and ate in Izumi. I had prebooked from home. The $10 that we paid per person was deducted from our bill. We did not have to ask for it. the waiter explained the process to us before we even ordered. We both really enjoyed the food... I had the chicken hot rock and my husband had sushi. We would visit Izumi again.

We don't make reservations pre-cruise and have dined in specialty restaurants previously on other cruises.

Do you think we will have difficulties dining in Izumi when reserving while onboard the Legend?

Thank you.

We were on Legend for 13 days last year and Izumi never seemed that crowded.

Our experience with eating at Izumi when it was part of our Dining Package was that the $5.00 was subtracted from the $20 charge, and we had $15.00pp or $30 total to use towards our meal.

Edited by cruisenfever

We love our Japanese food. Many, many restaurants in our area, and each seems to have a different fun "gimmick". I haven't tried hot rock cooking yet so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks everyone for the input. My best guess is maybe they had no cover on Navigator because it was a new roll out. Not a big deal in the grand scheme; definitely excited to try Izumi.