Sailing out of San Juan questions

Greetings! We are a family of 5 sailing out of San Juan in a month (yay!!). I am curious, as I read about the pier and the process:

Do and can we keep our carry-on bags with us? If so, should we still put a ship luggage tag on them?

The large bags get checked curbside as we get out of the taxi, or are we responsible for getting all bags to the ship?

Will they allow us to check a sealed case of water?

For those who have left from San Juan, what is the earliest they start to let people on the ship?...our Set Sail Pass says boarding between 1-7:00pm...but I have read that some people have boarded earlier (like 11:00am).

Thank you for your advice and information. It is hard to be a newbie when the stakes are so high! ;)

We have sailed out of San Juan many times, one of my favorite ports.

We have always kept our carry on with us. No need to tag them. Checked luggage was taken right after we got out of the taxi, the driver has always dropped us off close by. We have usually arrived around 11:30 and checkin has begun shortly afterwards. After checkin we have had to wait to board. We are usually in the WJ having lunch around 12:30/1:00.

Can't say about the water, never taken any on board.

Enjoy your cruise, it's a great place to start a cruise from.

We left out of San Juan last month. As previously noted, keep carrying-ons with you. The porters did not take the bags as we got out of the taxi as they do at other ports. We had to stand in a long line for about 30 mins and hand the bags to the porters. Then go into another line to enter the terminal. It was strange and not very efficient. However, it made checkin a breeze because there were not 1000 people in the checkin lines.

You can take as much waster, juice and soda on board as you want. I specifically asked that question at checkin. Put a luggage/room tag on the case of water and it will be delivered to your room with your luggage.

Have fun!

The luggage you drop at the curb is delivered to your stateroom - but it may take close to dinnertime to arrive there.

You can keep your "carry-ons" with you - and we always do. We bought wheeled totes for just that reason. You'll keep it with you at least until the cabins are ready.

In that carry-on keep all your meds, tickets etc, important papers. We also keep any valuables and electronics (like tablets) in them as well.

Some folks bring swim wear in case they want to go in the pool before the cabins are ready.

Also, check with your cell phone provider before you go but - we have Verizon and since Puerto Rico is a United States territory our cell phones worked just like they do on the mainland US with no extra charges.

You'll have a GREAT TIME - :)

We've sailed out of San Juan some 10 times and we enjoy because we usually cruise in Feb. and on arrival the temps are in the 80's. On an average, we're on the ship by 12:15-30pm with our carry on's. The cabins are usually available by 1pm. On our recent Allure cruise, we were surprised that cabins were available by 12:15pm. This is amazing considering that there are 5k+ passengers.

I appreciate all of the replies!

It sure makes this adventure a LOT easier when I am able to ask those who have BTDT!! I had heard a few conflicting opinions on the case of water, so I plan on trying it...knowing that it is not a huge deal if they do not allow it.

I am hoping to stop at a store on the way to the pier and get my two bottles of wine, case of water and any last minute items that we may have forgotten.

Thanks for all of the input!

I appreciate all of the replies!

It sure makes this adventure a LOT easier when I am able to ask those who have BTDT!! I had heard a few conflicting opinions on the case of water, so I plan on trying it...knowing that it is not a huge deal if they do not allow it.

I am hoping to stop at a store on the way to the pier and get my two bottles of wine, case of water and any last minute items that we may have forgotten.

Thanks for all of the input!

There's a thread that implies that these Pax's were able to bring aboard a case of water and what they did was wrap in plastic and process thru the x-ray scanner in the boarding process. For confirm you should post another thread with just the water caption. Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

San Juan has two luggage areas. The first at the taxi (recommend you take a taxi) stop is for Diamond and above, the second is at the end of a 200 foot queue. Over all it's not too bad if you get there early.

Nothing is ever definite at RCI, but I saw luggage tag labeled cases of water on our Jewel cruise in December.

Enjoy your cruise.

We arrived by taxi in SJ at 1045, and there was no line to check in. Also, boarding had already started, and we walked straight onto the ship!

It was wonderful in the Windjammer; No problem at all finding a table.

(FOS in October)

Aloha,

John