Smoking pot on a cruise?

toocrowded

This is probably the unpopular stance on this subject, but it's soley my opinion so here it goes.

Even if a person does smell the herbal scent. What's the big deal on just walking by and letting it be ? To each his own. I seriously doubt that anyone bringing a little herbal-essance onto the ship is going to be trying to deal it. I'm quite sure the amount would be minimal and they are not going to want to sell or share. Their stash is golden.

I may be flamed by this, but like the songs says, Just walk on by and Let it be. MYOB. It may be illegal, but how is it directly affecting you ?

If your standing close enough to smell it, the worst that could happen would be and extra trip or two to the buffet. There are better things to do on the ship then try to directly police others.

BTW: my above opinion is for on the ship, that is, if one is successful in getting their herbs on. I would never buy or try to bring any herb products on or off the ship in a port of call.

Cari H.

I read your statement but I have a question....What about the stated rules? Are they not in place for all passengers? Is it a gold star reward for somebody to secretively break this rule or any other rule? Don't know why the rest of us should walk by or "turn the other cheek". That would be my personal opinion.

I for one am deathly allergic to it. It affects my respiratory system....If its being smoked in the next cabin and finds it smell into mine, there could be a big issue...To each their own but why should I have to have a medical issue because someone sneaked some weed on?????

I for one am deathly allergic to it. It affects my respiratory system....If its being smoked in the next cabin and finds it smell into mine, there could be a big issue...To each their own but why should I have to have a medical issue because someone sneaked some weed on?????

Just out of curiosity, are you also allergic to cigarette or cigar smoke as well? Or is it just some compound in the marijuana?

Just out of curiosity, are you also allergic to cigarette or cigar smoke as well? Or is it just some compound in the marijuana?

Some cigar smoke can affect me not all of them tho, same with cigarettes but Marijuana for some reason will shut me down....If I handle it or come in contact with it, It causes huge hives which can put me in anaphylactic shock.

We smelled pot on our last cruise leaving Jamaica. The smell was very strong in our cabin, I assume coming thru vents. We did call guest services, not because I'm a prude, but because I didn't want our steward to think it was us, the smell was that strong. They sent security to our room and they stood there sniffing and left. I don't know what ever came of it.

I would suggest not to smoke in your cabin at a minimum, it will definitely spread to those around you.

We were on one cruise where someone smoking up a storm. You not only could smell it, you could see it in the hallway and you could smell it all the way to the balconies. We opened our door as some kids were walking by and the were laughing it was so bad. We called and reported it. The smell was so bad it was coming into the other cabins. We didn't think it was all that funny for a 1 YO, 2 YO and 4 YO to have to sleep smelling it.

Next night same thing. We called security again. We went down to the Pursers Desk next. Eventually they came up and realized how bad it was. They searched 10 cabins left and 10 cabins right on both sides of our cabins looking for it. We didn't see the results because we went to dinner. We were, however, smoke free the rest of the cruise.

Seriously, with the b*tching and complaining about smokers on these board - which is legal - I'm surprised so many of you think it fine. So you'd turn them in for smoking tobacco but not MJ? Really!

Edited by notentirelynormal

for everything that gets said about bringing stuff like electric fans, extension cords, curling irons and of course liquor, my wife and i have brought them all and, with the exception of alcohol, will again, but there are three things that we consider absolutely off the list; weapons, explosives and illegal drugs. i have handled firearms and explosives for most of my life and won't even bring a bag that once had some in it for fear the dogs will hit on it. drugs are bad, mkay? the only thing worse than finding myself in a hospital in a third world country would be landing in jail there. you think the u.s. legal system is corrupt?

On the 26 ships I have managed for 11 different cruise lines, the standard procedure is just about the same.

When we get drug complaints from passengers or reports from cabin stewards, (and we receive them every week) we send Security to the cabin in question.

If the occupants hand over the substance to security, the officer takes it to the incinerator room and disposes of it. Case closed.

If there is any difficulty of any kind, we contact the authorities in the next port and request that they come onboard to investigate.

Most of the countries we visit have very serious penalties for importing drugs into their countries. About once a month we "lose" a passenger or two who go off in handcuffs, never to be seen again. Case closed.

This is pretty much how I have seen it "go down" over the years.

As an aside: the article referenced in the OP is a pretty nasty piece of work. full of invective and ad homs on passengers and the fact that the writer was onboard a Disney ship that caters to families with children, makes it even more distasteful.

Not "everyone" is smoking weed these days. And not "everyone" is 420 friendly. Not "everyone" thinks its okay. I find it annoying, and I find "high behaviour" less than amusing. And before I take a beating from the promoters: i don't like drunks either. I certainly don't want to be in a lifeboat, in a bad situation, with someone who is under the influence of anything. I couldn't give a rats behind what anyone does at home. But once they are in the public sphere, that makes it everyone's business. And my safety, certainly IS my business.

If I even *think* that another passenger has brought this on board, I will report them to security. And have done in the past.

What's next? Heroin parties on open decks? Gimme a break.

It amazes me how this discussion has diverged and digressed from the original question. The person asked about smoking pot ON the cruise ship. That's all.

Really? The responses have been all about how risky it is to even try to bring on drugs. To me, the OP sounds like either a pot-smoker (either figuratively or literally:rolleyes:) or a teenager who really doesn't understand the facts of life, such as how those caught with drugs are treated in some other countries. (and yes, I have a teenager)

I don't care to have enter a cabin (or hotel room) to have it stinky from tobacco, and I certainly wouldn't care to have it smelling like pot.

If you do plan on using marijuana on your cruise ship, maybe consider a cruise to Alaska in 2015 or 2016. It will be completely legal in Washington state and probably Alaska by then, and it is already de facto legal in British Columbia. Or, bake yourself some cookies and it will probably be a non-issue. That said, everything people have said about it being federally illegal remains technically true, although it's hard to imagine customs going too far out of their way to nab someone for a personal stash with a street/retail value below $50.

Edited by azlefty

This is probably the unpopular stance on this subject, but it's soley my opinion so here it goes.

Even if a person does smell the herbal scent. What's the big deal on just walking by and letting it be ? To each his own. I seriously doubt that anyone bringing a little herbal-essance onto the ship is going to be trying to deal it. I'm quite sure the amount would be minimal and they are not going to want to sell or share. Their stash is golden.

I may be flamed by this, but like the songs says, Just walk on by and Let it be. MYOB. It may be illegal, but how is it directly affecting you ?

If your standing close enough to smell it, the worst that could happen would be and extra trip or two to the buffet. There are better things to do on the ship then try to directly police others.

BTW: my above opinion is for on the ship, that is, if one is successful in getting their herbs on. I would never buy or try to bring any herb products on or off the ship in a port of call.

Cari H.

A bit more of "the big picture" might be helpful here. Please bear in mind that I have no problems with people smoking pot - but just not on my ship please.

First is the ventilation.

Cruise ship cabins are arranged in groups of 3's and 4's for electrical connections and ventilation. That is, they all share the power and the air. Whatever you might be smoking in your cabin ends up in 2 or 3 others. Your neighbors might not appreciate that.

As a fire safety precaution, the air pressure in your cabin is slightly higher than the air pressure outside your cabin. In a fire emergency, this causes flame and smoke to move away from your cabin rather than toward it.

When there is not a fire emergency, this over-pressure air in your cabin causes any smoke inside to vent out to the corridor. Your neighbors might not appreciate that.

The Captain of a ship is largely (and legally) responsible for nearly everything that takes place on his ship. In many countries we visit, the local authorities don't have much of a sense of humor about his responsibilities.

Some of the countries we visit are actually looking for reasons to give us trouble.

If it can be somehow proven that a ship Captain knowingly allowed passengers to bring illegal drugs into a country, he could be arrested and lose his license, the ship could be impounded, and we all end up on CNN.

There is just too much at stake here.

We really don't care if a passenger is willing to risk his career, his freedom, or his life in order to get high.

We just don't want him risking ours.

This is pretty much how I have seen it "go down" over the years.

As an aside: the article referenced in the OP is a pretty nasty piece of work. full of invective and ad homs on passengers and the fact that the writer was onboard a Disney ship that caters to families with children, makes it even more distasteful.

Not "everyone" is smoking weed these days. And not "everyone" is 420 friendly. Not "everyone" thinks its okay. I find it annoying, and I find "high behaviour" less than amusing. And before I take a beating from the promoters: i don't like drunks either. I certainly don't want to be in a lifeboat, in a bad situation, with someone who is under the influence of anything. I couldn't give a rats behind what anyone does at home. But once they are in the public sphere, that makes it everyone's business. And my safety, certainly IS my business.

If I even *think* that another passenger has brought this on board, I will report them to security. And have done in the past.

What's next? Heroin parties on open decks? Gimme a break.

Seriously? Over-react much?

If you do plan on using marijuana on your cruise ship, maybe consider a cruise to Alaska in 2015 or 2016. It will be completely legal in Washington state and probably Alaska by then, and it is already de facto legal in British Columbia. Or, bake yourself some cookies and it will probably be a non-issue. That said, everything people have said about it being federally illegal remains technically true, although it's hard to imagine customs going too far out of their way to nab someone for a personal stash with a street/retail value below $50.

What in the world are you basing this on? Alaska is a very Red state and the prospect of legalizing pot isn't even being discussed.

Have you been there, they won't even give alcohol to people without ID-or people who are with people who don't have ID. There are tons of towns that are completely dry...

Regardless, I'm still of the belief that the only cruise with pot is a cruise out of Denver. :p

It amazes me how this discussion has diverged and digressed from the original question. The person asked about smoking pot ON the cruise ship. That's all.

Not really- in order to smoke it ON the cruise ship one must first manage to be able to bet it on the cruise ship and if one doesn't consume all they brought one must then be able to get it off the ship. If someone can't refrain from this behavior for the mere length of a cruise then they just might have a problem.

I know people who walk on a cruise ship with it in Florida(no flights involved) and smoke all of it and leave the ship without it. Now with the vaporizers, the smell is almost undetectable. I'm now advocating it, but people do it all the time and as long as they aren't stupid enough to try to get it on board in a foreign port or return to the US with it...they have no problem!!

A bit more of "the big picture" might be helpful here. Please bear in mind that I have no problems with people smoking pot - but just not on my ship please.

Cruise ship cabins are arranged in groups of 3's and 4's for electrical connections and ventilation. That is, they all share the power and the air. Whatever you might be smoking in your cabin ends up in 2 or 3 others. Your neighbors might not appreciate that.

Each cabin is stand alone in terms of air recirculation. The cabin actually has a lower air pressure since the bathroom has an air intake that sucks the foul air from there outside. The air to make up that loss of air comes from the hallway under the door.

But in terms of the article linked in the first post, I have an issue with people who need some sort of chemical in order to deal with life. I have always wondered about people who need to drink a lot or smoke something in order to just survive like the article linked. Why?

It does not matter though since a long as you are on the ship, you must follow the cruise line rules. If they prohibit it, then it is not allowed no matter if it is allowed in the waters of the state you are next to.

So even on a Denver based cruise (A cruise ship with wheels??) it would be illegal.

As a fire safety precaution, the air pressure in your cabin is slightly higher than the air pressure outside your cabin. In a fire emergency, this causes flame and smoke to move away from your cabin rather than toward it.

When there is not a fire emergency, this over-pressure air in your cabin causes any smoke inside to vent out to the corridor. Your neighbors might not appreciate that.

The Captain of a ship is largely (and legally) responsible for nearly everything that takes place on his ship. In many countries we visit, the local authorities don't have much of a sense of humor about his responsibilities.

Some of the countries we visit are actually looking for reasons to give us trouble.

If it can be somehow proven that a ship Captain knowingly allowed passengers to bring illegal drugs into a country, he could be arrested and lose his license, the ship could be impounded, and we all end up on CNN.

There is just too much at stake here.

We really don't care if a passenger is willing to risk his career, his freedom, or his life in order to get high.

We just don't want him risking ours.

You do have a very good point. I suppose that I was just voicing my opinion based on being the type of person to MYOB.

:)

Very possible that it was when we were both on the same sailing of the Majesty. Saw it also on the Zenith, which we did a number of times to Bermuda. Almost every trip on the Zenith, we went home with a couple less passengers than we arrived with. They had a few extra days in Bermuda and had to fly home on their own dime.

LOL probably...

Sid

Seriously? Over-react much?

Tell me about it. This is a no winning argument for anybody on the "pro pot" side of things. Yet cruise lines give passengers a green light to buy their overpriced alcohol packages which have been more than proven to be more harmful and more destructive than marijuana could ever be. Of course thats ok for everybody's small kids to watch adults make complete fools of themselves in a drunken state. God heaven forbid they watch somebody smoke a joint though . . . our children.

And then we get to compare marijuana to heroin . . . what a joke.

Eventually marijuana will be legal in all states because local governments will have found proper ways to profit off of it and we may one day see weed lounges on board just like we see Cigar rooms.

Until then, lets continue to throw a proven medical supplement like marijuana into the same group as crack, heroin, angel dust, acid, ecstacy and whatever else because it hasn't been legalized in every state . . . yet.

Edited by kdawg954
  • Like 1

As far as the OP is concerned. I'd just leave it at home man. It isn't allowed and the consequences aren't worth it. Trust me, I've smelt it on every cruise I have been on and I can imagine a good puff puff would be amazing before dinner or just as a late night relaxer . . . but I have never risked it and never will.

Just the idea of being sent down to "cruise jail" and to be left on the next port of call to deal with their legal system is not a thought I care to entertain. Sure I could imagine cruise lines would want to avoid that and probably use that in extreme measures . . . but I wouldn't risk it, personally.

Edited by kdawg954