Celebrity port shuttle bus in Europe with wheelchair/scooter

Tubasop

Where ships dock at industrial ports in Europe, how do you get from the ship to the nearest town? Is the shuttle bus do-able if you can tackle a couple of steps and your scooter/wheelchair folds down. We are on Celebrity in Sept visiting Le Havre, La Rochelle, Bilbao and Vigo and any insight as to what you've done at these ports would be great. Not really thinking of doing excursions as such, other than the very local area, but at some of these ports you are not allowed to be on "foot" as such and must use the shuttle bus.

Thanks

Sounds like you could be on the Infinity wine cruise but I may be wrong.

Le Havre is quite a long walk into the city centre but doable. We were on the Infinity in September and sadly Celebrity were the only cruise line who didn't provide a shuttle bus. Princess and MSC were in port on the same day and both lines provided shuttles which incidentally were free. Usually its $10 with Celebrity. However, there were some taxis at the port who I am sure would only be too happy to take you. Vigo parks in the Town Centre so you wouldn't require any transport at all to make it to the city centre, but beware it is quite hilly and you would probably be better turning left once off the ship, walk along the front and then turn right where you will find its not so steep. You will know when you get to the centre. Bilbao, free shuttle bus takes you to the port gates. Once there, you can either walk straight ahead (200 metres) turn left and pick up the tram which will whisk you into the centre of Bilbao. Cheap, quick and easy. Alternatively the HOHO bus is waiting at the port gates and will take you into and all around the City for something like Euros18.

Although I have been, La Rochelle is not uppermost in my mind at present, but I will think about it and post later.

Hi yoj13

Yes we are on Infinity on 8th Sept. If there are taxi's as you get off the ship then it'll be great, but I had read that at some of the ports taxi's were only available at the entrance of the port and not allowed at the ship. Vigo sounds simple, thanks for that info....if you do remember about La Rochelle that will be great as well.

Hi

I have now remembered La Rochelle!!! Actually, it turned out to be a pretty disastrous visit and well you might say how could I forget? The ship is too large to dock in town and berths quite a way from the centre. However, there is a chargeable shuttle on offer by Celebrity and something like $20 pp is ringing a bell. There should have been a public service bus operational but sadly for us, the drivers were on strike and most of the taxi drivers were supporting them so taxis were in very short supply and of course, the queue was very long and at this stage we returned to the ship. People said it took about 20 minutes to get to the centre so you will perfectly OK should nothing untoward happen with the public transport or indeed if you opt to pay Celebrity. The public bus will be much cheaper than Celebrity's shuttle and of course all transport these days cater for scooters, wheelchairs etc., so I would say you have nothing to worry about at all. I have cruised a lot and for a long time and it is my opinion, that cruiselines go out of their way to help those less able.