PR vs balcony

Previously we have always stayed in oceanview (no balcony) or family oceanview rooms.

We are currently booked in a PR, however with price drops I could swap to a balcony. I know for many its a no brainer but we are torn. I chose a PR space based on max people watching appeal :-)

We both spend a lot of time on the water on boats and boards, and we are lucky enough to live a lifestyle due to my husbands job that always has us in a coastal location so we do have plenty of ocean watching opportunities. We certainly LIKE salt air and ocean views, but it isn't something we lack in other words.

Are we crazy if we don't take the balcony upgrade? Will we really get to enjoy much watching of the promenade from a 7th floor PR? Are there any unforeseen pitfalls we should be aware of?

Is climate control more or less of an issue in one room vs the other?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Having stayed in both, and love both people watching and sea watching I will say one thing - we are never in our room enough to justify the expense of either. The only time either got used was when one or the other was getting ready for the day or for dinner. We would rather sit where we can do both at the same time, which is at the pool.

I would go for a PR over an oceanview even if it was slightly more expensive. PR v. Balcony depends on the itinerary. The last cruise I was in the PR for had 9 sea days in total and anyone on the Port side would have only seen the ocean on those days. In Alaska however a balcony is the way to go.

We just had the same dilemma for out Nov. cruise on the Liberty of the Seas. There are 6 of us and DH really wanted balcony rooms but the price was $1100 more, so we booked the PR rooms. The NEXT day, he say that the balcony rooms had dropped $1000, so for only $100 more, we switched to two connecting balcony rooms. They're bigger and we can keep an eye on all of the kids this way.

To your other question, climate control is the same for either room but obviously when the door to the balcony is open the outside air can enter the room. Typically you wouldn't leave the door open and primarily would use it to go in and out to the balcony as there is also a pressure issue that when the balcony door is open the stateroom door may slam hard when closed.

But balconies are very nice IMO, especially at night and when coming into or departing port.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Love the PR rooms ( have had 3 of them) but if I could get a balcony for the same price would have to go with the balcony. Love morning coffee on the balcony watching the sunrise and the ship pulling into ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Love the PR rooms ( have had 3 of them) but if I could get a balcony for the same price would have to go with the balcony. Love morning coffee on the balcony watching the sunrise and the ship pulling into ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This! We will be in our 1st PR cabin on our next cruise. We love the balcony for our Caribbean cruises. But, have opted to save a lot of money with the PR in NE?Canada cruise.

For $100 I would definitely switch to a balcony.

I loved the PR cabin I had on my Voyager cruise. It was much more spacious than a normal inside cabin, and actually felt a lot like being in a land-based hotel in a small city with the big window over the Promenade. There was some decent people watching, and the sitting area right on the window is great for enjoying a room service breakfast before starting the day.

That being said, while I can have an amazing cruise without a private balcony... when I do have one, it takes it to a new level (IMHO). As fun as having your coffee watching people milling about below you, it's like a dream sitting on your private little outdoor space with the sounds, smells, and sights of the ocean or bay. The balcony cabins also give you just that much more room (including the few square feet of the balcony itself), especially if the price drop is on a D cabin (Superior Balcony).

For me, if the prices were equal, I would choose the balcony every time. I would take a PR over an OV, and definitely over an inside (even for a higher rate), but I am a balcony lover, even if I only spend a 2-3 waking hours/day in my cabin.

I actually was looking to book my honeymoon cruise on the Adventure because it was one of the only ships with an itinerary we liked during the small window we could travel and had PR cabins. It just so happened that the D2's were not selling well, and the C&A balcony discount was applicable for that class as well, making them significantly less expensive than PR cabins. For me, it wasn't even a question. I jumped and booked my balcony the next morning.

Guest maddycat

PR cabins offer you many people watching opportunities. However, you are also on display. If you want any privacy, you must close your drapes.

I would go for the balcony. I love having the wall of glass with a balcony. The cabin appears much larger and it is definitely brighter. You can walk out on your balcony when ever you want.......get some fresh air, check out the weather, sit and relax in your own private space.

If because of price drops, the balcony costs the same as the PR, I would no doubt take the balcony.

If there is a fee to upgrade, no thanks :) Loved my PR cabin on Freedom and I truly am only in a cabin to shower change clothes and sleep. Probably less than 7 hours in a 24 hour period.