!! I Cringe at my fellow travellers !!

lee101224

While I was in college I was a server. As you know, we live for tips as the hourly salary was about $1.50. It saddens me that if you can afford $1000 for a cruise, you can't spend just a little bit more to make people happy. I can almost say with certainty that "these" people are the most demanding on the ship too; get me this, I want that, this is terrible......If there was a legitimate reason then I could see, but that is not the case here I can assure you.

You can't fix ignorant! :confused::mad::(

Sorry to hear your friends do not understand the importance of tips to the staff. I have seen hard working cruise staff in tears when they were denied their tips just before Christmas on TA's.

What you might do is quietly model the correct gratefulness to staff.

For instance' date=' let your friends SEE you handing a dollar or two in US currency to bar staff and/or waiters in the Windjammer. When they notice that a waiter runs across the dining room to help you and calls you by name.... the point will be gracefully made. Remember, you are responsible for your actions and attitudes - not theirs!.

Let me share a story: My Scottish grandfather used to tell me stories of the sea and sailings by ship.

On his first passage from the UK to New York on a Cunard ship, an older friend told him: "Willie, to ensure good service, tip your stateroom attendant and dining staff well on the first night with the words: I want you to have this now, just in case I miss seeing you at the end of the sailing." You must believe, he always had GREAT onboard service.

Here's another way to show your friends your own gratefulness:

On a Canada New England cruise, I handed my stateroom attendant some blue and purple Canadian cash before arriving in the port of Halifax. I told her it was the correct currency for Canada and it would be enough for some shopping or a meal and drinks in port. She was delighted and showed me a Tshirt she bought! She said I will remember you when I wear it.

Don't stress your friends attitude. If it is their first cruise, just model a different sort of behaviour without lecturing them. Good luck!! Have a wonderful cruise!![/quote']

this is a candidate for "post of the year".

Interesting that many people posting about booking the new ship - Anthem of the Seas - have reported that they have not been given the choice. Pre-paying tips was mandatory. In our case, it matters not, we always pre-pay anyway. I hesitate to suggest that RCCI are going down this road without causing uproar and before anyone suggests that this only applies in the UK - some posters are from the US. It appears that at this point they are only offering Mytime dining and that is the reason for this change. I do wonder though if pre-paying was a condition of booking any cruise, if people would just accept it. I know that a lot of people believe that pre-paying takes away the personal touch and also want to use OBC for tips. My one complaint is that the cruise lines persist in showing prices minus tips and then people are shocked when they realise that the cruise price is not xxxx but xxxx+. We have never had the tips removed but I can sort of understand why some people do.

So that brings up an interesting question, that I honestly don't know the answer to. We leave the automatic gratuities in place, and tip extra personally where we feel they deserve it. So do all those personally-delivered tips have to be reported and split up, as JYD says, or do the recipients get to keep them?

The question is hard to answer since it depends on the cruise line and in some cases, where the person is working within the cruise line.

The comment from the previous poster that they have to share the money is not necessarily true, again, it depends on the cruiseline.

I think if they just charged the extra $12/day and paid it to the staff and didn't call it prepaid gratuities (but just made it part of the fare) people would likely not notice at all. In fact, most people would then tip because they are used to doing it. I can't imagine most people would even notice $12/day more in the fare since they go up and down so much. For a typical 7 day cruise that would only be an $84 difference per person.

I think, like me, some people are bothered by the terminology more than the amounts. We always do MTD so prepay because of that and so far that's worked for us.

Tom

Interesting that many people posting about booking the new ship - Anthem of the Seas - have reported that they have not been given the choice. Pre-paying tips was mandatory. In our case, it matters not, we always pre-pay anyway. I hesitate to suggest that RCCI are going down this road without causing uproar and before anyone suggests that this only applies in the UK - some posters are from the US. It appears that at this point they are only offering Mytime dining and that is the reason for this change. I do wonder though if pre-paying was a condition of booking any cruise, if people would just accept it. I know that a lot of people believe that pre-paying takes away the personal touch and also want to use OBC for tips. My one complaint is that the cruise lines persist in showing prices minus tips and then people are shocked when they realise that the cruise price is not xxxx but xxxx+. We have never had the tips removed but I can sort of understand why some people do.

The question is hard to answer since it depends on the cruise line and in some cases, where the person is working within the cruise line.

The comment from the previous poster that they have to share the money is not necessarily true, again, it depends on the cruiseline.

Don, not sure if the previous poster you refer was me. I did post about cash having to be pooled. If so, I was not referring to anything over and above the normal tip but to giving cash INSTEAD of leaving the auto tips on. I have read many times that crew are allowed to keep any extra tips. I certainly hope so.

Don, not sure if the previous poster you refer was me. I did post about cash having to be pooled. If so, I was not referring to anything over and above the normal tip but to giving cash INSTEAD of leaving the auto tips on. I have read many times that crew are allowed to keep any extra tips. I certainly hope so.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I was referring way back to post #8.

I suspect this is a new overall policy throughout the cruise line as I noticed the gratuities were automatically put our accounts on our last cruise in November 2014 on Legend of the Seas (through the Panama canal to San Diego. Durint a cruise the two weeks preceeding we did a TA on Vision, we had prepaid gratutities so I don't know when this new policy actually started.

I am actually glad to pre-pay our gratuities. That way we don't have to think about it. It's already done. We always tip our room steward over and above on day one, because we do truly appreciate his/her service. We want them to know that on day 1. I think it's unthinkable to remove auto gratuities. Knowing me, I'd have a hard time being gracious to travel mates I know have stiffed the staff.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Aussies and have been on 2 cruises now where gratuities were not added to our account. The first was part of a leg of a round the world cruise with P&O which we took from the USA to Australia and the second was a South Pacific cruise from Australia. As it was based out of Australia, Carnival did not add them to our accounts as Aussies are not used to tipping. I don't know if they include it it the price or not. Wouldn't it be so much easier if they just added it to the cost and no one would be the wiser and if you wanted to give extra then you could.

Tipping baffles me!

We have a no tipping culture and I know that when I have travelled in America I have over-tipped some and failed to tip others that I should have. It's not meanness - it's simply that I get a bit lost and it all becomes one more difficult thing I have to think about and calculate.

This is why I appreciate the auto-gratuity! Now I don't have to think about it! I just pay the fee (which in my cruise cost spreadsheet I simply include with the base price) and know it's going where it needs to go without me having to do anything more than sign my bill.

Well, as an American I will admit to also being "baffled" by cruise ship "tipping." As a long time cruiser (for about forty years) we think the cruise lines have created a real "monster" in the name of simply marketing lower prices. At one time, tipping on ships was true tipping in that you directly gave money (a tip or gratuity) to various crew members who provided you a direct service. This was keeping with the culture of the US and made sense.

But now, with all the alternative dining options, cabin steward "teams" as opposed to a single cabin steward, etc. it just does not make a lot of sense to continue this so-called "tipping" thing on ships. In fact, with auto tips it is not really a tip but rather a hidden price increase to the cost of the cruise. The Auto tips (on most cruise lines) actually go into a large tipping pool which is then distributed to the crew according to the cruise line's own secret formula. This means that those auto tips do not go directly into the pocket of those who provided the cruiser with direct service, but is simply divided up among the "whole" with part of it going to people you have never even met. While some cruisers think this is fine we have often wondered how many folks leave tips for the dishwasher in a restaurant, or the laundry service that launders the table cloths.

The ultra luxury cruise lines have avoided the tipping hassle by simply having a true "no tipping policy" and paying their crew out of the proceeds of the cruise fare. But the mass market lines prefer to "market" lower fares rather then use a more honest system. Life would be simpler if they simply increased cruise fares by $15.00 per passenger day and had a policy of absolutely no tips.

Hank

Well, as an American I will admit to also being "baffled" by cruise ship "tipping." As a long time cruiser (for about forty years) we think the cruise lines have created a real "monster" in the name of simply marketing lower prices. At one time, tipping on ships was true tipping in that you directly gave money (a tip or gratuity) to various crew members who provided you a direct service. This was keeping with the culture of the US and made sense.

But now, with all the alternative dining options, cabin steward "teams" as opposed to a single cabin steward, etc. it just does not make a lot of sense to continue this so-called "tipping" thing on ships. In fact, with auto tips it is not really a tip but rather a hidden price increase to the cost of the cruise. The Auto tips (on most cruise lines) actually go into a large tipping pool which is then distributed to the crew according to the cruise line's own secret formula. This means that those auto tips do not go directly into the pocket of those who provided the cruiser with direct service, but is simply divided up among the "whole" with part of it going to people you have never even met. While some cruisers think this is fine we have often wondered how many folks leave tips for the dishwasher in a restaurant, or the laundry service that launders the table cloths.

The ultra luxury cruise lines have avoided the tipping hassle by simply having a true "no tipping policy" and paying their crew out of the proceeds of the cruise fare. But the mass market lines prefer to "market" lower fares rather then use a more honest system. Life would be simpler if they simply increased cruise fares by $15.00 per passenger day and had a policy of absolutely no tips.

Hank

In almost all American restaurants the waiter has to "tip out" others working at the restaurant including hostesses, bus boys and kitchen staff. Seems like this is exactly the same as what happens on cruise ships.

Sorry, had missed this before. Here again is the quote straight from RCI:

Now look carefully at the parts I bolded, and particularly the red parts - and answer this question:

Can you modify your gratuity during your cruise, or are you required to do so before you depart your cruise? :)

While I agree that it could have been written in a much more clear manner, I believe they are saying that you must modify your tips before you depart (leave) your cruise (ship) and not call them from home later.

I am actually glad to pre-pay our gratuities. That way we don't have to think about it. It's already done. We always tip our room steward over and above on day one, because we do truly appreciate his/her service. We want them to know that on day 1. I think it's unthinkable to remove auto gratuities. Knowing me, I'd have a hard time being gracious to travel mates I know have stiffed the staff.

Bravo Karen!

I love tipping well on the first day! It works well - especially on TA's - would love to cruise with you someday....however we avoid the P ships -as I had a nasty case of food poisoning (in a Specialty Restaurant )on our first and only p-ship. I

I think people may occasionally become ill on a holiday - but for the cruise line not to follow up on a restaurant issue means no one cares! That's a marketing oops.

Nancy - a nurse from Canada!

Sorry, had missed this before. Here again is the quote straight from RCI:

Now look carefully at the parts I bolded, and particularly the red parts - and answer this question:

Can you modify your gratuity during your cruise, or are you required to do so before you depart your cruise? :)

As a newbie, I read before you depart as before you leave the boat. I would have expected the verbiage to say before your cruise begins if it was the beginning. As in... During or before you leave the ship, not 3 weeks later when the charges show up.

On our last cruise, I was also amazed at the number of passengers with whom we chatted, that said they were going to remove the Hotel Service Charge.

We just include that in the cost of cruising and add for any service that is "above and beyond". So if the crew are just doing what is required in their job, we don't give anything extra.

Tipping baffles me!

We have a no tipping culture and I know that when I have travelled in America I have over-tipped some and failed to tip others that I should have. It's not meanness - it's simply that I get a bit lost and it all becomes one more difficult thing I have to think about and calculate.

This is why I appreciate the auto-gratuity! Now I don't have to think about it! I just pay the fee (which in my cruise cost spreadsheet I simply include with the base price) and know it's going where it needs to go without me having to do anything more than sign my bill.

To all of the others out there, I will apologize in advance for being off topic here.

Kate, just wanted to say that seeing your beautiful country and your Aussie neighbors is on my bucket list. If I had the extra funds, would love to book one of the AU/NZ cruises - granted I wouldn't see everything there is to see, but would be able to maximize a limited time frame!

OK, please resume the regularly scheduled thread now....

Back on topic, I also think that the tips should simply be added to the cost of the cruise and just pay these workers decent wages, but I might also venture to guess that by doing so, it may increase the tax liability of the cruise line, possibly? I honestly don't know if the cruise line pays taxes on the gratuity amounts they collect and re-distribute as income, or if they act as a "broker" or "middle-man" per se, and collect a percentage of the amounts received. I have no idea how their behind the scenes accounting works.....

My guess is that the cruise lines don't include the gratuities as part of the fare in part so they can advertise a lower fare, or if it is to reduce or avoid some sort of taxation.

I am another one that would prefer to have an all in price. I don't know what the average percent is of those that cancel the auto tip and don't pay in cash is, but with some not paying anything, those that do pay are overpaying to make up the shortfall that history has taught the cruise lines will be there on average.

Instead of having 90% or so pay $12, it would work out the same and be fairer to add $11 daily to the fare.

To all of the others out there, I will apologize in advance for being off topic here.

Kate, just wanted to say that seeing your beautiful country and your Aussie neighbors is on my bucket list. If I had the extra funds, would love to book one of the AU/NZ cruises - granted I wouldn't see everything there is to see, but would be able to maximize a limited time frame!

OK, please resume the regularly scheduled thread now....

I haven't done one of the NZ cruises use of yet but it's an efficient way to see a good chunk of the country. Just be aware that some of the most spectacular parts of the country are inland - Queenstown must not be missed!

Interestingly, in the more 'touristy' parts of NZ we are starting to see tips creeping in. On our recent holiday to Queenstown over summer we noticed a Gratuities line on the bill at most places we dined and there is often a 'tipping jar' on the counter at cafés. I think this must be to accommodate overseas tourists who are used to tipping, because it's certainly not part of our culture.

Minimum wage here is $14.25 per hour.