Brewers Bay Beach

cruzingduo

We are interested in going to Brewers Bay, specifically to collect shells.

We will be on the Explorer of the Seas docked in Havensight next week. How far is this beach?

How much will the cab ride be?

Do they have bathrooms? I know there isn't a restaurant, but they do have food trucks.

Looking for any feedback and advice.

Shells are illegal if taken from Virgin Islands beaches, and there are very few shells at any of the beaches, but there is usually some seaglass at Brewers.

It's not too far from Havensight, but you would need to take a taxi and ask the driver to return at a designated time.

Brewers is located on the other side of Lindbergh Bay and the airport within walking distance of the University of the Virgin Islands campus, just a bit of a taxi ride. Looks like you're there on a Thurs which is better than a weekend day. There are normally food trucks selling a variety of foods.

No facilities but a nice little beach and should be quiet.

Ms411 thanks for the info. We were at Saphire beach earlier this month and the fellow that rented us our chairs said if you are looking for shells or sea glass to go to Brewers bay. I always look for little shells as a souvenier and love to collect sea glass, so I thought we'd try Brewers bay the next time we went to St Thomas.

From what you said I am not sure we would feel comfortable there.

I am not sure what "local beach" implies. John Brewer's is part of the University of the Virgin Islands. Local people do come out in the morning to "bathe" in the water. Sea water is believed to have special healing properties by the local people. They are very welcoming. Because it is public, a bath house was constructed. The folks who run the food vans are delightful. There are some people who feel that their dogs deserve time on a beach although it is not legal. I really doubt if Ms 411 saw stray dogs.

Trust me. I saw stray dogs, and decided against taking pictures at the beach that day. I have been posting for years, and have never posted what I have not experienced. I take offense at your accusation. I didn't take photos that day, because I had no intention of posting them.

There's are reasons Brewers isn't a frequently recommended beach for tourists. There are more tourist friendly beaches.

Yes, many locals bathe at Brewers, but the day I saw the dogs there were very few locals there. I think rain was off and on so which kept many people away, but the dogs were there. I'm not afraid of dogs on a leash or in a neighborhood, but I'm not going to trust a stray dog on a beach. They did not look cared for, and I'm not taking any chances.

I've seen dogs at Brewers and Vessup in addition to trash, so I will not suggest that visitors go there. Nobody wants to see dogs and trash at a beach when they've on vacation.

Next time I'll be sure to take pictures as proof.

Okay, I don't think I would recommend Vessup, but John Brewer's Beach is not remote like Vessup is. I am not sure all visitors must have lounge chairs and drinks with umbrellas in them. For someone who really would like to have a local experience, I think Brewer's is a good option. I have never heard of feral dogs there and would think that UVI would keep an eye on that. I do not think it is a daily occurrence anyway...