At a Loss about Nassau/Atlantis

rwilliams362

We are cruising the week of Spring Break (for NC school) arriving in Nassau on April 22nd. We are only there from 12 pm - 8 pm and our whole reason for taking this cruise was to see Atlantis and decide if we want to vacation there, or an adjoining hotel ;) and visit Atlantis. However, now that I'm looking into the options they are INSANE to think someone wants to pay almost $400 for 4 hours using their amenities. Our 9 year old is very excited to see Atlantis and of course wants to try everything :rolleyes: We've explained that we will come stay here and can do more at another time.

So my question is: What is the best option so that he feels like he got to do somethings without breaking our wallet? To me, 4 hours is not worth $400 to play in the water :eek:

Also, is there a way to get a good deal on a vacation there? I know staying at an adjoining hotel that offers day passes is definitely the way to go, but what other things do we need to think about or plan for? We want to see the places and get info while we are there this time for the return trip!

You could get the Dig's aquarium pass, which costs $45. You wouldn't have access to the pools and beach but you could walk around and see some of the grounds and enjoy the animals. You might see enough to help you decide if you really want to go back for a stay.

We love Atlantis (have only been there on cruise stops), but we've gone when crowds were low (early November - it will be PACKED when you are there), and our ship docks early (we arrive at Atlantis at 9 to grab a chair and use the pools until the slides open at 10). The pass from the cruiseline was also only $99 pp, because it was low season. You will not be able to even walk around Atlantis without a pass.

You could always walk over to Junkanoo (free beach), or get a day pass at a hotel (but it seems everything closes at 5).

We are cruising the week of Spring Break (for NC school) arriving in Nassau on April 22nd. We are only there from 12 pm - 8 pm and our whole reason for taking this cruise was to see Atlantis and decide if we want to vacation there, or an adjoining hotel ;) and visit Atlantis. However, now that I'm looking into the options they are INSANE to think someone wants to pay almost $400 for 4 hours using their amenities. Our 9 year old is very excited to see Atlantis and of course wants to try everything :rolleyes: We've explained that we will come stay here and can do more at another time.

So my question is: What is the best option so that he feels like he got to do somethings without breaking our wallet? To me, 4 hours is not worth $400 to play in the water :eek:

Also, is there a way to get a good deal on a vacation there? I know staying at an adjoining hotel that offers day passes is definitely the way to go, but what other things do we need to think about or plan for? We want to see the places and get info while we are there this time for the return trip!

YOu might want to check with Comfort suites to see if they have a room available and the rate. During high season, the rates are high and they usually have a 2 nite minimum.

The Aquarium Pass for $45 doesn't allow you access to the grounds, pools, lagoons, beaches etc. It might be too much of a tease for your son. I can't see bringing a child to a water park, then telling him he can't go in.

We loved Atlantis. We went in Oct and during hurricane sandy so it was pretty empty the day we were there. We booked a room direct through them fo $600 total for 4 people. We did this because we were supposed to stay in Nassau for 2 full days. Hurricane caused us to be in port for 7 hours.

Do I think the $600 for 4 ppl was worth it for a handful of hours. YOU BET and I would do it again. The place is amazing. We did both the water park and the aquarium. I would agree about getting the dig passes. Im sure they will be a tad upset they cant play in the water park but the aquarium really is spectacular.

I have heard that it is ridiculously busy during that week...Easter Week. We wanted to visit on 4/23 when we are docked but it was going to cost almost $1200 for my family of 6 to go from 830-130....considering the slides don't open until 10 am, we decided against it.

I would say that you should do something else and return to Atlantis on a land vacation, during the off season.

But....remember that there are usually 4-6 ships in port everyday and they all sell excursions to Atlantis.

We talked about it and have decided to just do The Discover Atlantis Tour direct at Atlantis. We explained how much it costs and that we would rather use that money towards a vacation stay where he can play as much as he wants :D

How much do the taxi's generally cost that run from the Port to Atlantis and back?

I think that's a good plan. It's still fun to see parts of Atlantis and then you can look forward to your next visit. Be sure to walk over to the Predator Lagoon and see the big fish and sharks.

Taxis are $4 a person (plus tip). You'll be sharing a van with others.

How much do the taxi's generally cost that run from the Port to Atlantis and back?

What is the suggested tip amount? Will we always share a ride with others and if not will the cost and tip still be the same? Since we are not leaving the ship with a Carnival tour not sure what the return ride will be.

We've tipped an extra $1 a person but it is really up to you. The times we've been to Atlantis, there have been other people going back to the port to share a ride with, so the cost was the same as getting there. But the times we've come back from Cabbage Beach and it was just the two of us in the taxi, they charged $11.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into booking a room at Comfort Suites to get access to Atlantis, however it says that check-in is at 3 pm. Our ship docks at 8 am and we would likely get to Comfort Suites/Atlantis around 10.

Anyone know if we would still be able to go ahead and "check in" and get our water passes even if we are there way before check in time?

Thanks!

You can check in, get your passes and check right back out if you don't plan on walking back to the Comfort Suites before returning to the ship.

I have always wondered how many times CS sells the same room every day :)

I looked into booking a room at Comfort Suites to get access to Atlantis, however it says that check-in is at 3 pm. Our ship docks at 8 am and we would likely get to Comfort Suites/Atlantis around 10.

Anyone know if we would still be able to go ahead and "check in" and get our water passes even if we are there way before check in time?

Thanks!

I would say call or email them to confirm that but I don't see why not. Most hotels have let us check in early and said you room will not be available until such and such time. I'm sure they are used to this and the majority will not even use their rooms anyway.