WINDSURF 6/20 - ANYONE ON BOARD????

travelwide

So far I haven't seen any price reductions on any of the internet clearance sites. In fact,I'm sure many of you have noticed that travelocity and the rest list the rooms at the same price as the windstar site, but without air included. No wonder the ship isn't full.

We splurged on a suite when we signed on, so if they start cheap upgrades it won't do us any good, but I hope the rest of you get lucky.

We are leaving June 11, so if doc's don't arrive soon I guess I will have to start bugging them.

Hi Everyone. Three weeks to go and still no documents. icon_confused.gif I'm going to check with the TA today. Was disappointed to see the negative comments from those just recently back from the Windsurf. I still can't wait to go though. Still looks like loads of available cabins on the ship. Barbara

Barbara, we felt the same as you mentioned about the negative comments ande we agreed this would not discourage us for our fast approaching cruise.

Still no docs. Maybe today. Alma spoke to our T.A. late last week and she thought they should be here by Friday.

Keep you all posted, and have a great Holiday weekend!

My TA says windstar assured her our doc's left last thursday, which means they should be forwarded to us by wednesday. They told her they were waiting to see if there was a last minute change in dock assignments in Lisbon.

Hooray! The tickets arrived today. But as we are leaving on the 11th, it was none too soon. Nice, reusable, zippered canvas pouch. Don't freak out when you see the 'Baltic tours" brochure- our ports are in there, though you have to search for them.

No documents for me yet. I sure hope they come next week. Still looks like lots of cabin availability on the ship so I'm pretty confident we will be sailing with a less than full ship. 2 weeks from today. Seems to have come upon us very fast.

Now that I think about it, the excuse windstar gave for being late with docs (because they were worried about changing piers in Lisbon), doesn't hold water- nowhere in the doc's is a departure point mentioned. Only that transportation is provided between our hotel and the ship. FYI for those flying in that morning, it says you will be met at the airport, then'an interim location may be provided for those arriving in Lisbon early in the day". And the boat does sail at nearly midnight.

With today's email offering cheap second cabins on our sailing (we paid full price for one, grrr) it sounds like Windstar may be finally trying to fill up the ship. I would assume this would mean moving some B class passengers up to suites too- anybody get lucky yet?

My documents arrived in the mail today. icon_biggrin.gif Very excited that they are finally here. They are listed with our assigned cabin that we booked. I'm not going with any expectation of an upgrade so anything different would be a nice surprise. Barbara

This has probably been asked and answered before, but search is not working, so: Does anyone know if the computers on the windsurf will download photos from a digital camera to a CD? Thanks- I would rather bring a couple of cd's than a stack of floppys.

I have a question too. The documents state that on the Windsurf the only power outlet is 220 volt and you would have to bring an adaptor. Yet on the Windstar website under the ship description, it states that each cabin has one 220 outlet and one 110 outlet. Does anyone know for sure?

Looking for help - Tipping. Have never sailed Windstar before so am not familiar with the open dining room at night where you might have different servers each night. Who do you give the tip money to at the end of the cruise? How does it get handled? Thanks. Can't believe we leave in a week. See you all on the ship. Barbara

• 1 month later...

We are going in September on the surf with a couple of the same ports off call.

We love travelling indepedent, so you maybe have some tips for us.

Ports of call:

-le havre, I think this will be a lazy day

-le palais, belle isle: should we rent a scooter or a car?

-la pallice, la rochelle: what do we need to visit, and how do we get there?

-st jean de luz: what do we need to visit, and how do we get there?

-la coruna:what do we need to visit, and how do we get there?

-vilagarcia de arousa: train to santiago? how far is the train station from the port? we arrive at 8 o'clock, and I found a train leaving at 8.18

-leixous: to porto by train?

Did you have a lot of watersport activities onboard?

Which movies were showing?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few of our impressions from the 6/20 trip:

Belle Isle- one of our favorite stops, although there isn't much to see except pretty scenery. We took the bus tour, but I would skip it next time. There is a little fishing town on the other side of the island from where the ship docks that was very charming. I would rent a car or scooter and go there for a nice lunch.

La Rochelle- Lots of great shopping and good restaurants. Very easy to spend a day here just wandering.

La Coruna- pretty much a sleepy little everday town without much going on. We went in, looked around, then spent the day on the ship. The tours featured a couple of churches.

St Jean- Pretty little town that can be explored in a couple of hours. We took the basque village tour- kind of disappointing- you speed through several identical villages, pretty in a swiss chalet kind of way- quite tidy and properous looking- then stop for an hour in one during the siesta hour. All but one of the shops were closed- we had time for a very quick bite.

We also did the cognac tour, which took forever. Might be interesting if you really like cognac. In Le Havre we did the Normandy beaches- a long bus ride with an hour at the british landing beach (no brits among us, not what we came for) and only 20 minutes at the American cemetery above Utah beach. I mentioned Oporto and Santiago tours in your other posting. We decided $200 was too much for the Santiago tour, so tried to arrange a tour guide and car in advance (we were in a group). THe guide showed up, but no car. We ended up taking the train- something of a fiasco. The tour included a fabulous lunch at a 5 star hotel on the church square, a perfomance by a dance troupe in native costumes (very authentic, not touristy) and special entry to the church- the rest of us had to skip going through the special door, as the line went on forever.

Gosh- reading this over I sound pretty negative about the tours, but then we usually go off on our own- I don't like wasting time in port on a bus when there is so little of it.

It was a delightful trip to a part of Europe I would probably never have seen.

We are taking Holland America for a Panama cruise this fall, because friends are having an anniversary- how I will miss Windstar's casual dining!

• 5 months later...

Archived