Now is the time to be concerned...

baggal

...if you have a 2014 Baltic cruise scheduled. Reports are that Russia just invaded Ukraine today. Although a lot can happen between now and the start of the Baltic cruise season. Worst case scenario is that the ships will skip St. Petersburg if the US imposes sanctions on Russia. What a shame for everyone - especially the Ukrainians.

As someone booked on a 2014 Baltic cruise, this is something that bears watching. US-Russia relations are at their lowest point since the fall of the USSR, and the arrow seems pointed in the wrong direction.

As someone booked on a 2014 Baltic cruise, this is something that bears watching. US-Russia relations are at their lowest point since the fall of the USSR, and the arrow seems pointed in the wrong direction.

Agree that it is certainly a situation to monitor, but I wouldn't panic or cancel at this point. However, if I was looking to book a Baltic cruise in the upcoming season, I think I'd reconsider, or at least wait a bit to see how things how things develop.

We will be cruising the Baltics in late May on the Eurodam.

Yes... I am concerned with the events of the past few days.

Will not cancel cruise, but... if a state dept caution is issued, we will follow that carefully.:(

Since most ships traveling to the Baltics are NOT flagged in the USA, I wonder if it would matter? I will be traveling to a country bordering the Ukraine and everyone tells me that the conflict has not reached their country except for minor supportive, peaceful demonstrations.

I agree that we need to keep our eyes and ears open.

I definitely agree that we are now talking about monitoring rather than reacting. But Putin is unpredictable and not long ago ended the adoption of Russian children by American parents in response to American legislation. I am not trying to turn this into a political forum, but the sense is that the US will be taking a much tougher position with Russia than in the past, triggering a Russian response, which may well affect Western tourists.

I would still think we are talking only remote chances that a travel embargo would be imposed. No panic from me, but I will cancel if St Petersburg isn't included. The rest of the ports look nice enough, but St Petersburg is the main port for us on this one.

Edited by hubofhockey

I would still think we are talking only remote chances that a travel embargo would be imposed. No panic from me, but I will cancel if St Petersburg isn't included. The rest of the ports look nice enough, but St Petersburg is the main port for us on this one.

ConnieG: ? Since most ships traveling to the Baltics are NOT flagged in the USA' date=' I wonder if it would matter? I will be traveling to a country bordering the Ukraine and everyone tells me that the conflict has not reached their country except for minor supportive, peaceful demonstrations. I agree that we need to keep our eyes and ears open. [/quote']

RJ2002: Agree that it is certainly a situation to monitor' date=' but I wouldn't panic or cancel at this point. However, if I was looking to book a Baltic cruise in the upcoming season, I think I'd reconsider, or at least wait a bit to see how things how things develop. [/quote']

Appreciate and agree with the above posts about monitoring, but NOT panicking. On these boards we cannot get too "political", but the probably reality is that there will be lots of "talk" between Europe nations and the U.S. Plus, deep, serious concern!! Nobody, however, is likely to do anything too, too dire and/or tangible.

St. Petersburg is the superstar in the Baltics. If you cannot go there on your cruise, then it would not be worth the trip. We loved our three days in Russia during our late July 2008 Baltics cruise. That was right before the later summer "action" by Russia in Georgia. Nothing really happened after Russia put its foot down in that area of its former Empire. I would expect more of the same as the many western countries will not be able to agree on what they might do or not. Just my prediction based on recent history in Syria, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 37,576 views for this fun posting.

We think that as most or all of the cruise ships and crew in the Baltic are not US based and presumably most passengers on most cruises will have EU (or other non-US) passports this won't be a problem, even if there is a US embargo.

We think that as most or all of the cruise ships and crew in the Baltic are not US based and presumably most passengers on most cruises will have EU (or other non-US) passports this won't be a problem, even if there is a US embargo.

I would say this is certainly not true for some cruises. I'm on Celebrity in May, and we have a very active Roll Call, with 80% of the participants being from the US.

Edited by Cindy

I would say this is certainly not true for some cruises. I'm on Celebrity in May, and we have a very active Roll Call, with 80% of the participants being from the US.

Your CC roll call makes up a very small percentage of the total cruise ship pax, no matter how active. Most of the pax have never heard of CC.

I agree with everyone else. no panic, just watch and see. I believe the cruise ships will not go into any area where there can be trouble. There are enough problems that make the national news every other week.

No one panic and as long as you have trip insurance, If you have to, cancelling at the last minute won't be a problem.

Cheers

Len

Your CC roll call makes up a very small percentage of the total cruise ship pax, no matter how active. Most of the pax have never heard of CC.

I'm aware of that. I made the comment because Baltic cruises are very popular with passengers from the US as well as other areas of the world. I don't think you can assume there will be few US citizens on summer European cruises.

Edited by Cindy

I agree with everyone else. no panic, just watch and see. I believe the cruise ships will not go into any area where there can be trouble. There are enough problems that make the national news every other week.

No one panic and as long as you have trip insurance, If you have to, cancelling at the last minute won't be a problem.

Cheers

Len

That's what we're going to do. I need to make final payment, and I'm going ahead with it. We're too far into it to do otherwise! I'll just keep an eye on things and hope for the best. Whatever happens, it's out of my control so I need to try not to worry about it!:rolleyes:

Ok, let us stop already the scaremongering and Anti-Russia bashing that we see on the Western Media...:rolleyes:

The Russian Federation is at this moment considering several scenarios to protect their Military and human interests in the Crimea, which is an Autonomous area within the Ukraine, with its own Parliament. Most inhabitants of the Crimea are Russian and feel threatened by the Civil anti-Russian interest in the Ukraine.

Any responsible state would protect its main naval base and more than 1.5 Million ethnic Russians who , through the Crimean government ( democratically elected by the way ),ask for protection.

The USA will never put any embargo on Russia. Remember that Russia is a permanent UN security council member and a Superpower.

the USA is invading souvereign countries on a regular basis...in order to protect its interests by the way, and so do the EU nations, including my own. That is not war, it is called Military Tactical Action.

Russia is not some loose cannon that FOX news pretends it to be. Not at all.

Visiting St. Petersburg is safe for all, and will continue to be safe.

By the way, Cruisecritic is a US based website where 95% of participants are American. It is unknown to the vast majority of cruise passengers, especially those not from the USA.

Whilst I agree that St Petersburg is and may stay a safe place to visit I think there is an important point that Despegue seems to have missed. The fact is that if the situation grows which I sincerely hope it does not, it will be the various countries that will issue foreign office warnings, which may well mean that all the cruise companies, regardless of where they are registered and whoever they carry will be forced to pull out.

This would be terrible not only for us (we are also booked for June) but for the people of St Petersburg who have been so hospitable and extremely welcoming to the tourists who visit their wonderful city. We have visited before. It would hurt their economy as there are so many people who work now in the tourist industry.

Fingers crossed that all will be ok but we must keep an eye on the situation.

Whilst I agree that St Petersburg is and may stay a safe place to visit I think there is an important point that Despegue seems to have missed. The fact is that if the situation grows which I sincerely hope it does not, it will be the various countries that will issue foreign office warnings, which may well mean that all the cruise companies, regardless of where they are registered and whoever they carry will be forced to pull out.

This would be terrible not only for us (we are also booked for June) but for the people of St Petersburg who have been so hospitable and extremely welcoming to the tourists who visit their wonderful city. We have visited before. It would hurt their economy as there are so many people who work now in the tourist industry.

Fingers crossed that all will be ok but we must keep an eye on the

situation.

Well said.

One mistake in my previous post: the current Crimean government has been installed over the last few days and has NOT been elected by vote.

There will not be any travel warning against visiting St. Petersburg, that I can almost guarantee.

I travel for a living, and travel warnings are only issued when there is an acute and real danger for foreign travelers in a particular area.

I will simply say that our Belgium-based friend and I will have to agree to disagree on some political opinions expressed above, and I readily admit that this is not the appropriate forum for political discussions.

Nonetheless, I think the discord between the US and Russia will get worse. The questions are how much worse and for how long will relations be in flux. And the issues are whether Russia will take formal action severely limiting tourist traffic and whether Western tourists--especially American tourists--will decide that given the political climate this is not the year to take a Baltics cruise.

Many views on this subject but none change the fact that people need to pay attention and see how this unfolds.

I have a Baltic Cruise booked for August and while missing St. Petersburg would be disappointing I'm sure my cruise (Celebrity) would do their best to make up for it by either adding new ports or perhaps adding an overnight or two in one of the other ports.

And while we can talk about how this affects our cruise plans, let's not forget the people of the Ukraine who are dealing with this life changing struggle on a daily basis. Let's hope the situation cools down and tensions subside.

Ok, let us stop already the scaremongering and Anti-Russia bashing that we see on the Western Media...:rolleyes:

The Russian Federation is at this moment considering several scenarios to protect their Military and human interests in the Crimea, which is an Autonomous area within the Ukraine, with its own Parliament. Most inhabitants of the Crimea are Russian and feel threatened by the Civil anti-Russian interest in the Ukraine.

Any responsible state would protect its main naval base and more than 1.5 Million ethnic Russians who , through the Crimean government ( democratically elected by the way ),ask for protection.

The USA will never put any embargo on Russia. Remember that Russia is a permanent UN security council member and a Superpower.

Russia is not some loose cannon that FOX news pretends it to be. Not at all.

Visiting St. Petersburg is safe for all, and will continue to be safe.

By the way, Cruisecritic is a US based website where 95% of participants are American. It is unknown to the vast majority of cruise passengers, especially those not from the USA.

Despeque,

I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some. To jump into a dialogue on the issues you raised would not be appropriate, since it would clearly be political in nature.

i believe that travel in the Baltic is likely to be safe and uninterrupted, unless Russia launches a full scale invasion of Ukraine and attempts to absorb the entire country. I don't think that will happen.

I do think that Russia will find a way to absorb Crimea into Russia or at a minimum, unofficial take over like they did with two provinces of Georgia.

Many of the former Soviet Republics that are not independent had substantial numbers of Russian speaking or ethnic Russians. i hope that Georgia and Ukraine are not examples of a trend.

Edited by 4774Papa
error