Now is the time to be concerned...

baggal

I would have problems with Latvia or Gdansk or Oslo or sea days. But I realize that with Stockholm and Copenhagen as the ports where my cruise begins and ends, the ports above are likely to be the itinerary changes if changes are made.

For me, these are the high points of a Baltic cruise: SPB (two nights), Stockholm, Copenhagen and Berlin (though I will note that the cruise I am booked on is scheduled to be in port in Warnemunde for 18 hours, spends a day in Travemunde where one can visit Lubeck, and goes to Tallinn, which is supposed to be a pleasant port of call). In short, if the original itinerary had listed, say, Oslo and Gdansk instead of SPB, I would not have thought twice about it. On the other hand, were the ship to go west with more time in Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium, I would make the cruise.

There was an excellent post above about how a human tragedy is unfolding in the Ukraine, and I do not want to dwell excesively on travel plans. But with regard to those plans, I would like to see the situation clarified, though my fear is that Russia will be sending troops to the eastern Ukraine. At that point, the US and some European countries, the latter kicking, will likely have to impose serious economic and financial sanctions, which will cause Russia to respond in some way.

If by my payment date, I believe there is a good possibility that SPB will be removed from the itinerary, then I will need to see how much I will lose if I cancel or reschedule my air reservations; whether, if I cannot cancel, I want to take a land trip with Stockholm and Copenhagen as bookends; and whether, if I can cancel, I want to schedule or do something else. However, I have to plan vacations nine to 12 months out. A different cruise a month later is not an option.

Edited by Reggiefan

Amazingly, my husband and I always seem to pick a travel locale that develops major problems before the trip! We are sailing out of Harwich on May 14...the cruise already paid for. Fortunately, I used air miles and will rebank them if need be but that will cost a pretty penny.

Were the cruise to continue with the exclusion of SPB, I would hope that another port would be added rather than adding two additional days of cruising nowhere, but I expect nothing. We have been on cruises when ports were cancelled due to inclement weather and nothing was done to rectify the m issing ports.

So, we shall see where this all leads. Things will turn out however they will turn out and we will deal with the outcome. Sad times we live in!

There was an excellent post above about how a human tragedy is unfolding in the Ukraine, and I do not want to dwell excesively on travel plans.

This is the appropriate forum for discussion of travel plans and not about sympathy for either side in a political dispute. While I hope a beneficial solution is worked out for all parties, many of us have significant investments in time and dollars that we should feel free to discuss here. For those cruising in June, final payments are an important issue. some of us have almost six weeks. The time now is for planning and making well grounded decisions.

Agree BUT 2 more sea days would not be acceptable. Don't think Putin will back down & he will try to subvert new Ukrainian govt. Will probably succeed. See how quickly the new navy chief defected,

Really doubt that anyone would end up with 2 more sea days - there are so many ports that are possible in the area.

Agree, our concern should be with the people of the Ukraine.

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. I am adult enough to make my own decision, based on what I feel is right for me. Bring "Fox News" into the convernation? Are you kidding? What does ANY news organization have to do with anything?

I believe the best thing to do is to wait and stay abreast of the situation as it unfolds. We sail in August with final payment due in May. I will be happy with other ports if need be, disappointed?? you bet! but I will live with whatever HAL does if St Petersburg needs to be cancelled.

Well, my final payment is due TOMORROW, and just like any other trip we take, I plan to "roll with the punches" on this. We will be in France and Belgium for three weeks prior to sailing from Copenhagen, and I have all kinds of airfare and plans made. I've not booked any shore excursions as of yet, but will keep my fingers crossed that StPB is on the agenda.

Well, my final payment is due TOMORROW, and just like any other trip we take, I plan to "roll with the punches" on this. We will be in France and Belgium for three weeks prior to sailing from Copenhagen, and I have all kinds of airfare and plans made. I've not booked any shore excursions as of yet, but will keep my fingers crossed that StPB is on the agenda.

Good luck to you and to all of the rest of us with a Baltics cruise booked this year

We're in the same boat. Our final payment is due on Thursday so we paid it yesterday. We already have extensive plans in the UK and Netherlands before and after the cruise. Hopefully everything will work out fine and we'll make it to St. P. Either way, it should be a great vacation.

We're in the same boat. Our final payment is due on Thursday so we paid it yesterday. We already have extensive plans in the UK and Netherlands before and after the cruise. Hopefully everything will work out fine and we'll make it to St. P. Either way, it should be a great vacation.

great attitude! I believe the saying goes "go with the flow" it is out of our control, and you can either panic and cancel your trip, or just pay and hope for the best, which is what we plan to do. Any vacation to European countries is an absolutely great vacation, and we are among the minority that has the priviledge to do so.:)

Excellent opinions and I wish all with upcoming cruises the best with your decisions with all that is happening and changing so fast.

For us, St. Petersburg was the reason we booked a Baltic cruise. While the other ports were fantastic, going to visit St. Petersburg and Russia was the highlight of our cruise. It was one of the few times where our expectations were high, and the end result actually exceeded those expectations.

We were discussing yesterday these events over coffee and how fortunate we were to have decided relatively last minute last year (~45 days out) to book. My parents ask why we wanted to go to Russia, and besides saying it was a place we really wanted to visit (bucket list kind of thing), we felt it was also a good & comfortable time for us to go there.

Good luck again to all of you making these decisions, the people of the Ukraine and to the wonderful people in St. Petersburg and the other Baltic ports. Unfortunately, many many people will be directly and indirectly impacted by what is happening. Here's hoping this gets resolved quickly and in the most positive way for all!

Edited by brentp

This is the appropriate forum for discussion of travel plans and not about sympathy for either side in a political dispute.

And this relates to a human event, with tragic deaths so far such as the shooting of 80 in Maidan, so it's quite appropriate to reflect on that as well.

This is more than a "political dispute" the wording of which tries to lessen the seriousness of the situation.

great attitude! I believe the saying goes "go with the flow" it is out of our control, and you can either panic and cancel your trip, or just pay and hope for the best, which is what we plan to do. Any vacation to European countries is an absolutely great vacation, and we are among the minority that has the priviledge to do so.:)

Good thoughts. Most of us on the 5/9 Connie cruise have already made final payment and unless you have cancel for any reason travel insurance I don't think your insurance will cover a trip cancellation if Celebrity decided not to go to STP. I'm still hopeful we will make it to STP, but if not, there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just enjoy the rest of the trip.

I seriously doubt anything will come of this anymore than it did with the same scenario in Georgia. Europe has too much invested in Russia to acquiesce to any serious provocation and the US is now a paper tiger. Ukraine will be taken back by Russia and everyone will watch reality shows again. We should all plan to enjoy Estonia and Poland while we can before they are "absorbed" into the Russian Federation too in the next few years.

I am ethnically German, but my grandparents are from Russia (what is now the Ukraine)...so this has all been an interesting history lesson. They were religious refugees welcomed by Catherine into Russia...given land and then persecuted later on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seaofwonder

And this relates to a human event, with tragic deaths so far such as the shooting of 80 in Maidan, so it's quite appropriate to reflect on that as well.

This is more than a "political dispute" the wording of which tries to lessen the seriousness of the situation.

I am a bit surprised that CC still let this thread live. I guess that it is now allowed to discuss politics here at CC...

I apologize if my post offended you, but there are many forums on the net to discuss the politics or however you want to describe the situation. I thought Cruise Critic was the place to discuss the impact on cruise plans. My mistake.

Why not sit this one out and see what's happening, if something is happening.

And relax, Russia is not gonna take over Ukraine or other ex soviet countries.

Its a dispute over the Crimea peninsula and the Russian black sea fleet base at Sevastopol.

They can't afford to loose control of that area and they are just showing off over the new pro European government.

Except for a few posts that have been overtly political, I think most have tried to focus on the travel issues. And because of the importance of this subject to those who have scheduled Baltic cruises, I would hope that this thread would stay.

It is going to take some time before we learn whether the crisis will become greater, simmer or subside. However, I am interested in any information in the upcoming weeks as to how the cruise lines are responding to events in the Ukraine. Thanks.

I seriously doubt anything will come of this anymore than it did with the same scenario in Georgia. Europe has too much invested in Russia to acquiesce to any serious provocation and the US is now a paper tiger. Ukraine will be taken back by Russia and everyone will watch reality shows again. We should all plan to enjoy Estonia and Poland while we can before they are "absorbed" into the Russian Federation too in the next few years.

Estonia and Poland are NATO countries now. Attacking those countries would be very doubtful.

An attack on one is an attack on all.

I apologize if my post offended you, but there are many forums on the net to discuss the politics or however you want to describe the situation. I thought Cruise Critic was the place to discuss the impact on cruise plans. My mistake.

People are discussing the impact on cruise plans, so I don't see why you think you made a mistake.

Nevertheless, I don't see that mentioning other concerns on the human element is justifiably dismissed - and daresay if it was an issue 'closer to home' that it would be considered.

For all of you who are afraid of booking a Baltic Sea cruise without St.Petersburg, I'd just like to remind you that St.Petersburg does have an international airport. You could apply for a visa, fly there, see the city at your leisure. You could even even book tours with some of the helpful guides discussed on this board.