2nd question about QM2

rdadams

Thanks to all those who replied to my question about the fireworks on the July 4th QM2.

For anyone who has been on this cruise before, which excursion(s) would you recommend in Halifax? I have never been to Halifax before and want to get the most out of it.

Also, I will be traveling with my 12-yo niece (world's greatest uncle!). I have a feeling there may not be that many kids her age on-board. So I would also appreciate any recommendations of activities that she may enjoy. This trip is her birthday/Christmas present and my gift to myself for graduating med school, residency, and fellowship. We are both first time cruisers and are looking forward to the voyage.

I appreciate any advice that those experienced with this 4th of July voyage can give. Thanks in advance!

I think you both might enjoy the tour that takes you to the graveyard that has a number of people who died on the Titanic buried there. Also, from where you will be docked, it is a very easy walk along a nice boardwalk into town. Lots of restaurants, museums, shops along the way and in the town. It's pretty scenery by the water as you walk toward town. It's a small town so seeing a lot is easily possible.

Adding to my post above. We took our families on that cruise last year and one of our grandsons was 12 at the time. There were quite a few children his age and he enjoyed spending some of his time when we were at sea in the kids' club (can't recall the name of the group). They went on scavenger hunts, had fun with computers and there were quite a few good activities.

Thanks to all those who replied to my question about the fireworks on the July 4th QM2.

For anyone who has been on this cruise before, which excursion(s) would you recommend in Halifax? I have never been to Halifax before and want to get the most out of it.

Also, I will be traveling with my 12-yo niece (world's greatest uncle!). I have a feeling there may not be that many kids her age on-board. So I would also appreciate any recommendations of activities that she may enjoy. This trip is her birthday/Christmas present and my gift to myself for graduating med school, residency, and fellowship. We are both first time cruisers and are looking forward to the voyage.

I appreciate any advice that those experienced with this 4th of July voyage can give. Thanks in advance!

Hi rdadams. First of all, congrats on being a great uncle, and for completing your medical studies!

Regarding tours in Halifax: often the fog is thick, limiting visibility. Tours will go on, even if you can't see the hand in front of your face. Unfortunately, Port Halifax has seen it share of sorrow in the past, and prolonged tour of cemeteries, and disaster scenes isn't for everyone, much less a 12 year old, in my opinion.

Alternatively, when you walk off the ship, you will find a dispatcher for taxis who will ask you where you want to go. If you ask for a taxi driver who will take you on a short tour of Halifax and then drop you both at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, you will have a custom tour at a reasonable price. Weather permitting, you can then have a something to eat (price range varies) and see some pretty cool things as you walk back to the ship along the promenade that skirts the seacoast.

If the weather is bright and sunny, just walk the promenade - it's very safe during the day, and it will lead you right into the heart of Port Halifax. Have an ice cream cone, take a short harbor tour, do some shopping, enjoy the locals playing musical instruments as you walk back to the ship. Take lots of pictures. Before boarding, take a few minutes to sit on a bench and study the sculpture of Samuel Cunard - discuss his history and whether or not Samuel Cunard's sculpture should face towards the sea, or towards the city. Allow enough time to visit the shops in the terminal - there's some really cool things for children of all ages.

Anyway, those are my suggestions, but I'm sure no matter what you decide to do, you will have a fine time in Halifax because you will be in good company.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Ben there several times .

The Peggys Cove tours are very popular , a bit of a ride and weather must be nice to make it worthwhile.

Another tour to Lunenberg shipyard can be interesting . A bit of a ride.

A City Tour that stops at one of the Titanic graveyards (Fairview) and ends up downtown @ the Maritime Museum would be a good choice.

We took a bike tour of the city with a guide . Very interesting but many small hills along the route .

A walk down the boardwalk to the downtown museum area followed by a r/t ferry ride across the harbor can be fun.

Thanks for all the ideas.... a bike tour sounds fun. I would like to see one of the Titanic graveyards, but might be a little morbid for my traveling companion. I also like the idea of a short driving tour around town and then a trip to the maritime museum and a walk along the boardwalk.

Thanks for the ideas! If anyone else has something to offer I would appreciate it!

rdadams, I don't know if you are already aware of this, but Canada (and many other countries) require certain documents for minor children travelling with an adult that is not his or her parent.

"If a minor child is travelling with a person other than his/her parents or legal guardian:

If the child is travelling with an adult who is not his/her parent or legal guardian, the adult should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the child. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached."

Note: These documents are not always requested upon entry to Canada, but they may be. We therefore strongly recommend bringing them in case they are required by the immigration officer at the point of entry (airport or border crossing). A minor child will not be admitted to Canada if the officer is not satisfied that his parents or legal guardian have authorized his stay.

It is not necessary for the letter from the parent(s) described above to be certified, but a certified letter is acceptable. A photocopy of the parents’ or legal guardian’s passports or national identity cards bearing their signatures should be attached to the letter. copied from http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ghana/visas/trav-can_18_voy-can.aspx

For two or more, a car rental is cheaper than ship's excursions to Peggy's Cove. If you can find two more passengers (from among your dinner tablemates, perhaps) so much the better. We took a cab to the Avis office in a hotel not far from downtown. As I recall we walked back to the ship after dropping off the car.

Salacia,

Thanks for that tidbit of information. I had no idea!

Rdadams, you're welcome. I only learned about it because a family member brought it to my attention. You might also want to take a look at this: http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf

It probably won't be an issue, but it's so much easier to be prepared :) -S.

• 2 weeks later...
Rdadams, you're welcome. I only learned about it because a family member brought it to my attention. You might also want to take a look at this: http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf

It probably won't be an issue, but it's so much easier to be prepared :) -S.

I was asked for a similar a letter when I took my son and Mum by car from the USA to Canadian Niagra Falls. Even though I am the father the US border police wanted proof that I had my wife's permission to take him out of the country.

I realize this is a different case but given you will be coming to the US at the end of your trip I just wanted you to be aware that in my particular experience they do ask for documents. Check before you travel for both Canada and the USA.

Oh, and have fun :)