Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

I was wondering if anybody has some stories from their Royal Caribbean cruises (or any cruise lines) about passengers that have been rude and acted unruly.

Here are five stories of some random things that people have done onboard various cruise ships to inconvenience or be rude to others.

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2014/01/cruise-ship-mischief-the-things-passengers-do-that-irritate-me.html

The one that irritates me the most would be the elevator story. This article was not written out of angry or complaining, but out of humor at some common things that people have done before.

What have you seen or heard about onboard a cruise ship?

I hope to read some interesting and funny stories!

We were in the solarium for breakfast. A couple took a lot of food - you name it, they had it (two plates each). They took a few bites then got up and left. One of the workers stopped and asked them why they were leaving. The guy (won't call him a gentleman) was rude and went on about how the food was terrible and was worse than dog food (how would he know? Lol).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were in the solarium for breakfast. A couple took a lot of food - you name it, they had it (two plates each). They took a few bites then got up and left. One of the workers stopped and asked them why they were leaving. The guy (won't call him a gentleman) was rude and went on about how the food was terrible and was worse than dog food (how would he know? Lol).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did they take the plates or leave them? Anyways this person was rude.

Walkie talkie talkers!!!

Especially when they yell into the device as if just talking wouldn't work...and have the volume up loud enough for entire pool deck to hear person talking to them...

Guest maddycat

I am always amazed by the people that push their way on to an elevator that is obviously already full. I also don't understand why some people will try to get on to an elevator before letting people get off.

One afternoon on our most recent cruise, I was sitting outside when I noticed a 30something woman stumble and sit down on a lounger. The two men and woman that were with her stood around talking to each other. About 20 minutes later she threw up and "her" guy covered her up with a towel, then they helped her away 10 minutes later. I finally let one of the employees know what happened. It looked like someone had just spilled some food on the chair and ground, so it probably would have just been wiped away instead of thoroughly cleaned. Ick!

The most annoying thing to me is when Windjammer is full, people are walking around with plates of food looking for a table, and people finished eating are still just sitting and talking. Give up your table and go sit somewhere else!

But I love cruising so much and there is so much that is good, that it overshadows the bad. :)

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

Running in the halls

Slamming the cabin doors (this makes me crazy)

Screaming to people on balconies (decks above, below, down a few)

Pushing - on hallways, on the gangway, in the buffet, to get on elevators (I had a lady yell at me in the line to get on the tender)

Chair/table hogging

yelling on the halls while walking to your cabin at night

We had all these happen a lot on our last trip, some of the rudest passengers ever.

Running in the halls

Slamming the cabin doors (this makes me crazy)

Screaming to people on balconies (decks above, below, down a few)

Pushing - on hallways, on the gangway, in the buffet, to get on elevators (I had a lady yell at me in the line to get on the tender)

Chair/table hogging

yelling on the halls while walking to your cabin at night

We had all these happen a lot on our last trip, some of the rudest passengers ever.

I had someone on one of my cruises randomly knock on my door in the day and night. I never did catch them...

I even stood by the door with my hand on the knob at times hoping to catch the person. In my other hand I had my camera and I was going to take a picture to scare them a little (especially if they were a kid).

Edited by thecruiserofships

You know, the slamming doors aren't always on purpose or thoughtless....sometimes, those doors just get away from you, especially if the balcony door is not completely shut! Sorry!

Edited by cb at sea

Especially when they yell into the device as if just talking wouldn't work...and have the volume up loud enough for entire pool deck to hear person talking to them...

I swear I won't be able to resist the next time. I was soooooo tempted to do this the last time, but didn't.

Next time a walkie-talkie person does this, I'm going to turn around, lean in with a fascinated look on my face, listen raptly, and say, "REALLY??? OMG, I didn't know that. Say hi to XXXXX for me!". When they get annoyed, I'm going to tell them that I thought they WANTED me to join in since they were talking so loud that it seemed they were talking to all of us!"

Then smile and walk away.:D

You know, the slamming doors aren't always on purpose or thoughtless....sometimes, those doors just get away from you, especially if the balcony door is not completely shut! Sorry!

I agree, slamming doors is not always on purpose. Sometimes the doors are built to resist staying open so giving a gentle push will make a slam sound.

I am guilty of lightly slamming a door before.

Edited by thecruiserofships

I find the rudest behavior is when I see scooters and wheelchairs waiting patiently for an elevator and able bodied individuals rush ahead of them when the elevator door opens. The reason this irritates me so much, is because these people often have to wait a long time any way and they don't have the option of taking the stairs. :(

• Like 1

Mine might come off as odd, but one night in the Diamond lounge this older couple who had one too many free drinks were making a huge deal about my wife and I. Kept saying we were wayyyyy to young to be in there, how did we get in, etc etc now my wife and I were about 34 at the time. I was super annoyed and spent a lot of money to cruise as much as I have, but mind you own freaking business people. Just sayin!!!!

I find the rudest behavior is when I see scooters and wheelchairs waiting patiently for an elevator and able bodied individuals rush ahead of them when the elevator door opens. The reason this irritates me so much, is because these people often have to wait a long time any way and they don't have the option of taking the stairs. :(

Since I often use stairs I don't see that happen but when I do it truly is upsetting. In grad school one of my best buddies was wheelchair bound due to an accident. Knowing how he was a totally cool dude it upsets me to see folks treat those in chairs badly.

Well folks who go one flight in the elevator is annoying, but one never knows if they may have medical issues not allowing stairs.

This is a pet peeve of mine (no matter where it happens) - people stopping to have conversations in the middle of a high traffic area! Oh yeah, and walking two or three abreast down a stateroom corridor and then giving you the stink eye when they have to move aside to let you pass:(.

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

:D Re: your screen name....By any chance a disciple of Supreme Master Funakoshi? I am a lowly rokyudai who studied under Hachi Dan Bruyer.

Down line from Kaseke Ohn. I fall on the hand to hand evolution side. More involvement with entry team training once task forces began kicking down doors and someone was designated hands on if it was not a shooting situation but still went physical.

Funakoshi had great impact on my long time co- instructor and his.