Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

A group of people sitting near us in the Solarium hung their wet towels and bathing suits over the railing along the windows blocking the view of everyone in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I swear I won't be able to resist the next time. I was soooooo tempted to do this the last time, but didn't.

Next time a walkie-talkie person does this, I'm going to turn around, lean in with a fascinated look on my face, listen raptly, and say, "REALLY??? OMG, I didn't know that. Say hi to XXXXX for me!". When they get annoyed, I'm going to tell them that I thought they WANTED me to join in since they were talking so loud that it seemed they were talking to all of us!"

Then smile and walk away.:D

You may not be able to walk away.:)

I hate, yes hate, the chair hogs, especially the double chairs hogs. The one's who save loungers in the sun, ... and in the shade. I don't care how big your butt is, it is not going to be on both sides of the pool at once.

The double hogs on Serenity (Carnival) are 'special' too. They save a hammock and a clam shell (???), again, how many places can your big azz be at once?

Two weeks ago we were in the centrum on the the Serenade to watch the cake decorating contest. There were about five open seats, so we went to sit down when a guy told us that all those seats were saved. (He was about 65 years old, and was wearing a Carnival lanyard.) I stood next to him, my wife sat on the floor next to him. No one ever came to use the seats. :mad:

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I would have sat down anyways and said NO SEAT SAVING. Then I would have asked him if he would have liked to sit on the floor and see how comfortable it was.

Lots of good ones listed here.

This was a new one for me. On a recent cruise we often ran into and held elevators for 2 women with scooters. On the last day, I noticed that they were walking next to me at the Walk for Wishes. Shocked, I asked them why they had scooters if they were capable of walking. They said they use scooters because it is easier to get around the ship on scooters than it is to walk.

I swear I won't be able to resist the next time. I was soooooo tempted to do this the last time, but didn't.

Next time a walkie-talkie person does this, I'm going to turn around, lean in with a fascinated look on my face, listen raptly, and say, "REALLY??? OMG, I didn't know that. Say hi to XXXXX for me!". When they get annoyed, I'm going to tell them that I thought they WANTED me to join in since they were talking so loud that it seemed they were talking to all of us!"

Then smile and walk away.:D

DD and her friend were on the train back from NYC and this guy right behind them was gabbing on the phone the whole way , rather loudly. He must have made 3 or 4 calls the whole trip. The whole train got to hear his fascinating life and big details . "WELL THEY OFFERED ME 1.5, but I am holding out for 2"

Like the whole world really cares.

Finally he is on the phone with his wife/GF whatever . "He's on his way home,How was her day, did the kids get picked up on time BLAH BLAH BLAH This conversation is going on just as DD and her friend were about to get off at their stop.

As they get up to get ready to move to the doors of the train to get off. The friend asks the guy "Who are you talking to?" The guy looks at her like "Who the hell are you?"

She says "You're married with kids ???????? You have been with me 6 months and you are married with kids???? Really??? Do you ever call me while you are still in her bed, or do I just get that rotten treatment . Just get out of here!!!!

At which point the doors open and they got out at their stop.

When they told me the story , the only thing I could think of was that I hoped the guy actually did get the 2 million. I think he was going to need it *LOL*

With all of the precaution over sanitation, I can't stand people who eat while in line at the WJ, especially those who shove something like fries in their mouth, lick their fingers, the grab at serving tongs to get more food.

I know this one is mostly just me, but I hate it when people twirl their napkins during the "show" in the MDR. I don't know about you, but I use my napkin to wipe off liquids, crumbs, and food morsels stuck to my face. The idea of then catapulting that around the room does not sound sanitary to me, even if it's all in good fun.

Besides those things, the usual ... running in halls, blocking passageways, and treating fixed seating dining like it is MTD and showing up an hour late every night because your server is nice enough to try to accommodate you.

I'm offended by all the people who sole purpose in life is to be offended by every little thing and they think the world evolves just for them.

CC cruisers seem to be an easily offended lot.

Yes but many of them are easily placated by a nice OBC, or a free dinner in the specialty restaurant, or a tray of Chocolate Coverd strawberries . So it all evens out. :)

DH and I took our first cruise last June on the Carnival Valor. We were in the MDR on a formal night when suddenly a fist fight/throw down took place between two female family members right in the middle of the room. I don't think the Jerry Springer performance was part of the planned dining entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone

My cruising pet peeves pretty much revolve around inconsiderate people, oblivious people, and self-centered people.

The one I will never forget:

My wife and I were in the windjammer for lunch on the Allure appx. 2 years ago. Moderately busy. We were one row away from the windows, and about 1/2 way through our meal. There were plenty of empty tables, and one just opened up next to the window as a couple (60ish) was walking by. They both looked like PITA's.

They decided to grab this table, I suppose for the view. It had not been cleaned yet, as the other people just left. I see them stack up all of the dirty dishes, utensils, napkins....and then bring them to the table where my wife and I are eating! They placed the dirty dishes on our table and said, "You don't mind, do you?". I was speechless and just looked at them (probably with my mouth open).

So now the wife and I are just shocked, and trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. They were at a 4-person table, and so were we. We figured they had two more people coming (still not appropriate), but nobody else showed up! Steam was probably coming out of my ears at this point.

When we left, I took every single dirty thing off of our table and brought it to theirs (while they were about 1/2 way through their meal). It took me two trips. I said, "You don't mind, do you?", and left. I still can't believe this happened.

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

*wait....this is a joke right? To lighted the mood?

You know, the slamming doors aren't always on purpose or thoughtless....sometimes, those doors just get away from you, especially if the balcony door is not completely shut! Sorry!

I agree, slamming doors is not always on purpose. Sometimes the doors are built to resist staying open so giving a gentle push will make a slam sound.

I am guilty of lightly slamming a door before.

I'm sure you both know what I meant. There a huge difference between your neighbors door slamming once or twice & it slamming EVERY time they go in & out of their room.

I'm very considerate of passengers in wheelchairs and scooters and expect equal consideration with regards to my being injured by their running into me. Scooter riders have been the worst. I don't cut in front of them and am very aware of where they are, which is how I have avoided injury so far, but I've seen some bad ones and they came close.

I get furious at people who push onto an elevator without letting others off first. Come on, really?

I guess my other annoyance is people who block pathways and don't let you pass, or won't move over when coming from the other direction, especially when they're in a group. I'm not talking about the elderly or disabled, of course. But, I can throw a mean shoulder when the situation calls for it.

My cruising pet peeves pretty much revolve around inconsiderate people, oblivious people, and self-centered people.

The one I will never forget:

My wife and I were in the windjammer for lunch on the Allure appx. 2 years ago. Moderately busy. We were one row away from the windows, and about 1/2 way through our meal. There were plenty of empty tables, and one just opened up next to the window as a couple (60ish) was walking by. They both looked like PITA's.

They decided to grab this table, I suppose for the view. It had not been cleaned yet, as the other people just left. I see them stack up all of the dirty dishes, utensils, napkins....and then bring them to the table where my wife and I are eating! They placed the dirty dishes on our table and said, "You don't mind, do you?". I was speechless and just looked at them (probably with my mouth open).

So now the wife and I are just shocked, and trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. They were at a 4-person table, and so were we. We figured they had two more people coming (still not appropriate), but nobody else showed up! Steam was probably coming out of my ears at this point.

When we left, I took every single dirty thing off of our table and brought it to theirs (while they were about 1/2 way through their meal). It took me two trips. I said, "You don't mind, do you?", and left. I still can't believe this happened.

I like this - DoAsYouWouldBeDoneBy springs to mind.

I'm sure you both know what I meant. There a huge difference between your neighbors door slamming once or twice & it slamming EVERY time they go in & out of their room.

I do know what you meant - you were trying to discuss people who intentionally slam doors to either annoy others or make a statement. My statement was not directly aimed at you as I did know what you meant.

The most rude thing I've seen on a cruise was on a Princess cruise. There was a large family traveling together in about 3 cabins across the hall from us. Instead of congregating in a public area or trying to gather in one cabin, or using the phones, they would leave all 3 cabin doors open and just yell from cabin to cabin - and this was at all hours day and night.

As for non-cruise related, when we lived in Florida, we were at a warehouse club doing some shopping. There was a lady a few spaces down from us in the parking lot, who takes the cake for laziness and disrespect. After she had emptied her cart, instead of taking it to the cart return (which was 3 spaces away from her), she simply parked her cart behind the vehicle next to her, that way that person would have to deal with it.

As the bumper sticker I once saw says, "The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity...we may be running out of hydrogen."

Did they take the plates or leave them? Anyways this person was rude.

Have to post an exchange on the Azura while in the Show Lounge.

We were joined at a table by two couples, and after the usual exchanges one of the ladies looked towards my Wife, and a conversation took place along these lines

That's a nice necklace, I was going to buy it myself

Thank you

Yes, I saw it in Big Brands while shopping before we left.

Big Brands?

Yes, Big Brands in Manchester.

Never been there, my Husband purchased this four years ago in St.Martin for our Anniversary

No I saw it in Manchester, it was about twenty pounds

Another lady joined the conversation- They sell diamonds in St.Martin. They (pointing) are not diamonds, they're paste

My Wife replied saying they were actually diamonds

To which a male joined in - If they (pointing) were real diamonds they would cost serious money.

But you are on a P&O cruise (laughing).

We left the Lounge.

Whenever our paths crossed on the ship, the four would enter into a collective chant of "paste, paste, paste" with much amusement.

Rude and also appalling.

Needless to say, because of this and other reasons our first P&O cruise was also our last.

As for non-cruise related, when we lived in Florida, we were at a warehouse club doing some shopping. There was a lady a few spaces down from us in the parking lot, who takes the cake for laziness and disrespect. After she had emptied her cart, instead of taking it to the cart return (which was 3 spaces away from her), she simply parked her cart behind the vehicle next to her, that way that person would have to deal with it.

This happened to me once a long time ago but I was in the car preparing to back out when a woman pulled this. I took it to the cart area but regretted doing so afterwards when I realized I should have placed it behind her car so that maybe she would learn from the incident. Of course you can't fix lazy, stupid and inconsiderate so I'm sure it wouldn't have had the desired effect anyway.

I don't have a problem with people pushing onto the elevator preventing me from getting off. That's because I'm usually within reach of the control panel, and I just keep my finger on the "door open" button.

When asked what I'm doing, I very politely, with a gentle smile, point out that as I'm leaving the elevator on this floor, I will keep the door open until I can leave.

It's amazing how many people actually blush and apologies profusely when they realise just how rude they have been.... :)

VP

Maybe I am blessed with polite cruisers, however one rude does stand out.

On Coral Princess my wife and I were on a glass elevator, when a young, attractive, but VERY overweight young lady got on. At the next floor a gentleman??? looked in, and said, "I guess there is no room for me" and did not get on.

I still don't know what I should have said, or done.As I recall the elevator had a limit of at least 10 persons. It still upsets me to think about it.

john