Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Hubby and I were enjoying a drink on the lido of the Legend when an older couple came and plonked their ash tray on our table and proceeded to smoke.It took all my strength to not argue so we got up and left as I shot her a look and muttered what a bunch of twats as I walked off.I hate smokers in most places but that really took the biscuit.

Same trip we were waiting for anytime dining and some ladies were chatting and did not see the waiters calling them forward so a rude guy near the back shouted 'get a move on a stop chatting' he then proceeded to utter about 'their type always being like that' and this may have been racist as the ladies were Asian. The rest of the line thought he was an arse.

I also hate chair hogs that sit round the pool without swimming and ignoring parents who want a seat by the pool to watch their kids swim.

I also cant stand people who tell others how to tip/ boast about how much they tip. Gosh if you are so generous you could donate to charity too and buy fair trade.

Edited by Velvetwater

Practically run me over with their scooter / power chair, like just because they have one, I'm supposed to automatically jump out of their way.

I completely agree. On one of our last cruises, there was a woman who used a scooter. During the past cruisers party, this older gentleman stepped out into the isle, and here comes this crazy woman on her scooter. My husband stepped out in front of the older man, so he wouldn't get hit by the scooter. My husband took the hit and grabbed the handle bars so he wouldn't fall over. The woman said, "Move! I have to get down front first!" My husband politely said, "No, you will wait for this gentleman, who was here first."

She tried to move forward into my husband, but he held his ground until the older man was safely away.

Later that night, we saw her scooter unattended in the MDR, and we thought about letting the air out of her tires.... we didn't do it, but a person can dream. :D

Hubby and I were enjoying a drink on the lido of the Legend when an older couple came and plonked their ash tray on our table and proceeded to smoke.It took all my strength to not argue so we got up and left as I shot her a look and muttered what a bunch of twats as I walked off.I hate smokers in most places but that really took the biscuit.

Same trip we were waiting for anytime dining and some ladies were chatting and did not see the waiters calling them forward so a rude guy near the back shouted 'get a move on a stop chatting' he then proceeded to utter about 'their type always being like that' and this may have been racist as the ladies were Asian. The rest of the line thought he was an arse.

I also hate chair hogs that sit round the pool without swimming and ignoring parents who want a seat by the pool to watch their kids swim.

I also cant stand people who tell others how to tip/ boast about how much they tip. Gosh if you are so generous you could donate to charity too and buy fair trade.

FYI since this is predominately North American board - "twat" means the same thing in North America that "fanny" means in the UK. :eek:

I was wondering if anybody has some stories from their Royal Caribbean cruises (or any cruise lines) about passengers that have been rude and acted unruly.

Here are five stories of some random things that people have done onboard various cruise ships to inconvenience or be rude to others.

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2014/01/cruise-ship-mischief-the-things-passengers-do-that-irritate-me.html

The one that irritates me the most would be the elevator story. This article was not written out of angry or complaining, but out of humor at some common things that people have done before.

What have you seen or heard about onboard a cruise ship?

I hope to read some interesting and funny stories!

A couple of instances for us:

1. Carnival Destiny: I had just gotten my food from the buffet and found an outside table where I was waiting for DD to finish getting her food to come and join me. There was just one empty chair at our table for DD to sit at. A teenage girl came running up to the table next to ours to join her friends grabbed the chair and moved it over to their table without even asking me if someone was using it. I gave her the Mom look and said "Thank you for taking my daughters chair. That was really polite of you." She just ignored me and looked away. I then went over to an empty table about 4 tables away and got DD one that was sitting there.

2. Carnival Glory: I was waiting in line at the buffet to get my breakfast when an older gentlemen came up in line behind. He looked up at me and said "A tall one aren't you?" He then proceeded to tell me which items he would like to have expecting me to get them for him. I'd like to think I'm a nice person so I helped out with the cereal and couple other items....for which I didn't even get a please or thank you. People think young people are rude, but I've run across older ones who are just as bad if not worse than some young people I have met.

3. Carnival Glory: DH was in line at the grill when a guy rudely cut in front in of him to get some fries and threw a hot dog on DH's plate....that one still baffles us.

4. Carnival Freedom: We had a table of 4 in traditional dining. The table next to us was also a table of 4 for two teen boys and their parents. The boys always showed up for dinner on time. Their parents were always 30-45 minutes late....which not only held the boys up from eating but caused havoc with our poor waiters.

5. Just about every ship we have been on....DS is 6'7 1/2", DD is 5'11 1/2", DH is 6'5" and I am 5'9". We seem to draw stairs whenever we walk through a dining room....and it is not because of our attire :rolleyes:.

FYI since this is predominately North American board - "twat" means the same thing in North America that "fanny" means in the UK. :eek:

It means the same in the UK as it does in America :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I completely agree. On one of our last cruises, there was a woman who used a scooter. During the past cruisers party, this older gentleman stepped out into the isle, and here comes this crazy woman on her scooter. My husband stepped out in front of the older man, so he wouldn't get hit by the scooter. My husband took the hit and grabbed the handle bars so he wouldn't fall over. The woman said, "Move! I have to get down front first!" My husband politely said, "No, you will wait for this gentleman, who was here first."

She tried to move forward into my husband, but he held his ground until the older man was safely away.

Later that night, we saw her scooter unattended in the MDR, and we thought about letting the air out of her tires.... we didn't do it, but a person can dream. :D

Like someone else reported they did last year, if anyone on a scooter intentionally (NOT accidentally) runs into me, I will take the keys and disappear with them to guest services and file a complaint.

Like someone else reported they did last year, if anyone on a scooter intentionally (NOT accidentally) runs into me, I will take the keys and disappear with them to guest services and file a complaint.

I like that idea. Just to give a teeny bit of justification for scooters running into people I'll use Disneyland as an example. I can't tell you how many people walk at an angle, stop to chat without thinking about the hordes of people behind them or walk to the right while looking to the left. I can be stationary and have people walk into me and give ME the dirty look. Also, most scooters don't have brakes. You release the handle and it comes to a stop but there is some extra movement, especially on a hill. They have a braking system - not brakes. So, again using Disneyland, if someone comes up within inches of me and we are on a hill, they should expect to get hit as my scooter back drops a couple of inches. I once was trying to get by these 3 little kids that kept running in front of me. I waited and slowly started forward (over about a 3 minute period). They ran in front of me again. Finally I said "really?!". The mother looked at me and said, "what is wrong with you, they are just having fun". I said "oh, I don't blame the kids, I blame YOU for not teaching your child manners. I'm just trying to get past them without hitting them".

I was in a hotel last weekend with my four grandchildren, 3, 5, 6 and 8. I said "elevator rules please". That meant everyone stands back to let the people off before they enter and if you are on the elevator and someone gets off "have a nice day" they all yell.

I like that idea. Just to give a teeny bit of justification for scooters running into people I'll use Disneyland as an example. I can't tell you how many people walk at an angle, stop to chat without thinking about the hordes of people behind them or walk to the right while looking to the left. I can be stationary and have people walk into me and give ME the dirty look. Also, most scooters don't have brakes. You release the handle and it comes to a stop but there is some extra movement, especially on a hill. They have a braking system - not brakes. So, again using Disneyland, if someone comes up within inches of me and we are on a hill, they should expect to get hit as my scooter back drops a couple of inches. I once was trying to get by these 3 little kids that kept running in front of me. I waited and slowly started forward (over about a 3 minute period). They ran in front of me again. Finally I said "really?!". The mother looked at me and said, "what is wrong with you, they are just having fun". I said "oh, I don't blame the kids, I blame YOU for not teaching your child manners. I'm just trying to get past them without hitting them".

I was in a hotel last weekend with my four grandchildren, 3, 5, 6 and 8. I said "elevator rules please". That meant everyone stands back to let the people off before they enter and if you are on the elevator and someone gets off "have a nice day" they all yell.

There are some parents who really need to teach their children to be respectful in general. Saying "having fun" is about the same as saying "let kids be kids".

Yes, I'm always careful to not step in front of a scooter and I do watch out for that slide back. I know they can't stop on a dime, and try to stay out of the way. The ones that get me are the riders that use them as battering rams. I have seen it, but fortunately, have not been a victim of it so far.

Yes! Also sitting on the stairs. On my last cruise disembarkation was delayed by 8 hours due to fog. It was about 45 minutes prior to the self assist debarkation and the bathroom near my disembarkation point was out of order. There were people sitting on the stairs and the elevators were blocked. I may not have been so polite about getting through to use the restroom when several excuse mes were ignored.:o

That is why I always say, "Excuse You">

My story seems to be mild compared to most of the ones listed.

I find the groups of Pool Walkers rude. On Celebrity Solstice, in the "Adult" area, the pool is almost large enough for those of us who wish to, for lap swimming. Everytime we tried to swim laps, there seemed to be the groups of "Pool Walkers" who walked side by side, three or four to a group. When you get two or three groups doing this, it totally makes the pool useless for anything other than walking. But if you are not part of their group, you can't even do that.

I guess this comes down to people actually realizing that there are other people in the world. (and in this case, there are others that might enjoy the pool as well.

I'll go along with the rest, but if you've got children in the pool that need watching, then YOU need to be either in the pool with them or sitting on the edge - remember those two little boys a couple of weeks ago? Strangers had to pull them from the pool and one didn't make it.

A couple of instances for us:

1. Carnival Destiny: I had just gotten my food from the buffet and found an outside table where I was waiting for DD to finish getting her food to come and join me. There was just one empty chair at our table for DD to sit at. A teenage girl came running up to the table next to ours to join her friends grabbed the chair and moved it over to their table without even asking me if someone was using it. I gave her the Mom look and said "Thank you for taking my daughters chair. That was really polite of you." She just ignored me and looked away. I then went over to an empty table about 4 tables away and got DD one that was sitting there.

2. Carnival Glory: I was waiting in line at the buffet to get my breakfast when an older gentlemen came up in line behind. He looked up at me and said "A tall one aren't you?" He then proceeded to tell me which items he would like to have expecting me to get them for him. I'd like to think I'm a nice person so I helped out with the cereal and couple other items....for which I didn't even get a please or thank you. People think young people are rude, but I've run across older ones who are just as bad if not worse than some young people I have met.

3. Carnival Glory: DH was in line at the grill when a guy rudely cut in front in of him to get some fries and threw a hot dog on DH's plate....that one still baffles us.

4. Carnival Freedom: We had a table of 4 in traditional dining. The table next to us was also a table of 4 for two teen boys and their parents. The boys always showed up for dinner on time. Their parents were always 30-45 minutes late....which not only held the boys up from eating but caused havoc with our poor waiters.

5. Just about every ship we have been on....DS is 6'7 1/2", DD is 5'11 1/2", DH is 6'5" and I am 5'9". We seem to draw stairs whenever we walk through a dining room....and it is not because of our attire :rolleyes:.

If I'm watching you it's because I'm a bit envious - I'm 5' 3". :D Or "vertically challenged" as my 6 ft sons say.

My story seems to be mild compared to most of the ones listed.

I find the groups of Pool Walkers rude. On Celebrity Solstice, in the "Adult" area, the pool is almost large enough for those of us who wish to, for lap swimming. Everytime we tried to swim laps, there seemed to be the groups of "Pool Walkers" who walked side by side, three or four to a group. When you get two or three groups doing this, it totally makes the pool useless for anything other than walking. But if you are not part of their group, you can't even do that.

I guess this comes down to people actually realizing that there are other people in the world. (and in this case, there are others that might enjoy the pool as well.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Pool Walkers but if you mean people in the pool walking around in it they are just as entitled to do that as you are to do laps. Who knows, maybe they are thinking about the people that kept trying to do laps when they were trying to cool down in the water and just relax. I guess this comes down to people actually realizing that there are other people in the world that like to be in the water to cool down, exercise or for therapy and can't swim. (and in this case, there are others that might enjoy the pool as well).

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

Tee Hee:D

Scooters. I understand that some folks need them i say rock n roll. But on a hawaiian cruise on the spirit one lady became known as "scooter girl." She left dining early to be up front at all shows and blocked folks. She would park at the disco and get up and dance to the astonishment of all. She had to be in everything ah scooter girl.

But i also was in a group with a couple of guestsi in wheel chairs. Amazing how folks seem unaware that carnival has a few empty spaces at a few rows for the chairs. The able body snap up the seats next. Even removing cards reminding they are for family of handicapped who bring them to the show.

But, I will keep it to my biggest pet peeves by the rudest passengers.

Pushing their way onto the elevator you were waiting patiently for.

Cutting in front of you at the buffet almost knocking your plate out of your hands.

Allowing doors to close in your face, instead of holding them open for you.

Screaming in your ear while they are standing behind you to get someone's attention who is in front of you.

Banging on your cabin door.

Playing music so loud on their balcony which is next to yours you can't hold a conversation.

Allowing their children to run around unsupervised and causing havoc

Coughing or sneezing in your face.

I could go on, but I'll stop here

Laurie;

I like your idea.

I was rammed from behind while watching the champagne water fall. The driver then turned right and struck a waiter carrying a tray of champagne glasses knocking them into several other passengers. The driver then rode away at top speed with out saying anything to me or the waiter. It was very apparent that the driver was just ramming a hole through the people standing by the rail.

After checking to find out if anyone was hurt from the broken glass I discovered that I had blood running down my ankle from the impact. So off to the cabin I went to get my first aid kit. (Have nice little scar to remind me)

At the time I told my wife if I am ever attacked from behind like this again I will give that persons battery its first swimming lesson.

Now, if it happens again they will lose their keys as you suggested.:D

Bob

I'll go along with the rest, but if you've got children in the pool that need watching, then YOU need to be either in the pool with them or sitting on the edge - remember those two little boys a couple of weeks ago? Strangers had to pull them from the pool and one didn't make it.

I couldn't have said it better. If your kids are in the pool... you need to be in or near the pool, as in dangeling your feet so you don't have to jump over or around someone to get to them if they need help. Watching em used to mean you could reach them if you needed to ....especially around water.

Laurie;

I like your idea.

I was rammed from behind while watching the champagne water fall. The driver then turned right and struck a waiter carrying a tray of champagne glasses knocking them into several other passengers. The driver then rode away at top speed with out saying anything to me or the waiter. It was very apparent that the driver was just ramming a hole through the people standing by the rail.

After checking to find out if anyone was hurt from the broken glass I discovered that I had blood running down my ankle from the impact. So off to the cabin I went to get my first aid kit. (Have nice little scar to remind me)

At the time I told my wife if I am ever attacked from behind like this again I will give that persons battery its first swimming lesson.

Now, if it happens again they will lose their keys as you suggested.:D

Bob

Or give their keys a swimming lesson.....better yet give the driver a swimming lesson....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

This straddles the line between rude and disgusting. Last year, our first RCL cruise was on the Oasis. I was pleasantly surprised to find jars of condiments (ketchup, mustard, jams, small jars of other unidentifiable spreads) on a self serve stand at the edge of the buffet. This was a pleasant surprise after searching high and low for the buffet ketchup dispensers on many Princess ships or begging a server for ketchup. Pleasant, only until I sat by a man eating breakfast, repeatedly dipping his dirty and well used bread knife into the jar and spreading the condiment onto his food, then using his knife and fork to shovel in the food, and dipping the knife back into the jar. I didn't have breakfast that day, needless to say. :eek: And suddenly felt grateful for Princess' hard to access large condiment dispensers which are utensil proof. Blech.

Mine's quite minor actually, but it did upset me on our cruise, and is the first thing I think of when I think of that RCL cruise.We had been wandering outside on a windy sea day, came in and sat on the 13th floor, grabbed a quick drink before going down to cabin to change for dinner (just into the WJ). We sat by ourselves, there was noone else in the area, there were ppl in the two segregated areas for the club members.

We had our drink, then went out to catch the lift down. Now the lift to the 13th floor takes forever, so we waited for awhile. Doors open and we wander over to get in, the doors to special clubroom open and one large loud lady in a glittery gold/silver top comes out, with 3 other people (1 female, 2 males), the large glittery lady pushes through to get in first, obviously didn't want to wait for us underlings - didn't really bother us, we just kinda grinned at each other, and we happily got in and thankfully we were closest to doors of lift so easy to exit

Anyways this large glittery lady, obviously had tickets on herself, and thought she'd show off to her friends, perhaps where she is from she can say things and have no come back - doesn't where we come from - you say something, or say it in a demeaning way - you better believe you'll get a response!

Now keep in mind we had come in from a walk around the ship, and it was windy, so I know my hair wasn't that fantastic.... Large glittery lady says in such a rude tone... oh look, I'm so glad that SOME people don't feel the need to dress up". It was so rude the way she said it, and laughed snidely to her little friends.

We let her know we were on the way to our room to change for tea, and had been walking the deck, she kinda looked down and gave a sly smile and said something like "oh well really".. Condescending look on her face...Hubby said something about being sure to put his penguin suit on for any future walks on deck, whilst I just told her she was the rudest passenger I had ever met, and as I left the lift, I felt bad for the casually dressed couple who got in the lift to take our place - and the time of this was only about 6pm - she was so rude, I could've quite happily slapped the smug look off her face.

This straddles the line between rude and disgusting. Last year, our first RCL cruise was on the Oasis. I was pleasantly surprised to find jars of condiments (ketchup, mustard, jams, small jars of other unidentifiable spreads) on a self serve stand at the edge of the buffet. This was a pleasant surprise after searching high and low for the buffet ketchup dispensers on many Princess ships or begging a server for ketchup. Pleasant, only until I sat by a man eating breakfast, repeatedly dipping his dirty and well used bread knife into the jar and spreading the condiment onto his food, then using his knife and fork to shovel in the food, and dipping the knife back into the jar. I didn't have breakfast that day, needless to say. :eek: And suddenly felt grateful for Princess' hard to access large condiment dispensers which are utensil proof. Blech.

I'd have called the ******* on that. Disgusting pig!!!

I find the rudest behavior is when I see scooters and wheelchairs waiting patiently for an elevator and able bodied individuals rush ahead of them when the elevator door opens. The reason this irritates me so much, is because these people often have to wait a long time any way and they don't have the option of taking the stairs. :(

Recently had this experience on Royal Princess. Elevators are small and seemed to be always crowded. Wheelchairs had to wait much longer than usual to get on.