Carnivalization of Celebrity??

Seapoint

Well then go. What's stopping you? Are you afraid of being a newbie on another cruise line? Gotta have that "status" to feel special?

We are happy to say we just returned from our 14 day cruise on the Eclipse.

Celebrity is better than ever. This was our 60th cruise, 10th on Celebrity and I have to say I have no idea what so of you grumpy old people are talking about? Do you just love to find fault in the little things that do not matter. We are both 60 and if anything the music at the pool was a bit to soft for us.

The wine and cheese with music on the lawn was a nice touch and new for us.

We enjoy being Elite only for the laundry and internet and find most of the Elite members functions a waste of time with people that feel they should be treated better than the rest of the full paying guests. I would love it if those of you that think the music was loud would just go to Holland American and cruise with the rest of the Old Minded crowd.

I find this interesting, particularly since it is such a different situation than we found on the Equinox Fen 10-21.

Last year, on Reflection, we did find the music in the martini bar too loud - loud enough that a couple of times the waiter couldn't hear us to take our order. We asked for it to be turned down, so that we could hear the person next to us, and it was for a short time.

This year on Equinox, the music was background music. There was music in the atrium a number of times, for about 45 minutes at a time, and it could be heard up the column each time, but didn't seem as overpowering as some cruise have been. There was music by the pool a number of times, but it was not offensive as you indicate. The guitar playing soloist was nice when he played at various places, as was a duet.

I wonder what the difference was?

Can anyone who has been on either the Eclipse with the 14-night sailings or the Sillouette tell us how those ships were?

Of course, if we don't like the noise, we usually just go find another location. We've been known to hang out in the back of the Oceanview at night with our books, having a drink every now and then.

We did the Jan.25 14 day Caribbean trip. We really weren't bothered by the music. The loud areas were outside pool areas/night club/around the Martini bar. Around the Martini bar it was more loud people than loud music. This is a natural occurance. People will start talking loudeer if they feel they can't be heard. the music in the "solarium" area(inside pool area)was more akin to a spa. You know ..that electronic soft stuff,only somewhat louder.

We are happy to say we just returned from our 14 day cruise on the Eclipse.

Celebrity is better than ever. This was our 60th cruise, 10th on Celebrity and I have to say I have no idea what so of you grumpy old people are talking about? Do you just love to find fault in the little things that do not matter. We are both 60 and if anything the music at the pool was a bit to soft for us.

The wine and cheese with music on the lawn was a nice touch and new for us.

We enjoy being Elite only for the laundry and internet and find most of the Elite members functions a waste of time with people that feel they should be treated better than the rest of the full paying guests. I would love it if those of you that think the music was loud would just go to Holland American and cruise with the rest of the Old Minded crowd.

We loved our Jan.25 trip on Eclipse. We never found the music too loud. We plan on hopefully doing it again next winter.

I also recently returned from a two week Eclipse cruise and the music was great and the levels were fine. I have, however, been on some of the cruises where the music was absolutely blasting us out of the place. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it wasn't a problem. I think they got the message.

I also recently returned from a two week Eclipse cruise and the music was great and the levels were fine. I have, however, been on some of the cruises where the music was absolutely blasting us out of the place. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it wasn't a problem. I think they got the message.

I have experienced the same. The volumes are now at a tolerable level compared to what they were.

🍸🎤

Sad to say but it seems the Carnivalization process is speeding up!

In recent weeks the Grand Brunch has been discontinued, to be replaced by apparently a cotton candy machine in the regular buffet, and the activities staff has been cut from 6 to 2. At the same time, I have not heard of any modern luxury enhancements or exciting innovations.

And, of course, you have pictures showing this, correct....?

I have not seen (maybe I missed them) many complaints about noise levels on the two week Eclipse trip. Most of the noise complaints centered on the one week or shorter trips. Maybe Celebrity has gotten the message, but I don't take what happened on the two week Eclipse as proof of that. Still, I'm glad that you found that music levels are (still) fine on Eclipse.

Thom

Thom, I have very seldom been on a one week or shorter cruise so the ones that I have experienced that were loud were longer cruises. Most of the cruises are fine, but there was a period of time where they obviously were thinking the louder the better. Nothing wrong with a little loud music at the appropriate place and time, but when you can't hear the person next to you even when they are shouting, it was time to lower it just a bit.

Thom, I have very seldom been on a one week or shorter cruise so the ones that I have experienced that were loud were longer cruises. Most of the cruises are fine, but there was a period of time where they obviously were thinking the louder the better. Nothing wrong with a little loud music at the appropriate place and time, but when you can't hear the person next to you even when they are shouting, it was time to lower it just a bit.
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to hear about the improvement. Thom

From a sound engineers perspective - "loud is beautiful if its clean"

Loud is generally mistaken for distortion, which is the thing that damages hearing and gives discomfort. A good quality sound system, particularily the speakers, set up correctly, would allow a person to hear what another is saying clearly. Loud does not have to be a conversation killer.

I am not a sound engineer, but as a physicist this does not sound correct to me. US Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Occupational Safety Noise Standards deal strictly with A-weighted sound levels (dBA) for various time durations. OSHA makes no reference whatsoever to distortion when dealing with potential damage to a person's hearing. I agree that distortion is annoying, but I'd like references to back up your statement that it is distortion that damages hearing, and by inference that loudness is not the significant factor in hearing damage.

Thom

I am not a sound engineer, but as a physicist this does not sound correct to me. US Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Occupational Safety Noise Standards deal strictly with A-weighted sound levels (dBA) for various time durations. OSHA makes no reference whatsoever to distortion when dealing with potential damage to a person's hearing. I agree that distortion is annoying, but I'd like references to back up your statement that it is distortion that damages hearing, and by inference that loudness is not the significant factor in hearing damage.

Thom

Yes I agree that there are set levels for safety and comfort, but any visit to a discotheque (maybe a visit to the pool area :D (please dont flame me) is likely to exceed those limits. I have installed many sound systems where the DJ keeps ramping up the level as his hearing becomes accustomed to it and so it goes on. If you ever experience "whistling" in your ears, this can be achieved by having distortion at lower levels and of course by the volume set far too high - hence it can be louder if its a "clean" sound. Distortion produces a disproportionate amount of high frequencies that are harmful to hearing. This is caused usually by overloading the audio chain - the speakers are the weakest link - followed by amplification - followed by signal processing I was not inferring that loudness wasnt a significant factor, as obviously it is but that the perception of loudness can be influenced by distortion. My point was that as the sound levels are either set by Miami and adjusted by those not qualified with appropriate equipment, as well as operated by DJ's who's unaware of the levels, then a good quality sound system would at least help. Sound levels are very subjective and age related - the older - the less sensitive. I have been on a dancefloor having a normal conversation whilst measuring 110dB (rock concert level) because it was "clean". (I was in my thirties). The recommendations for this level are that I should wearing ear protection after 1.5 minutes . No-one at a concert is going to do that, but the PA suppliers usually provide enough speaker power to prevent overloading. Judging by the size if the speakers in the Martini bar - they are simply not man enough to handle the volumes required of them - and the band by the pool have to run their minimal speakers near to the max as they are outside and again are not man enough to deliver the sound level and so will produce harmful distortion.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/distortion-auditory-perception-by-sensorineural-1134

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-09-23/business/fi-9367_1_cerwin-vega-speakers

This is an interesting article regarding loud music - Perhaps X have read this " The seductive appeal of loud music"

http://cec.sonus.ca/econtact/9_4/blesser.html

Thom

This article may be more precise for you

http://www.tractionsound.com/support/distorted_soundsystem_hearing_damage.htm

I have not seen (maybe I missed them) many complaints about noise levels on the two week Eclipse trip. Most of the noise complaints centered on the one week or shorter trips. Maybe Celebrity has gotten the message, but I don't take what happened on the two week Eclipse as proof of that. Still, I'm glad that you found that music levels are (still) fine on Eclipse.

Thom

On our two week Eclipse cruise in April the music was loud from the Entertainment Court on level 4 and in the Martini Bar area for maybe 1 hour before dinner and some nights for 1 hour after dinner (late seating).We found this very fun and at no time could the 6 of us not hold a pleasant conversation. The area was packed like I have never seen before so I would have to say the rest of guests on the ship loved it as well. The wine bar just across from the Martini bar was very quiet and some nights we enjoyed this. The point is there are areas to go if you do not want loud music. Celebrity tried hard to offer something for everyone to enjoy.