Tired of the Bashing

bphman

We recently cruised on RCL Allure of the Seas for seven nights in OV room for 565.00 pp plus tax. Going on RCL Freedom of the Seas for seven nights in promenade room ( Carnival doesn't have promenade ) for 369.00 pp plus tax. While we enjoy Carnival ( seven cruises ) there are cheap prices out there if you take the time to look. Carnival is NOT always the cheapest. Check it out, you may be surprised.

Yes, it's unfortunate that there is Carnival Bashing by people who have never actually cruised on Carnival.Yet, almost all cruise lines have those who do this as well:

HAL as "Floating Nursing Homes"

NCCL as "Floating Amusement Parks"

NCL as a "Free to dress Sloppy cruises"

Celebrity as "Snobby Ships"

Costa as "Floating Ashtrays"

The list could go on & on. It's not just Carnival. :o

LuLu

~~~

lol you nailed the stereotypes! let me throw in the comments made by those who judge based upon 2nd-hand accounts of a decade old sailing:rolleyes: or when they compare a brand new ship with all the bells & whistles with a much smaller/older ship.:confused:

Taking my 8th Carnival cruise this June. My daughter and I are both teachers and therefore, not rolling in money.;) CCL offers ports that we can drive to easily as well as affordable cruises. They are the only cruise line we have used and I don't see us changing in the near future. I personally have little to complain about with CCL.

Not to bash any line but its pretty much a fact that if my royal cruise would of been my first cruise I might not of ever cruised again.

I do believe their better now with their freedom & oasis class ships but never the less our one RC cruised was not good.

That being said after my Dec 2013 Liberty cruise I'm ready to try something different as I'm seeking something new and carnival is the same old same old but not in a bad way. As you can see I didn't get to far as I received a free cabin from carnival so after this Breeze cruise it's on to the Allure and other lines for me.

Edited by Midwestgal

Been on Carnival many times and I don't feel bad when someone bashes Carnival, Princess or any other cruise line. If they're telling of their experience so what. I hate the Inspiration and will never get on that ship again. I never said I wouldn't sail Carnival again, just that my experience was not a good one. There's also a policy I don't like with Carnival and that's allowing smoking on balconies. Those who smoke like it, those who don't smoke don't like it. I don't let others opinions sway me as to which cruise line to cruise on. Bash away, it's just an opinion.

I told my buddy that my wife and I are going on a cruise this spring. He bashed the whole cruise concept and why we put ourselves through that. I asked through what? ( He has never been on a cruise). Told him what cruises have to offer and how fun they are. Then he mentioned about the cruise ship running aground in Europe, the stranded at sea incidents and the nerovirus thing that happened. I asked him when his next vacation was. He told me. I asked him how you getting there. He said flying. I asked him how many plane crashes has there been since he was born. He was silent.. and there you go. Stuff happens. Well, I didnt really say "stuff"

Personly, I like the waterslides on the Spirit class ships. I can only immagine the enhancement on the Legend.

But you having been away for 5 years, you have surely not experienced the DJ playing music at the point of overmodulation.

Exactly, and that more than anything is what would make me pause before rebooking on CCL.

Edited by pspercy

I've been on only 2 cruises so far. Both have been with Carnival. Our last one was on the Liberty just last month. We had a blast. I loved the new menu. The entertainment in the main theater is lacking but everywhere else on the ship there was something to do.

The other thing i noticed was when we were in port surrounded by other cruise lines. Our ship was by far the best looking. All the others looked a little dirty and old on the outside.

Some people you just can't please.

Does not seem to be slowing you down. It is amazing that someone posts a thread about bashing and right away people start jsut that.

You said it. Meh to each his or her own. I just don't see the point in spending time hating on a cruiseline. Or anything for that matter. People like what they like.

A lot of people will say that the mass market lines are more similar than different. That is true to an extent but they are different. Our family has tried different cruise lines and we like them all. I appreciate Carnival for the upbeat atmosphere and long list of activities for my 3 sons. We tend to do week long cruises and we have not witnessed any of the debauchery you sometimes read about.

As far as price, it is true that inexpensive cruises can be found with the other mass market lines. I am trying Princess in 2 weeks and it is the best deal I have ever found for a cruise.

I think that when someone is bashing a product that they have no personal experience with but they perceive it to be inferior, they are doing it just to make themselves feel superior. If that makes sense. I guess what I am saying is it speaks more to the character and personality of the basher. Some need to find ways of boosting there hollow self esteem.

I don't know if this is appropriate but I am getting so fed up with Carnival bashing. We have sailed Carnival 5 times although not in the past 5 years. We have always enjoyed our cruises and felt they were the best bargains at sea.

I will be the first one to admit that we were quite hesitant to sail Carnival the first time because of the undeserved reputation. And, what amazes me is that most of the people who criticize Carnival have never sailed her. I read a thread regarding the "Carnivalization of Celebrity" regarding blasting of music on Celebrity which I never experienced on Carnival.

Every line has problems and each ship within a line is a different experience. Our only repeat ship was on the Liberty and the two sailings were totally different. What I like about Carnival is the liveliness of the ship, the food which is often berated, the comfort of the cabins, and the non-stop entertainment. Carnival has a great product at a great price.

Our tastes have changed over the years. We no longer have traveling children who need the high level of activity. And, not to sound like a snob, we have gravitated to smaller, relaxing and more upscale ships. With that being said, there is no reason to bash Carnival. It hurt me deeply to hear about the unfortunate events that occurred with her ships over the past few years. Nothing is perfect and I believe that these events were great learning experiences, not only for Carnival but for the whole cruise industry which is adopting many of their changes. I am sure I will be back some day but, for now, I will only look back at the fond memories I had with Carnival.

A lot of cheerleading for someone who hasn't sailed Carnival in 5 years. Many changes since you last sailed.

Exactly, and that more than anything is what would make me pause before rebooking on CCL.

Then don't hang out by the lido pool. Simple solution to me. We used the aft adults only pool on the Liberty more often than not and it was fine.

Edited by ThirstyFrog203

IMHO, although there's the occasional inappropriate comment, I see a lot more well founded criticism, (sometimes brutally honest) than bashing.

We are all different. For some, Carnival is the perfect cruise line. For others, it's a nightmare. Then there's the rest of us, who love some things about Carnival and dislike (sometimes hate) others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with this. I am not loyal to any one line. I have cruised on 4 different ones and look to book on Princess in 2015 for an Alaskan cruise. I look at the criticisms and see a lot of folks with what I deem to be valid complaints. Like the music being too loud around the pool deck, not liking the DJ's, unhappy with the new menus, etc.

I have been on these boards since 2005 and on CCL, RCL, NCL and Celebrity and see complaints on all of them. There are bashers on all of them, it is not just on this board. Some people just can't accept that there is not a "one size fits all cruise line". There are different ones offering different things for different people.

You don't like what Carnival offers then look at the others, compare them and see which one fits you best. Just because you don't like the product that Carnival is providing that doesn't give you the right to criticize others because they do and to me that is what the bashers are doing. They are really criticizing the other members on the board rather than the cruise line itself. To me it is like the Ford truck vs the Chevy truck debate, it seems that most think those who drive the other are stupid when they are probably pretty similar if you get down to the actual product itself.

I agree with this. I am not loyal to any one line. I have cruised on 4 different ones and look to book on Princess in 2015 for an Alaskan cruise. I look at the criticisms and see a lot of folks with what I deem to be valid complaints. Like the music being too loud around the pool deck, not liking the DJ's, unhappy with the new menus, etc.

I have been on these boards since 2005 and on CCL, RCL, NCL and Celebrity and see complaints on all of them. There are bashers on all of them, it is not just on this board. Some people just can't accept that there is not a "one size fits all cruise line". There are different ones offering different things for different people.

You don't like what Carnival offers then look at the others, compare them and see which one fits you best. Just because you don't like the product that Carnival is providing that doesn't give you the right to criticize others because they do and to me that is what the bashers are doing. They are really criticizing the other members on the board rather than the cruise line itself. To me it is like the Ford truck vs the Chevy truck debate, it seems that most think those who drive the other are stupid when they are probably pretty similar if you get down to the actual product itself.

I sail a number of cruise lines for variety and to compare. I would sail any of them again if the particular sailing met my itinerary and cost preferences at that time.

I believe that fair comparisons of specific aspects of each line are appropriate. The sum of the aspects can lead to a overall comparsion of the cruise lines. Each person has different preferences and tastes and is entitled to their own opinion. That doesn't mean that any of the lines do not have an overall good product.

I don't understand why some posters here are so attached to a specific cruise line to the point that they become snobby and proliferate the stereotypes. It's as if they have to use these stereotypes to validate their choice. It's not necessary. It's your choice based on your preferences and opinion. It is not a license to bash those who choose differently.

Example: One who prefers in more casual (or more formal) MDR dress and/or cusine can should express that preference (and why) and not use the snob vs slob analogies. They degrade the discussion and cause the poster to lose credibility.

Donna, I mostly agree with you and Tapi. CCL is a business, not a family member. The product has changed since our 1st cruise, but so has the other line we sailed, RCCL. If everyone loved the same line, most of us couldn't find a vacant cabin or we couldn't afford to sail that line due to supply and demand prices.

If someone wants to criticize any cruise line, do so based on personal experiences, not heresay. DW and I have had only 2 cruises, I would describe as perfect in every detail. These are:

1. Our 1st cruise ever i 1992 on RCCL Nordic Empress. 25th Anniversary and we were just blown away. Left us wondering why we never took a cruise before this.

2. Our 1st cruise on CCL Liberty in 2008. Just an unbelievable cruise.

So, based on these 2 cruises does that mean the other 21 cruises have been bad, absolutely not. Some have just been better than others.

I mentioned to a co-worker that I had a cruise booked for this summer. She asked me what line and I told her Carnival. She then tells me how she hates Carnival and RC is so much better. I asked her what about Carnival she didn't like. She tells me that she has actually never sailed Carnival, but has heard things. I asked her what she loves about RC. She then tells me she has never actually been on a cruise!

Edited by cherbear4000

I mentioned to a co-worker that I had a cruise booked for this summer. She asked me what line and I told her Carnival. She then tells me how she hates Carnival and RC is so much better. I asked her what about Carnival she didn't like. She tells me that she has actually never sailed Carnival, but has heard things. I asked her what she loves about RC. She then tells me she has never actually been on a cruise!

LOL. Sounds about right. And there's a word for that. PREJUDICE.

I agree. All the negative comments are hurting the industry as a whole. I was hesitant to try Carnival due to the bashing. Three sailings later and I am still shocked at the value and opportunity they provide. I'm cruising 3 times a year now due to the great deals out there. On the Valor southern last month and many people were return guests from the same trip last year. I have 2 trips booked on RC, but I am already looking forward to doing the Carnival southern route again. I pay half as much on Carnival and go to the same ports and I can always find something great on the menu!

Thanks for the positive attitude. The negative people can stay on land.

The food was fine on our Carnival cruise a couple of years ago. We took DH's mother with us. The staff were fine. It's the fellow passengers we had trouble with. Due to DH's job at a community college, we can cruise only during school breaks. That means there are lots of students out of school at the same time--and they flock to Carnival in great numbers. Most were well behaved. I was actually impressed at how well they cleaned up for the one dress up night in the dining room. It's the behavior of a few that impacted our cruise.

The first incident was waking up to someone banging on our door the first night after midnight. DH jumped up thinking something must have happened to his mother next door. It turned out to be a drunk teenager who couldn't find his cabin.

A couple of nights later, we were woken up after midnight again. This time it was teenagers congregating in the corridor outside of our room and talking loudly. The teenagers and college aged kids also took over the pools and hot tubs on the ship.

Once we retire and can cruise at times when schools are in session, I'd consider going on Carnival again. Until then, we'll stick to Princess and Holland America primarily.

I sail a number of cruise lines for variety and to compare. I would sail any of them again if the particular sailing met my itinerary and cost preferences at that time.

I believe that fair comparisons of specific aspects of each line are appropriate. The sum of the aspects can lead to a overall comparsion of the cruise lines. Each person has different preferences and tastes and is entitled to their own opinion. That doesn't mean that any of the lines do not have an overall good product.

I don't understand why some posters here are so attached to a specific cruise line to the point that they become snobby and proliferate the stereotypes. It's as if they have to use these stereotypes to validate their choice. It's not necessary. It's your choice based on your preferences and opinion. It is not a license to bash those who choose differently.

Example: One who prefers in more casual (or more formal) MDR dress and/or cusine can should express that preference (and why) and not use the snob vs slob analogies. They degrade the discussion and cause the poster to lose credibility.

This!!!!!!!!!

There is no doubt that there are good and bad things about all cruise lines. But to bash any particular line by hearsay alone is very narrow minded. We are Elite on Princess and Platinum on Carnival. Having said that, it's the main reason why we don't branch out and try other cruises. Although we did try an NCL cruise last year. I think we will stay with Carnival and Princess for awhile, both good product for good prices.

I have to agree here. We just returned from our first ever Carnival cruise and we were BLOWN AWAY. So many of the negative comments I heard about Carnival were undeserved. The food (which I heard the worst things about) was fabulous and the entertainment did not lack. And the service...WOW is all I can say.

As for the Flowrider comment...I am sure it is great when it's open. On our RCCL cruise, the thing was always closed and 75% of the time it was open, it was open for lessons that you pay extra for. It was ridiculous, really.

Yea the flowrider was on a set schedule, although when we cruised Carnival the slides were not always open either but as you said, why do these people feel it so necessary to slam Carnival... it's one thing on a forum but while on vacation... really?

Donna, I mostly agree with you and Tapi. CCL is a business, not a family member. The product has changed since our 1st cruise, but so has the other line we sailed, RCCL. If everyone loved the same line, most of us couldn't find a vacant cabin or we couldn't afford to sail that line due to supply and demand prices.

If someone wants to criticize any cruise line, do so based on personal experiences, not heresay. DW and I have had only 2 cruises, I would describe as perfect in every detail. These are:

1. Our 1st cruise ever i 1992 on RCCL Nordic Empress. 25th Anniversary and we were just blown away. Left us wondering why we never took a cruise before this.

2. Our 1st cruise on CCL Liberty in 2008. Just an unbelievable cruise.

So, based on these 2 cruises does that mean the other 21 cruises have been bad, absolutely not. Some have just been better than others.

Our first cruise was also Nordic Empress which I agreed to only after years of DW trying to get me to try cruising. Think we went about 1996 and were also blown away by cruising.

30 or so cruises later on both Carnival and RCCL, with most on Carnival, we have liked all of them but there are things we have not liked about both but we keep coming back.

They have all had to make major cutbacks to survive in this environment and nothing wrong with us giving our opinions of the changes.

Personally think the food on Carnival is still very good but think the entertainment quality has gone way downhill and we will be trying other cruse lines this year.

Just dont understand why some have to make personal attacks when they disagree with posters.

Everyone likes to take a shot at the top dog in every race.

As one once said in defense of Carnival

- they own 50% of the cruise industry, they pay cash for their ships, and they acquire other cruise lines like a hobby.

Sounds like they have to be doing something right! :D

I almost responded to the "Carnivalization" thread, because I thought it was a silly comparison (I've cruised both), so held my tongue. Cruising is an experience and everyone wants a different experience. I've only cruised twice and have fallen in love with it. There's nothing better than waking up in a different port most every day, and seeing places you never thought you would ever see.

For me, the reason that I like Carnival is that in my personal experience, people were friendlier on the ship, and more like the "real" people I hang out with in my life. People talked to each other, laughed and had fun. And the people watching was hilarious at times. That's what I want in a vacation.

My Celebrity experience was different, and I will just leave it at that. No need to bash another line because I personally didn't care for certain things on the ship. All I can say is Celebrity is "X'd" off my list.

Will I sail RC or other lines? Maybe and probably in the future. But I had a blast on my first Carnival cruise and didn't see all the negatives that people have been posting on these message boards. And I'm sailing Carnival again in a few weeks.

To each their own, but don't devalue someone else's experience because you might not have had the best time. Just choose another line.