Princess dress code failure

Irvine Traveler

On the Golden Princess on a October 2013 sailing a guest came to dinner (Late Seating, Traditional) wearing cut off shorts and a tank top. This was on day 2 of the cruise. I spoke to the head waiter and his response was "Its not my job to enforce the rules" When we returned home we mentioned the conversation in the customer survey. Princess called me and I explained the situation. We again sailed on the Golden Princess in November and the same head waiter was still allowing shorts and tank tops. His response again "Not My Job".

Iagree with Roses2.

The majority of those passengers who respect the Princess policies,should speak to staff in management positions regarding behavior that goes against the policies.

This refers to dress codes,no smoking on balconies or rowdy behavior in public places on the ship.

Why is it that so much of society today is led by the lowest common denominator?

People who respect manners and rules should decide to speak up !

As to a cruise line that has definite regulations regarding dress codes ,I might suggest Cunard where passengers are aaked to remain in formal dress for the evening.

At least ,it was that way when we sailed on the QM2 a few years ago.

At leaast that was Cunard's policy a few years ago when we sailed on the QM2.

I heartily agree about standards of dress on the MDR, but I do have to take issue with the post that feels that formal night needs to be adhered to all over the ship. Do you really think that those who don't participate in formal night need to hide out in their rooms on formal nights? That is taking it just a bit too far.

I'm in agreement with this. Considering that there are other dining venues for dinner which don't require formal wear, this should indicate to the "formal only from six on all over the ship" crowd, that you don't need to stay in your cabin if you're not dressing up. It would be nice if the head waiter enforces the dress code in the MDRs on those nights. And if someone didn't bother to read the info on the Princess website or listen to their TA (if they're new to Princess) and bring a suit or a cocktail dress (or better), the Horizon Court is still a nice place to eat (at least I think so, but then I'm not picky at these kind of things). Even the specialty restaurants has the smart casual code (even though I'm guessing some people might still dress up for those).

But as far as the shows or lounges, I think it's ridiculous to make those formal only. If someone eats at the poolside grill in shorts, why can't they go to a show? I remember my family coming in from the pool around 6-ish on a formal night a few cruises ago, and we stopped by our dining room to check the menu ahead of time. I noticed a few of the women in glitzy gowns giving us looks, and I thought that was rude (considering that our dining time was 8:15, I don't see the reason why I need to put on my dress that early).

We believe in following rules. So, on our last cruise, just last month, we decided before we packed, that we would not get dressed up for formal nights. (Saved on luggage space and we were just newly retired and didn't want to get dressed up!)

So, it was decided that on those nights for sure, we would either eat at the buffet or get a burger or pizza. On our last night, Valentine's day, we did go up to Sabatini's. We had brought slacks and nice shirts to wear.

For some reason, we never did get dressed up and go the the MDR for dinner the whole week. No problem. We enjoyed our cruise as you enjoyed your cruise too! We did mingle with the crowd on the first formal night in the piazza for the champagne fountain, and to get a glass of bubbly, but didn't go running down to have photos of us in our shorts and 'T's' with the captain. We felt we were sitting up in a tree and watching the fancy people for our perch. Everyone seemed to have a great time.

On some cruises, we will bring our dress up clothes and go to formal nights, but just didn't want to on this voyage. I love to have the rules informed and will follow them as well.

I would, however, on the cruises where we do not want to dress up, like to have the captain's parties not be formal only. We have not attended the ones when they fall on formal night and we have not brought our fancy clothes. And that is a party I like to go to. So, why do those event have to be formal only?

In the end, I do agree with the Op about following rules. We will leave the fancy dining to you when we want to just dress down. There is food in many places all over the ship to keep us happy on the dress up nights!

The head waiter/maître d' should do his job and enforce the expectations...because when he "avoids confrontation" he is also showing a lack of respect for the guests that do meet the expectations - and for his hard working staff.

I have seen some say that the "avoiding confrontation" is to stop having unhappy rejected passengers who then file complaints about the person who would not let them enter in inappropriate attire.

Maybe if those who object to the lack of enforcement make the complaints then the policies will start to get enforced.

Edited by caribill

On formal nights, of which I don't participate anymore after over 20 cruises, I spend time in the wheelhouse bar with people of all attire. Doesn't bother me. I really don't understand how the way I dress affects your dinner.

Are you offended because we aren't following the rules?!? You wanted to dress up. I didn't. Are you also offended if someone at the island party isn't wearing an Aloha shirt?!?

You're on a cruise. Lighten up.

Granted, I would never dare go into the main dinning room on formal nights if I wasn't dressed up. But I just don't understand why people get all upset.

(I am a neurotic rule follower!)

Granted, I would never dare go into the main dinning room on formal nights if I wasn't dressed up. But I just don't understand why people get all upset.

(I am a neurotic rule follower!)[/i]

I am as well and will continue to always dress in a tux on formal nights:). The biggest problem I see is that both sides want to attack the other for having an individual opinion. While it's okay to disagree, posters on both sides take it to the extreme, at times, in disagreing with an opposing view.....:):):)

Bob

“Formal night” refers to more than how one dresses for dinner. It is the atmosphere of the ship for the evening. How many passengers do you see showing up at the shows dressed in blue jeans, Tshirts, shorts, etc. after formal dinner is over?

I don't fully agree. I don't "do" formal night, as I refuse to bring a necktie on vacation, but formal night rules only apply in the dining room. If there is a bar outside the dining room, it doesn't apply there, for example. And given that the best shows are often given on formal night, it would not be reasonable to expect everyone to dress in order to view the show. That being said, I do try to keep out of the way. But I have the right to go anywhere on the ship dressed any way I please, with that one exception, and respecting the limits of dress that will not cause offense (I do not bring any risqué T shirts, for example, not that I own any).

And for those who do choose to do formal night, I think that any effort to comply should be sufficient. I agree times have changed, and a more comfortable style of dress for both sexes is generally acceptable in ways it would not have been in our salad days. Princess wants those passengers too, and is not minded to have a maitre d' cut them dead at the restaurant door. And they paid the same money everyone else did, and do not deserve to be embarrassed. Yes, I know, they can dress in the conventional formal way some would like, but they aren't going to do that. Money talks.

I should also note that I see on these boards an unwarranted concern for the actions of other people, whose actions do not affect the poster in the slightest. Dress, how they got to be Elite … are these things really going to affect the enjoyment of your vacation? Really?

Edited by Wehwalt

Generally I do enjoy dressing up on formal nights as it's about the only time I do. I don't wear a tux but I do wear a jacket and tie. My cruise coming up in April I don't plan to dress up on formal night but I also won't dine in the main dining room either. My personal feelings are, I don't like it when some one is in the main dining room and not dressed up, but I also don't let it ruin my entire cruise or the evening for that matter.

I am as well and will continue to always dress in a tux on formal nights:). The biggest problem I see is that both sides want to attack the other for having an individual opinion. While it's okay to disagree, posters on both sides take it to the extreme, at times, in disagreing with an opposing view.....:):):)

Bob

I agree about formal nights, but I really don't care what people wear on regular nights, except maybe for ripped clothing and dingy t-shirts. On our last cruise we didn't feel like dragging an extra suitcase for three formal nights, but when I told the servers that we wouldn't be there, they told us we could come as we are (I was wearing slacks and a sweater set). We didn't, we ate in HC on those nights. On our cruise next week I am wearing a sparkly cocktail dress. I hope I don't get comments or strange looks.

Denise

We were on the Crown Princess last month for the Super Bowl cruise. There was a rather large group on board from the Cleveland, OH area. On several night we noticed that men were being allowed in the MDR with shorts. This also occurred on formal night and I decided to ask the head waiter about it and his response was that since it was a special group on board to celebrate super bowl they weren't enforcing the dress rules. I asked him why the rest of the passengers weren't notified of this change and he had no answer for me. It is one thing when they wear a nice pair of dress shorts and a golf type shirt, but cargo shorts and a t-shirt don't belong in the dining room. If you don't want to follow the rules then sail on a line that can accommodate your style of dressing.

I guess there will always be formal-night threads on CC and there will always be those who defend the old mores. But every year the makeup of cruise passengers shifts a little more to the informal side. Fewer and fewer men even own a tux, much less want to pay the extra airline fees to bring it. Suits are now seen as a hated but necessary demand of the work environment, not as a natural part of the landscape -- and therefore ditched immediately on shifting into vacation mode. So every year the atmosphere on formal night will be less formal.

It's interesting that the luxury cruise lines have moved quickly to accommodate this trend. Oceania has no formal nights. Even Crystal now has only "black tie optional" nights. This battle is now restricted only to the middle tier cruise lines like Princess, and it will inevitably be lost there as well.

Yes - it does bother me to eat in the same room as those who are dressed inappropriately. (Let the cruise line define "appropriate" with their dress code.) Yes - it does impact my service and food because it is distracting.

I suppose it is because it shows lack of respect for other people, and I am "other people" so I feel insulted. Why should I have to change cruise lines? These doofuses buy the same ticket I do - and they are aware of the dress code just as I am. Let THEM change cruise lines.

As it is, I don't think the dress code is that restrictive - The head waiter/maître d' should do his job and enforce the expectations...because when he "avoids confrontation" he is also showing a lack of respect for the guests that do meet the expectations - and for his hard working staff.

Maddle

YOU GO GIRL!!! you stated that beautifully. Thank you, I feel the same way.

sunsetbeachgal hit the nail on the head. Inconsistency between ships makes it difficult at best.

For some reason, the Sapphire seems to be the ship that adheres to Formal Night. We did see people turned away from the Crown Grille because of short sleeves. The gentleman was wearing a very nice polo type shirt but they would not let him in. So there you go.;)

I agree, if you don't want to get dressed up, there are other options available to you, including room service.

Also, why should I change cruise lines? I like Princess and will follow the rules for Dining. I do see a problem, however, with the inconsistency between the ships. If you were on one ship and no "rules", then why would you not think it applied across the Line. :confused:

sunsetbeachgal hit the nail on the head. Inconsistency between ships makes it difficult at best.

For some reason, the Sapphire seems to be the ship that adheres to Formal Night. We did see people turned away from the Crown Grille because of short sleeves. The gentleman was wearing a very nice polo type shirt but they would not let him in. So there you go.;)

The gentleman should not have been turned away from the Crown Grill because of a short sleeved shirt as it is "smart casual" every evening according to Princess.:confused:

I wore short sleeve shirts every evening we dined at the Crown Grill (4 times) on our recent Ruby cruise.

Talk about inconsistencies.;)

Mike

We were on the Crown Princess last month for the Super Bowl cruise. There was a rather large group on board from the Cleveland, OH area. On several night we noticed that men were being allowed in the MDR with shorts. This also occurred on formal night and I decided to ask the head waiter about it and his response was that since it was a special group on board to celebrate super bowl they weren't enforcing the dress rules. I asked him why the rest of the passengers weren't notified of this change and he had no answer for me. It is one thing when they wear a nice pair of dress shorts and a golf type shirt, but cargo shorts and a t-shirt don't belong in the dining room. If you don't want to follow the rules then sail on a line that can accommodate your style of dressing.

I was on that cruise! I saw the same thing. One night we saw a guy in shorts and undershirt-not even a "tee" shirt and shoes with no socks....It was not a formal night, but that was pathetic for the MDR.

On the other hand, on the last formal night of that very cruise we were seated with two men. One has a suit and no tie and the other has a suit and tie. I was wearing my tux. Another couple joined us. the man has a pair of dress shoes, a pair of dress pants and what was apparently, his formal aloha shirt. As the dinner progressed we had a good time, but I could see that guy was uncomfortable in his alohas shirt. The couple left before dessert.....FWIW.

Edited by AKman2495

The gentleman should not have been turned away from the Crown Grill because of a short sleeved shirt as it is "smart casual" every evening according to Princess.:confused:

I wore short sleeve shirts every evening we dined at the Crown Grill (4 times) on our recent Ruby cruise.

Mike

As does my husband - and we always go to the Crown Grill or Sabatinis on 'formal' night because we don't bring dressy clothes (since we are retired now they are relegated to weddings and funerals). If my husband had been denied service, I would have made it to our cabin, grabbed the Patter and the welcome letter about dining venues, and made it back to the Crown Grill in record time. Next stop would have been Passenger Services. Final stop, if necessary, would be corporate customer service.

I say all this as a cruiser whose brother was turned away - and rightfully so since his wife and I had warned him - from the MDR on the Royal when he showed up in shorts. He changed and returned. So I have no problem with Princess staff following their own rules but when they decide to make up new ones, that is just asking for problems.

Mike

I agree, Mike. The guy did ask to see the next person up.:D:D He did get the same answer. By the way, there was very few of us in the CG that night. It was an Alaska Cruise and most people were wearing "smart Casual" in the DR every night.:)

And they are a higher end line...

I think they could see that was the way of the future and didn't want to argue with guests.

Every night is "smart casual".

We sail all the cruise lines and they have all definitely gotten more casual.

The only time I really saw anything enforced was last year on a Celebrity cruise.

If a man was not wearing a jacket, they were pulled aside and GIVEN one to wear during dinner.

"special" to whom?? In their own minds maybe, but certainly not to everyone who dressed in accordance with Princess' guidelines. This really would have annoyed me, especially on formal night.

I agree that Princess' inconsistency is at the root of the problem. Either enforce your current guidelines fleet-wide or change them. :mad:

While we do drag along the suit and fancy dress for formal night in the dining room, we also always make a pit stop after to change into our more vacation wear for the rest of the evening. I would hope that I will never be required to wear formal wear all evening...ugh! I suit daily for work but he moment I am home it is gone and while I understand for some folks it is a cruise only time to be dressed when you wear hose and heels daily honest it is not something I want to relax in all night. I will say this is the most respectful conversation on this topic as it does get super heated! Also, my spouse had a severe leg/foot injury which has involved bracing and many surgical procedures....please don't judge shoes you may have no idea that the person is truly unable to wear anything but specific kinds due to illness or injury. We cruised about 6 months after he came home from rehab and he could find one pair of black shoes that fit...were they pretty no, comfortable not so much but they fit so they were the formal night shoe, the casual nights he wore a new pair of athletic shoes purchased right befor the trip and super clean as conforming as possible....the staff was wonderful as he limped around but some of the guest when they saw these beauties not so much...I get it they are ugly orthopedic shoes but he was walking again and oh my had someone had the nerve to comment on his shoe type...

While we do drag along the suit and fancy dress for formal night in the dining room, we also always make a pit stop after to change into our more vacation wear for the rest of the evening. I would hope that I will never be required to wear formal wear all evening...ugh! I suit daily for work but he moment I am home it is gone and while I understand for some folks it is a cruise only time to be dressed when you wear hose and heels daily honest it is not something I want to relax in all night. I will say this is the most respectful conversation on this topic as it does get super heated! Also, my spouse had a severe leg/foot injury which has involved bracing and many surgical procedures....please don't judge shoes you may have no idea that the person is truly unable to wear anything but specific kinds due to illness or injury. We cruised about 6 months after he came home from rehab and he could find one pair of black shoes that fit...were they pretty no, comfortable not so much but they fit so they were the formal night shoe, the casual nights he wore a new pair of athletic shoes purchased right befor the trip and super clean as conforming as possible....the staff was wonderful as he limped around but some of the guest when they saw these beauties not so much...I get it they are ugly orthopedic shoes but he was walking again and oh my had someone had the nerve to comment on his shoe type...

I dont get it. Why would you even be concerned what other Cruisers thought of what you are wearing on your body or feet. It's no one elses business. Who cares! No excuses required.