Coffee farm excursion from Puerto Quetzal

williet62

My family and friends cruised with Celebrity in Feb 2014. With great coffee coming from Guatamala, we thought it would be a natural for a good excursion. Most of the offerings listed on CC, and elsewhere either were not that well thought of, or too far to make a day trip. I did find a company that works in the Antigua area, about 90 minutes from the port. They have not worked with cruise visitors before, but we put together a great excursion that included transportation to and from the port, a three hour tour wight the farmer and interpreter, a lunch, and a 90 minute driving/walking visit into Antigua proper.

I would recommend it for an off-the-beaten-path adventure. It did require walking on the farm and in town - so sturdy legs and some endurance, and it is quite warm in Guatamala this time of year.

The company we booked with is actually an American non-profit that helps the farmers - AsGreenAsItGets. They have a website and I arranged the whole thing via email. Their management of tour logistics is a little rough in places, but everything worked out quite well for us, and I would recommend them.

Our cost for the whole package was well below cruise ship offering price for a comparable excursion. I would recommend a party of at least 6, as the transportation is a major part of the cost.

Enjoying the Guatamalan coffee,

Willie