? re:Miners Museum & Tour Sydney Nova Scotia

We will be in Sydney Nova Scotia Monday Sept 29th between 9:00am to 5:00pm. At this point we are interested in visiting the Miners Museum and taking the Underground Tour. What would be our best option for getting to the Miners Museum. Should we rent a car?? or I think I have read there is a city bus that will take us there.

If we rent a car do you think we would have time to do some additional drive sightseeing. And if so, what would you suggest. We are a family of six adults traveling together. We enjoy exploring new things, and especially enjoy the outdoors! I realize the mine is underground, but this is something we have never done.

I have considered a scenic driving tour for this stop... we have done things like this before such as while in Hawaii we drove the road to Hana, while in Alaska we drove from Skagway to Emerald Lake viewing the Yukon and while in Scottsdale, AZ we drove the Apache Trail. Each we loved and took a ton of pictures!!

As you can tell.....making a decision for this port stop is a hard one to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

The public transit can get you out there, however, it is very slow and does not run consistently (ie like every hour) like bigger city systems do. Glace Bay is at least 20-25 minutes away as it is, on the bus it is much longer. I would definitely not recommend city transit for this (and I am the type that takes transit when ver I can when I travel). Not sure if it goes right by the museum either.

You could probably do a cab tour, not sure of the expense of this. A rental is probably the best way to go.

The most scenic drive is the Cabot Trail, however, you won't be able to do both.

After you are done at the museum, depending on how much time you have, you have two options for a more scenic drive than the direct Sydney to Glace Bay Highway.

You can take part of the Fleur-de-Lis/Marconi trail back towards Louisbourg. This will take you along the ocean, through a few little fishing villages and into Louisbourg and catch site of the Fortress of Louisbourg if you want. Then you can take the Sydney/Louisbourg Highway back into town. You wouldn't have time to do the Fortress too but you could see the town and Fortress across the water.

I mapped the route (don't know how to share it) and its about 69 km/43 miles from the museum to downtown Louisbourg. Keep in mind these are secondary highways with speed limit of 70-80 km/hr. Google is saying 1 1/2 hours for this route.

Its another 34 km/21 m back to Sydney from Louisbourg.

You could also shorten this by not going all the way to Louisbourg. You can cut over to the Louisbourg highway around Mira Gut (searchable on Google Maps) via Hornes Road or Brickyard Road, or when you get to Main a Dieu, you can cut back over as well.

If you don't have enough time for that, you can take a drive through Dominion, New Waterford and along the Sydney/New Waterford Highway back into town. It will take you through a couple of old mining towns and along the harbour. It is a much shorter drive than the Louisbourg option, but a little longer than the direct route.

You can see both routes here. The yellow is from Glace Bay to Louisbourg. The black route from Glace Bay to Sydney via New Waterford.

http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/ourregions/scenic_travelways/fleurdelis_marconi_metrocb/map.aspx

If you want more details on either route, let me know. I could do a screen shot at home, just can't right now.

ETA - I like the mine tour too. I can't remember how long it was though.

Edited by 1kaper

I did the Holland America tour and it took quite awhile as I recall.

I really enjoyed the coal mine tour, but be advised that if you are claustrophobic this is not for you. Also, you have to walk bent over quite a bit during the mine tour. Further, if you have mobility issues, this also will be difficult.

DaveOKC

Here is a map with a couple choices:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&daddr=Miners%27+Museum,+Museum+Street,+Glace+Bay,+NS+to:46.141446,-59.9633928+to:Louisbourg,+NS+to:Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&hl=en&sll=46.090377,-60.283356&sspn=0.557154,1.344452&geocode=FcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg%3BFarYwAIdeVtt_CE2FmIrhBL38SnxYVzH1-FnSzE2FmIrhBL38Q%3BFQYQwAIdAAht_CkZqpEG6wloSzHPsqG1SrY29g%3BFV5CvAIdcLFs_CGJxUo4LbE33ymDU16gUx1oSzGJxUo4LbE33w%3BFcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg&oq=esp&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=2&t=m&z=10

I don't remember doing much bending over in the mine tour but perhaps it just didn't bother me. It was a very interesting tour.

Here are instruction about taking the bus to Glace Bay. However, it would not be the best use of your time:

We set our sights on The Miners' Museum (a AAA Gem) located in nearby Glace Bay. They are open 10:00am - 6:00pm and costs $6 pp + Mine Tour $6 pp. The bus stop is about 4 blocks from the pier. Take Esplanade to Dorchester to George. Wait at the glass-enclosed bus stop on Dorchester just short of George Street. Take the #1 Glace Bay bus at 9:00am. It may arrive early but it will wait and leave on the hour. The ride takes about 50 minutes. Once you arrive in Glace Bay, get off on Commercial (between Marconi and York, across the street from Tim Hortons). Walk downhill on Commercial St. Commercial becomes South after you cross over a stream. Continue on South St and turn left at Birkley St. The museum will be straight ahead, about 2 blocks. (Total walk is 1.1 km, which will take you about 20 minutes). You will see occasional signage.

The Miners' Museum has a movie and exhibits on coal mining, methods, tools, and history. The real value in visiting the museum is the tour, led by retired coal miners who share with you their coal mining experiences. You go underground into a 1932 'room and pillar' coal mine where you will see coal-lined walls and learn from a true insider about the mining methods and working conditions. He will share his stories with you as you enter one tunnel after another. The tour is advertised to last 20 minutes. Our 10-person tour lasted at least an hour. Highly recommended!

Catch the return bus on Marconi Street, near where you arrived, at Noon or 1:00pm (and arrive 1 hour later). If you get back to the bus stop a little early, stop in at Tim Hortons for a fresh Krispy Kreme-style doughnut or muffin, and coffee or hot chocolate.

Cost for the bus was $3.25pp 1 way (except Saturdays where all fares are just 1 Loonie). Discount bus fare books of $13.75 can be bought for $12.50 at any Shoppers Drug Mart store or Sydney Citizen Service Centre (320 Esplanade in Sydney 8:30am - 4:30pm). Allow a total of 6 hours for this excursion (1.5 hours for the bus and walk each way and 3 hours for the museum and mine tour). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768421 What to do in 5 Canadian Ports: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

I wrote it out anyway in case anyone else was interested.

I mapped it out starting from Discount Car Rental on Prince St since its the closest to the cruise terminal. The other two are just farther up on the same road. I believe most of the companies, if not all, will pick you up.

The route takes you from downtown Sydney to the Miners Museum. After the museum you drive out through Donkin, another old mining town, to Mira Gut, where the Mira River meets that ocean. Its a popular beach in the summer with a long sandbar perfect for kids, there are lifeguards on duty during the summer season. The water is usually chilly water even in the summer.

(you can shorten the drive here by taking either Hornes Road or Brickyard Road all the way to the end where the connect to the Louisbourg Highway, a right hand turn will take you back to Sydney).

You continue on Mira Bay Drive along the ocean into Main a Dieu, a small fishing community. To continue to Louisbourg you make a right hand turn at the intersection. A left will take you for a very short drive past the harbour (probably around 1km). The primary fishery here is lobster with some craba and a few others. There used to be a nice look off at the end but I'm not sure if you can still drive up there now.

As you continue back out towards Louisbourg, you'll pass Main a Dieu beach. Another nice beach in the summer, cold water but very few people go here. From there you'll pass through Little Lorraine and eventually meet up with the Sydney/Louisbourg Highway. Take a left here and you aren't far from downtown Louisbourg.

Just before you enter the town, you can take a left turn onto Havenside Road. There is a lighthouse at the end and a view of the Fortress across the water. There is also an easy walking/hiking trail here.

http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/thingstoseeanddo/listingdetails.aspx/louisbourg-lighthouse-trail/2142

After you finish in Louisbourg you head back out Main Street, onto the Louisbourg Highway and straight into Sydney. You'll cross over the Mira River again at Albert Bridge. Just before the bridge, on the Louisbourg side, there is a Shell gas station called Mullins. If you are heading directly out Louisbourg and want a snack they have great homemade bread, sandwiches, ice cream and other snacks. (if you are heading out from Sydney it's after the bridge) Across the road is a little shop that sells crystal, Island Crystal.

The whole drive according to Google is 2 hours and 20 minutes. Its about 20-25 minutes from downtown Sydney to Glace Bay and about 30-40 minutes from Louisbourg directly to Sydney.

Hopefully you can see the map here

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/195+Prince+St,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+5K4/Cape+Breton+Miners'+Museum,+42+Birkley+St,+Glace+Bay,+NS/Donkin,+NS/Mira+Gut,+NS/Main-a-dieu,+NS/Little+Lorraine,+NS/Main+St,+Louisbourg,+NS/195+Prince+St,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+5K4/@46.0598075,-60.153118,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m50!4m49!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b67fb3172e5f0f7:0x7cc940ab30ff27e6!2m2!1d-60.1893163!2d46.138922!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b67e1d7c75c61f1:0xf1f712842b621636!2m2!1d-59.942023!2d46.19281!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b680b7348b28735:0x373d1fd9edaf992!2m2!1d-59.874638!2d46.181542!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b68042582002ce7:0xc39d60d60cfa4c16!2m2!1d-59.9681654!2d46.0389295!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b681ac541e20fa5:0x40878fe9ad430e41!2m2!1d-59.8462239!2d46.005176!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b681c8e1bf569c1:0x48021aec579a88fb!2m2!1d-59.8663237!2d45.9528491!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b681d528e7008e9:0x14a77ff5492191ef!2m2!1d-59.967377!2d45.9230025!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b67fb3172e5f0f7:0x7cc940ab30ff27e6!2m2!1d-60.1893163!2d46.138922!3e0

Oh wow, that was so NICE OF YOU to send me a detail Map!!! I am so thankful!!! Okay now I am convinced we need to rent a vehicle for the day.

I hope you like it, I'm a little nervous now. Its a nice drive, but it won't compare with your Hawaii drive. I also hope you have a sunny day. It is obviously much nicer on a nice day. It can get foggy there.

Its definitely a nicer route to take between Glace Bay and Louisbourg although a little longer.

Just a few notes, there isn't a whole lot along the way, just ocean and homes. You'll want to eat in either Glace Bay or Louisbourg, or bring a something. I can't even think of any convenience stores along the way, other than the one mentioned above on the way back in to Sydney. There is only one restaurant I can think on this route between Glace Bay and Louisbourg which is in Port Morien (I forgot about that one, its a nice little town just after Donkin), Dock Y'ur Dory. I checked their site and they are open until September 30. Its been a long time since I've been there so not sure how the food is or how long service would be.

http://www.dockyurdory.com/index.php?pid=46

Mira and Main a Dieu (small as it is, there really is not much to it but I have connections to the area) are two of my favourite places. Of course, the Mira is best experienced on a boat on a summer afternoon.

Edited by 1kaper