Do any of you skip the Formal nights?

tings66

If I were to pack a suit/tux and leather shoes my wife would be furious at me for taking up valuable space for her shopping. Yes I do have my own suitcase but she uses that too.

The whole formal night thing just isn't a part of our world. My wife and I are completely bemused by it. Thank goodness for Blu.

Psssttt... Tell him I figured out the secret to a tie a LONG time ago! If your shirts are too tight in the neck, then a tie is very uncomfortable. If your shirts are the correct neck size (have to tell myself, be honest - TRUE measurement, not what I think it SHOULD be!) then a tie is not uncomfortable in the least! Its not the tie, its buttoning that top button if the neck is too tight! If he can't slip a couple fingers between the collar and his neck after its buttoned, its too small! Maybe you just need to buy him a new dress shirt! :)

IMHO, a sport coat without a tie is fine, a suit without a tie just looks dorky!

Hahaha, I think you hit the nail on the head! He has been saying that gravity is making his neck disappear into his shoulders :D

You may want to reread a couple of posts. I pointed out that not all second bags cost $25. I believe you were the first poster to use the word excuse. I said I couldn't handle three suitcases in Europe. But Nice try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since when do you have to use the word excuse in order for it to be one.:confused: People don't have to justify their choices, they just have to live them. I don't understand why people make such a big deal about their choices. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. It's not necessary to try to talk everyone else into agreeing with you.

DW and I have never skipped dressing up on formal night. We have gone to specialty restaurants on some of those nights, but we still dressed formally. For us that means a long gown for DW and black tie or even white tie for me. This is the only time that we have the opportunity to dress up to make our dinners this elegant. My DW is so stunning in her long dresses that I enjoy going shopping with her to find them.

We love to dance and I am always blown away by how my wife (5'10", elegant, graceful, platinum blonde) looks in her formals all evening. I wouldn't want to miss out on that. I pack 2 tuxes and alternate them just to enjoy the gift of spending an evening with such an exceptional person.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

We too are looking forward to formal nights, as we rarely have the opportunity to dress to the nines. I loved your post and the way you talk so fondly of your beautiful wife.

I am interested to hear that you dress formally in speciality restaurants. We would like to do this but are worried that we may feel uncomfortable if dress formally when most people seem to go to specialities on formal nights in order to dress smart casual. If we dress up will we be in a small minority in speciality restaurants on formal nights?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We too are looking forward to formal nights, as we rarely have the opportunity to dress to the nines. I loved your post and the way you talk so fondly of your beautiful wife.

I am interested to hear that you dress formally in speciality restaurants. We would like to do this but are worried that we may feel uncomfortable if dress formally when most people seem to go to specialities on formal nights in order to dress smart casual. If we dress up will we be in a small minority in speciality restaurants on formal nights?

From my experience you will not be in a small minority, besides, who cares, you'll be formal on Formal Night.

Since when do you have to use the word excuse in order for it to be one.:confused: People don't have to justify their choices, they just have to live them. I don't understand why people make such a big deal about their choices. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. It's not necessary to try to talk everyone else into agreeing with you.

If you don't think it necessary to try to talk everyone else into agreeing with you ,why do you have over 8000 post

We would like to do this but are worried that we may feel uncomfortable if dress formally when most people seem to go to specialities on formal nights in order to dress smart casual. If we dress up will we be in a small minority in speciality restaurants on formal nights?

You will be totally okay being in formal dress in a specialty restaurant on Formal Night! Don't give it a second thought.

I have never felt uncomfortable in the specialty restaurant with formal clothes. It seems that some people are there who want to dress smart casual, but some people just want to eat what the specialty restaurant has to offer on that night. I don't remember a formal night in a specialty restaurant where we were the only ones elegantly dressed.

If you don't think it necessary to try to talk everyone else into agreeing with you ,why do you have over 8000 post

Maybe because I've been posting here for 12 years, taken a lot of cruises and been on many roll calls.

Edited by Ma Bell

We leave in just over two weeks and I have been in negotiations with my husband over the formal night attire. On all of our previous cruises he has always worn a dark suit and tie but suddenly he is saying, "NO MORE!" He is not a fan of suits or tuxes on vacation. In his opinion a tie is kin to a straight jacket and doesn't belong on vacation :rolleyes: As of right now he has agreed to the suit sans tie... I will pack the tie in hopes that with a cocktail or two in him I can persuade him to put it on :D

My husband has also come to the same conclusion. No tie for him on our last two cruises; just the suit and a nice shirt. I thought he looked just fine and we weren't thrown out of the MDR.

my wife loves the formal nights, and as a good loving husband, I follow!

Actually we find it breaks things up a bit. but I do not fault those who choose not to, as it is YOUR vacation.

Sailing on our first TA on the Eclipse......yes there are 3 formals :)

can't wait

We leave in just over two weeks and I have been in negotiations with my husband over the formal night attire. On all of our previous cruises he has always worn a dark suit and tie but suddenly he is saying, "NO MORE!" He is not a fan of suits or tuxes on vacation. In his opinion a tie is kin to a straight jacket and doesn't belong on vacation :rolleyes: As of right now he has agreed to the suit sans tie... I will pack the tie in hopes that with a cocktail or two in him I can persuade him to put it on :D

My husband has also come to the same conclusion. No tie for him on our last two cruises; just the suit and a nice shirt. I thought he looked just fine and we weren't thrown out of the MDR.

I agree with these two! This is what we do as well. Bring the suit and tie and probably, but not always wear the tie. We never have felt out of place. In fact, it has been my experience that most men opt for this. Seeing a tux is becoming more rare (depends on type of cruise, of course).

After cruising for many years, we pack very lightly now. We occasionally will do a formal night if we are sailing with friends if they feel that this cruise will be the one time since the last wedding they went to they can wear their dresses and tuxes. We will play along because they are our friends and that means something to us.

We love Celebrity because of their smoking policy. Not because they have formal nights.

I, however, prefer NCL's attitude towards formal nights. Do it if you enjoy it, skip it if you don't.

We travel internationally all the time. The luggage excuse is just that, an excuse.

Hi Joan. It's been quite a few years, hasn't it? Five plus? Say hi to George.

Limiting myself to one suitcase is a necessity. Traveling solo means watching/managing your suitcase yourself, no second set of eyes while you use the restroom, etc. Porters aren't easily found, at least in my experience, and I certainly won't leave my luggage to go find one. After struggling with two suitcases in airports all over Europe (carrier allows two), I've reprogrammed myself to take only what I can personally manage, even when traveling with a friend. And lo and behold, I didn't really need it. Still go to formal evenings in the MDR occasionally, but just as often as not, will opt for something else. I also rewear my formal top on a long cruise and I'm pretty sure it doesn't smell. :D

The first time we ever skipped a formal night was at the behest of DW. She just came out with it and said let's not bother with it-this is supposed to be a vacation in the Caribbean away from the snow- not a business or social function that we must attend.

So we did not. And since that time we have been attending fewer and fewer to the point where we now plan ahead to skip them. I have no issue with them-many people still want and enjoy formal evenings. More power to them-enjoy.

I often wonder how people can take an extended trip with a carry on. Do they spend a lot of time doing laundry, carry a large can of deodorizer or just keep their distance from others.

Hi, :) to answer your question, I just send out our laundry every other day or so. Our clothes are always clean, & so are we. :)

I don't know why anyone would equate packing light with somehow being dirty/smelly. One could travel with 2 huge suitcases, & if they don't shower twice a day & wash their hair daily, they're not going to be clean, regardless of how many clothes they bring.

Not interested in formal nights, but I respect the rules & don't go to the MDR. I also respect other peoples feelings & their individual choices.

If you look at my link to my last photo review there are some pictures of DH & me, I'm happy with the clothes we brought, & we had a wonderful time.:)

on a formal night on our last cruise one guy was wearing a light coloured suit with a tee shirt in the MDR. At least it was color co-ordinated :D.

Whatever rows your boat I guess.

We have skipped some formal nights. Most recently we were on Equinox 10 night cruise and DH wanted to watch the NFL playoff games so we had formal dinner in our cabin. We had a CS so the butler brought us our dinner. Very nice, wonderful evening...just the two of us. On another occassion, we were wiped from a day in port, ran up to buffet and returned to our regular balcony and dined. Again, very nice.

for our european cruise next year, I plan on taking 1 (yes 1) dress for formal night and DH will take his suit, 1 shirt and different ties. We will launder our clothes as needed. I want to pack as light as possbile for europe and am already investigating ways to do this!

Edited by H2OH!

We cruised for the very first time in February and did formal nights because we wanted to experienced has much as possible what the ship has to offer but we'll skip them next year, we have booked Aqua Class and we'll travel lighter. ;)

I think doing formal nights is great when you first start cruising. IMO, afterwards it wears off.....as I said.... just my opinion:D

Totally agree with happy2cruise. On our 1st cruise (22 ago), I brought the tux and 2formal shirts. DW Had a beaded gown that must have weighed 25 lbs. I think we had 7 or 8 bags and almost capsized the ship. I would guess that 75% of the men wore tuxes and almost all the women wore gowns or cocktail dresses. I think the only dinner options were the dining room, limited options at the buffet or a turkey sandwich from rom service.

Different world now with more options and more charges for luggage. We no longer have the interest or motivation for formal wear. The cruise is for relaxation and off-time. By this time next week we will be in the ocean off Miami with a total of 2 (maybe 3) suitcases.